How Grant Morrison Ruined Batman (and Scott Snyder Saved Him)

  • 59 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by GothamsKnight15 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Article I read and enjoyed, probably posted on here before. Would love to hear opinions.

Grant Morrison is one of those writers that I simply do not understand. His works are constantly praised and labeled as “genius” by his fans while criticisms are brushed away with excuses like “you just don’t get it.”. The problem I have with Morrison isn’t that I don’t understand what’s going on in his “genius” stories, it’s that I don’t understand why he feels the need to do what he does in the first place. He takes everything to the extreme, no matter the cost. He wants to make his stories the biggest and most important stories in that character’s history because he sees himself as the most important writer in the history of the written word. His stories usually require some amount of additional reading to fully comprehend what you just read and many people confuse that with genius. I think he spends so much of his time trying to interweave his story within itself that he forgets to actually, you know, write a good story. In 2007, Grant Morrison was granted creative control over one of the most iconic characters in comic book history: Batman. Four years later, the entire DC universe would come to an end.

Way back in 1987 in a story called “Son of the Demon” it is revealed that Talia al Ghul and Batman did the Bat-dance and are now expecting a Batbaby. To make a long story short, she told Batman that she lost Bat Jr. to a miscarriage but we are later shown that he is actually alive and Talia just dropped him off on somebody’s door step. That child was never mentioned again until he was brought back into the picture in the form of 10 year old Damian Wayne. In “Batman and Son”, Morrison’s first Batman story arc, Damian spends most of his time being an arrogant prick to Bruce while simultaneously trying to take the Robin title from Tim Drake, and he kills people (which is kind of a no-no in the Batman family). Morrison originally planned on killing Damian at the end of the story (there’s an idea!) but the stupid fans ended up changing his mind.

He’s a good-looking boy.

Damian would eventually succeed and become the new Robin, but first Morrison had another gimmicky publicity stunt to drop on Batman fans: Batman R.I.P. Killing off a major character in a comic book is about as lame as you can get. Everybody knows it’s not permanent so it ends up being a big waste of time while everyone waits for that character to inevitably return. And this isn’t just any old character, this is Bruce Wayne we’re talking about. Let me sum it up for you as quickly as I can. Bruce Wayne dies (not really) and Dick Grayson takes over as Batman. Sound familiar? If you are a longtime Batman reader it should. Dick Grayson temporarily took over as Batman following the events of “Knightfall” in a story called “Prodigal”. Dick goes on to appoint Damian as the new Robin. Why? I have no idea. Tim Drake took the time and did the work to earn the title of Robin, and here Dick just says “too bad” and gives it to Damian, who is a prick. Anyway, they patrol Gotham and fight crime in Bruce’s absence and eventually they become friends. Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne is not dead (surprise!) but is stuck in the past for some reason. Now he must travel through time to get back to the present day. He proceeds to do this in the most ridiculous way imaginable. First he is a caveman, then a pirate, and then a cowboy pilgrim guy before finally returning to modern day and reclaiming his place as Batman. Read that sentence again and tell me it’s a good idea.

It’s not.

So all’s well that ends well, right? Bruce Wayne is back to being Batman and Gotham is safe once again. I wish it were that simple. But nothing with Grant Morrison is ever that simple. All of a sudden, Bruce has a realization that he can’t do this alone, so naturally his only option is to form a global corporation called Batman Inc. and his plan is to travel the world training various Batmen to be… Batmen. This idea is just ludicrous on premise alone. What’s worse is that now we have Bruce Wayne publicly stating that he is funding Batman Inc. and has been bankrolling Batman the whole time. The whole idea of Bruce Wayne doing this is absolutely balls to the wall crazy. It would immediately make him the primary target of every semi-competent villain in Gotham. How do you stop the Batman? Cut off his funding. Kill Bruce Wayne. And as far as the whole global Batman initiative for problems that are too big for one Batman… isn’t that what the Justice League is for?

These guys are our only hope for world peace.

As a side note, I also want to mention that Grant Morrison brought back Bat-Mite. Seriously.

