Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How are you supposed to get into Batmn comics?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

After playing Arkham Asylum and looking forward to buying Arkham City soon, I really enjoyed the story, reading the character bios and listening to the interview tapes. I have a few questions -

Are the comics as dark as the game?

How are you supposed to go about getting into the comics if you want to start reading them? There are probably hundreds if not thousands of comics so how are you supposed to catch up?

Thanks.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By MrUnknown

@NekuSakuraba: There is no such thing as catching up. Just buy and read whatever catches your interest. That usually works but if you really feel lost in some book then you already know the place to ask.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula

Comicvine, has a great short wrap up of batman's history.

And as for where to start, DC recently started the new 52, which is an easy jumping on point for beginners. Although I personally don't care for the current story arc involving the "Court of Owls" it is an easy place to climb aboard the Bat-Train.

but if you want quality stories and not neccessarily the most recent ones here is a great list of issues that can be found in trades or graphic novels.

Year One

The Dark Knight Returns

The Long Halloween

Hush

Heart of Hush

Battle for the Cowl

The Dark Knight Strikes Again (controversial, a lot of mixed opinions on this one, but I like it)

All Star Batman and Robin

Knightfall (with Dark Knight Rises, coming up this would be a great read for you)

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

@NekuSakuraba:

there are only 4 issues of Batman to catch up on and the current series is a good jumping on point

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cosmo111687

@NekuSakuraba: That's tough to say. I suggest picking up some of the more major trades such as:

Batman: Year One

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

and

Hush

They're really simple and accessible and they'll give you a good sense of the Batman universe if you're going in with just a basic understanding of his world.

Or just pick up the four issues of his ongoing series. So far it's really good and it's made to be really accessible to new readers. :)

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis

Just start with the new Batman ongoing,you can also try out Batman and Robin.Both are excellent,if you want proper introduction to the Batworld then pick up Hush(I think it's a weak story with no substance,but it's very entertaining with great art and lots of characters).

Typhenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Typhenstein

@Caligula said:

Comicvine, has a great short wrap up of batman's history.

And as for where to start, DC recently started the new 52, which is an easy jumping on point for beginners. Although I personally don't care for the current story arc involving the "Court of Owls" it is an easy place to climb aboard the Bat-Train.

but if you want quality stories and not neccessarily the most recent ones here is a great list of issues that can be found in trades or graphic novels.

Year One

The Dark Knight Returns

The Long Halloween

Hush

Heart of Hush

Battle for the Cowl

The Dark Knight Strikes Again (controversial, a lot of mixed opinions on this one, but I like it)

All Star Batman and Robin

Knightfall (with Dark Knight Rises, coming up this would be a great read for you)

great list of comics to read without a doubt!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

The current Batman series by Scott Snyder is very much on par with stories like Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. I'd recommend starting from issue one or waiting for the trade of the first arc, the first issue makes for a really great jumping on point as long as you know a little about Batman's history like how many Robin's their have been (which you could easily read up on here on ComicVine).

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Omega-Man

@NekuSakuraba:

Even though some of these recommendations are descent, I'd say buy the new 52 Batman why? they are new story arcs and new villains. Plus theres only 4 issues of it currently (Unless you buy both Batman comics, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin comics and Batman The Dark Knight Comics) till the next issue is released. If you don't have a comic shop near you buy them on DCcomics.com and read them digitally.

Though a word of warning about Detective comics if you are going to buy the new series, they are pretty gory compared to the others (Detective Comics are way more darker than Arkham city or Arkham Asylum hence why I said they are pretty gory).

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercy_

In addition to all the recommendations being thrown down, there is an Arkham City comic.

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Omega-Man

@Caligula: @TypH:

All Star Batman and Robin? are you joking? Only thing good about that series is that it makes fun of Batman, and the art is good but even great art can't save that series.

And as for The Dark Knight Strikes again dude you must have a very good head on your shoulders that comic gave me a headache I didn't have a clue what it was talking about and still don't.

The other picks are good but iffy on battle for the Cowl as it doesn't have Batman in it it's Nightwing and Robin and Jason Todd staring in that series.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
    @Omega-Man said:

All Star Batman and Robin? are you joking? Only thing good about that series is that it makes fun of Batman, and the art is good but even great art can't save that series.

And as for The Dark Knight Strikes again dude you must have a very good head on your shoulders that comic gave me a headache I didn't have a clue what it was talking about and still don't.

The other picks are good but iffy on battle for the Cowl as it doesn't have Batman in it it's Nightwing and Robin and Jason Todd staring in that series.

the only bad thing about All Star is that it never got finished because Miller went insane.

