Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23649 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How many martial arts does Batman know?

• 140 results
    Avatar image for blacklightning13
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Blacklightning13

It has been said that Batman is a master of every martial art in the world. That can't be true, he simply didn't have enough training time. It has also been said Batman is a fighting genius and can master any martial art in just under a year. That is logical but it would also limit his number of martial arts to about 10.

So what do you think? How many martial arts does Batman know? And also how well does he know them?

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blacklightning13

I would think that he knows every major martial art (there's about 80 of them) and he knows them to the level of a 1st or 2nd dan in Karate. So the second rank of a black belt (there are 10 dans and 10 kyus). That would mean he could be titled as a master but he would only be about half way. Then I also believe he knows about 20% more that isn't included in the training he got. Such as pressure point that is available at the very highest of most martial arts.

gats_botl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By gats_botl

IMO the only real training he has had was with the league of shadows with ra's al ghul.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonSmith

@gats_botl: That was just the movie, sir. He never trained with the League of Assassins, though two of his Robins did.

On topic, I believe Bats knows all of them. And even uses techniques that are not exactly designed for martial arts to enhance his abilities.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

To truly be the master of any martial art, you must actually know no martial arts. Therefore Batman knows no Martial arts. Only one. Sumo. The Martial art of pushing people. People who are close to the edge. I'm trying not to lose my head. Ah huh-huh-huh. It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder. How I keep from going under.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By gotwillpower

Batman.Wikia.com: "He has mastered 127 styles of martial arts including Muay Thai, Escrima, Krav Maga, Capoeira, Savate, Yawyan, Taekwondo, Judo, Jujitsu, Ninjitsu, Kendo, Fencing, Kenjitsu, Kali, Bojutsu, Francombat, Boxing, Kickboxing, Hapkido, Wing Chun, Parkour, Shorin Ryu, Silat, Chin Na, Hokuto Shinken, Kyudo, Aikido, Varma Adi, Jeet Kune Do, Shaolin, Ba Gua, Hung Gar, Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Kenpo, and Karate." (Uh, Mr. Wiki, I don't think Parkour is a martial art, but uh...whatever)

Plus, "He had mastered full body control by the time he was 18." The goal of practicing a martial art is to improve your body control (to defend, attack, strengthen, meditate, etc). If he had already done that before he finished his training, he could have progressed through his training far faster than any regular practitioner. So yeah, I think he mastered them all.

However, the wiki also says: "His primary form of combat is an idiosyncratic admixture of Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Muay Thai, Karate, Boxing, Jujitsu, and Ninjitsu." So, while he probably understands the unique traits of the rest of the arts (Wing Chun's efficiency, Varma Adi's pressure points, Aikido's redirection, etc), it seems that he thinks the most important arts are those seven. Which makes sense, because I think it would be difficult for Batman to practice all of them in his spare time, and because the way he fights seems to somewhat reflect those seven arts.

As for how much he knows of each art...He's the goddamn Batman, of course he knows them all inside and out.

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blacklightning13

@JonSmith: @gotwillpower:

But think about it? To even master 127 martial arts would take close to 80 years even if he could master a martial art completely in just under a year and begin to learn a second while still learning the first. It's just to impossible, I can understand him knowing up to a black belt level (1st Dan) in 120 martial arts (this would give him a good understanding of how they work) and being a master to 10th dan in 7. But to be up to 10th dan in 127 is completely impossible.

Plus where does this leave time for him to get his amazing detective skills, near perfect body, escape artist skills, apparently has 12 master degrees and his knowledge on tactics.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JonSmith

@Blacklightning13: You say it's impossible for him to do these things? You ask how or when or why he could perform such impossible feats?

No Caption Provided
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blacklightning13

@JonSmith: It had to happen eventually.

I even considered doing to my self.

Gibbet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gibbet

Knows ever martial arts, only shows the ones seen in mass media

SMH

a good explanation is that he swiped prometheus' tech

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonSmith

@Blacklightning13: Doing what?

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blacklightning13

@Gibbet: Is there evidence of this?

@JonSmith: Posting the "I'm Batman picture".

Gibbet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gibbet

@Blacklightning13: Nope, just speculation because with all that crimefighting in gotham its hard to believe that he finds alternative methods

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JonSmith

@Blacklightning13: To be fair, you questioned Batman. "I'm Batman" is an inevitability at that point. If it didn't happen, your thread would collapse and all of reality would soon follow, falling into the gaping maw of the black hole left by the necessary answer of "I'm Batman" to the question of Batman's incredible powers.

Now aren't you glad I posted that picture before that horrific event took place?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Pyrogram

For example, to master wing chun alone it takes a lifetime, you cannot master more than 5 martial arts in your life. Fact.

