How do I get started with Knightfall?

#1 Posted by dvader (18 posts) - - Show Bio

In prep for the Dark Knight Rises, I hope to purchase and read through the Knightfall story arcs. I know there is a chance the movie may have nothing do with the comic, but I want to read it because of the critical acclaim it has received and the value it has in the Batman history.

Anyway, unlike the Long Halloween, the Black Mirror, and other Batman stories, Knightfall seems to be available in three parts (Broken Bat, Who Rules the Night, and KnightsEnd). I thought the entire story arc was contained in one book, but instead it looks like I have to get all 3 parts. That is one long story arc because each book has, on average, close to 290 pages.

To make thing even more complicated, I see that DC released Knightfall volumes 1, 2, and eventually they will release volume 3. These appear to have more stories than the previous collected editions, but I am not more confused. Which collected editions should I get to read the Knightfall story arc, the one people rave about as one of the best Batman stories?

Thanks

#2 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Get the recently published Knightfall Volume 1. It has the parts where Batman fights Bane and then Azrael fights Bane. Plus, it has Bane's origin story in it (it's Parts 1 and 2 combined with the Vengeance of Bane issue added to it). Volumes 2 and 3 aren't so much about Bane, but just aftermath stuff dealing with Azrael and Batman. Volume 1 is only like $16 on Amazon. I'd pick it up if I didn't already own Parts 1 and 2 and the Batman vs Bane TPB.

It's a good story, but don't get your hopes too high. I don't want you to get disappointed if it doesn't meet your expectations lol

#3 Posted by dvader (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@JSH92 said:

It's a good story, but don't get your hopes too high. I don't want you to get disappointed if it doesn't meet your expectations lol

Thanks. I'll do that, but after reading that last sentence, I'm wondering if you were trying to imply to me that it was a good, but not great story. I am deciding between this and Arkham Asylum. Between the two, what would you say is a better written story?

#4 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@dvader: Both are good stories with incredibly different styles. If you enjoy the mind-bending tales of Morrison, then you should love Asylum. However, Knightfall is an essential story in Batman's tenure, and though it is dated with some overly 90s themes, it still brings a lot of satisfaction to the reader.

#5 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@dvader said:

@JSH92 said:

Thanks. I'll do that, but after reading that last sentence, I'm wondering if you were trying to imply to me that it was a good, but not great story. I am deciding between this and Arkham Asylum. Between the two, what would you say is a better written story?

To be honest, I felt that the first part of Knightfall got a bit repetitive, but I loved the story. Bane is also my favorite Batman villain, so that helped a lot too. I'm sure you'd like it. Now, about the latter half of your comment, I actually can't answer you. I haven't read Arkham Asylum. Sorry.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.