Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How is Batman Earth One?

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I havent read Batman Earth One because it was out of continuity and I didnt think I needed to read about Batmans origin, but I heard Geoff Johns will be co writing the new Batman film and itis supposedly the main basis for the new film. Is the comic good and do you think it will make for a good Batman film?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hahaha no. And If the movie is based on that It should be the biggest flop of the year

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty bad to be honest.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By darkdetective27

@black_arrow: So does this mean we have a new low point in the Batman franchise.I mean between Frank Miller and Geoff Johns who would make a worse Batman film.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I liked it, but it was really different from what most people were expecting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was OK, just don't expect a competent badass batman. Expect a regular guy who can barely fight.

It would suck as a movie.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: So does this mean we have a new low point in the Batman franchise.I mean between Frank Miller and Geoff Johns who would make a worse Batman film.

I think that Geoff would make the worst movie. I found Sin City deceant so Miller would make an Ok Batman movie.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: God Batman is doomed and Ben Affleck better watch his head because if the movie is bad this will prove the haters were right about Batfleck.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good. It's out of continuity and gradually shows Batman becoming the master tactician, martial artist, and detective we all know. I was turned off by it because of some of the butthurt CV users, but I eventually got it and enjoyed it.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I heard of there not a single confirmation that the movie will be based on that and with a Batman that old I highly doubt that they would do an origin story.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: I mean what would you say the odds of him ruining Batman and we get something like Gotham or worse.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

It's bad dont bother.

@darkdetective27 said:

@black_arrow: I mean what would you say the odds of him ruining Batman and we get something like Gotham or worse.

If his role is plotting and villain development then he should fine,just dont allow him anywhere near Batman himself,Johns isn't that bad when it comes to Batman's mythology,it's Batman himself that sucks.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NYBreezy

Worst Batman book ever! But it had an ok story. In conclusion, Geoff can't write a good Batman to save his life.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkdetective27

@nybreezy: I guess hopefully Ben Affleck is a good Batman writer.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As long as you don't expect Batgod our lord and prepmaster, it's pretty good.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I dont want Batgod but I also want a Batman who is really good at what he does. I guess with it being an origin tale it should be good and make sense.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way is going to be Gotham Bad.

Gotham is the lowest point of Batman in live action.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I havent read Batman Earth One because it was out of continuity and I didnt think I needed to read about Batmans origin, but I heard Geoff Johns will be co writing the new Batman film and itis supposedly the main basis for the new film. Is the comic good and do you think it will make for a good Batman film?

If you're firmly ingrained in the long history of Batman's mythology, you probably will not like it. Understand it's a radically different and more grounded take on Batman, which adds some new elements and twists on the mythology. Personally I did not like it. I felt it had some merits but ultimately fell flat. I love Johns as a writer, but imo he doesn't have a good grasp on the batman character.

Loading Video...

This video perfectly encapsulates what Batman Earth One is. It's long, but insightful and hilarious. Definitely worth watching. As far as origin stories, Batman year one is the definitive Batman origin story. Snyder's Zero Year is pretty solid as well but definitely a notch below Year one in my opinion.

ZorakLocust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't gotten around to reading Volume 2 yet, but I liked Volume 1. I like that Batman is portrayed as an inexperienced crime fighter whose in over his head at the beginning. I know a lot of people take issue with how incompetent Batman is in the Earth One continuity, but there is that implication that Bruce has to slowly grow into the experienced vigilante from the mainstream continuity. I also love what Johns did with Alfred, and I liked how he seems to be handling Harvey Bullock.

On another note, it's kind of funny that the Earth One series actually seems to be doing a better job of making Batman a more realistic crime fighter than the Nolan movies did.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a different take on Batman, it's a different character entirely. Don't know why Geoff Johns did what he did to Batman because the story had great potential with the interesting takes on Bullock and Gordon.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By OrangeBat

Bullock and Alfred were decent (especially Bullock). It's kind of like Alice Syndrome in Twilight. Harvey Bullock is effing fantastic in the way Johns writes him, but everything else sucks so much that you wish he was in a better story.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: I honestly wish the story was Harvey Bullock: Earth One.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: Harvey Bullock is good in the story thats good. It always good to see him get some of the spotlight.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the story, I loved the art.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: I think rami would have do a better job than him

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Earth One is a fantastic reimagining of Batman's early days. But I have no clue how the film will take on board a single thing from this, it just doesn't make sense. That being said, the book is definitely worth the read. Amazing art, a really human and touching story, and a clever plot. Sure, seeing as it's another origin story the book has its haters, along with the fact that he doesn't act like the ultimate 'Batgod' that we get in regular continuity, but that's the point of this book - it's a fresh, more plausible and more human interpretation of the Dark Knight.

So I'd recommend reading it. And it's up to you on what you think the connection will be for The Batman movie. Hope this helped!

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It sucks.

oompers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like All-Star Batman and Robin, but without the unintentional comedy

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: I've read vol1 and liked it. A very nice take on batman's origin and interesting introduction of alfred. I think it's well worth reading. Exactly as @scolton97 said. Don't mind the haters, none of them tell us why they think it sucked !

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I loved it, and for the most part it's received critical acclaim.

However some fans hate it because it's a very different take on batman, but that's the whole point of the Earth One books, to do things differently (which is why I hate Superman Earth One).

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: Wow you must have been really digging to find this. I honestly forgot about it.

Thanks for all your opinions. I guess Ill read it soon to form my own opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.