how smart is batman?

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by IAMtheHERO (268 posts) - - Show Bio

what other characters mental level is he on? is he as smart as ozymandias from watchmen? or maybe even Mr. terrific?

#1 Posted by IAMtheHERO (268 posts) - - Show Bio

anyone?

#2 Edited by batman_is_god (1173 posts) - - Show Bio

He's smarter than either of them. Reed Richards is the only one I can see being smarter than Batman.
#3 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (13068 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is smarter that anyone, look at his movies, video games and everything he is in, he is richer and more famous.
That is the vidence thta he is smarter that Reed, since people never buy Reed things

#4 Posted by IAMtheHERO (268 posts) - - Show Bio
@batman_is_god: @DeathpooltheT1000: so ur saying batman is the smartest person on earth?
#5 Posted by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

He's on par with Luthor and Mr. Terrific.

#6 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Bat smarts! Sorry awful joke!  
 
As far as street smarts goes he's a genius! In the scientific level, he's good, but not great as Reed Richards, but he got plenty of creations, inventions, physics theories and many undergoing projects in the form of blueprints, he also know forensics, history and and a great insight into the human psych. He's very, very intelligent like Tony Stark, but he's just not too focus in one single area, he's a man of many  expertise, what, in my personal opinion, makes him even more awesome.

#7 Posted by batman_is_god (1173 posts) - - Show Bio
@IAMtheHERO:
Like I said, Mr. Fantastic is the only one I could see being smarter.
#8 Posted by The Angry Comic Book Critic (639 posts) - - Show Bio

He's smarter then the average bat suit wearing whacky man in tights who broods over a childhood trauma due to an inability to seek therapy to help deal with said trauma without having to act out his deepest fantasies in order to seek revenge on the people he feels have wronged him.....why did I just go all Freudian there? :)

#9 Posted by brc2000 (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

On a purely scientific basis, there are tons of smarter characters, but when it comes to all round smarts, there are few better.

#10 Posted by ValendianKnight (296 posts) - - Show Bio

He's smarter than any human probably.

#11 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (13068 posts) - - Show Bio
@IAMtheHERO: Smarter normal human being, yes.
#12 Edited by Braindrill (33 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to over due it buuut I guess I would say he is a bit smarter then me.
#13 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5523 posts) - - Show Bio

As smart as humanly possible

#14 Posted by Telcalipoca (963 posts) - - Show Bio

he brilliant enough to receive highest awards in whatever field he knows.and those he doesnt give him time and hell nail them.

#15 Posted by junkmasterzero (249 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Strategically; Bats is number one. 
 
On pure IQ, there'd be a few higher than him. But Batman is easily the most effective with his intellect.

#17 Posted by junkmasterzero (249 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's on par with Tony Stark as far as technology goes. It really depends on the subject is. 

#19 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Intelligence is really hard to judge. There are different areas of intelligence that someone can be really strong at such as Dr. Strange having vast knowledge in magic. I would say overall, Batman is probably more intelligent than Ozymandias and Mr. Terrific. Obviously, Ozy would be more intelligent when it comes to genetics as he created his pet(the name escapes me) and the giant squid, but Batman would be him in other areas such as  Technology.

#20 Posted by alexander121793 (225 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opionon one of Batman's biggest advantage's is that he is a jack of all trades.

 

Basicly here is how I sum up Batman he is incredibly smart at numerous things.

 

Unlike Tony Stark, Reed Richards ect. Batman never specilized he studied virtualy ever disiplen known to man and trained them to near perfecion.

 

Basicly Tony Stark, Ozymandias, Dr,  Doom ect. are better at their specilty's but Batman exeeds them in other areas.

 

Basicly Tony Stark, Ozymandias, Dr. Doom ect. are specilist's while Batman is a jack of all trades.

 

They suceed him at individual things but Batman exceeds them in other areas.