DKSA like I said is controversial. but I can explain the plot too you if you want in a PM. I'll be more than glad, it's pretty good (to some people, to others is propaganda trash against the government)

Battle for the Cowl is still great. It's still about Batman, it's about who will be the next Batman.
    Typhenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Typhenstein

@Omega-Man said:

Caligula, pretty much summed it all up in the post above me so haha

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Omega-Man

@Caligula: Well with batgirl screaming she's the #%&*ing Batgirl. and Bruce laughing like a manic and telling Dick Grayson to eat rats. Oh and lets not forget about Black Canary who has secret ninja powers. And the internet mean "What are you dense? Are you Retarded or something? ...blah blah blah" I own it in hard cover but for a new reader I wouldn't recommend it. Hell I never called batman "Batman" in that story ever since I saw a review of it by Linkara I refer to him as Crazy Steve like he does lol. I recommend it if you want to have a laugh but for a good story? nah.

If you don't mind I wouldn't mind that I still scratch my head at it. Plus the naked chicks giving the news was just weird.

I don't condemn Battle for the cowl but it's not for a first time reader, The guy wouldn't know what was going on or why Bruce was dead or how he was dead. He'd have to read RIP and Final Crisis to know all that. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone to read Final Crisis. Man that series was a mess.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Caligula
    @Omega-Man said:

@Caligula: Well with batgirl screaming she's the #%&*ing Batgirl. and Bruce laughing like a manic and telling Dick Grayson to eat rats. Oh and lets not forget about Black Canary who has secret ninja powers. And the internet mean "What are you dense? Are you Retarded or something? ...blah blah blah" I own it in hard cover but for a new reader I wouldn't recommend it. Hell I never called batman "Batman" in that story ever since I saw a review of it by Linkara I refer to him as Crazy Steve like he does lol. I recommend it if you want to have a laugh but for a good story? nah.

Linkara, is funny, but he is wrong on a few occasions and All Star is one. he is just a dude, and his opinion is no more valid than mine or yours.

@Omega-Man said:

If you don't mind I wouldn't mind that I still scratch my head at it. Plus the naked chicks giving the news was just weird.

I'll send you a PM in a couple minutes.

@Omega-Man said:

I don't condemn Battle for the cowl but it's not for a first time reader, The guy wouldn't know what was going on or why Bruce was dead or how he was dead. He'd have to read RIP and Final Crisis to know all that. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone to read Final Crisis. Man that series was a mess.

did you read the part where I told him to read up on his history via comicvine. that's one of only many great things here.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Omega-Man said:

Is that a spoiler? D:

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Omega-Man

@NekuSakuraba:

Not really just saying that you really shouldn't read Final Crisis it's an ugly mess of a series.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By thechessclub

@cosmo111687 said:

@NekuSakuraba: That's tough to say. I suggest picking up some of the more major trades such as:

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

and

Hush

They're really simple and accessible and they'll give you a good sense of the Batman universe if you're going in with just a basic understanding of his world.

Or just pick up the four issues of his ongoing series. So far it's really good and it's made to be really accessible to new readers. :)

This is the perfect post. I approve=]

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Start with the New 52.All other arcs are seemingly irrelevant now.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By entropy_aegis

@The Dark Huntress said:

In addition to all the recommendations being thrown down, there is an Arkham City comic.

NOOOOOOOOO.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mercy_

@entropy_aegis: O_o why?

@Vance Astro said:

That's true and good advice for a newbie, but it also doesn't mean that they're not worth reading. There are some incredible stories and whether they are or are not canon shouldn't dissuade people from reading them.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By entropy_aegis

@The Dark Huntress said:

@entropy_aegis: O_o why?

@Vance Astro said:

That's true and good advice for a newbie, but it also doesn't mean that they're not worth reading. There are some incredible stories and whether they are or are not canon shouldn't dissuade people from reading them.

It might be enjoyable the same way as Hush but I really doubt if it has a credible story.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By RainEffect
    @NekuSakuraba: My personal recommendations are The Long Halloween, and Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul. The Long Halloween really grips the relationship between Gordon, Batman and Gotham City as it details how they fight crime and refuse to cross lines (it also chronicles the birth of Two-Face). If you're going to get Arkham City (which I HIGHLY recommend), I advise you get the Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul as it details Ra's al Ghul and Talia al Ghul, both of whom are major characters in the video game. Of course, you might not know what is going on during this story as it has quite a bit of backdrop to it, but it is an amazing read nonetheless. 

But yeah, The Long Halloween is dark, gritty and beautifully written.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Omega-Man : I mean about Bruce.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Daveyo520

I am late to the party but Batman: Year One isn't a bad place to start.Also be Batman.

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Omega-Man

@NekuSakuraba:

What him dying? not really a spoiler. I never said how he died. But it's obvious if you read on Comicvine and know about Dick being Batman and Damian being Robin.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By John Valentine

Got to your LCS, find a few Batman graphic novels, start ripping pages from them, still in store, and eat them.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Thought it would be better to bump this rather than make a new topic. Which of the 52 series are worth reading? Detective? Robin? Dark Knight? Thanks.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Durakken

I would suggest if you haven't read comics in a while, start with the 52 stuff, simply because they are an abomination for the most part and the more you have read and understood the past comics the more you hate them...

But if you want to read GOOD comics.

