Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How realistic is Batman?

• 68 results
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Besides being in tip-top shape and having a detective's intuition that rivals Sherlock Holmes, billionaire Bruce Wayne has an arsenal of high-tech toys and vehicles that would make even James Bond's Q drool. It's part of the Caped Crusader's major appeal. He's not faster than a speeding bullet or able to leap tall buildings in a single bound... he's just a man. A man with sweet, sweet gadgetry.

So just how realistic is Batman? Could you fill the Dark Knight's cowl if you had his arsenal of wonderful toys? I took a look at all of batman's incarnations... from the comics to the movies to the super-camp '60s farce... and gave 10 of Mr. Wayne's most popular tech toys a reality check.

1. The Batarang
    The Batarang
    The Batarang

What is it? Batman's metal bat-shaped boomerang has served him in many forms: with a line attached to it for scaling walls, as an explosive, or as a boomerang with an electric charge, just to name a few. They've since evolved into the razor-edged quasi-shuriken featured in today's movies, comics and cartoons.

Is it feasible? As either a boomerang or a shuriken, Batman's staple ranged weapons are sound. With a metal boomerang, however, Batman would have to be an expert thrower and, more importantly, catcher, especially if his batarang had any sharp edges. His fancier batarangs such as the exploding variety haven't really been explored here in the real world, though maybe the idea of taping a grenade to a throwing knife just hasn't seemed like a good one.

Similar real-world technology:

• Well, er, boomerangs
    • Shuriken, too

2. The Grapple Gun
    Grapple Gun
    Grapple Gun

What is it? The grapple gun Batman uses actually debuted on the silver screen in 1989's Batman, where it appeared as a spear-tipped, spring-loaded projectile. Since then, the grapple gun has been in pretty much all of the shows and comics in one form or another. In Batman & Robin it could be loaded onto Batman's belt, and in it's newest incarnation it's fired by compressed air, is magnetic, and can launch a hook as well as the classic dart.

Is it feasible? Tossing up a hook trailing a line is simple enough, and we do have the technology to make grappling-hook launchers, though they're considerably larger than Batman's handheld unit. They have to be, to fit a good length of cable. Batman uses line that's so thin the whole spool fits in such a compact device. Really, it's all about the way Bats handles the line... swinging from buildings just like Spider-Man... that makes things a little less feasible.

An MIT student's belt-affixed automatic ascender
    • T-PLS grappling hook launcher (Thankfully Batman's is smaller.)
    • The Wizard escape system uses a line, though doesn't grapple

3. The Goo Gun
    Goo Gun
    Goo Gun

What is it? As seen in Batman Forever in 1995, Batman's sparkly blue goo-firing gun represents one of the Caped Crusader's more modern nonlethal options. It fires a sticky, adhesive substance that gunks up evil doers and disables them.

Is it feasible? The goo gun is a lot like the sticky foam launchers that were developed for law enforcement. It'd be dangerous to try to foam down an adversary with a gun, but in large crowd-control situations that go south, sticky foam is a far more gentle takedown method than bean bags or fire hoses, and effective to boot.

Stick foam: like Silly String, but for adults
    • Sticky traps for pest control are actually rather similar

4. The Bat-Shark Repellent

What is it? A spray that makes sharks go away. Proof positive that no technology, no matter how ridiculous, is useful in Batman's line of work.

Is it feasible? Serious interest in a shark repellent goes back all the way to World War II, when scientists tried to cook something up to protect downed aviators and naval crew. It was found that the scent of a dead shark spooks living ones, and for a while using copper-acetate solution was a popular idea. In practice, however, sharks weren't all that bothered, and current endeavors to repel the beasts include electric shocks and new chemicals. A shark repellent aerosol, though? Maybe if you're battling a land shark.

• The Wasp Knife, a blade with a CO2 cartridge inside
    • The Shark Shield, an electric signal generator for surf boards
    • A ring of magnetic barriers
    • A pressurized air tank and an M1 Garand rifle.

5. Heel Propellers
    caption
    caption

What are they? Comic fans can thank Batman: Hush for giving Bats a great new look, but not for impressive gadgetry. It included one of Batman's lesser known tricks up his sleeve heel: built-in boot propellers. That's just lazy.

