Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Holy Crap, What Order is this Read in? (New Reader)

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Batmanrh23

So I have yet to read any of the New 52, and I'm really interested with the Batman stories, but the think is, how the hell am I supposed to read them? I mean you've got multiple series like Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman Eternal, ect. So my question is in what order should I read them to get maximum enjoyment of the story? I mean for each individual arc there is different versions, for example Death of the Family, which has the Joker volume, Batman Volume, AND the Batman and Robin Volume! Also, is the New 52 like a whole remake where nothing from the previous comics is true, because like the Joker is different, Hush is different in Batman Eternal, ect. Any help I can get with this is greatly appreciated

Avatar image for perchance2dream
    Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@batmanrh23: glad you asked! I hope I can be of some assistance! To answer your last question, no, the New 52 is not a "whole remake," but in theory, it *was* supposed to be a hard reboot. The official statement from DC is that anything that does not *directly contradict* the events of the New 52 is canon-- OR, in some cases where they do contradict new continuity, they're still canon, but the story may or may not have happened the way it was originally told. So what does this mean for you? It's actually pretty cool. It means that reading order has been enormously simplified (at least for the New 52). Basically, you can read all of the trades in the order of the volumes, starting with Batman Vol. 1 Court of Owls, followed by City of Owls, Death of the Family, Secret City, and now, Endgame. Snyder has many references/nods to other works, and/or uses other stories for background info, but he's done a very good job at making his stories self-contained. Same goes for Batman & Robin and Detective Comcis, for the most part. However, I recommend reading Grant Morrison's run and Batman Incorporated before jumping into Batman and Robin, if you truly want to get the whole story in all its gravitas. At the same time, I recommend a few required readings before starting the New 52 at all. (It's not a must though, it'll just make the new stories more enjoyable.) If you want to do that, just tell me and I can provide you with a list that I've made up for beginners. Also, have you watched much of Batman the Animated Series? If you have, then you'll already have a pretty strong grasp on a sizable chunk of the Batman mythos.

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Batmanrh23

@perchance2dream Hey, thanks for answering. Yes I have watched some of the animated series but not too much, but I feel that I do have a pretty decent grasp of it. I was going to read all of Grant Morrison's run but then the ending of Incorporated was spoiled for me, so I just read the whole summary of each of the books on here. One of my main questions is about arcs like Death in the Family. I've seen many different volumes for that arc in each individual series, and they all happen to be the third volume of the series. Death of the Family is the title of Batman Volume 3, Batman and Robin 3, Nightwing Volume 3, Batgirl Volume 3, A whole Joker volume, and even Red Hood and the Outlaws Volume 3. So for arcs like these, should I just get all of the volumes? Or are there parts in like the joker one that are also in the Batman one and stuff like that? Can I easily just read each and every volume in each series? There's so many series, off the top of m head I can thing of Batman, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood and The Outlaws, Death stroke, and Catwoman. Ugh, there's just so many that I have no idea how I'm supposed to read them! Also, I would really like to hear your list

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Perchance2Dream

@batmanrh23: Death of the Family (and every other New 52 Batman "event" crossover arc) is a story arc from the "Batman" title. The best way to read the actual "Death of the Family" story is just to read Batman Vol. 3. All of those other collections have their own arcs going on, but their collections are just called Death of the Family because it has those tie-ins (except for "The Joker" collection, but I'll get to that). The Joker: Death of the Family has almost all the tie-ins from every title, but it reads kind of wonky because it leaves other parts out. If you really want to get it, I'd just view it as supplementary reading. (Definitely do not check it out before Batman Vol. 3.) Hope that helps! :) also, if you're sure you want to start with the New 52, I'd recommend first reading-- in order:

1-Batman: Year One

2-The Man Who Laughs

3-The Killing Joke

Lastly, (unless you're confounded by continuity) I'd skip Eternal and just read the summaries before you buy Endgame.

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchance2dream: Alright, Well I'm reading Year One right now and I have The Man Who Laughs on my shelf for when I'm ready for it. Also I have two more questions about New 52: 1. Why should I skip Eternal and just read the summaries of it? From what I've seen it's collected in three long trade paper backs. 2. So I can read multiple New 52 series at the same time and not get too confused? Because to start off I was planning to buy both Batman Court of Owls and City of Owls as well as the first two volumes of Batman and Robin and then I could go from there as I read those two series at the same time, but would that effect it weirdly? Like I don't see how Batman can being doing something in Volume 3 of his series and then doing something else with Robin In Volume 3 of that series as a tie in to Death of the Family.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Perchance2Dream

@batmanrh23:

1. The trades are expensive, the art was hit or miss, as was the story, and I found the overall arc to be lackluster. (That's not to say there weren't some incredible moments! Alfred in particular really shined at times.) I read the floppies, but who knows? Maybe it's all more cohesive in the collected editions. Your call!

2. That is (mostly) correct. Usually the arcs take place at different times, but there is some overlap (I.e. with those tie-ins) I know Detective is all very seperate from the other books, while acknowledging the events of other books. As long as you read the same volume number at each time, you should be okay. The writers and editorial staff do a pretty decent job at making the trades as self-contained as possible, so as to make them more accessible. You can also check the sleeve/inside cover and see if your collection has an issue from another title, then decide which books you want to spoil. (I recommend going into Snyder's stuff blind, since he's the best bat-writer in the New 52 lineup imo.)

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchance2dream: 1. Alright, well I think eventually I'll buy the the three collected editions. Who knows, maybe I'll love it! Also, if you don't mind me asking, where does Eternal take place in the timeline?

2. Alright, so I guess I'll read Batman and Batman and Robin at the same time, and I'll make sure I'm reading the same Volume number for both series at the same time as well. What you said regarding going in blind for Snyder's stuff, could you tell me what titles he has worked on so I know which is which?