So now we have Dick Grayson as Batman in Gotham with Damian Wayne as his Robin and Bruce Wayne traveling around the world training people in random countries to be Batmen. There’s no rhyme or reason to any of the countries he picks either. It’s a mess. How do we fix this? Reboot.

The New 52 reboot was, in my opinion, a genius move by DC Comics. It made it very appealing and easy for new readers to jump into the DC Universe and sales dramatically increased. Not only that, but they put the right talent in the right places and it paid off with some surprisingly good titles. Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Animal Man all come to mind as surprise hits. And of course, Scott Snyder took over the writing for Batman. What followed was some of the best work we’ve seen on Batman in the last two decades. Prior to the reboot Snyder had a great run on Detective Comics in which he wrote “The Black Mirror”. This story takes place while Dick Grayson is still Batman but it stands out as one of the best Batman stories in recent memory, so it was only natural that Snyder take the reins of Batman in the New 52.

While many characters were given clean slates in this New 52 DC Universe, much of Batman’s continuity remained intact. Batman Inc. was eliminated (and later brought back. Why? I have no clue.) and Bruce Wayne was reinstated as the only Batman in Gotham while Dick Grayson returned to his former alias, Nightwing. Damian is still Robin but is really only seen in the Batman & Robin title, not so much in Snyder’s Batman. The first story arc of the new Batman title is “The Court of Owls”. Basically the Court of Owls has been pulling the strings in Gotham for hundreds of years. Slowly but surely they wear down Batman until finally launching an all out assault on various important figures throughout Gotham City. I don’t want to spoil much because this story is truly that good. It doesn’t erase all the damage done by Grant Morrison, but we are back on the right track.

Just read it. It’s great.

What Morrison failed to do was what Snyder does extremely well: he understands the character. Scott Snyder doesn’t need gimmicks or tricks to write a great story. He uses his understanding of the characters at his disposal to create something fresh, yet familiar at the same time. These are the characters that we have been fans of since childhood. Morrison, on the other hand, tried to bend the character to his will. He didn’t try to write a great Batman story, he wrote a Grant Morrison story that featured Batman, and that’s a big difference. I mean, this is a guy who once said that Batman is “really, really gay” in an interview. Is that really the guy we want to give complete creative freedom to?

#2 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4820 posts) - - Show Bio

Brace yourself for the backlash.

#3 Posted by GothamsKnight15 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol I know, Everyone will assume this is from my own mouth.

#4 Posted by The_Tree (7864 posts) - - Show Bio

No, just no.

#5 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever goes down in this thread will be the catylst to the End of Days.

#6 Posted by JairamGanpat (957 posts) - - Show Bio

What have you done???!!!!

#7 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Your complaints about Morrison can be made for Snyder as well.

I couldn't care less, I enjoy both writers.

#8 Posted by GothamsKnight15 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, again its an article I found not from my own mouth.

Love the heated debate though.

#9 Posted by wessaari (632 posts) - - Show Bio

Im more of a guy who loves Snyder, and doesnt understand what the hell Morrison is doing. His failures are overwritten by his successes and fan favorites. I think he has done a lot of interesting stuff with the mythology, and he continues to do so, but he makes weird/bad/nonsensical decisions which makes me not want to touch his stuff. Morrison does, what Morrison wants, and when we are in a huge universe such as the Batman mythology, you cant overwrite what other people are doing just so you can. Same can be said for Snyder, but he instead gets people's input and includes them in his work. When you have a guy whos a leader and a team player you can create some awesome stuff. When you have a guy who wants to lead, but does what he wants and the teams is left in the wind, well you get the picture.

BUT, i do have a good amount of respect for him in some departments, but if he continues his Morrison crusade, than frankly i just dont give a damn

#10 Posted by Onemoreposter (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

I wont lie. I didn't even read the OP. Just from the title I know the article is invalid.

Online
#11 Posted by ccraft (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, Scott has done a great job on Batman. Peter, Tony, and John Layman have been doing a great job on the Batman titles. The art have been wonderful. I love Damian in the New 52 way better than on Grant's run. I don't iknow if Grant will kill off Damian in his run of Batman Inc, a few people think so, I curtainly hope not.

