Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How do the different stories of Batman intertwine in new 52?

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bio595

I only recently got into comics through Comixology and thought that the #1 issues of new 52 would be an okay place to jump in.

I've started reading:

• Batman
    • Batman and Robin
    • Nightwing
    • Detective Comics
    • Batgirl
    • Catwoman
    • Justice League

I'm liking them all, its all fantastic.

My questions:

• Do all the stories take place concurrently?
    • Or should I view them as separate stories that all take place in their own time period?
    • Should I worry about key story elements happening in other comics that I'm, not reading?

How is this sort of thing generally handled?

Cheers!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By entropy_aegis

@bio595:

batstories have'nt interwined since War Games,that moronic story destoyed the entire concept of batcrossovers.Prior to that we had Knightfall,Legacy,No Mans Land,Fugitive etc.The whole 90's period was interconnected,this could also be because Chuck Dixon was the most dominant authority.He wrote Nightwing,Detective,Catwoman,Robin and Birds of Prey (3 of these books were launched by Dixon himself).

In recent times we've had Roadhome(mediocre),Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul(editorial mandated) and RIP which tied in with the rest of the batbooks in name only.

You don't have to worry about the other books,it won't matter and when it does then DC and writers themselves will give you the hint.

truespark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By truespark

@bio595: Hey! I also just recently got into comics and I've also been reading a lot of the New 52 Batbooks. Most of the stories take place around the same time. I kind of see them as happening in the "vague present," meaning that while the events of, say, Batman and Robin thus far may not occur during the events of Batman, the precise order doesn't really matter. So far the stories seem to stand on their own.

Right now Justice League and Detective Comics both take place in the past though. So there's that!

@entropy_aegis said:

@bio595:

You don't have to worry about the other books,it won't matter and when it does then DC and writers themselves will give you the hint.

I've noticed in my limited comic ventures that this is pretty reliably the case. When creative teams feel you should read another series to get the whole story they will say "Go read Such and Such!" Even then it's often not that important anyways! I've been learning this the hard way, but I'd have to say it's good advice to just read what you want to read. Don't let those sneaky tie-ins force you into something lame!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.