Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How much did the Nolan trilogy affect how DC treats Batman?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

Obviously the last two films got the better reviews/more money/popularity than the first (with Bane and Joker already having iconic quotes, etc).

Were the Dark Knight movies a deciding factor in the solo titles that Batman got? And why Batman kept alot of his pre-52 continuity? I believe the trilogy definitely did change the way in which DC treated Batman, even comic wise.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LordoftheNorth

not really just look at Green Lantern he kept most of his continuity, cast, and titles it just has more to do with size of the cast of characters and the popularity of said characters

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it helped solidify his popularity and proved that having batman involved literally equates to more money. So I guess it led to him having more titles but that's debateable because he had a ton of titles before new 52. But i think it did give comics the idea of using the cape as a glider. Not sure though.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Zero....the reason that Batman and Green Lantern kept their continuity was because of Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I only think its solidify his place as DC's best selling hero and one of the most popular comic book characters in the world. It also helped him to be taken far more seriously than previous thought. And Bane has been officially pushed up as one of Batman's recognisable foes. And you can feel Nolan's presence in the comics and some of the other media that Batman been in. The recent Scarecrow in the new 52 Batman comics looks almost like the Nolan one.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frozen  Moderator

@danhimself: I'll change my statement - it is one the reasons that DC favour Batman, because the trilogy was very popular.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 frozen  Moderator

@lyrafay said:

I only think its solidify his place as DC's best selling hero and one of the most popular comic book characters in the world. It also helped him to be taken far more seriously than previous thought. And Bane has been officially pushed up as one of Batman's recognisable foes. And you can feel Nolan's presence in the comics and some of the other media that Batman been in. The recent Scarecrow in the new 52 Batman comics looks almost like the Nolan one.

I remember seeing a link here somewhere where DC comics copied (or took inspiration) from many aspects of the Nolan trilogy.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not really just look at Green Lantern he kept most of his continuity, cast, and titles it just has more to do with size of the cast of characters and the popularity of said characters

This.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By modernww2fare

I hate how everyone pushes the first one(Batman Begins) to the side as if it never happened

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Ostyo
    iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By iaconpoint

I think the Arkham games have affected the comics more. We now see Batman gliding and shooting over buildings and using his grapple gun more than in the past. Before the games he usually swung on ropes with batarangs attached and never used his cape to glide.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kidchipotle

@frozen said:

@danhimself: I'll change my statement - it is one the reasons that DC favour Batman, because the trilogy was very popular.

DC was favoring Batman long before the trilogy.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

It didn't.
    it's not Marvel.
    Comics affect movies....not the opposite.

brucewayne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no it'll never affect .... i think nolans dark knight increased batman fans .....

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 frozen  Moderator

I digress. DC pushed Batman alot more when TDK came out.

MrMiracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrMiracle

I think it had an effect on the number of batbooks. His popularity is greater than ever. Even the bad batbooks sell.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Increased importance of the Fox family,the Narrows,tumbler,Bane's redesign,gliding,use of gauntlets as weapons,you can also catch TDK references in recent Two-Face and Joker stories(Tomasi's Big Burn comes to mind).

I think the Arkham games have affected the comics more. We now see Batman gliding and shooting over buildings and using his grapple gun more than in the past. Before the games he usually swung on ropes with batarangs attached and never used his cape to glide.

The Nolan movies introduced the gliding before the Arkham games,heck the Batman vengeance game and Batman Begins game also had Batman gliding.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Yes I agree, a lot of people forget about all of that.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I'd also add Scarecrow's mask as well,and Gordons hair.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OrangeBat

@entropy_aegis: I'm fairly certain the gauntlets were used as weapons by Batman (or to deflect/block blades) before the Nolan films. I don't recall exactly where, but I'll try and look it up.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Increased importance of the Fox family,the Narrows,tumbler,Bane's redesign,gliding,use of gauntlets as weapons,you can also catch TDK references in recent Two-Face and Joker stories(Tomasi's Big Burn comes to mind).

The tumbler and tarantula-masked Bane are in the comics?

For once, I'm gonna have to agree with @entropy_aegis here (weird, right?). There's no doubt that the Arkham games themselves were heavily influenced by the Nolan movies, especially Arkham Origins.

No Caption Provided

Looks an awful lot like Arkham City don't it?

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modernww2fare: the cowl in arkham origins also looks very similar to the cowl in the dark knight. Both look more like helmets than cowls. Plus the batsuit chamber coming out of the floor just like in nolans movies.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By modernww2fare

@jayc1324 said:

@modernww2fare: the cowl in arkham origins also looks very similar to the cowl in the dark knight. Both look more like helmets than cowls. Plus the batsuit chamber coming out of the floor just like in nolans movies.

hell, so similar that when I first saw the trailer for Origins about a year ago I could've sworn he was wearing the same suit from TDK!

No Caption Provided

Let's not forget his "detective vision"

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frozen  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Gordon's hair was from Year One. But IIRC, there was a link posted here which showed the comics taking alot from the Nolan movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.