While I liked Batman and Son I didn't love it. I didn't like Black Glove, Resurection of Ra's Al Ghul, or RIP. I also had no clue what was going on in Final Crisis... I did like the story Battle for the Cowl, loved how Jason was an evil Batman, and the art was great. Batman and Robin Reborn was just awful, Jason looked dumb, and the part where he said Bruce made me dye his hair black to look like Dick was just stupid.

#13 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Grant Morrison is THE Batman writer I feel like. Couple that with my opinion that he wrote the definitive story for the definitive superhero (All Star Superman) and I just can't side with opinions that degrade him as a writer.

#14 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

UGhhhhhhhhhhhh.not this again....look,this is quite easy to understand!

some people prefer morrison,other prefer snyder...doesn't make one better than the other.

i myself read a lot of morrison and didnt like it much,but his current batman inc is pretty good and enjoyable.

the same for snyder,he has some good stories in COO and DOTF but the status quo dont change the same way ((which is not a problem))

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

I wont lie. I didn't even read the OP. Just from the title I know the article is invalid.

Exactly. Reading this article would just cause my IQ to drop like 70 points.

#16 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Love how he points out how great the idea of Court of Owls is without mentioning that it's basically the same idea as the Black Glove.

But I guess having a catchier title for the group matters more to this guy.

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (15079 posts) - - Show Bio

This made me laugh.Basically the Court of Owls in an original idea that not at all is a copy of the Black Glove and the whole story line felt like it was copying R.I.P.

#18 Posted by ccraft (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

@xtremekidx:

Is Batman Inc good? I was thinking of picking up 1-8 before the 27th to see what happens to Damian, Batcow seems kinda to out there lol. I love how Damian's cat was introduced.

Batman 666 was awesome, future Damian as Batman would be cool as an ongoing! Hes just a bad*ss Batman. Batman RIP was pretty good, I just couldn't really remember what happened, until now.

#19 Posted by The_Tree (7864 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: Batman Inc. is great. It's not as "out there" as Morrison's other works and it's probably one of his easiest reads. The only thing you'll have to get past is the art. It's got a very cartoon-y quality to it that may put you off, but you may end up enjoying it just as I do.

#20 Posted by Loki9876 (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I be honest I don't like Morrison's Batman run (don't hate me).

#21 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

The person who wrote this article is a moron.

#22 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

first i will say that i think Morrison's run was great and i think Snyder's run is great. period.

even though its possible to certainly make a good argument of why has Morrison done a bad job presenting good criticism while praising Snyder in comparison

This article doesnt present any not good criticism at all

for example

So now we have Dick Grayson as Batman in Gotham with Damian Wayne as his Robin and Bruce Wayne traveling around the world training people in random countries to be Batmen. There’s no rhyme or reason to any of the countries he picks either. It’s a mess. How do we fix this? Reboot.

Why is it a mess?

you are not presenting any point that shows that those things are bad except that the countries are being chosen at random and the reboot didnt removed any of those things either way so if the reboot fixed the "mess" of Morrison, i have no idea how since Batman Inc is still going and has an spin off in Batwing

second of all regarding the reboot

Not only that, but they put the right talent in the right places and it paid off with some surprisingly good titles. Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Animal Man all come to mind as surprise hits.

1- what exactly does that have to do with Batman? since it was mostly untouch except for Catwoman who is now the worst version of her that has ever been made and Barbara Gordon reduced to being Victimgirl

and for every single title that has had the benefit of getting a good creative team thanks for the new 52 i can think of at least 3 or 4 that hasnt

like for example putting Rob Liefeld in, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 title all which were drove to the ground on sales and fans just hated

but lets talk of batman, what about Tony Daniel in Tec, he is an excellent artist but a terrible writer, the same can be said of Finch in Dark Knight. and both runs were BALLS

if you had a point in this article you completely failed to make it across, at least to me

the only thing that you confirm is this

Grant Morrison is one of those writers that I simply do not understand. His works are constantly praised and labeled as “genius” by his fans while criticisms are brushed away with excuses like “you just don’t get it.”.

