Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How technologically advanced should batman be

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Are there things you feel he should not be able to engineer? Or do you think he should have even more gadgets?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

As advanced as he is right now.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SOG7dc
    Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@sog7dc: A bit. I prefer when they focus Batman's intelligence on his strategies and plans, not his ability to create technology.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He built brother eye, the insider suit, that cloaking suit that allowed him to hide from Superman along with a whole other list of mech suits and gadgets. I mean how much more technologically advanced could he get?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

He should be Stark level when he actually has time to build things. He should be a Doom lvl strategist though. Maybe even higher.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Knightfall225

I like where he is now but new tech equipment modifications wouldnt hurt

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In JL books, I like him to have super-awesome tech. But in terms of his own title, I like whatever tech he has to be somewhat limited, and focus more on his MA prowess and detective mind.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

In JL books, I like him to have super-awesome tech. But in terms of his own title, I like whatever tech he has to be somewhat limited, and focus more on his MA prowess and detective mind.

Geoff would never let Batman look smart lol.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

I liked how in Morrison's run, Batman had a 'sci-fi closet' of tech that he used only during JL missions. A flying saucer and a Boom Tube gauntlet!

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@veshark said:

I liked how in Morrison's run, Batman had a 'sci-fi closet' of tech that he used only during JL missions. A flying saucer and a Boom Tube gauntlet!

Lol and in Geoff Johns run Batman has just tasers and Batarangs. Lol I think Morrison might be the best Batman writer to date lol.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@veshark said:

Lol and in Geoff Johns run Batman has just tasers and Batarangs. Lol I think Morrison might be the best Batman writer to date lol.

I think in the Origin arc, Bats was still kind of young, so I can excuse him trying to taser Supes. It was funny, though.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate that people complaints of Batman not being Ironman, but failed to notice when he was, people hated it.

I mean the whole Jean Paul Valley Batman was making him like Ironman and people hated it.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@veshark said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@veshark said:

I think in the Origin arc, Bats was still kind of young, so I can excuse him trying to taser Supes. It was funny, though.

Lol Ya, but I think that was his most advance piece of equipment in JL haha.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he should have what he could reasonably glean from some of the funky alien tech he comes across. Even smart it takes a lot of time/resources to reverse engineer that kind of thing. He's one guy (with money granted), with a full schedule. We see secret organizations with advanced tech, so I think maybe street level type gadgets of that ilk maybe? No starships or crazy crap like that, but small improvements here and there seem fine. I also don't see him outright using stolen tech. I'm not a big fan, so I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to fit his motif

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

1. What @rulerofthisuniverse said

2. He would never be anywhere near Iron Man's level. Especially since that's not really how he utilizes his technology. But Iron Man is the god of technology the same way Dr Doom is basically the god of prep....Batman would never really be in any of their tiers. Nowhere near.

Not trying to downplay his technological or preparation skills AT ALL (and I am a huge fan of the character that got me into comics),but it's just gross overrating to put him in Tony's level. It's like me saying that Tony Stark is in the same level of H2H skill as Batman (maybe even better)....it's just THAT bad.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: sorry man but he already is iron man level

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cameron83

@lifeofvibe: not really. At all. I mean, I know he has suits, but....they're not really anything. For Batman it IS impressive, but its not really impressive for Iron Man (at all).

Like the suit that came from his car. Its cool for batman, but its nothing really for Iron Man.

The suit didn't even do that much

Its like if Batman put missiles in his suit and someone saying that they're now equals in terms of technology. Only an idiot can make that statement. Either that, or a person that overrates Batman grossly (while undermining the skills of the other)

Its also like calling Batman and Lex Luthors suits equal.

Anyway I am just rambling now, but no they are not. Iron man is light years away in terms of technology.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: you do know about the insider suit right?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TDK_1997

When he is on JL mission he should be pretty techy because when you are as smart as him you should have really cool gadgets but in his own solo series he should be more grounded because he doesn't deal with such advanced stuff.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

arkham city. no more.

mr_gone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mr_gone

i like the idea of him being as prepared as need be, like i wouldn't expect him to use space tech on riddler any more than i'd expect him to throw a batarang at mongul

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cameron83

@lifeofvibe: lol why do people always bring that up as if its the pinnacle of comic book technology?

Lol yes I do.

Do you know about model 37, 39 and 40 of the iron man suits?

Do you know about what they can do?

Even his old armor from the 70s was higher. Read up on them, dude.

Do you know of his sentient suits?

Or the Phoenix armor powerful enough to break the cosmic entity known as the Phoenix?

The Insider suit may not even pass Hardware's suit.

As said, even the old suit from the 70s was higher (mainly because it has MUCH more broader weaponry and because it was way more efficient, whereas the Insider suit must take (at the very least, hours to more than a day, at the least. Not only that, but the old suit was still better in virtually every way, anyway). Not trying to discredit it, but its not really anywhere in Iron mans level.

