Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How should Nolan End Batman's Story?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I hope I am posting this in the right place,
    Nalan mentioned in an interview with Movie Talk, I think, that he planned to End Batman's story,
    MOVIE TALK

Christopher Nolan Talks About Superman's New Beginning and Batman's End

by Matt McDaniel · March 10, 2009

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...-superman.html

Quote:
    The other bombshell in the interview is that Nolan intends for his follow-up for the hugely successful "The Dark Knight" to be his last Batman film. He says that his brother Jonathan, who co-wrote the last movie, is currently at work on the screenplay. Nolan says that finding an ending to Batman's story is the main appeal for him to return to Gotham City.
    "I'm very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we've done with the characters," Nolan tells the Times. "Unlike the comics, these things don't go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful."
    Nolan talks about an ending to Batman's story, something the comics don't do because the characters can go on forever but in his story they do not. So I got to wondering, what do you think that means?
    Do you think Nolan's Batman will end, something along the lines of a realistic ending to a hero vigilante?
    Would Bruce stop being Batman? Perhaps because he saved the city of Gotham? Will Bruce die? Sacrificing himself to save Gotham? After all Ras did say, "Their deaths galvanized the city into saving itself" (talking about the death of Bruce's parents.) So maybe Bruce as Batman sacrifices himself in order to save Gotham or in order to force Gothem to save itself. Maybe even without a Batman, because he is dead or because he retires, the myth of Batman goes on.

And end to the Batman story would also give the audiences a chance to see the ending of other character's stories, like Alfred's and the Jokers.

If Nolan ends the Batman stories how do you think it will happen? What would you like to see?
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @ArtisticNeedham:
    I'd like to see Bruce siliently quiet being Batman that way crooks would still be afraid of the night.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Magian

Sacrificing him self so that the people of Gotham City stop being afraid and take matters into their own hands.
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

As much as I would hate to admit it, having Bruce sacrifice himself to save Gotham would sort of bookend the story.  His parents died in the start of the story, and forced the city to save itself a little.  His death would save the city much more, if he was recognized as a heroic figure while doing it.  Of coarse Batman's death would be made public, Alfred would be sure to cover up everything, so that the symbol that Bruce created would never die.
    On the other hand, maybe this movie will be the realistic ending to a man who tries to save a city single handedly, looses so much, and everything.  Maybe because of the events in the Joker movie Bruce becomes a darker, more withdrawn, more reckless and careless, vigilante.  Maybe Bruce spends more time as Batman, and less as Bruce, less time out of the bat cave, becomes more aggressive.
    And this becomes a film about Alfred and his friends and family trying to save him.  And the story ends with Bruce reaching the light at the end of his dark tunnel.  Still Batman, but much more equipped to live the life of Batman or something. 

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @ArtisticNeedham:
    Yeah that way they could leave the door open for more movies
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I was a little excited thinking that a superhero movie would finally come full circle with a beginning, middle, and end.  Finally having an ending to a comic character that hasn't had an end since he began in the 40s or 50s, and is going to be turning 700 or something soon.
    It would be interesting, at least, to see how his story would end in a movie.
    Not saying I want to see him die, or retire, or anything.  It just would be an interesting and new idea.

AizenN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AizenN

The series of batman should end, him saving the world by himself one last time.... and he will stand beside the grave of his dead parents....

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Parents grave, that would be a good final shot.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Croaker

I don't think even the movie Batman can give up the mission. I think he gets injured physically, psychologically or his identity is exposed.

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I agree, I don't think so either.  I also don't see Bruce just giving it up, in Dark Knight however he mentioned it.  But would he actually sit back and watch without trying to help?
    Whatever the ending is, I am sure Nolan will try to make it fall in with Begins and Dark Knight, to make it one large trilogy of a story, where the first and last movie bookend each other.
    I can see the movie taking him even further into the darkness, having to deal with in a realistic way the events of Dark Knight with the Joker and Rachel and Dent.  I could see him become reckless and chaotic, more angry and aggressive.  Running with a bad crowd sort of thing.  And his friends and family, Alfred, Fox, and maybe Catwoman, have to bring him back.
    And have it end with Bruce, still Batman but now he has more of a handle on this new life he has chosen for himself.  And maybe he has a love interest, Catwoman.   Its realistic to think that, Bruce started this "Batman" plan without really understanding what he was getting into.  Now he sort of does but he is still too shaken up over all he has been through since he became Batman.  At the end of the movie he could finally be stable in his life as Bruce and his life as Batman.
    I could see that being the ending,
    but with the news that Nolan wants to put the End stamp on this film its too tempting to not let my imagination run all over the place and think up endings where Bruce sacrafices his life to save Gothem from a super criminal, Alfred covers it all up so that no one knows that Batman is dead so that the legend of Batman lives on.  Because you can kill a man, but you can't kill a symbol.
    I can see it connecting to the other two movies, You either die as a hero or you live long enough to become the villain, and Bruce's parent's murder forced the city to save itself and it has been limping along ever since.  Bruce was classified as dead in the beginning of the films too.  Its an idea, but would fans be in an uproar?  Even if the film is super good, Oscar worthy stuff?
    What if the movie takes place a few years after Dark Knight, Bruce has been Batman for a while and has fought many criminals, and this could be the final chapter where Bruce retires. I just don't think its been enough time, he only just started as Batman.
    What if Bruce passes the mantel onto a young replacement named Dick Grayson?  Like he talked about in Dark Knight, he was ready to step down as long as the city had a hero.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

if batman does die i think itd be cool if at the end other vigilantes show up in cameos like nightwing and huntress batman having inspired them 