Are they feasible? I ask you this: does it matter? Sure, maybe there's some sense behind it, but Batman is a world-class diver and swimmer. I can imagine a scenario where he's traveling a long distance underwater and he needs to conserve his strength, but at the same time that's what he's all about... strength. Let the man swim farther than the rest of us can imagine. Hell, take the Bat-Sub if you really must, Batman.

• DARPA's PowerSwim, an aquatic swimming-enhancement suit
    • A pair of $10 flippers
    • Your legs

6. Memory Fiber Cape

Memory Cape
    Memory Cape

What is it? First seen in Batman Begins, when Batman charges his cape with an electric current, the material becomes rigid and takes on a shape mimicking bat wings. He can then use his cape like a glider and, next to his grappling hook, it's the closest he comes to actually flying.

Is it feasible? There are studies that involve getting substances and fibers to react to electricity, and the idea of a shape-shifting anything excites pretty much everyone. In relation to Batman, the tricky part is making a cape which can remember its shape, let alone let you glide like Bat-boy here. The movie crew on Batman Begins did actually run a charge through Christian Bale's cape, which was made from parachute-grade nylon. They employed a technique used for military and police gear called electrostatic flocking, which, far from letting Batman glide, gives his cape that seamless, billowing look.

Electrostatic flocking runs a charge under the fabric, giving it that signature look
    • Electrorheological fluids act much in the same way
    • Concepts that involve technologies that allow devices to morph

7. Jet Boots

caption
    caption

What are they? Rather than swing using the grapple gun or batarang, the leading man of the sadly-short-lived-cartoon Batman Beyond, Terry McGinnis, had a pair of jet boots that allowed him to soar instead. We'll roll with it since the show took place in the future, and because it was so good besides. Terry's suit, pictured above, features a long list of high-tech improvements, but jet boots are probably the most game-changing compared Batman's modern equipment.

Are they feasible? There have been some semi-successful attempts at creating jetpacks, though their range is usually very limited. And if there ever is an age where jet boots truly become commonplace, they'd better build a memorial for all of the dead test pilots.

For every crazy idea, there's a crazier guy ready to try it
    • A set of diesel-powered rocket boots
    • This bulky Rocket Belt

8. The Batmobile

Batmobile
    Batmobile

What is it? Batman's sweet ride. The Batmobile has evolved a ton from the 1966 Lincoln Futura-inspired roadster Batman and Robin zipped around in, becoming more sleek and sinister for Tim Burton's Batman movies, and imposing for Batman Begins. It's been equipped with everything from machine guns to autopilot, a jet engine, a rear-firing tack launcher, an oil slick nozzle and, in Batman Forever, it could even tip up its nose and climb sheer surfaces.

Is it feasible? Sure, on paper. Strapping a jet engine to a car isn't too bright unless you know what you're doing, but I imagine very few people do. Scaling vertical surfaces with a car like the Dark Knight did in Batman Forever is also a ways off. We're probably closer to the Tumbler in Batman Begins with modular, high-speed tank units such as the U.S. military's Stryker, than having a full-on, stunt-performing, gadget-laden roadster like older Batmobiles. Not all is lost, however. You could still simulate some of the Batmobile's features, such as the tack launcher and oil slick dispenser, simply by opening up your window and tossing or pouring whatever is appropriate into your wake.

• The jet car, top speed 800 mph, made and driven by professionals
    Another jet car, made and driven by an idiot
    Several replicas (obviously without the crazy bells and whistles) exist for many of the incarnations
    • A computer made to look like the Tumbler — only travels the Internet highway
    • Cars in development that drive themselves

9. Sonic Bat-Call

caption
    caption

What is it? For anyone else, it'd be a nightmare. For Batman, it's like a smokescreen. He's got an emitter, usually located in the heel of his boot, that'll call forth of swarm of bats to surround him and cause a general ruckus.

Is it feasible? Believe it or not, there are some folks out there who want bats around, primarily for mosquito control. Usually the methods employed to attract them aren't all that fancy... just set up your house in such away as to entice bats. This might involve anything from building bat shelters to installing ponds and planting your greenery just so. In science, sonic devices are often used to study bats, not so much to attract them.

• Scientists are trying to train fish along the same lines
    Meticulous home landscaping

10. The Batpod

Batpod
    Batpod

What is it? At first glance, you may think the Batpod is simply a motorcycle. It is, but with a few of the kind of quirks we like. It has motors located inside the tire cavities as well as steering controlled by Batman's body rather than a set of handles. It's armed to the teeth with machines guns, cannons, grenade launchers and grappling hooks, though I'm sure ol' Bats still wouldn't hurt a fly with any of it.

