Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How Do You Envision Batman?

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Edited By sj_esposito

When you think about Batman -- or any character, really -- how do you see them in your mind's eye? How do you render that character in memory and what type of imagery and symbolism do you associate with that character?  

Over the years Batman has gone through numerous different looks. From Bruce's build and stature, to the material and fit of the Bat-suit and the shape of the ears on his cowl, every artist seems to have a different vision for what the Dark Knight should look like. The same can be said for other characters like Superman, but it's much more common to see variations on the Bat-suit than it is to see in Superman's. Perhaps this is because of all the creative freedom that having Bruce be a billionaire with nearly unlimited resources provides; or perhaps it's Bruce's greatest trait -- his intelligence and ingenuity -- that allows creators to feel free enough to continually change the costume and tech that he employs. Whatever the case may be, we've seen a ton of variation through the years, and undoubtedly, we as fans have our favorites. 

Many people cite the leaner Batman from the Neil Adams era as their favorite look, and it's certainly iconic. This tall, lean, detailed depiction is the one most often emblazoned on t-shirts and other merchandise. On the opposite side of things, we  have Frank Miller's iteration of the Dark Knight, seen in the beloved The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Miller's stylized art is perfect for the types of stories he so often tells, but it's a bit too disproportioned for my liking.  

I do prefer Batman to be hulking and imposing, much more so than Adams' style, but not quite as cartoonishly exaggerated a la Miller. In general I have sort of a pet peeve against heroes being portrayed as overly ripped with striated muscles, but even more so with Batman. I can suspend my belief a bit when I see super strong heroes drawn by the likes of Finch, Lee, or Turner, but Bruce is but a man, and no ordinary man could have such a musculature that he'd look the way some artist draw him when he's in costume... Unless the costume was painted on... But it's not. 

The costume is made of fabric of some sort, which would obscure most of the anatomical details that some artists choose to depict. I prefer it look like it was fashioned from a kevlar type of material. That means it should be a little on the thicker side; after all, it's supposed to defend Batman from knives and bullets -- simple spandex just isn't going to do that. Also, I might be nit-picking here, but I think the costume should have visible seams or piping of some sort and it's that kind of attention to minute details that I appreciate in some Bat-artists. 

When one thinks about the Bat-suit, the question of color is nearly unavoidable. Blue or black cape and cowl? Grey body suit or all black? Yellow ovular symbol or solid black bat? I prefer the standard grey and black coloring, with the basic black bat and large gauntlets and boots.

Upcoming Batman artist, and one of my personal favorite pencillers of all time, Greg Capullo, describes his vision for the Bat in a way that's totally, 100% in sync with my own: 

For me, it needs to be a Batman I would be afraid of. I want him to be big and imposing so he gives the impression that if he hit you, you'd feel like you got hit by a truck; like if he rammed you with his body, it's a slab of meat pounding into you. But I also want him to appear sharp, as if to cut you. So the cape is very sharp and he's got the blades on his gauntlets and he's got the pointy ears. But I smooth him out... I don't have the shredded, razor-sharp abdominal muscles on mine. He's more of a slab who'd be hitting you. That's my interpretation of Batman and sort of where I'm going with it: a big, monolithic, imposing, character who can just plow you over and cut you to ribbons.

Reading this interview with Greg really got me thinking about how we as fans envision the characters that we love so much. I read this thinking how perfect Capullo's description of the Dark Knight sounded to me and also how personal this art is for everyone, artists and fans alike. I know for a fact that there are people who are just not going to love the way Capullo draws Batman, and that's cool, because it's all a matter of opinion and personal connection. 

I think it's these types of things that make the comics, the universes, the characters, so enthralling and so entrenching -- there's inherent personal connections to these fictions that we as fans have and I think that's the driving force behind all the passion.

Credit for the quote goes to this awesome CBR interview.
    ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ahgunsillyo

I personally like a leaner, acrobatic Batman, but he should still be big enough to look like he can and will break you into pieces.  The problem I have with the overly bulky renditions of Batman is that I can't really imagine hulking brutes agilely flipping over enemies and leaping off rooftops.  That's just me, though. 

