Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23634 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How much do I need to know before reading Killing Joke?

frangipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frangipan

I've only just started reading batman and all I have read is year one. I'm itching to read The Killing Joke as it looks amzing and I have a very high opinion of Alan Moore after reading Watchmen. On the starter guide page the killing joke is quite far down the list and I wondered If there would be crucial things I'd miss because of my lack of batman knowledge. Or can I just read it now? Help please!!!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@frangipan: Lemme think... I don't think so. You actually don't need to know anything. You should recognize that Barbara Gordon (Jim Gordon's daughter) is Batgirl, but it's not really important.

The Killing Joke is one of the first comic books I've ever read. Enjoy! It's amazing

frangipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash

Okay I was worried about barbara gordon being batgirl because in year one she isn't even born yet! But I will definatelly buy it now!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Nothing. As long as you have an idea of who's who, you'll be fine

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@frangipan: I think it was quite far down the starter guide page because it is out of the main continuity (although certain things that happened in Killing Joke transferred to canon) and therefore the story isn't necessary to read in order to read other Bat-stories. You can pretty much read it anytime.

Barbara Gordon being Batgirl has no impact on the story whatsoever. I just thought that I should mention that

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frangipan: I say read the man who laughs first if you can get the edition with some older comics in it. Also read death in the family next to see its impact

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
    Cyclonus_The_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 463

User Lists: 1

I don't think you need to read anything before it, and since you started on Year One... you're off to a great start anyways. Check out Killing Joke. And when you get the chance... Peep Batman: The Wrath, Man Who Laughs, The Last Arkham, Venom, Knightfall, Tower of Babel (That's a JLA story but very damn good though involving Batman) Court of Owls, Night of the Owls, and City of the Owls.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@frangipan: I say read the man who laughs first if you can get the edition with some older comics in it. Also read death in the family next to see its impact

I'll second this.

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If reading Death In The family though be sure to get the newer edition with A Lonely Place of Dying as it shows how the death of Jason Todd affects him

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrael_online: do they sell the lonely place of dying on its own as I just got death in the family

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

You don't need to know anything.You just need to know who the Joker is,who Batman is,Barbara and Jim Gordon and you probably do know them so then you are absolutely ready to read it.

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@azrael_online: do they sell the lonely place of dying on its own as I just got death in the family

I think it's out of print, but you can get it used on amazon for under 20.00. If you don't want to spend that much it may be possible to get the individual issues for a little less. I got the newer TPB of them together for that reason, plus it really is a great story.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By PunyParker

That Joker is an adorable killer.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Absolutely nothing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.