Is it feasible? All the separate components already exist, though they haven't been slapped together yet (that'd be pretty severely illegal). The Batpod's most interesting feature, its in-wheel engine, is being experimented along the lines of both stuffing an engine into a wheel, or adding engine-aiding components to the wheel construction to improve overall performance of a vehicle.

Motorcycles with wheel engines
    • A variety of unicycle concepts have the driver's weight and positioning guiding the unit

So... 10 out of 10 Batobjects are not only quite feasable with modern day technology, but are actually either in progress at the moment or we are already there...

so, now the question becomes, where is our earths Batman?

M
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Korg

No Billionaire is buff enough, let alone has the ideals Batman adheres to. It's nice to think of it as feasible, but a good night's crime fighting would end up costing a few hundred grand at the very least. Our Earth's Batmen are regular law-enforcement agents with strong morals. Any vigilante like Batman would be apprehended or shot in the real world inside of a week. Real-world vigilantism is looked down upon, even by most Batman fans. Plus, even the finest human athletes wouldn't risk their skins to try to apprehend a guy with a sub-machine gun.

Avatar image for desiderina_redhead
    Desiderina Redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Methos, sorry to clog your thread but check your pms please...

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Virago

First of all; Methos has too much time on his hands, and should be applauded for this epic post.

Second-of-ly "A man with sweet, sweet gadgetry" is the best description of Bats I've ever heard.

I was actually just talking about this with a friend earlier tonight, and we concur that it is possible in theory to assume a Bruce Wayne lifestyle. You'd need some serious dedication, which, as Korg has pointed out, is not exactly the MO of billionaires (I don't think Bill Gates would make a good Batman). It's a secret ambition of mine to become a superhero, but most of my conquests would include exploding Wal-Mart and other large, evil corporations.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Korg

Picturing Bill Gates cavorting around in a Batman outfit trying to intimidate thugs amuses me greatly. The closest I think we could get to Batman in the real world is Watchmen-type heroes. Which is part of what makes Watchmen so unbelievably awesome.

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Constantine
    Applauds Methos "well done ol' chap"

I've always thought that becoming batman, on some senses, was possible.

talking about in real life, and about people saying you'd be shot within the first week(thats why in the movie he has a Kevlar suit), I say It would be easier to become a villain like Joker or Luthor without money(all though to be like Lex you need money).
    Desiderina Redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Constantine said:
    "Applauds Methos "well done ol' chap"

I've always thought that becoming batman, on some senses, was possible.

talking about in real life, and about people saying you'd be shot within the first week(thats why in the movie he has a Kevlar suit), I say It would be easier to become a villain like Joker or Luthor without money(all though to be like Lex you need money).
    "
    Joker would be hard to become though.. unless your totally psychotic and have the balls to pull it off!
    Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Constantine

yeah but the idea is possible

all you really need is a man who doesn't care if he dies

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Virago

I like the explanation of Joker's psychology by Alfred in TDK: some people just do evil things because they want to; no rhyme or reason, simply the pleasure of creating havoc. With the right series of events, there could be some serious jokers in the world.

Desiderina Redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but the joker had an agenda he even stated it in the movie

" this town needs a better class of villian"

In many of the comics there has been a reason to what he is doing.. its rather random but its there.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Korg

Note: Kevlar suit does not protect the face. Also unlikely to stop a 7.62 or similar rifle round, considering how thin it is.

Also, I believe the quote is "This town deserves a better class of criminal." There is a significant difference. You don't hear many people in the real world defined as villains.
    Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Constantine

looked this up on Wiki

Kevlar is well-known as a component of somebulletproof vests and bulletproof facemasks. The PASGT helmet and vest used by US military forces since the early 1980s both have Kevlar as a key component, as do their replacements. Other military uses include bulletproof facemasks used by sentries. Civilian applications include Kevlar reinforced clothing for motorcycle riders to protect against abrasion injuries and also Emergency Service's protection gear if it involves high heat (e.g., tackling a fire), and Kevlar body armor such as vests for Police officers, security, and S.W.A.T.

Desiderina Redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Korg said:
    "Note: Kevlar suit does not protect the face. Also unlikely to stop a 7.62 or similar rifle round, considering how thin it is.