I agree that his costume should be of a thick, armored fabric with visible seams and piping, though not necessarily armor plating like what The Dark Knight movie costume has or the new Jim Lee redesign appears to have.   It has to be thick enough to protect him, but light enough to not restrict movement because, again, he needs be able to flip around like a gymnast.  As for the coloring, I prefer the gray and black scheme, as the black makes more sense in order to blend in with the shadows.  I'm fine with either the yellow oval emblem or the standard black bat, though I have to admit that I thought the glowing oval on the "Batman, Inc." was pretty neat and am slightly disappointed that it didn't get carried over into the redesign.  Also, I've always been fine with the trunks. 

I'm excited for Capullo's take on Batman, and I'll be picking up that series when September rolls around.  However, while I like how he draws Batman (even if he is leaning toward the bulky side), I'm a little more apprehensive toward his takes on some of the other characters.  His Joker looks a little weird to me, and I think that question mark mohawk on The Riddler looks pretty stupid.  I'm a big fan of the John Glover suit-and-bowler version of The Riddler from The Animated Series, so I tend to prefer a more sophisticated version of that character.  Capullo still seems to have retained that "edgy," 90s Image style from his Spawn days, and while I'm personally not a big fan of that style of comic book artwork, I'm still looking forward to reading Snyder and Capullo's new series. 

Seriously, that mohawk is just so dopey!
    Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Blurred View

I've never been a big fan of the Neal Adams lean and acrobatic Batman. I prefer Batman to have some weight to him. Not hulking but broad shouldered and powerful. You can probably blame Batman: tAS for that.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sj_esposito
    @ahgunsillyo:  The problem that I have with a leaner, acrobatic Batman is that I don't think of him as an acrobat. Sure, he swings, glides and climbs across rooftops, but to me, he's not a limber gymnast. I always invision Bruce moving in a manner similar to the way he does in Arkham Asylum as opposed to flying and flipping around all over the place. Dick, however, is another story. 

I hate Riddler's new look also, but I'm not sure that it's Capullo's design -- it's more likely Jim Lee's or Scott Snyder's idea. I know Snyder is making a concerted effort to keep Batman's rogues grounded in some semblance of reality; how that translates into a ridiculous mohawk I'm not sure. Riddler is the only redesign of the villains that I don't like though. I think Joker looks great and genuinely creepy without departing too much from the classic look. 

It's interesting that you brought up the trunks. I was always fine with them, and when I heard that he'd be losing them, I thought it was going to be like a huge deal, but now, I don't even notice they're gone. 

@Blurred View: I think it's interesting that you brought up TAS influencing your preference. It's very likely that people from certain generations prefer certain depictions that were more common during their growing up with the character.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cattlebattle
    @sEsposito7 said:

@Blurred View: I think it's interesting that you brought up TAS influencing your preference. It's very likely that people from certain generations prefer certain depictions that were more common during their growing up with the character.
    LOL. before I eve read your posts I was thinking of how I always envision animated Batman. Though lately I like the way he is rendered in the Animated films, Not too big, But definitely a big upper body and his body gets leaner and sleaker as it goes down
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I think Earth one is a good depiction of how I see Batman, big but still lean and I always liked the colour around the bat it just gives the symbol more weight imo. 
    How do you guys like Batman characterised? I like my Batman really dark and brutal, doing things like sticking guys heads down toilets and electrocuting them with cables, dropping them off buildings and braking limbs. He shouldn't be a talker more of scary silent type. Gruff logical and cold.

No Caption Provided
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

I usually imagine him like this.

No Caption Provided
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @spiderbat87: I agree, it's fit, but it's not a stereoid-pumped mass of meat.

Also on the chracter, he should deffinitely play the silent angle more often, it suits him.
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sj_esposito
    @spiderbat87: Characterization is fun to talk about, because it's so subtle and just as diverse as the costume. I prefer Batman cold and totally logical. A cerebral, scientific detective type with an overt intellectual edge to him. When dealing with criminals, I like it best when he's depicted as being totally efficient. A guy as smart as Bruce would never waste time and never do anything without calculating an elaborate plan and its repercussions. I do like to think that he'd be willing to do anything at all to further his own ends, so yes, I too like a more brutal Batman, but the brutality to me is just another means to his end. 

How about fighting style? I know a lot of people like to believe that Bruce is a master of virtually all martial arts or something ridiculous like that, but I never saw that being very likely and don't like it. In reality, he's can be one of the best hand to hand combatants in the world without knowing every martial art. I prefer to think of his fighting style as playing to his strengths and using his size and speed to overwhelm opponents. I see him as a man of many joint locks and take downs, but also someone who doesn't mind a fist fight. He'd use his strength to throw power hits like knees, elbows and punches in an out and out fight, but could take down guys silently and skillfully inf necessary. 