And I already know of its abilities, so don't waste your time. :)

http://www.advancediron.org/forums/index.php?topic=279.0

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=689152

http://www.comicvine.com/iron-man/4005-1455/forums/iron-man-respect-thread-1470198/

Those are just a few feats I could find of his incredibly outdated suits

And besides, that DCU and all that are in it doesn't exist anymore.

And I hope I don't sound rude

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
    teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that he is a slave to his stories and enemies. If he is fighting street levellers then some basics are ok. Once he starts having to take on powerful characters, his lack of powers needs to be balanced to offer the semblance of a viable battle. I think IMHO that he is really just an abstraction of Superman. his strength is his weakness...prep. it solves all, but inherently requires time. His level of tech helps balance this weakness. He has to be hi tech. ridiculously so.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Well damn bro I thought Batmans Superman Unchained suit was pretty nice.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cameron83

@theocitylegend said:

@cameron83: Well damn bro I thought Batmans Superman Unchained suit was pretty nice.

It was. I liked the design.

I am DEFINITELY NOT SAYING that Batman ISN'T high tech or one of the best on his earth,but his best suit isn't anywhere near Iron Man's okay suit.

It's like me saying that,at the very least,Iron Man is Batman's equal in terms of h2h. And then him fighting canon fodder and me using that as proof.

Do you see what I mean? That's how silly it is.

I mean,basically,Batman's suits are definitely impressive (especially for him),but they aren't anything special for someone like Iron Man or Hardware.

Batman's suits aren't even anywhere near same level as Iron Man's old outdated ones.

It's like me saying that Black Bolt and Black Canary are on equal footing in terms of sonic powers,which they are definitely not.

It's like me saying that Wally West and Speed (from Young Avengers) are on equal footing.

Do you see what I mean? ^.^

It's just widely recognized basic knowledge.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@theocitylegend said:

I am DEFINITELY NOT SAYING that Batman ISN'T high tech or one of the best on his earth,but his best suit isn't anywhere near Iron Man's okay suit.

It's like me saying that,at the very least,Iron Man is Batman's equal in terms of h2h. And then him fighting canon fodder and me using that as proof.

I mean,basically,Batman's suits are definitely impressive (especially for him),but they aren't anything special for someone like Iron Man or Hardware.

Batman's suits aren't even anywhere near same level as Iron Man's old outdated ones.

It's like me saying that Black Bolt and Black Canary are on equal footing in terms of sonic powers,which they are definitely not.

It's like me saying that Wally West and Speed (from Young Avengers) are on equal footing.

Yeah Iron Man's suits are much better but considering that making suits is pretty much his gimmick it's to be expected. Batman is a combo of tech, detective skills and martial artist so his time is split 3 ways of course his suits aren't going to be as good as Tony's. Someone who has spent his whole life building high tech suits, I'm sure if Bruce were to have focused all of his time on building suits he would be a lot closer to Tony's level. Considering he doesn't focus all his attention on that one area I'd say he's respectably close to Tony.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cameron83

@jack_donaghy said:

@cameron83 said:

@theocitylegend said:

Yeah Iron Man's suits are much better but considering that making suits is pretty much his gimmick it's to be expected. Batman is a combo of tech, detective skills and martial artist so his time is split 3 ways of course his suits aren't going to be as good as Tony's. Someone who has spent his whole life building high tech suits, I'm sure if Bruce were to have focused all of his time on building suits he would be a lot closer to Tony's level. Considering he doesn't focus all his attention on that one area I'd say he's respectably close to Tony.

I see your point.

I mean,and I agree and that's one of my points. One of Tony's main things is technology. And for a damn good reason,too,because he is the god of technology and engineering in comics (because he earned that title). No one can possibly come close to his level. But that's one of his main things. It's expected.

That was one of my points. In terms of technology,Tony is the God and no one comes close because that's one of his main focuses. It's one of the things he's recognized for.

It's like comparing some Z-list character who was just created (and their main focuses is detective work) and comparing them to Batman.

I mean,Batman is the god of detectives in comics. He earned the title and no one comes close,and that's one of his main focuses.

Likewise,one of Tony's main focuses is Technology,and he is the God of tech and he earned that title.

THAT isn't to say that Bruce doesn't have impressive and awesome suits and technology,but Tony is in a completely different tier to the point that Batman doesn't even compete.

I mean,I was always making that mistake into thinking that they were anywhere near each other in terms of technology when I was younger.Even though Batman got me into comics and I STILL like him.

I mean,Batman probably comes closer to movie Iron Man...but at the same time,movie Iron Man still far surpasses him in technology. But that's one of his focuses.....

Do you see what I mean? ;)

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy said:

@cameron83 said:

@theocitylegend said:

I see your point.

I mean,and I agree and that's one of my points. One of Tony's main things is technology. And for a damn good reason,too,because he is the god of technology and engineering in comics (because he earned that title). No one can possibly come close to his level. But that's one of his main things. It's expected.

That was one of my points. In terms of technology,Tony is the God and no one comes close because that's one of his main focuses. It's one of the things he's recognized for.

It's like comparing some Z-list character who was just created (and their main focuses is detective work) and comparing them to Batman.