I mean master, not just get good at.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alexander505

He knows all the martial arts, and 127 different styles of combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Why does he have to know every single one....how stupid...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wolfrazer

Saying "He's Batman" isn't a valid excuse, a funny one(though at this point in time, its becoming tiresome and mediocre)...but its not valid.

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blacklightning13

@Pyrogram: That is true. But you have to take into account apparently Bruce Wayne is a martial arts protege and can apparently master a martial art in a year of incredible intense training.

@Alexander505: Martial Arts are styles of combat...

Anyway there are several hundred martial arts to master all of them would take 2 or maybe 3 lifetimes.

I can understand him learning to a 1st Dan level for 120 of them then to a 10th Dan level for the 7 he uses most. But he also recieved training from richard dragon (who got his from O - sensei), I ching, Kirigi and Asano Nitobe.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By renamed040924

@Blacklightning13 said:

It has been said that Batman is a master of every martial art in the world. That can't be true, he simply didn't have enough training time. It has also been said Batman is a fighting genius and can master any martial art in just under a year. That is logical but it would also limit his number of martial arts to about 10.

So what do you think? How many martial arts does Batman know? And also how well does he know them?

He is a master of 127 different styles, of which he combined several to form his own signature style, though I can't remember which these several are.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By The_Ghostshell

"Quite possibly the greatest living Martial Artist"

"learned from Manhunters,and Martial Artists, mastering every fighting style"

No Caption Provided
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Blacklightning13

@Pyrogram said:

@Blacklightning13 said:

@Pyrogram: That is true. But you have to take into account apparently Bruce Wayne is a martial arts protege and can apparently master a martial art in a year of incredible intense training.

Anyway there are several hundred martial arts to master all of them would take 2 or maybe 3 lifetimes.

I can understand him learning to a 1st Dan level for 120 of them then to a 10th Dan level for the 7 he uses most. But he also recieved training from richard dragon (who got his from O - sensei), I ching, Kirigi and Asano Nitobe.

No, My master wakes up at 5am daily, trains, prayers and starts his class at 7am in the morning until 5pm, goes home and does a private lesson's until about 10PM. 24/7. He is intense and could master about 4 arts fully if he tried. Batman is obviously fake, its to long to learn 120 1st dans for crying out loud, only like 4 arts have a proper dan system for starts.

But the whole point is Batman is a martial arts genius and doesn't have to condition because his body is already in a near perfect condition.

Also when I talk about Dan's I just mean the equivalent across all martial arts. I know only a few actually use the system.

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blacklightning13

@Gambler said:

No Caption Provided

I know, I have read it.

But if you think logically that is totally impossible. There is thousands (hundred if you only count the still actively taught) of Martial arts in the world. Also it has been said many times that he has learnt all the major martial arts or it has also been said he has learnt 127. I'm guessing they wrote this because they didn't know how many martial arts there are, or they just got "knows every martial art" from "knows every major martial art".@nickzambuto said:

@Blacklightning13 said:

He is a master of 127 different styles, of which he combined several to form his own signature style, though I can't remember which these several are.

Yes but what do you mean by master? You could call yourself a master when you get a black belt (i'm using karate for an example) but for those involved in karate that is just the first rank of 1st Dan and to them Kyu (the coloured belts) is just the beginning ranks and 1st Dan is where you truly count as a practitioner of Karate.

I can imagine a genius for martial arts learning to a 1st Dan level in 120 martial arts and to a 10th dan in 7.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Blacklightning13: Logically Batman should age but never does ;) logic is pretty much non existent in comics. Sure there's an underlining thread of logic but for the most part comics require suspension of disbelief.

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blacklightning13

@Gambler: Yes but DC regularly resets and cuts outs bits of time. So he shouldn't be to old. And he is getting on, he should be about 30ish?

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shawnbaby

@Blacklightning13: You are trying to apply Real-World Logic to a Comic Book World...it doesn't work.

Logically, Batman shouldn't have been able to master 127 forms of martial arts....but that's besides the point. The point is that he has done so.

Logically, It should also be impossible for him to bench press 1000 lbs and to dodge bullets (it would be even more impossible for one man to be able to do both of those things)....but he can do those things as well.

Logically, A man doesn't decide to dedicate his life to become a costumed vigilante just because his parents were killed by a street thug.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

127 is it possible to master that many? no, but it's comic books, so stop complaining about it.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By renamed040924

@Blacklightning13 said:

@Gambler said:

No Caption Provided

I know, I have read it.