To contrast, I picture Dick being hard to hit and very fast and flittery -- like Ali. And if Dick's style is more akin to Ali, then Bruce's, in my mind, would be more akin to Tyson's.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sEsposito7 said:
    @spiderbat87: Characterization is fun to talk about, because it's so subtle and just as diverse as the costume. I prefer Batman cold and totally logical. A cerebral, scientific detective type with an overt intellectual edge to him. When dealing with criminals, I like it best when he's depicted as being totally efficient. A guy as smart as Bruce would never waste time and never do anything without calculating an elaborate plan and its repercussions. I do like to think that he'd be willing to do anything at all to further his own ends, so yes, I too like a more brutal Batman, but the brutality to me is just another means to his end.  How about fighting style? I know a lot of people like to believe that Bruce is a master of virtually all martial arts or something ridiculous like that, but I never saw that being very likely and don't like it. In reality, he's can be one of the best hand to hand combatants in the world without knowing every martial art. I prefer to think of his fighting style as playing to his strengths and using his size and speed to overwhelm opponents. I see him as a man of many joint locks and take downs, but also someone who doesn't mind a fist fight. He'd use his strength to throw power hits like knees, elbows and punches in an out and out fight, but could take down guys silently and skillfully inf necessary.  To contrast, I picture Dick being hard to hit and very fast and flittery -- like Ali. And if Dick's style is more akin to Ali, then Bruce's, in my mind, would be more akin to Tyson's.
    I totally agree with your characterization, cold, brutal but totally logical. Yea that's a good way of showing the difference between Bruce and Dick.
    ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ahgunsillyo
    @sEsposito7: I agree that Batman should be logical and very cerebral, always planning and re-planning on the fly in order to find the best ways to get the jump on opponents while minimizing the chance of it going the other way around.  And I agree about him being very brutal and downright frightening toward criminals and villains, but not really toward his allies.  I'd like to think that there's still a significant amount of Bruce Wayne in Batman's fundamental being, and as such, he'd treat his friends and partners as people rather than merely tools.  He can be cold and harsh sometimes, but he wouldn't be lacking in compassion, kindness, or even his own sense of humor.

In terms of fighting style, I actually like the angle of Batman being at least very good at many martial arts styles, having traveled the world and training to his body and mind.  I don't think he would necessarily be a "master" of all those martial arts per se, but good enough that he would be able to incorporate all those styles into his own unique fighting style and change it up if necessary so as to limit his opponents' ability to read and predict his movements.  His fighting style would be incredibly fast and efficient, as he does not like to waste time or energy at all, and would utilize limb-breaking and other means of quickly incapacitating opponents.  In that regard, I think the Nolan films and the Arkham Asylum/City games have done a very good job at portraying Batman as a powerhouse in combat.  I was rather fascinated by the Keysi Fighting Method, the fighting style they used for Batman in the Nolan films, as it isn't very apparent just how brutal and efficient it is upon first glance.  If you haven't seen this behind-the-scenes clip from the Batman Begins DVD, it's worth a look.
    Going back to physical characterization, I think one of the reasons why I don't prefer a hulking Batman is that he needs to be very fast in all his movements, and I have a hard time seeing a giant muscular brute being able to be quite as fast.  I like him to exhibit a significant amount of muscle, but there needs to be a compromise between size and speed in order for it to be believable for me.  

@Blurred View@cattlebattle: I think Batman: The Animated Series is one of the most influential sources for how I characterize both Batman and his Rogues Gallery in my head.  They did an incredible job of fleshing out not only Batman, but the people and the world around him so that everyone was living and breathing characters that had depth and motive.   
    Aside from that, my mind's characterization of Batman was also shaped by Darwyn Cooke's Batman: Ego miniseries (later collected along with a few other Cooke Batman tales as Batman: Ego and Other Tails).  It shows what Batman would be without Bruce Wayne in the equation (sort of like the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh stuff from Grant Morrison's run, but not really), and Cooke makes a really good case for why Batman still needs to have the heart of Bruce Wayne at the end of the day.
    sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sj_esposito
    @ahgunsillyo: I suppose I should clarify a bit: 'hulking' probably wasn't a good adjective for me to use earlier on. I don't think of Batman as a brutish ogre; not at all. I do think of him as being big, broad-shouldered, and made up of solid muscle. Not like a Lou Ferrigno or a Schwartzenegger, though. They're not really 'practically' big; as you said, being 'roided out' is no use in a fight. Guys like Michael Jai White, Jason Statham and a slew of MMA fighters are good examples of how I think of Bruce's stature. 