#21 Posted by vishwasshrikhande (18 posts) - - Show Bio
@Croaker:  agree to this. He was the only person to stand up when Luthor became the president.
#22 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some areas where Batman is not as intelligent as others.  For isntance Barbara Gordon has a much better memory than he does (she calls it photographic).  Memory is definitely an aspect of intelligence.  Conversely the ability to interact with people is also a form of intelligence.  Bruce would have much better ability to interact with others than say Reed Richards has (keep in mind Bruce is a master impersonator)

 

Also there is no way that Elongated Man is a better detective than Bruce. 
   

#23 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

Smarter than everyone on his planet, probably at the same smart level as Reed Richards

#24 Edited by DEGRAAF (7939 posts) - - Show Bio

He (Bruce) and Luthor (who is consider above a 12th level intellect) are the top two  smartest people on the planet i believe. I would say he is on par with Tony Stark from Marvel. He is not a scientific break through type genius. He can create new systems, gadgets, vehicles and strategies but he is not the type that can build a teleporter or mother box. To me he seems a little closed minded when it comes to anything outside of strategy.

 

Mr. Terrific is said to be the 3rd smartest person in the world. Im not sure where Red Tornado, Martian Manhunter, Doctor Mid-night, or Ray Palmer fit in to the ranks since ones a robot, ones a martian and Ray i think should be considered smarter than all of them. There is also Toyman (the kid) who at least in the animated movie Batman went to when either he couldnt figure it out himself or just didnt have time.

#25 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio
@junkmasterzero said:
" Forgot one, Ralph Dibny, he's a better detective. "
Really? Can you tell me why?
#26 Posted by DEGRAAF (7939 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by entropy_aegis (15630 posts) - - Show Bio

Prometheus and Sivana are pretty smart too.Joker,Deathstroke,Bane,Ra's al ghul and some Flash rogues deserve a mention too.

#28 Posted by entropy_aegis (15630 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
"

There are some areas where Batman is not as intelligent as others.  For isntance Barbara Gordon has a much better memory than he does (she calls it photographic).  Memory is definitely an aspect of intelligence.  Conversely the ability to interact with people is also a form of intelligence.  Bruce would have much better ability to interact with others than say Reed Richards has (keep in mind Bruce is a master impersonator)

 

Also there is no way that Elongated Man is a better detective than Bruce. 
   

"
Bane has photographic memory,that does'nt make him smarter than Batman,so i don't see why Babs should be either.
#29 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio


@entropy_aegis

 

Intelligence has many different aspects to it.  Beethoven was a genius because he could compose extremely complex mousic even though he was mostly deaf.  Can Batman do that?  Probably not.  Does that not make him a genius though?  Also no, jut his genius is defined in a different way.  Intelligence is composed of a lot of different aspects - creativity, the capacity for abstract thought, memory, wisdom, analytical ability, curiosity, and the ability to communicate are only some of those.  For this reason I think it is hard to say anyone is smarter than anyone in a fictional universe.  I think the ranking in Marvel should more accurately be "Who has the most scientific capacity?" not "Who is the most intelligent?"  This doesnt work as well for DC because there are not as many scientifically based characters. 

#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (15630 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
"


@entropy_aegis

 

Intelligence has many different aspects to it.  Beethoven was a genius because he could compose extremely complex mousic even though he was mostly deaf.  Can Batman do that?  Probably not.  Does that not make him a genius though?  Also no, jut his genius is defined in a different way.  Intelligence is composed of a lot of different aspects - creativity, the capacity for abstract thought, memory, wisdom, analytical ability, curiosity, and the ability to communicate are only some of those.  For this reason I think it is hard to say anyone is smarter than anyone in a fictional universe.  I think the ranking in Marvel should more accurately be "Who has the most scientific capacity?" not "Who is the most intelligent?"  This doesnt work as well for DC because there are not as many scientifically based characters. 