this article just proved that

You just dont get it

#23 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman inc is average.i have al the pre52 ones and new 52 ones and just think its a average read can't wait for it to end so I can stop buying it.grant Morrison makes confusing titles that have to much pre52 in it.but least he can write a decent ending to his batman stories unlike Scott Snyder.YEAH I SAID IT!SCOTT SNYDER TWO BATMAN STORIES WERE AMAZING BUT THE ENDING OF THEM BOTH ARE LACKING!

#24 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

Pays Morrison didn't ruin Batman! He wrote one of the best arcs for the character and Snyder followed suit with a different yet enthralling story of a capable Batman who could still be challenged.

#25 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha, this guy really hates trying to understand things. Morrison doesn't spoon feed you much - you have to think and analyze and put things together yourself. I can see why that would make a person really dislike the Morrison run, (and that's fair) but to act as if the run isn't well thought out or any of the other garbage he says is dumb. But, to show why what he is saying is garbage, I have listed some counter-arguments below.

"Way back in 1987 in a story called “Son of the Demon” it is revealed that Talia al Ghul and Batman did the Bat-dance and are now expecting a Batbaby. To make a long story short, she told Batman that she lost Bat Jr. to a miscarriage but we are later shown that he is actually alive and Talia just dropped him off on somebody’s door step. That child was never mentioned again until he was brought back into the picture in the form of 10 year old Damian Wayne."

It was an Elseworlds story, an attempt by Morrison to bring to light many of the weird and original corners of the DC Universe, and she had him trained by the League of Shadows. Hardly dropping him off on a doorstep.

"Killing off a major character in a comic book is about as lame as you can get. Everybody knows it’s not permanent so it ends up being a big waste of time while everyone waits for that character to inevitably return."

I'm not sure people would describe "Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow?" as lame, and that's where a major character is killed off. Also, obviously the character will come back. That's why we read them! That's like saying, "reading superhero comics is dumb because the superhero is just going to win in the end."

"Dick goes on to appoint Damian as the new Robin. Why? I have no idea. Tim Drake took the time and did the work to earn the title of Robin, and here Dick just says “too bad” and gives it to Damian, who is a prick."

He is right in saying he has no idea why. Dick feels like Tim has outgrown the Robin title, and feels that they are equals. Tim has earned more than the Robin title, and so he moves past it, just like Dick did.

"All of a sudden, Bruce has a realization that he can’t do this alone, so naturally his only option is to form a global corporation called Batman Inc."

The foundations for Batman Inc. were laid even before Batman and Robin came out with the Outsiders and Battle for Cowl tie-ins to Batman R.I.P.

"How do you stop the Batman? Cut off his funding. Kill Bruce Wayne. And as far as the whole global Batman initiative for problems that are too big for one Batman… isn’t that what the Justice League is for?"

Bruce Wayne would be just s hard to kill as Batman, as they are the same person. And Batman wishes he could control the Justice League, so this makes perfect sense. It's a mini JL that he controls.

"It’s a mess. How do we fix this? Reboot."

Except as the writer mentions later, the reboot doesn't really effect the continuity at all. How can it be better if they are pretty much the same?

#26 Posted by consolemaster001 (6035 posts) - - Show Bio

@GothamsKnight15: batman inc. was a stupid f*cking idea

Online
#27 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18316 posts) - - Show Bio

This Thread is amazingly stupid.

#28 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

...am I allowed to like both?

#29 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that Grant Morrison ruins Batman as much as i also dont think that Frank Miller has bad writing in All Star Batman and Robin.

I think both of them are really great writer with really unique writing style and taste that some people didn't want to accept.

#30 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires said:

...am I allowed to like both?

But then how will you bash one of them? :O

#31 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

Can I be honest I don't like Morrison's Batman run (don't hate me).

Understandable, but the reasoning of the guy in the article doesn't really sound very sound. And I haven't even read Morrison's run yet. >.>

#32 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't make it past that Court of Owls image.