With regard to his personality, I think this goes back to the very long debated question of Bruce or Batman being the dominant identity. I will always argue that Bruce is the mask and Batman is the real persona, and that's the way that I like it. I understand what you're saying about compassion and having a sense of humanity -- I agree, it's definitely there -- but I do think that Batman fights crime for his own complex and obsessive reasons. That is to say, if all the super villains in the world were eradicated tomorrow, Bruce would still be out breaking the faces of street criminals. I don't know if you could say the same for many heroes. I think that Batman exists not to save or protect the innocent, but to satisfy a psychological desire for vengeance in Bruce Wayne's mind. That's why I love Batman, because he is so, so flawed if you look at it from certain perspectives, and yet, he's also inherently stoic and a natural hero. It's vengeance that he seeks, and in that, somehow, he is a hero. That is, to me, one of the greatest aspects of the character. He's so complex and so layered; it's just fantastic. 

I was also intrigued by the Keysi Method, and I've done quite a bit of research into it. I think the forms look great on film and are probably very effective as well. I think it's a good representation of how I view his fighting style in the comics as well.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By jrock85
    @sEsposito7
    Its not impossible for a guy with a huge muscular build to be quick and agile. Bo Jackson was 6' 1" and weighed well over 200 pounds in college but still ran a 4.12 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. Brock Lesnar is 6' 3" and weighs over 250 pounds but he pulled of some amazing acrobatic feats during his WWE days. That's how I envision Batman; physically superior in every way to the common man. In terms of his fighting style, I think of him as having mastered several and being familiar with many others. When it comes to his personality, I know a lot of people will argue that he only fights crime because of an obsessive compulsion, but I beg to differ. Sure there is a level of obsession, but I think he does genuinely like to help people, otherwise, Dick would have ended up in a foster home and Jason would have ended up in a juvenile detention center after he tried to steal the wheels of the Batmobile. Bruce has a heart of gold; he's just very selective about who he reveals it to.
    Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Samimista

When I was little before I read the comics I used to picture him as a dark silent protector of the world that only comes out at night when everything is silent yet deadly.

SlayerOFEVIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I envision Batman the way that Scott Snyder or Paul Dini would write him.

Personality: I imagine that Bruce Wayne would be incredibly charismatic, he'd have to be, no one would suspect him as Batman if he was. He could still be dumb, but he could also have charisma like Bill Clinton, which would explain his constant harem of women. As Batman, he's cold, logical, and virtually stoic. He has a very precise and efficient way of doing things and meeting his goal, he's not out to unleash carnage, but he'll still take pleasure in beating down a rapist. He wouldn't shy away from extreme violence, for example, if he's forced to, he'll water-board a thug, will break limbs, and even resort to shock therapy. He'd basically do everything short of killing you, which ironically, could be worse. Is it just me? Psychological warfare would be a must as well. In short, when operating as Batman, Bruce would be a very pragmatic individual. His real persona in my eyes, is not Bruce Wayne or Batman, but just Bruce the man. He'd act very much like a normal person would, though it'd be easy to tell that he's damaged. He'd be the perfect balance between the Batman and his public persona.

Fighting Style: Batman seems like a guy who would use Krav Maga. It'd take advantage of his own physical strength and allow him to decimate his enemies, plus he'd have access to various techniques from different martial arts as well. On top of that, he's a detective, he'd just spot weaknesses in his opponent's form anyhow.

Build: Like any other two hundred pound man, who's six two. Lean but strong. Physical features wise, I feel like Greg Capullo's design of Bruce is how I imagined he'd look in real life, since he's supposed to be a pretty boy anyway.