But if you think logically that is totally impossible. There is thousands (hundred if you only count the still actively taught) of Martial arts in the world. Also it has been said many times that he has learnt all the major martial arts or it has also been said he has learnt 127. I'm guessing they wrote this because they didn't know how many martial arts there are, or they just got "knows every martial art" from "knows every major martial art".@nickzambuto said:

@Blacklightning13 said:

Yes but what do you mean by master? You could call yourself a master when you get a black belt (i'm using karate for an example) but for those involved in karate that is just the first rank of 1st Dan and to them Kyu (the coloured belts) is just the beginning ranks and 1st Dan is where you truly count as a practitioner of Karate.

I can imagine a genius for martial arts learning to a 1st Dan level in 120 martial arts and to a 10th dan in 7.

The quote ranges from "mastered 127 different styles of martial arts" and "knows 127 different styles of martial arts", so if what you say is true we can go by the second one and call it a day.

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Blacklightning13

@nickzambuto: Sounds good.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @Shawnbaby:  Thus I question why people say Batman is relatable, when there are other actual street levelers who are.
    Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alexander505

@Blacklightning13 said:

No dude. The martial arts are disciplines like Karate. Styles are disciplines like Shotokan, a style that is derived from Karate. Understand the difference?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Lvenger

Is it realistically possible to master/learn 127 styles of martial arts in a decade or so? No more possible than it is for beings to fly and bend steel. Even street levellers like Batman are capable of a little more than they would be in the real world. It makes Batman a better character anyway and makes the challenges for him to face even more interesting. Besides you do have to let go of what's realistically possible when reading comics. That's the way they work. For all their attempts at scientific accuracies, real life situations and relatable characters, it's still a work of fiction and with that, many things are possible.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MasterDetective

he doesn't know every martial art in the world you silly...

just 127 of them

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alexander505

@MasterDetective said:

he doesn't know every martial art in the world you silly...

just 127 of them

The famous 127 are styles, not martial arts. In the comics, Batman himself has claimed to know every martial art in existence. These are facts, then stick to the comics without inventing anything.

http://batmanfeats.blogspot.it/p/martial-arts.html

ReganRuled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ReganRuled

I remember seeing a scan ages ago, where he was fighting a couple of thugs, and his narration box said - "I've studied over a hundred different martial arts". He then proceeded to talk about ways to break a man's bones. I'm not sure if that helps you, but I thought I'd add that in!

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alexander505

Mentions that he's trained to perfection in every combat form there is plus how he can incapacitate a person in 463 different ways without drawing blood (Batman The Widening Gyre #4)

No Caption Provided

ReganRuled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ReganRuled
    @Alexander505: You genius! That's the one I was thinking of!
    Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Alexander505

^_^

REDSkill3t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By REDSkill3t

I believe he's mastered all known martial arts and that he's a fighting genius

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pyrogram

@Alexander505 said:

@Blacklightning13 said:

No dude. The martial arts are disciplines like Karate. Styles are disciplines like Shotokan, a style that is derived from Karate. Understand the difference?

No, they are styles of combat.. Made and adapted for different scenarios. They are also a discipline.

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Blacklightning13

@Pyrogram said:

@Alexander505 said:

@Blacklightning13 said:

No, they are styles of combat.. Made and adapted for different scenarios. They are also a discipline.

It is required for Alexander505 to suck some apples.

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blacklightning13
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Blacklightning13: The one I posted is from the DCU encyclopedia I'm fairly certain

Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Blacklightning13

@Gambler: Ok cool. Because it's funny how they say different things but they are both encyclopedias.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no way to know every single martial art, if you take that ancient chinesse kung fu, is actually like 9000 style of combat, it would mean there is no way some one know all the ancient chinesse ones.

Batman most know all the moves the human body can make, that is posible, but to be honest, i am sure he know at least had to learn 10 styles, most of them external and some of them internal.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By ImmortalOne

He's a comic book character. It's impossible to master 127 forms of martial arts in real life, but this is fictional.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pyrogram

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

There is no way to know every single martial art, if you take that ancient chinesse kung fu, is actually like 9000 style of combat, it would mean there is no way some one know all the ancient chinesse ones.

Batman most know all the moves the human body can make, that is posible, but to be honest, i am sure he know at least had to learn 10 styles, most of them external and some of them internal.

Kung fu is not a martial art.. it means martial art in Chinese -_-

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Stronger
    Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Alexander505

Has spent years perfecting every known fighting discipline (The Ultimate Guide to the Justice League of America)

No Caption Provided

Is said to be quite possibly the greatest martial artist alive and a master of every fighting style on earth (DC Comics Encyclopedia vol 2)

No Caption Provided

Is a master of all fighting arts with his courage being said to be the only thing that matches his skill (Detective Comics #411)

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.