#33 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

While I think that both Snyder and Morrison are good writers, neither one of them is my favorite Batman writer.

#34 Posted by Humanoid (132 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison is the King. Screw you all.

#35 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@GothamsKnight15 said:

Article I read and enjoyed, probably posted on here before. Would love to hear opinions.

Grant Morrison is one of those writers that I simply do not understand. His works are constantly praised and labeled as “genius” by his fans while criticisms are brushed away with excuses like “you just don’t get it.”. The problem I have with Morrison isn’t that I don’t understand what’s going on in his “genius” stories, it’s that I don’t understand why he feels the need to do what he does in the first place. He takes everything to the extreme, no matter the cost. He wants to make his stories the biggest and most important stories in that character’s history because he sees himself as the most important writer in the history of the written word. His stories usually require some amount of additional reading to fully comprehend what you just read and many people confuse that with genius. I think he spends so much of his time trying to interweave his story within itself that he forgets to actually, you know, write a good story. In 2007, Grant Morrison was granted creative control over one of the most iconic characters in comic book history: Batman. Four years later, the entire DC universe would come to an end.

Way back in 1987 in a story called “Son of the Demon” it is revealed that Talia al Ghul and Batman did the Bat-dance and are now expecting a Batbaby. To make a long story short, she told Batman that she lost Bat Jr. to a miscarriage but we are later shown that he is actually alive and Talia just dropped him off on somebody’s door step. That child was never mentioned again until he was brought back into the picture in the form of 10 year old Damian Wayne. In “Batman and Son”, Morrison’s first Batman story arc, Damian spends most of his time being an arrogant prick to Bruce while simultaneously trying to take the Robin title from Tim Drake, and he kills people (which is kind of a no-no in the Batman family). Morrison originally planned on killing Damian at the end of the story (there’s an idea!) but the stupid fans ended up changing his mind.

He’s a good-looking boy.

Damian would eventually succeed and become the new Robin, but first Morrison had another gimmicky publicity stunt to drop on Batman fans: Batman R.I.P. Killing off a major character in a comic book is about as lame as you can get. Everybody knows it’s not permanent so it ends up being a big waste of time while everyone waits for that character to inevitably return. And this isn’t just any old character, this is Bruce Wayne we’re talking about. Let me sum it up for you as quickly as I can. Bruce Wayne dies (not really) and Dick Grayson takes over as Batman. Sound familiar? If you are a longtime Batman reader it should. Dick Grayson temporarily took over as Batman following the events of “Knightfall” in a story called “Prodigal”. Dick goes on to appoint Damian as the new Robin. Why? I have no idea. Tim Drake took the time and did the work to earn the title of Robin, and here Dick just says “too bad” and gives it to Damian, who is a prick. Anyway, they patrol Gotham and fight crime in Bruce’s absence and eventually they become friends. Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne is not dead (surprise!) but is stuck in the past for some reason. Now he must travel through time to get back to the present day. He proceeds to do this in the most ridiculous way imaginable. First he is a caveman, then a pirate, and then a cowboy pilgrim guy before finally returning to modern day and reclaiming his place as Batman. Read that sentence again and tell me it’s a good idea.

It’s not.

So all’s well that ends well, right? Bruce Wayne is back to being Batman and Gotham is safe once again. I wish it were that simple. But nothing with Grant Morrison is ever that simple. All of a sudden, Bruce has a realization that he can’t do this alone, so naturally his only option is to form a global corporation called Batman Inc. and his plan is to travel the world training various Batmen to be… Batmen. This idea is just ludicrous on premise alone. What’s worse is that now we have Bruce Wayne publicly stating that he is funding Batman Inc. and has been bankrolling Batman the whole time. The whole idea of Bruce Wayne doing this is absolutely balls to the wall crazy. It would immediately make him the primary target of every semi-competent villain in Gotham. How do you stop the Batman? Cut off his funding. Kill Bruce Wayne. And as far as the whole global Batman initiative for problems that are too big for one Batman… isn’t that what the Justice League is for?