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I think this is a little to soon (maybe one more film)  to end the story but Nolan being who he is and having the team behind him that there is I'm ok with that. I would like to see Bruce achieve his goal as opposed to the darker idea of his demise I think that would be an interesting way to end this series of films.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Edamame said:
    " It should end with Catwoman and Batman kissing.  "
    Cheeseball.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123

I want it to end with Batman in his living room, remarking "Wow, I wonder what this had been like if I had randomly brought a teenager along with me, so he could make incredibly lame exclamations?"

RiddlingGambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RiddlingGambit

Batman dying would be terrible. People would spoil the ending.

I think it should end with Batman coming to accept death & crime, and perhaps realizing he needs a real life beyond being a phony millionaire & an avenger of the night. He needs to listen to Alfred who also raised him, as that is what Bruce's father would have wanted. He should only ever be Batman if Ra's for example were to come back and plot to destroy the city. There are situations where Batman seems to be needed but he doesn't need to be out patrolling every night. That's just as much as an unhealthy obsession as was Joker's obsession with Batman for instance.

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    @RiddlingGambit said:

" He should only ever be Batman if Ra's for example were to come back and plot to destroy the city. There are situations where Batman seems to be needed but he doesn't need to be out patrolling every night. "

But a super criminal like Ras wasn't exactly responsible for his parents death's.  It was some random criminal.  Which is why Bruce would never stop, he goes after every criminal from the smallest muggers to the biggest crime bosses.  Because if a Batman had been there when he was younger his parents would be alive.
    How about at the end, as Batman is dying in the arms of Catwoman after saving the entire city young Bruce Wayne wakes up as his parents are calling him down stairs to go to the theater to see some bat play.  Only kidding.

I am not saying I want Bruce to die, but if he does it wont seem like Nolan picked it out of nowhere.  There can be hints found about heroes and death and such throughout the other movies.  If he did die, it would bookend the movies that started with his parents death's, and it would go along with a larger story of heroes sacrificing themselves for the city.
    I don't know exactly what i want, or how it should end, I just thought it was an interesting idea.  I don't think anyone has done this with a character like Batman in the movies.  Actually ending the story.
    But I heard some place that if Nolan did kill off Bruce, or had him retire or end it in any way like that, then the next director would have to reboot the entire franchise again and retell the origin in his own way.  Might happen anyway though.

Oh, what if Bruce faked his death to retire, since Bruce's real life is tarnashed (everyone thinks he is a spoiled playboy who drinks too much and burns down his own house) and he can't be Batman always can he?
    Maybe he fakes his death (as Bruce), the rumors and fables of Batman still exist, but Bruce exits quietly to live a life in peace as someone else with former Catwoman Selena Kyle and his good friend Alfred. 
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By Dracade102
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LT1085

Catwoman by autoerotic asphyxiation in the Batcave.  

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Icemizer

Bruce in the back of the Limo with Alfred driving him. Some banter between them about how he needs to relax and take a night off after the trials of the latest adventure. Cut to exterior shot of limo heading into the parking lot of a huge circus. Giant billboard outside promoting the flying graysons. Fade to black...
    Avatar image for little_miss_kitty
    Little_Miss_Kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mutant X
    @Icemizer said:
    " Bruce in the back of the Limo with Alfred driving him. Some banter between them about how he needs to relax and take a night off after the trials of the latest adventure. Cut to exterior shot of limo heading into the parking lot of a huge circus. Giant billboard outside promoting the flying graysons. Fade to black... "
    I like this. But if it's the last installment that wouldn't be an ideal ending to go out with. Maybe if there was another planned sequel.
    The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By The WeatherMan

With a plate full of "HOLYBATSHARKREPELLENTBATMAN!!!" worthy stunts and fights, coupled with some "NOFRIGGINWAY!!!" twists and turns and spiced up with some "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!" villany. And loaded with some awesomesauce. Lots and lots of awesomesauce.
    Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mutant X
    @The WeatherMan said:
    " With a plate full of "HOLYBATSHARKREPELLENTBATMAN!!!" worthy stunts and fights, coupled with some "NOFRIGGINWAY!!!" twists and turns and spiced up with some "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!" villany. And loaded with some awesomesauce. Lots and lots of awesomesauce. "
    Agreed.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ssejllenrad

It should end with Darkseid invading earth and Batman ending the invasion with a well-timed precisely-aimed batkick!!!! Hehehehe! J/K... 