Also, I believe the quote is "This town deserves a better class of criminal." There is a significant difference. You don't hear many people in the real world defined as villains.
    "
    Rolls her eyes
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Korg
    Desiderina Redhead said:
    "Rolls her eyes"
    Such dry wit.

@Constantine: "Bulletproof" is a very relative term, as anyone in the army will tell you. Also note that it says "well known component". Most bulletproof vests these days also utilize ceramic discs, which would be extremely clumsy in a bat-suit. Ever seen how thick a Kevlar vest is? The Kevlar in Batman's suit in the movies is a very expensive polymer, which I'm not even sure exists, but if it does, that's 300K for the suit alone, and I'm sure it utilizes other components besides Kevlar. I'd also question whether it could stop a rifle round, as I mentioned earlier. It is at least partially penetrated by Rachel Dawes' stun gun in Batman Begins.
    Desiderina Redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Korg, does it really matter all that much? my point was made

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Korg

I'm not sure what you mean. I find the topic interesting, so I gave some thoughts on the subject.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I think the idea for Batman is to take the gun out of the equation before it's fired, or at least not being in front of it if it is. He never acts like a tank, laughing of the bullets, that's Superman's job. I'm watching Dark Knight later, so I don't know what happens in it yet.

When the last film came out, I bought a handbook on how to become Batman in real life. It had everything from what martial arts to learn to how to set up your own Batcave. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Handbook-Chuck-Dixon/dp/1594740232/ref=sr_1_67?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216892604&sr=1-67

Desiderina Redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I meant that was it really worth correcting me on the line? I too found the topic interesting and you had to shoot me down cause of that

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Korg

Wasn't trying to shoot you down, I was making the point that there is a difference between a criminal and a villain. I meant no offense.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Methos

happy to see people liked this...

i was actually surprised when i came accross most of the equipment, some of it is actually scary lol

M

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I could be Batman :P

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Hawk

Awesome!!! Wish I was super rich.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zee crusher

A 30 year old man who runs around in a black suit with fake abbs and about 20 pounds worth of gear and a cape every night. While in his real life he is a rich man with only a butler and a batcave he got built but for some odd reason nobody knows about the construction plans on the place. Also a car, a boat, and a plan that all need gas but nobody seems to catch him while he should get it.

He sounds real enough to me.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Resonate
    Constantine said:
    "yeah but the idea is possible

all you really need is a man who doesn't care if he dies
    "
    hand raises
    likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25  Edited By likalaruku

Hey, my rain gutters are absolutely infested with Bat-Sharks. Think Batman will lend me some spray? :D

Sonic Bat-Call....last time I checked, he had an irrational fear of cute little bats. Shouldn't using the Bat-Call put him in a state of fuzzy-wuzzy shock?

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    TheDrifter said:
    "I could be Batman :P"
    Suuuuuuuuuure.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By John Valentine
    ~The Wanderer~ said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "I could be Batman :P"
    Suuuuuuuuuure."

Yes, go and jump off a building :P.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Mr. Wilson

I think he is more realistic than most but I think Punisher is even more realistic.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AtPhantom

Wow... real nice Methos.

Personally, Batman's cape was the only thing that seemed unrealistic to me in Begins, and I'm glad that it is actually based on science,

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#30  Edited By No_Name_
    Desiderina Redhead said:
    "Yeah but the joker had an agenda he even stated it in the movie

" this town needs a better class of villian"

In many of the comics there has been a reason to what he is doing.. its rather random but its there.
    "
    Where? Like can you give an example? The Joker is one character that provides no means to an end; he doesn't explain why he does what he does, rather, we the readers (at least in most of the comics, and, correct me if I'm wrong) are suppose to be simply satisfied with the theory that he's mad and that that should be reason enough to justify his actions. (Which personally to me, never was, which is why it's so easy to write the Joker like a complete joke...it's easy to not take him seriously.) 
    likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By likalaruku

Is remaining a millionare off your parents inheritance with no job & continually giving money away yet never going broke realistic?

::Is totaly guessing & has no idea where Brucey got his billions::

KirklandLeta25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KirklandLeta25

Don't you recognize that it's correct time to get the business loans, which would realize your dreams.