Costume: New 52's fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Capullo draws my Batman.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By DwightSpitz

No, I prefer Batman looking like Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) in his suit. I've always envisioned him with the Batsuit being some kinda (unrealistic) mix between leather & kevlar-armour, not quite like the Arkham series but not like TAS neither. If his suit is not gray I'm not gonna f*** with it. Its not quite the militaristic armor from Nolan but its definitely not a 100% circus-spandex suit.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@slayerofevil: I agree, in my eyes Krav Maga has always been Batman's #1 fighting style, it's the one that makes the most sense considering what situations he usually ends up in. Of course he has to know all martial arts, like he is supposed to, but Krav Maga is easily the techniques I see him use the most.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

I envision him as a dark, brooding and calculated. He always has a plan in his head and can change it on the fly. Hes the strong silent type and only talks it up when he has a reason to. As Bruce Wayne he's a ladies man, a brilliant business man and irresponsible. When Bruce is alone or with Alfred he act just like he would if he were in the cowl. He'd go to great lengths to make sure when you think of Bruce you won't ever make the connection to Batman or vice-versa. He not only pretends to be with super models he sleeps with them if he has too. He betters Gotham by day as well, like funding numerous charities and projects to better the city.

When he's fighting crime he's very brutal. Like Chris Nolan said "if you can knock out someone behind you why not just do it" In a fight he wont shy away from breaking a few bones, he'd beat you senseless but he wont kill you. He can intimidate even the hardest thug. He can practically read a persons mind through body language and other deductive skills. He gives crime no second chance unless in his mind hes certain you can change (like in the new Batman Adventures "Old Wounds"). Hes a master of numerous martial arts but only uses the ones that prove most efficient to the opponent hes fighting. Hes also a brilliant genius that can compete with the best of them (Luthor, Mr Terrific, and Superman). When I think of his genius I think of Grant Morrison's Batman.

New 52 Jim Lee is actually the perfect appearance of Batman to me. He has the perfect light armored look. Its bullet proof (Based on New 52 feats) yet he can move around as freely as if he were in a track suit. Perfect example of the Wayne genius I envision. If only Lee was as good as his Hush days.

This is pretty much the Batman I see every time I pick up a comic that's not written by Johns. Lol

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Really Batmany.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

@joygirl said:

Really Batmany.

But more broody.

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kumquatodor

With Batman's personality, it all comes down to his philosophy that no amount of life is more valuable than any other amount of life. He will not kill to save lives, and he will not choose between lives. If you give him a sadistic choice, he will either save everyone or will fail.

He may maim, he may torture, he may terrify, but he will never stop people from living their life. He will not fail to pay for any help criminals need. He knows how much each criminal can take and he won't go further. He believes that anyone can change, and so he doesn't keep them from changing.

He is calm, collected, and very stoic. The Joker is the only one who can get him to drop this act, which leads me to my next point:

The Joker is Batman's only friend. Batman is in denial about it, and he hates that hundreds die, but he kind of sickly enjoys their playtime. He enjoys it that he doesn't know if he'll kill the Joker. He enjoys the uncertainty. He enjoys the feeling of insanity.

Furthermore, the Batman is so very tempted to give in. I interpenetrate the Killing Joke's ending as Batman giving insanity a brief try. He loved it, but he can't bring himself to stay crazy past those few seconds. He knows that, either through obsession or will, he can't bring himself to break his code, and he feels terrible. He feels like he's failed Jason and Barbra and so many others that died. He knows that if he just goes insane, it will be over.

But he can't. The way I see it, when his parents died, Batman realized what the Joker did: life is meaningless, people die randomly, and there is no meaning. However, instead of seeing it as funny, he took it as a challenge, as if life said "I took your parents. Whatcha gonna do about it?" Batman just will not (cannot?) let that go.

I said earlier that Joker is Batman's only friend. Alfred is Bruce's. He helps Bruce stay on the sane side. He helps keep the balance.

On fighting style:

Think Yuri Boyka's strength and Bruce Lee's speed. To quote Batman Begins's special feature, "I want him to run through them like a raging bull." Batman is a genius, always doing Sherlock Holmes level evaluation. However, this is instinctual. He does this during fights. Unless fighting higher level enemies, he will fight on the fly, noticing weakness and strength. In a fight, he KNOWS what you are gonna do. It's like he's on auto-pilot.

He often uses groups to cover him. You can't get an inkling on where he is. You see SOMETHING in the crowd, but he is moving through them so fast, he could be anywhere by the time you get over to him!

On physique:

I prefer my Batman to be like a slightly larger Earth One Batman; big, muscular, but maneuverable.

On Costume:

I like a armor look. Somewhere between Arkham City and the Dark Knight. Black utility belt. Retractable blades. Very dark grey suit.

It should be almost like you can't tell where the suit ends and the cape begins. Like shadow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.