@ArtisticNeedham said:

" As much as I would hate to admit it, having Bruce sacrifice himself to save Gotham would sort of bookend the story.  His parents died in the start of the story, and forced the city to save itself a little.  His death would save the city much more, if he was recognized as a heroic figure while doing it.  Of coarse Batman's death would be made public, Alfred would be sure to cover up everything, so that the symbol that Bruce created would never die. On the other hand, maybe this movie will be the realistic ending to a man who tries to save a city single handedly, looses so much, and everything.  Maybe because of the events in the Joker movie Bruce becomes a darker, more withdrawn, more reckless and careless, vigilante.  Maybe Bruce spends more time as Batman, and less as Bruce, less time out of the bat cave, becomes more aggressive.And this becomes a film about Alfred and his friends and family trying to save him.  And the story ends with Bruce reaching the light at the end of his dark tunnel.  Still Batman, but much more equipped to live the life of Batman or something.  "

ArtisticNeedham's idea is awesome. I'd like to see that in the movie... :D
    mistrx75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By mistrx75

Probably the way Begins did, with Bats flying off into the night.  Again.

The Dave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Dave

Well if you look at the end of the 'The Dark Knight' I don't think they could do the whole Batman sacrificing himself to save the city since he took the rap for Harvey Dent's crimes as two-face.

I can't even imagine ending the whole Batman story, I would hope he just ends this particular trilogy, leaving it open for more movies but not sealing the deal on Batman totally.

Avatar image for ajthenewusrname
    AJthenewusrname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AJthenewusrname

Maybe Bruce reaches the point where Gotham no longer needs Batman, so he can return to his normal life. It would be a nice finish to the nolan franchise. It would also be nice if he can make an ending in a way thah a sequel wouldnt be posible. Nolan surely has created a unique Batman univers, that is very realistic. In this univers it would not be posible to continue with Batgirl, Robin and all thouse mutant villains I would like to see someday. Therfore it is crucial to end this franchise and start from the begining.  

I do not want Bruce to die, maybe just Batman dies in eyes of people of Gotham. My take on ending this would be by introducing a strong female character like Talia. She could perfectly conect the first and the last movie. As Ra's doughter she could seek vengeance for his death, but also continuing his legacy by leagal means (maybe she is the good guy, maybe she does not know her fathers real intentions). At the end Bruce and Talia could stand beside their parents graves together, knowing they did what their parents faild to do...    
    Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Tainted-Cell

They should end it with the Joker, Harley, Scarecrow, Hugo Strange, Riddler, Zsaaz, and Bane exacting their revenge on a captured and helpless Bruce Wayne - with Superman coming to his rescue.
    But since that won't happen..... 

I'm not pleased with the way the Dark Knight went. Two-Face is one of my favorite Batman villains, and killing him off the way they did, let alone the way he was "created", is a big no no. If they had only kept the Long Halloween origin, it would have been spectacular. 

So here are the factors. Batman is now a wanted criminal with Gotham's police force actively hunting him this time. Bruce has now effectively alienated himself from all of his friends, sans Alfred. The mob is probably terrified of Batman now more than ever now that he's been said to have killed policemen and criminals alike (although we don't know if Maroni is alive to set the story straight, considering Harvey made it out just fine). 

For the citizens of Gotham, their focus is to try and stop Batman, with help from third parties. Since Nolan has effectively ruled out Superman or any other person outside of Gotham City getting involved in "Batman's Universe", these third parties will likely be private investigators, detectives with a lot of credit to their names, and/or -- the less physical villains from Batman's rogue gallery. Riddler and Hugo Strange come to mind.  If they are involved, they will use their resources to try (and succeed) and determine the identity of Batman. Considering how he really hasn't taken that many precautions, and an accountant working with Wayne Enterprises has already discovered his true identity without much effort, well, for these guys, it'll be a piece of cake. I imagine that there will be a negotiation between Riddler/and/or/Strange and Batman, with similar hopes of extortion. Perhaps one will consider selling the identity to the highest bidder - and as Goyer/Nolan have been inspired by Jeph Loeb in the past, they might decide to make this into Thomas Elliot, someone who wants Bruce all to himself. 

But then we have another problem, as this idea seems too much like The Dark Knight already, with Bruce trying to figure out if he should even bother trying to cover his tracks. As I mentioned earlier, Bruce doesn't have any friends at this point. What does he have to lose, apart from his crusade? His secret identity might not mean that much to him at this point, but on the flip-side of the coin, his secret identity might be the only thing going for him now that everyone hates Batman. It's really just a toss-up.

Nolan made a mess in the end of The Dark Knight. I'm not going to get my hopes up with expectations, it's his job to clean up, not mine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.