How come Batman's always second?

#1 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it that Superman is always in front of Batman when they are in a picture together? Like in the trinity, or the Justice League? Batman always seems to be second to Superman. Is that just because Superman is DC's traditional main character? Is it because he actually has superpowers? Is Batman too abnormal looking to be at the front of everything? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Batman makes more money for DC than Superman. He's the strategist--and self-promoted leader--of the Justice League. How come he isn't in the front?

If this is in the wrong thread mods, you can delete it and I'll post it elsewhere.

#2 Edited by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

Two things:

1. As much as I like Batman, Superman deserves to be front and center. Not only is he DC's flagship character and one of the first, if not the first superhero in history, but he's also an important cultural icon, to the point he's even created certain slang words. Where do you think "brainiac" and "bizarro" come from?
  2. Currently, I see Batman in the center a lot more. For example:

#3 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Because thats what Batman does if things go wrong get behind Superman then run and prep for the win, thats his plan, it's simple and smart. Come on, think about it, a normal human is gonna step in front of Superman while someone is shooting bullets, oh yeah that would be smart. When the situation gets thick,Batman will get little and duck out somewhere until he comes up with a plan.

#4 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

And besides, superman looks much more friendlier and colorful compared to batman who is pretty much a loner and almost all black costume.

#5 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Superman. He is a brighter symbol than Batman is. Besides, Batman gets to come first in Batman and Robin. It's only fair that he share some of the spotlight with Superman

#6 Posted by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Supes costume is better for a cover, its brighter and very iconic, more so than Bats.

2. Supes is always the leader/figurehead in teams (i.e. situations were we would need a pick with both of them together). He is the icon, after all. Leaders go in front.

3. Personality wise, Bats is far more likely to avoid a dynamic entry/flashing pose/etc, being the (k)night and all that. I like covers/poses to reflect personality, so I almost prefer Bats being further back, shaded and generally looking scary.

This does seem to be changing at the moment. We have more Bat books right now, and there is no hugely successful new Supes trilogy.

#7 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#8 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's the G.O.A.T.; the first and the grandest. Michael Jordan will be pictured in front of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, Ali in front of Tyson and Marciano,. Popularity is second in this case.

#9 Posted by MasterDetective (832 posts) - - Show Bio

"Is that just because Superman is DC's traditional main character?"

Yes.

#10 Posted by BatWatch (2723 posts) - - Show Bio

If you were Batman, wouldn't you want to send the bullet sponge out in front of you?

#11 Posted by Onemoreposter (4049 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta admit. I've always liked Wondy at front and center. Why not put the prettiest thing you have at the forefront?

#12 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

agree, woman in first :D!

#13 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

They let Wonder Woman ahead of them to check out dat ass!

#14 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel said:

They lest Wonder Woman ahead of them to check out dat ass!

lol agree :D

#15 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN: Superman's going around now bragging about tapping dat ass. :D

#16 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

......just think of how Supes tapped dat ass :P huhuhuhuhu!@Supreme Marvel said:

@FatihBATMAN: Superman's going around now bragging about tapping dat ass. :D

#17 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superman's the face of the JL.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (19905 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman gets enough attention. Let Superman take some of the limelight for a change.

#19 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Man for me takes the cake on facetime in JL...

#20 Posted by cameron83 (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Batman gets enough attention. Let Superman take some of the limelight for a change.

this

#21 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

agree....Supes and Bats...staple in DC...

#22 Posted by cameron83 (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

although wonder woman wasn't really given much spotlight in the old universe.Besides being the giant legged woman with broad shoulders

#23 Posted by Zoch81 (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

#24 Edited by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Didnt it say somewhere that a Wonder Woman movie is in the making or am i completely wrong? :s

#25 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

Didnt it say somewhere that a Wonder Woman movie is in the making or am i completely wrong? :s

Supposedly but since it's Warner Bros. I'm not sure...

#26 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

oh..snap..DC and Warner Bros...right...

#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Yessir.

#28 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks wierd when batman is in front. It......just doesnt feel right

#29 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

It looks wierd when batman is in front. It......just doesnt feel right

I know what you mean...lol...but maybe its just the fanboy in me that wants him infront

#30 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah I like Superman up front. it makes sense. I mean Batman does like using people as distractions. right? and who is everyone going to be shooting at. The big blue boyscout with the red cape. Or the stealthy caped crusader?

#31 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

Why is it that Superman is always in front of Batman when they are in a picture together?

Cause thats where he wants to be (I know there are some images of him in the front but meh lol). Typically Batman is a ninja styled superhero, and as such, he doesnt want to be the first one through the door, or, out in front for the World to see. He comes in from an angle, from the shadows, from the back. Superman is all broad shoulders and durability. The "standard" that lets everyone know its gonna be okay. Batman is the dude who while everyone is looking at Superman goes in through the roof and gets to the bottom of sh!t.

#32 Posted by TheCannon (18717 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

Where's this pic from?

#33 Edited by Onemoreposter (4049 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Where's this pic from?

New Smarphone and IPad videogame. I hear it's actually decent if you're into arcade style beat'um ups.

#34 Posted by TheCannon (18717 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@TheCannon said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Where's this pic from?

New Smarphone and IPad videogame. I hear it's actually decent if you're into arcade style beat'um ups.

Okay. Thanks.

#35 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

is it out !?

#36 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont see any problem with superman being up front

#37 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

and bats in second :P

#38 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the statement is true-Batman isn't always second. The reasons Superman may be placed first is because he has a much more colourful costume, he's DC's icon and one of the first heroes, and he often takes a leadership role. The hero who should be in front should be decided by who's leading the group, and who's comic its in. DC want their staple superhero, Superman, to represent DC and to be seen first.

#39 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

but batman has taken the leader role of JL or am i wrong? hes like the "unofficial" leader?

#40 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Correct, I believe Batman is the current leader of the Justice League-but often Superman can often take a leadership role in general, like Marvel's Captain America.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.