"
Okay fair enough,i thought you were implying that Babs is smarter than Bruce.I just disagree with that.
#31 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio


@entropy_aegis

 

Batman is the best at what he does (detective, tactician, combat, escape artistry, impersonation) whereas Barbara is the bst at what she does (information).  They are both extremely intelligent.  When you get up to their levels of intelligence it is pretty much arbitrary anyway. 

#32 Posted by DEGRAAF (7939 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
"


@entropy_aegis

 

Batman is the best at what he does (detective, tactician, combat, escape artistry, impersonation) whereas Barbara is the bst at what she does (information).  They are both extremely intelligent.  When you get up to their levels of intelligence it is pretty much arbitrary anyway. 

"

k but would you say the same thing for the differences between Bruce, Lex, Ivo, Morrow, TerrificSavage, Magnus, Irons, Mid-night, and Palmer
#33 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio


@DEGRAAF

 

I think once you get to an elite level of intelligence the difference is arbitrary like I said.  If they were all sitting around and working on a piece of technology together (if that were possible) and if Irons said "Hey I have an idea let me see it" its not like Bruce would say "Ummm you are only a level 11 intellect, so no, I dont want you breaking it"

 

 

#34 Posted by DEGRAAF (7939 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz:
true. I guess the best way to put it would be what was recently put in FF #2 when Spidey is allow in to the room of geniuses to figure out the problem with Doom's brain loss. He was not only allow in even thoug hte majority of the room was probably smarter than him but he suprised him with his intellect as well
#35 Posted by not2baad (545 posts) - - Show Bio

The Smartest man on the planet

#36 Edited by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman_is_god said:

@IAMtheHERO: Like I said, Mr. Fantastic is the only one I could see being smarter.

But that's only in the area of scientific expertise. When it comes to psychology, deductive and social skills..I can never figure out how he managed to bag Sue Storm :D

Batman is unique when it comes to adapting to any situation. I think that is what Superman meant when he said that he's the most dangerous man in the world.

#37 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

HE IS BATMAN

your question has been answerd

#38 Posted by katanalauncher (934 posts) - - Show Bio

In scientific fields, he's a little below Phd's of that specific field, except for forensic science and psychology.

He's definitely top 10 human computer genius(below Barbara Gorgon).

He's just a great tinker, study and integrate other's tech into his own.

He is definitely the greatest detective in the world if not count original question.

#39 Posted by rico_3088 (486 posts) - - Show Bio

this

#40 Posted by Durakken (1591 posts) - - Show Bio

While it is debatable who is number 1 and who is number 2... those slots as far as humans are concerned is Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor.

Mr. Terrific is #3...as stated so much in his first issue.

Brainiac is considered one of if not the smartest being that isn't a Guardian or God in the universe.

The difference between Brainiac and Bruce and Lex is that Brainiac is from a technologically advanced society so it's hard to judge. But Bruce understands Brainiac tech and used it to create Brother Eye.

Superman is also considered up there as the last Kryptonian and the barer of all Kryptonian knowledge which is one of the greatest repositories out there.

The place where people get messed up is when they compare Marvel geniuses vs Bruce with Reed Richards and Tony Stark. Reed is more interested in theoretical science and Tony is into military application technology. These two field are big and loud and fancy. Batman specializes more so in practical application in a stealth environment. In other words, anything he uses is highly refined, miniaturized, and quiet as possible as well as light weight and easy to store...oh and largely mass produce-able by hand as he has to fabricate just about everything he makes to some extent, but also can't use large scale fabrication systems because that just wouldn't look right for that stuff to be put in the mansion no matter what cover story given.

If Tony wants a lazer cannon he just makes it.

If Bruce wants one he has to figure out how to make one that is light enough and small enough to fit somewhere on his suit without cause problems and make it out of pre-fabricated parts that are buyable en-mass which are probably not designed to do that.

#41 Edited by katanalauncher (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

While it is debatable who is number 1 and who is number 2... those slots as far as humans are concerned is Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor.