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mr. Smiths

Be hard to pull Batman off in real life, especially as a rich man. Joker is so easy cause all you have to do is have the balls, and be a smart man.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Mr. Smiths said:
    "Be hard to pull Batman off in real life, especially as a rich man. Joker is so easy cause all you have to do is have the balls, and be a smart man. "

If that's all you think there is to the Joker, you need to read more of his stories, and I don't see anyone being Batman with his "toys", not even if Bill Gates, Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein were one person at peak human condition with mastery of over 200 martial arts.
    Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mr. Smiths
    @Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:
    "Be hard to pull Batman off in real life, especially as a rich man. Joker is so easy cause all you have to do is have the balls, and be a smart man. "
    If that's all you think there is to the Joker, you need to read more of his stories, and I don't see anyone being Batman with his "toys", not even if Bill Gates, Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein were one person at peak human condition with mastery of over 200 martial arts. "

Sherlock Holmes was in ways Batman without the costume. And pretty sure if they did know all martial arts moves and had the ability and toys they would be Batman if they wanted too.

Plus if your a highly intelligent man and have the balls and that do not care about life mentality you can possibly be Joker, also if your crazy too.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Mr. Smiths said:
    "@Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:
    If that's all you think there is to the Joker, you need to read more of his stories, and I don't see anyone being Batman with his "toys", not even if Bill Gates, Sherlock Holmes and Albert Einstein were one person at peak human condition with mastery of over 200 martial arts. "

Sherlock Holmes was in ways Batman without the costume. And pretty sure if they did know all martial arts moves and had the ability and toys they would be Batman if they wanted too.

Plus if your a highly intelligent man and have the balls and that do not care about life mentality you can possibly be Joker, also if your crazy too.

"

Good that you added crazy too, I reread my statement and it seems i was criticizing your Joker knowledge. I apologize for that but stand by statement that no one can be Batman if they wanted to. His view on justice is more extreme than Sherlock Holmes.
    Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mr. Smiths
    @Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:
    "@Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:

"
    Good that you added crazy too, I reread my statement and it seems i was criticizing your Joker knowledge. I apologize for that but stand by statement that no one can be Batman if they wanted to. His view on justice is more extreme than Sherlock Holmes. "

How? Batman hado ne rule. Not to kill, thats not extreme. Didn't Holmes kill criminals? Or had no rules?
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Mr. Smiths said:
    "@Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:
    "@Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:

"
    Good that you added crazy too, I reread my statement and it seems i was criticizing your Joker knowledge. I apologize for that but stand by statement that no one can be Batman if they wanted to. His view on justice is more extreme than Sherlock Holmes. "
    How? Batman hado ne rule. Not to kill, thats not extreme. Didn't Holmes kill criminals? Or had no rules? "

He would severely injure criminals, threaten their lives etc. Btw i said his view not his rules. Based on the Sherlock Holmes I've read, he only killed criminals if his life was in danger. His mind isn't as nice as Batman's, along with a lot of other people/characters, which is another reason I say no one can be Batman if they wanted to.
    Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mr. Smiths
    @Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:
    "@Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:
    "@Sexy Merc said:
    "@Mr. Smiths said:

"
    How? Batman hado ne rule. Not to kill, thats not extreme. Didn't Holmes kill criminals? Or had no rules? "
    He would severely injure criminals, threaten their lives etc. Btw i said his view not his rules. Based on the Sherlock Holmes I've read, he only killed criminals if his life was in danger. His mind isn't as nice as Batman's, along with a lot of other people/characters, which is another reason I say no one can be Batman if they wanted to. "

Well Batman was anti social and always depressed, but did you mean Holmes mind was not as nice as Batman? I think Holmes smarter then Batman anyways, and Professor Moraity was a better villian then Joker.
    easye777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By easye777
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Primmaster64

He's Batman,he wears stuff on his belt

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By MrMiracle77

I find the most unrealistic thing about Batman isn't the gadgets.  Its the legal side of vigilantism.  There are institutions here in the United States that would be lining up to represent criminals like the Joker or Riddle (ambulance chasers, mostly).  Not only that, consider how clogged the courts would be with class-action lawsuits from every single person filing for pain and suffering, mental anguish, or any number of other nuisance infractions. 

And since Batman isn't exactly going to show up in court to defend himself, the judge would always find in favor of the plaintiff.  Once his secret identity is uncovered, all of Bruce Wayne's assets would be frozen to pay off his legal obligations.  Everyone at Wayne's businesses would lose their jobs, become unemployed, and very likely turn to crime themselves as a result.  Victims would also sell the rights to their stories to publishers and movie studios, the stories of which would no doubt be required to cast the criminals in a favorable light. 