These guys are our only hope for world peace.

As a side note, I also want to mention that Grant Morrison brought back Bat-Mite. Seriously.

So now we have Dick Grayson as Batman in Gotham with Damian Wayne as his Robin and Bruce Wayne traveling around the world training people in random countries to be Batmen. There’s no rhyme or reason to any of the countries he picks either. It’s a mess. How do we fix this? Reboot.

The New 52 reboot was, in my opinion, a genius move by DC Comics. It made it very appealing and easy for new readers to jump into the DC Universe and sales dramatically increased. Not only that, but they put the right talent in the right places and it paid off with some surprisingly good titles. Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Animal Man all come to mind as surprise hits. And of course, Scott Snyder took over the writing for Batman. What followed was some of the best work we’ve seen on Batman in the last two decades. Prior to the reboot Snyder had a great run on Detective Comics in which he wrote “The Black Mirror”. This story takes place while Dick Grayson is still Batman but it stands out as one of the best Batman stories in recent memory, so it was only natural that Snyder take the reins of Batman in the New 52.

While many characters were given clean slates in this New 52 DC Universe, much of Batman’s continuity remained intact. Batman Inc. was eliminated (and later brought back. Why? I have no clue.) and Bruce Wayne was reinstated as the only Batman in Gotham while Dick Grayson returned to his former alias, Nightwing. Damian is still Robin but is really only seen in the Batman & Robin title, not so much in Snyder’s Batman. The first story arc of the new Batman title is “The Court of Owls”. Basically the Court of Owls has been pulling the strings in Gotham for hundreds of years. Slowly but surely they wear down Batman until finally launching an all out assault on various important figures throughout Gotham City. I don’t want to spoil much because this story is truly that good. It doesn’t erase all the damage done by Grant Morrison, but we are back on the right track.

Just read it. It’s great.

What Morrison failed to do was what Snyder does extremely well: he understands the character. Scott Snyder doesn’t need gimmicks or tricks to write a great story. He uses his understanding of the characters at his disposal to create something fresh, yet familiar at the same time. These are the characters that we have been fans of since childhood. Morrison, on the other hand, tried to bend the character to his will. He didn’t try to write a great Batman story, he wrote a Grant Morrison story that featured Batman, and that’s a big difference. I mean, this is a guy who once said that Batman is “really, really gay” in an interview. Is that really the guy we want to give complete creative freedom to?

What a load of rubbish,this article has absolutely no genuine criticism.@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Onemoreposter said:

I wont lie. I didn't even read the OP. Just from the title I know the article is invalid.

Exactly. Reading this article would just cause my IQ to drop like 70 points.

It took me only 30 seconds to read it,shows how much depth and thought was put in to it.It's just random fanboy non sense,"I dont like Batmite,I dont like Batman INC,I like Batman sticking to Gotham and fighting serial killers"

#36 Posted by rolldestroyer (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

i read the whole article, and i must say, you will always find arguments criticizing writers.......but i have to comment on this sentence:

He wants to make his stories the biggest and most important stories in that character’s history because he sees himself as the most important writer in the history of the written word

that's actually what i like about grant morrison, he wrote one of the most important story arcs in batman history, i mean i always like reading major story arcs more than the minor ones, and who wouldnt? i dont care if this is to make him the most important writer in history or not just as long as the story is good.

#37 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I like some of snnyders batman work like The black mirror and The Death of the family, but i was kinda bored with his Court of Owls story. I prefer Morrison because his work pays of in the lonng run and you feel that the previous issues his other arcs actually matter which is a problem withh a lot of todays comic writers. They write a huge arc but then the next issue everyone acts as though nothing happened, its really annoying

#38 Posted by danhimself (22683 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Morrison's run...it is confusing at times and I did have to reread it once but sometimes there's fun in that like when you pick up things that you might have missed before or certain clues that didn't matter at the time but once you know the ending they really stand out....I like it when a writer is able to make every single issue of his run matter even when an issue may seem like a filler there's always something small or even tiny in it that pays off in the end...it's why I enjoy writers like Morrison and Hickman

I still like Snyder's run so far also...it's tons of fun and refreshing to read something that's pretty straight forward even if the scale seems pretty big

#39 Posted by wessaari (632 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, is it a crime to not like a writer. Jeez, the utter disrespect and rudeness over a guy who has a differnt opinion than you really must piss yal off. I dont agree with everything the OP said, but Morrison is NOT for everyone, the fact that it is so hard for people to grasp that concept is astounding.