Mr. Terrific is #3...as stated so much in his first issue.

Brainiac is considered one of if not the smartest being that isn't a Guardian or God in the universe.

The difference between Brainiac and Bruce and Lex is that Brainiac is from a technologically advanced society so it's hard to judge. But Bruce understands Brainiac tech and used it to create Brother Eye.

Superman is also considered up there as the last Kryptonian and the barer of all Kryptonian knowledge which is one of the greatest repositories out there.

The place where people get messed up is when they compare Marvel geniuses vs Bruce with Reed Richards and Tony Stark. Reed is more interested in theoretical science and Tony is into military application technology. These two field are big and loud and fancy. Batman specializes more so in practical application in a stealth environment. In other words, anything he uses is highly refined, miniaturized, and quiet as possible as well as light weight and easy to store...oh and largely mass produce-able by hand as he has to fabricate just about everything he makes to some extent, but also can't use large scale fabrication systems because that just wouldn't look right for that stuff to be put in the mansion no matter what cover story given.

If Tony wants a lazer cannon he just makes it.

If Bruce wants one he has to figure out how to make one that is light enough and small enough to fit somewhere on his suit without cause problems and make it out of pre-fabricated parts that are buyable en-mass which are probably not designed to do that.

Practical as in convincing minors to dress in revealing bright red and yellow costume and kick armed criminals in the face?

#42 Posted by Durakken (1591 posts) - - Show Bio

@katanalauncher said:

@Durakken said:

While it is debatable who is number 1 and who is number 2... those slots as far as humans are concerned is Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor.

Mr. Terrific is #3...as stated so much in his first issue.

Brainiac is considered one of if not the smartest being that isn't a Guardian or God in the universe.

The difference between Brainiac and Bruce and Lex is that Brainiac is from a technologically advanced society so it's hard to judge. But Bruce understands Brainiac tech and used it to create Brother Eye.

Superman is also considered up there as the last Kryptonian and the barer of all Kryptonian knowledge which is one of the greatest repositories out there.

The place where people get messed up is when they compare Marvel geniuses vs Bruce with Reed Richards and Tony Stark. Reed is more interested in theoretical science and Tony is into military application technology. These two field are big and loud and fancy. Batman specializes more so in practical application in a stealth environment. In other words, anything he uses is highly refined, miniaturized, and quiet as possible as well as light weight and easy to store...oh and largely mass produce-able by hand as he has to fabricate just about everything he makes to some extent, but also can't use large scale fabrication systems because that just wouldn't look right for that stuff to be put in the mansion no matter what cover story given.

If Tony wants a lazer cannon he just makes it.

If Bruce wants one he has to figure out how to make one that is light enough and small enough to fit somewhere on his suit without cause problems and make it out of pre-fabricated parts that are buyable en-mass which are probably not designed to do that.

Practical as in convincing minors to dress in revealing bright red and yellow costume and kick armed criminals in the face?

Batman actually answers that when Tim asks him about it when Cassandra points it out.

#43 Posted by katanalauncher (934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

@katanalauncher said:

@Durakken said:

While it is debatable who is number 1 and who is number 2... those slots as far as humans are concerned is Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor.

Mr. Terrific is #3...as stated so much in his first issue.

Brainiac is considered one of if not the smartest being that isn't a Guardian or God in the universe.

The difference between Brainiac and Bruce and Lex is that Brainiac is from a technologically advanced society so it's hard to judge. But Bruce understands Brainiac tech and used it to create Brother Eye.

Superman is also considered up there as the last Kryptonian and the barer of all Kryptonian knowledge which is one of the greatest repositories out there.