Thanks a lot, Batman.

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CylonDorado

Nobody is that good with weapons, hand to hand, and so many different vehicles. He'd have to spend so much time training, he'd have no time to fight crime. That's what a guy who (if memory serves) was either an FBI or CIA instructor said while doing an interview for a show talking about how realistic/unrealistic James Bond is.
    SDSMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SDSMP

that has always been whats so special about batman there is no way he could be real and yet he is the only hero possible of being real

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CylonDorado
    @Edamame:
    Nah, some comics arn't about super heroes at all.
    Tim Drake3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tim Drake3

as realistic as you can get and still be interesting ^^

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is certainly a concept that can be applied to a real world type story, especially with the advancements in military and police sciences.  And if those dont work, then it can be easily manipulated to suit what actually takes place in urban environments. The idea of a vigilante in say, New York or Chicago is not unbelievable. There have been Vigilantes in New York, such as Bernie Goetz or the guardian angels, but Goetz surrendered himself a few days after shooting a gang of muggers, so its obvious he wasnt very disciplined. The guardian angels are more based on citizens arrest, and never really went beyond that.  That said, there are several vigilante factions all over the world that have lasted Decades and are big time players. For example: the Bakassi boys in Africa, or the Sombra Negra in El Salvador.  I know those places are noted hotspots in the world, but think about it: there was call for vigilantism there, and consider the reaction to Goetz in New York in  1984: he was praised as a hero, some calling him the avenger of New York. American Media is full of crime stories every day, so i believe Americans would still welcome a vigilante in their city. Everyone loves a hero.  Public opinion would likely be on the vigilantes side, (especially if you get results like Batman does) Police wouldnt make a move against him straight away  for fear of public outcry( we all know how beurocratic policeforces can be, honest cops would likely support a vigilante as well) so the only real threat a vigilante would face is from criminals and himself. 

There are dozens of forums all over the internet stating how realistic Batman can be. The most in depth one i have seen is a at scientific american. just google it. 
    1  In order to achieve the level of physical perfection that Batman is at, constant, rigorous traning in many forms of martial arts, body/mind discipline and self defense would take around 13-15 years.    

2 His career would certainly not be able to last 30 years (as suggested in TDKR) even if he is taking on untrained thugs most of the time. Compare that to a champion boxing career for a second. Joe Louis competed at his prime for around 11 years, but he wasnt getting shot or stabbed, so id say bat's real world career would really last around 3/ 4 years, 5 pushing it (assuming he isnt killed). That said, George Foreman's prime hit when he was in his forties rather his mid twenties so TDKR is actually kind of believable. After that, if the work isnt done, a new Batman would have to step up.  

3 There is no way you could jump into the middle of 10 armed thugs and expect to last long. No one can kick or punch that fast and be that devastating. Remember what i said about Sombra Negra/Bakkassi Boys? They use lethal force, Batman doesnt.  He would need to take on crims two, or three MAX to attack, incapacitate,  and escape without sustaining injury or having to kill anyone.   

4  the equipment is belivable considering Bruce is a millionaire. Grapples, Batarangs, stun devices are all available in some shape or form. Id say customising a combat suit to fit your needs isnt too hard if you have the recourses and the knowledge. But somethings like a huge Batmobile wouldnt work. Remember the difficulty he had escaping cops in Batman begins? Thats wht it'd be every night. Hes gonna slip up sooner or later. Sucesfully hiding that beast would be impossible. Holograms dont exist as far as i know. Batman would be better off using a batpod for speed and escape, and an unsuspicious  sedan with blackened windows if he ever needs to transport someone to a location.  Keeping spending low IE , gathering and assembling your own equipment, buying neccesary equipment  in bulk, using the Wayne fortunes responsibly and cleverly,  not customising everything with a bat theme, not making stupid things like BatHelicopters, batplanes or batboats would also be wise. Keeping all your stuff under your own house isnt good. A warrant will have you screwed. Might i suggest an underground safehouse outside of the city?

5 Sidekicks/acomplices. a FEW trusted allies, not a vigilante army. Alfred knows combat medicine, and is adept at strategising. useful. Jim Gordon can assist and protect Batman, furthering his operation. Very useful. Yellow trunks and a wisecracking 12 year old. Leave at orphanage.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.