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34303 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both but Morrison is Scottish soooo......

#41 Posted by Superbat420 (253 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought morrisons strories were great besides the fact he tried to hard to change the groundwork for batman just so his writing would be remembered.

#42 Posted by havoc1201 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superbat420 said:

I thought morrisons strories were great besides the fact he tried to hard to change the groundwork for batman just so his writing would be remembered.

agreed also how he always brought up the 50's area batman with all the old lame campy stories also had picks from the 50's with him and the league smiling and waving...so lame seeing that history never happened on this Earth but whatever, my major problem is Batman INC and how Bruce openly stated he funds INC and has been funding Batman all along i find that so out of character and can never see that happen ever i mean by him doing that it really is not hard for anyone to see that they are the same person and when he has his press release he has Dick Tim and Damian up with him...wait how many guy allies work with batman in gothem? 3/ and the are the same build i wonder if they are the same people...Dumb

#43 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed both takes...and there's nothing wrong with that.

Batman's a character that has undergone countless iterations and interpretations across various mediums.

Morrison's Batman was more heady and psychedelic and Snyder's is more mysterious and edgy. And I love both.

#44 Edited by MuyJingo (1934 posts) - - Show Bio

@GothamsKnight15 said:

I know it's not your words, don't worry.

much of Batman’s continuity remained intact

Not sure why this nonsense continues to be spouted. Batman has changed a lot, Green Lantern is the one who has barely changed

What Morrison failed to do was what Snyder does extremely well: he understands the character. Scott Snyder doesn’t need gimmicks or tricks to write a great story. He uses his understanding of the characters at his disposal to create something fresh, yet familiar at the same time.

What nonsense. I didn't like Batman Inc in premise, and Bruce Wayne going through time was silly....but Morrison was one of the best writers on Batman. He captured the dark obsessive nature and showed just why he was so damn good. Bring back Bat-mite as a hallucination was genius. Bringing back Damien was genius and has given us some amazing arcs.

Snyder has given us trite stories showing he doesn't understand the character. He gives us a Bruce Wayne pretty far removed from being the worlds greatest detective, who is arrogant and impulsive, with a focus on his physical prowess. No thanks.

#45 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1714 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Snyder has not really saved Batman, Grant Morrison didn't kill him. Both had 'interesting' ideas. At the moment I am liking Grant more due to the sub-par ending of Death of the Family! But Man-of-many-Bats and Italian Batman are just as bad...bring back Denny O'Neil!

#46 Posted by JakeN7 (12804 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson said:

But Man-of-many-Bats and Italian Batman are just as bad

It's Man-Of-Bats (and Little Raven) and they have hardly been seen in the New 52 at all. They didn't even play that prominent of a role Pre-Flashpoint either.

Also, Italian Batman? There isn't one. Maybe you mean El Gaucho (Argentina)...

#47 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to open up and say that he actually never heard of the book son of the demon when he wrote batman and son. In fact he didn't know until after someone pointed it out to him.

#48 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1714 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7: It's bad enough they existed when they were originally created, let alone brought back for a nostalgia wave. Italian Batman was the gladiator guy...I'll have to go check my trade paperback

#49 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@GothamsKnight15: You would be wise to use quotation marks next time.

#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

Wow, is it a crime to not like a writer. Jeez, the utter disrespect and rudeness over a guy who has a differnt opinion than you really must piss yal off. I dont agree with everything the OP said, but Morrison is NOT for everyone, the fact that it is so hard for people to grasp that concept is astounding.

His attitude doesn't help and his arguments are worthless.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.