I mean,Batman is the god of detectives in comics. He earned the title and no one comes close,and that's one of his main focuses.

Likewise,one of Tony's main focuses is Technology,and he is the God of tech and he earned that title.

THAT isn't to say that Bruce doesn't have impressive and awesome suits and technology,but Tony is in a completely different tier to the point that Batman doesn't even compete.

I mean,I was always making that mistake into thinking that they were anywhere near each other in terms of technology when I was younger.Even though Batman got me into comics and I STILL like him.

I mean,Batman probably comes closer to movie Iron Man...but at the same time,movie Iron Man still far surpasses him in technology. But that's one of his focuses.....

Do you see what I mean? ;)

Exactly, Tony was created to be the ultimate tech superhero so it's no shame for Batman to not be as good as him in that regard. Batman was intended to use technology but not at the level Tony is, his detective skills and fighting ability are more important to his character.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: there was also a cameo of a suit for throne of atlantas he was planing on using it against the atlantians so yeah

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cameron83

@jack_donaghy: : @lifeofvibe: lol yeah, I saw it.

Its not like tony has armor fron the 80s that can submerge in deep sea travel....oh wait........

But its not like his standard suits are also capable of doing so due to being airtight (even the outdated one from the 70s)....

Oh wait......

I agree completely, Jack

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: im just thinking that it was able to stand up against an atlatian thats all so yeah there also that

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cameron83

@lifeofvibe said:

@cameron83: im just thinking that it was able to stand up against an atlatian thats all so yeah there also that

Can it show that it can or is this just speculation on a mostly baseless premise?

And again,that's f*cking nothing.

As said,his standard armor can submerge deeply underwater and can withstand a hit that sends him smashing through buildings and sends him flying thousands of miles away through a mountain and withstanding the force of a machine that is designed to easily go through mountains. And also endure getting run over with a hundred yard tank

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ironboy/media/iron%20man/IronManv1216-17.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ironboy/media/iron%20man/IronManv1258-0203.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ironboy/media/iron%20man/IronManv1095-02.jpg.html

And survive a satellite explosion (and go in space):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Ironboy/iron%20man/19.jpg

and surviving the whiplash from a black hole, and the black hole itself. It's just a city sized one by the way:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...26_DCP_025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...26_DCP_026.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...26_DCP_028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...26_DCP_029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...26_DCP_030.jpg

and whiplashed for,at the very least,3 miles:

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...CP_004-005.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...27_DCP_007.jpg

And withstanding the pressure of the ocean and getting hit by atlanteans (that are wearing his armor):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...anv1175-19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...anv1175-20.jpg

All of this with his old armor

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should be capable of making very advanced technology, but chose to rely on standard equipment and body armor when in Gotham. For convenience sake.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

He should be capable of making very advanced technology, but chose to rely on standard equipment and body armor when in Gotham. For convenience sake.

indeed.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As advanced as he is right now.

@dayvid3 said:

I think he should have what he could reasonably glean from some of the funky alien tech he comes across. Even smart it takes a lot of time/resources to reverse engineer that kind of thing. He's one guy (with money granted), with a full schedule. We see secret organizations with advanced tech, so I think maybe street level type gadgets of that ilk maybe? No starships or crazy crap like that, but small improvements here and there seem fine. I also don't see him outright using stolen tech. I'm not a big fan, so I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to fit his motif

He built brother eye, the insider suit, that cloaking suit that allowed him to hide from Superman along with a whole other list of mech suits and gadgets. I mean how much more technologically advanced could he get?

I agree with each of these posts. He should be on the cutting edge of technology in his universe, but none of it is ever designed to be lethal, and he specifically avoids using the tech he gains from his enemies. So he shouldn't be anywhere near Iron Man, because he doesn't try to be Iron Man.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By roboadmiral

Batman should always be cutting edge, but it should never evolve to the point where the suit or the gear is doing more work than he is. The suit is armored to protect him from knives, bullets, etc, but he's still better off avoiding being shot or stabbed altogether. The suit can help him blend more effectively with the shadows, but it's his talent for stealth that's keeping him hidden. The grapple gun does negate a lot of the work of climbing, but that's okay because it still takes a considerable degree of skill to use in a way that doesn't get you killed.

Batman's greatest weapons are his skill, intelligence, and experience. His gear should always be augmenting this, but never going so far as to replace it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman should always be cutting edge, but it should never evolve to the point where the suit or the gear is doing more work than he is. The suit is armored to protect him from knives, bullets, etc, but he's still better off avoiding being shot or stabbed altogether. The suit can help him blend more effectively with the shadows, but it's his talent for stealth that's keeping him hidden. The grapple gun does negate a lot of the work of climbing, but that's okay because it still takes a considerable degree of skill to use in a way that doesn't get you killed.

Batman's greatest weapons are his skill, intelligence, and experience. His gear should always be augmenting this, but never going so far as to replace it.

This.

As said,it should be as advanced as it is in pre-new 52,where it resembled the Arkhamverse. He didn't rely on it,but it was more of just a little help.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most advanced than military, secret services, and any government in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.