The place where people get messed up is when they compare Marvel geniuses vs Bruce with Reed Richards and Tony Stark. Reed is more interested in theoretical science and Tony is into military application technology. These two field are big and loud and fancy. Batman specializes more so in practical application in a stealth environment. In other words, anything he uses is highly refined, miniaturized, and quiet as possible as well as light weight and easy to store...oh and largely mass produce-able by hand as he has to fabricate just about everything he makes to some extent, but also can't use large scale fabrication systems because that just wouldn't look right for that stuff to be put in the mansion no matter what cover story given.

If Tony wants a lazer cannon he just makes it.

If Bruce wants one he has to figure out how to make one that is light enough and small enough to fit somewhere on his suit without cause problems and make it out of pre-fabricated parts that are buyable en-mass which are probably not designed to do that.

Practical as in convincing minors to dress in revealing bright red and yellow costume and kick armed criminals in the face?

Batman actually answers that when Tim asks him about it when Cassandra points it out.

lol I know, just pointing out how bizarre the character really is.

He wants to rid Gotham of Crime, the best way he thinks is to dress up like a bat and throw stuff at criminals while spenting billions of dollars on Batjets and Batmobiles.

Some smart guy he is.

#44 Posted by lior949 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

he has never made any graduation, so how can he be so smart?

#45 Posted by shenron (901 posts) - - Show Bio

saying how smart he is by comparing him to every one else isn't right.

I your your going to put how smart he is than how about you do this-

#46 Edited by shenron (901 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Reed Richards-Greatest Quantum Physicists

2.Tony Stark- Greatest Engineer on earth

3.Henry Pym- greatest if these are put together entomology,cybernetics,biochemistry,and quantum physics,

4.Dr. Magnus-Worlds foremost in Robotic engineering

5.Micheal Holt- mostly awesome in Nano-Technology

6.Ray-Palmer-Nuclear Physicists

7.Ted Kord is smart...

8.Peter Parker-Brilliant, Parker excels in applied science, chemistry, and physics

9.Dr. Xavier- Genetics, Biophysics, Psychology, and Anthropology

10. Hank Mcoy-he is a world authority on biochemistry and genetics,

______________________________________________________________________Batman_________

He has studied Biology, Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Mythology, Geography, & History. Gained degrees in Criminal Science, Forensics, Computer Science, Chemistry and Engineering by the time he was 21. He has mastered Diverse Environmental Training, Security Systems, and illusion/sleight of hand by the time he was 23. He gained even more degrees in Biology, Physics, Advanced Chemistry, and Technology by the time he was 25. He has learned Forensic, Medical Sciences, Expanded Computer and Engineering Sciences, and Expanded Device Pool use of personal powered armor and system, database creation on underworld crime bosses, rogue's gallery foes and other supers; improved material sciences for body armor and micro-machinery by the time he was 26. Has also learned Advanced New Development in Forensic and Medical Sciences.

Expert Mechanic and Driver also

#47 Posted by OhItsThatGuy (791 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a Jack of All Trades, but a king of none. He knows, overall, more than other intelligent comic book characters know but doesn't surpass them in the stuff they specialize in.

#48 Posted by PowerHerc (85517 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not a scientific genius but aside from that he's just about as smart as a human can be.

#49 Posted by BigCimmerian (9128 posts) - - Show Bio

He's one of the most intelligent beings in comics, but not in the terms of scientific genious. He's good with science, but people like Luthor, Pym, Banner, Richards and Doom are above him. He's title of one of the most smartest comes from his detective work, tactical prowess and the fact that he's the best strategist on Earth.

#50 Edited by Alexander505 (2177 posts) - - Show Bio

Bats is one of the best minds in the DC Universe. Is a genius with computers, chemistry, investigation, strategy and tactics. It is probably one of the few superheroes to have studied a bit 'of everything, specializing in particular in the forensic sciences (chemistry, biology, medicine, psichology with specialization in criminology) and information technology.

Maybe Luthor can be the best scientist, but Batman has the best analytic-deductive mind of the world and a adaptive intelligence amazing. It's probably this last thing, that makes Batman so versatile and dangerous.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.