Robin: Year One/Batman: Year Three

Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: A Death in the Family

Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying

Robin I

Robin II

Robin III

Batman: Knight Saga

Robin series (look in the Tim Drake section for my half finished guide to reading Tim Drake stuffs)

Batman: Contagion

Batman: Cataclysm

Batman: aftershock

Batman: No Man's Land (all of it if you can get your hands on it)

Batman: Officer Down

Batman: War Games

Bruce Wayne: Murderer?

Bruce Wayne: Fugitive

Batman: HUSH

Batman: Under the Hood

Batman: RIP

Batman: Heart of HUSH

Batman: Battle for the Cowl

Bruce Wayne: The Road Home / Red Robin series / Batman & Robin series

there are a few i would add if i could remember their names but that's pretty much everything

TERMINATOR1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TERMINATOR1000

I guess read up on the most current version of batman.

Werupenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Werupenstein
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I'm going to read the new 52 Batman as I mentioned before, but which other ones are worth reading as well? Also, does the justice league comic talk about batmans ways to defeat the justice league if someone took control of them?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By z3ro180

@NekuSakuraba: yes the comic are dark like the game but not as dark as you think. Also if you want to read the comic just jump in and start reading.

Altarbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Altarbo

@NekuSakuraba: Tower of Babel? Yes, it does that.

I understand if the comics seem convoluted. Before you read the comics they can look massive and labyrinthine. It helps if you realize that there is no bat-canon. There was never a Lee+Kirby run that set the base pattern for the character. Batman is a outsider art collage done by wonderful men who clearly disagree with each other.

I don't want to add to the (excellent) suggestions. Choice overload is a disorienting thing to see, that doesn't really clear up choice overload. I thought I might be helpful some publication history:

GOLDEN AGE:

The defining characteristic of the earliest comics was naivete. Bob Kane and Bill Finger hadn't really figured out what Batman was yet. Bob Kane initially drew Batman like a demon with block-print da Vinci wings. He drove around in a red sports car with his revolver and his silk rope beating the malarkey out of gangsters, dogs, mad scientists, and monsters.

You can't really find a graphic novel of this stuff, and the originals are impossibly expensive. If you want to check it out the BATMAN CHRONICLES. One of the more interesting early stories began in Detective Comics 31. It was this totally nutso story where batman tracked a “vampire” to his (quite beautiful) castle.

SILVER AGE:

In the early sixties Batman began doing very strange things. DC couldn't publish comics with guns, or too much murder, or realistic crime, or vampires; so stripped of his guns and convertible in a world without mobsters Batman traveled into space, moved through time, got a bat-dog, went into a trance, and fought the rainbow monster.

The silver age stuff is reprinted in BATMAN CHRONICLES and a few really out there stories are sold as The Black Casebook.

DARK AGE:

In the 70's Batman got darker, closer to what most people think of as Batman. Neil Adams and Steve Engelhart brought a lot of noir back into the character. In the eighties Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, and Alan Moore all took a swing at Gotham with a quite bloodied bat. It's also when Robin was killed off (A Death in the Family) based on a phone poll.

A lot of Neil Adams work was written as one shots, so you'll find it in collections of random comics, rather than large graphic novels. One notable exception is Batman: Tales of the Demon. This is his OG work on Ra's collected chronologically. The same goes for Steve. Strange Apparitions collected some of his better dark Joker stories. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns was amazing and really established the dark Batman. Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious earth was pretty crazy. It established the idea that Batman villains are personifications of our worst thoughts, and Batman is the “self” locking them up in Arkham (the subconscious) and it's sort of the inspiration for the game. Alan Moore's the Killing Joke defined the joker in the same way that Frank Miller defined Batman.

MODERN:

I don't know a better word for this era. With Miller, Moore, and Morrison in comics, Tim Burton on film, and Timm on the Batman animated series Batman was largely defined. Most of the recommendations you'll get are from the period after we knew who Batman was as a character. Hush, The Long Halloween, Hush, Court of Owls, Batman RIP, Knightfall, Tower of Babble, The Man Who Laughs, and Batman: Year One.

Many ideas are shared throughout them, but many aren't. If you want to check out Morrison's Batman start with The Black Glove or The Resurrection of Ra's. If you want to start with Brubaker and Miller you can check out Year One. If Snyder's Batman is most interesting then check out Court of Owls, the New 52 Batman.

MANGA:

The manga was based off of the Adam West show, which was really popular in Japan. The Joker apparently was too odd even for them, so the guy who did Eight Man, wrote a manga that has no direct link to any of the American/British comics.

BLACK BAT:

A pulp character from the early days. He never appeared in a comic. Apparently his creators and Batman's creators accused each other infringement. They threatened to sue, but instead decided they'd all be better off if they just openly ripped off each other characters and got rich. It's a happier story than any of the Black Bat's stiffly written fictional ones.

Good luck,

Robert Jones

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By TDK_1997

You just read the most iconic Batman stories and then start with the current ongoing from the New 52.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.