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanrh23:

1. The story picks up a few months after Death of the Family and just before Endgame. The second half of Eternal coincides with the events of Arkham Manor.

2. Snyder is relatively new to DC, so the only Batman title he's worked on in the New 52 is "Batman." And parts of Eternal. (since it was a weekly title, Eternal was created by an alternating team of writers and artists)

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchance2dream:

1. Alright So then Arkham Manor also happens right before Endgame?

2. Okay, well I was planning to read both Batman and Batman and Robin Volumes at the same time, so like Batman vol 1 first then Batman and Robin Vol 1 then Batman Vol 2 then Batman and Robin Vol 2...You get the idea. So would the story make sense if I did that? Sorry I'm asking so many questions I'm clueless, But you've been a fantastic help so far!

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SCOLTON97

Of all the Batman titles, the ones I'd recommend that you read every volume of are Batman, and Batman & Robin. Along with those, I'd recommend you read The Dark Knight Vol 2 (Cycle of Violence), along with Detective Comics Vol 6 (Icarus).

For Batman Eternal, I can't recommend it myself. While the actual plot was good enough, the constantly changing artists, who were nearly all terrible really dragged the book down into being just plain bad. And for three volumes, it isn't worth your money, and it isn't necessary reading (as with the quickly-cancelled Arkham Manor.

On a side note; Death of the Family takes place within/during volume 3 of the Batfamily-books which began at the New 52's beginning - crossing over with Batman, Batman & Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Teen Titans.

---

If you're interested in reading any of the extended Batfamily titles, I'd definitely recommend Nightwing, and Gail Simone's Batgirl run (about the first 5 volumes or so).

---

On your method of reading these books, as long as you read each individual series in their own order it's fine, ie, you don't have to read volume 1 of each, then move to volume 2 of each, and so on. It's up to you if you want to, and may help slightly in terms of continuity and a possible reference here and there, but it isn't entirely necessary. I hope this helped!

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97: Thank You, this really helped! I think I'm going to read ever Volume of Batman and Batman and Robin at the same time, but before I read Volume 7 of those two series I'll just read Icarus, Dark Knight Volume 2, and every volume of Batgirl and Nightwing, does that sound good enough?

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion it is usually the best strategy to read each series always separately up to the next big cross over event, then read the event and than read the series separately again.

Of all the Batman titles, the ones I'd recommend that you read every volume of are Batman, and Batman & Robin.

Batman and Robin I would only really recommend the first arc (Born to Kill). The Rest wasn't that great.

And stay away from Ann Nocentis Catwomen.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanrh23: You're thinking way too hard about this.

Comics are kind of unique in that they aren't as linear as books. Reading Vol. 3 of Batman while reading Vol. 3 of Batman and Robin will not change your perspective or mess with the reading at all. The books, for the most part, work during times independent of each other.

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: Alright, well then m plan is to just read Batman and Batman and Robin at the same time for now

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanrh23: No problem! One thing I should correct myself on, is that in terms of what way you read them, for each event/crossover (Death of the Family, for example), it would be better to have read each title up until that point - ie, for Death of the Family; read both titles' first two volumes before reading the third volume of either. I hope I explained that well enough.

That sounds good anyway! But be sure that for reading Batgirl, it's Gail Simone's run on the character and not the soft-reboot that happened a short time ago.

And something to take note of, Nightwing's title came to a close recently, following the events of Forever Evil - and has been replaced by a new book, titled Grayson. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but general consensus is that it's a great book.

---

If I was to recommend any necessary non-New 52 reading for getting into Batman, I'd definitely say to read The Killing Joke. It's regarded by many as being one of the best Batman graphic novels of all time, and for good reason. Also, it's become a core piece of backstory in regards to Batgirl/Oracle, probably her most defining moment.

Another one I'd recommend is Batman Hush, another book which fans regard as being an all-time great. And again, for good reason. And if you plan on reading Batman Eternal, this is probably necessary reading - regardless, for any Batman fan, I'd say it's necessary anyway.

Again, I hope this helped! And if you want any advice on jumping into the DC Universe outside of the Batman comics, and into the wider universe involving the giant events such as Trinity War and Forever Evil, just let me know! Justice League is definitely the starting point, if you're interested.

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97: Thanks so much for the help! I'll get into the Justice League stuff later on, and I just watched an online Motion Comic of The Killing Joke, so I'm good with that too. I'll also be getting Hush as well as Heart of Hush.

Taking into consideration of what you said about each big event/crossover in both Batman and Batman and Robin, I'll be reading it in this order:

New 52: Batman Volume 1, Batman and Robin Volume 1, Batman Volume 2, Batman and Robin Volume 2, Batman Volume 3, Batman and Robin Volume 3, Batman Eternal, Batman and Robin Volume 4, Batman and Robin Volume 5, Batman Volume 4, Batman Volume 5, Batman and Robin Volume 6, Batman Volume 6, All of Batgirl, All of Nightwing, Batman and Robin Volume 7, Batman Volume 7

So in your opinion, is that order good? Sorry for all of the questions, I just really want to be sure

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanrh23: That's all good, besides where you've placed Eternal - it takes place between volume 6 and 7 of Batman, and the other titles.

Then again, there's no need to be completely rigid in finding a method of the order you're reading this - if I were you I'd read volume 1 and 2 of Batman, then do the same with Batman & Robin. At that point you should read Death of the Family, as it's a crossover Batfamily event taking place in the third volume of each series. That event is the only time you really need to sync up your reading across titles - otherwise, you can be pretty loose in maintaining each series in line with eachother's timeframe.

Also, I think it'd be a good idea to spread out your reading of both Batgirl and Nightwing - it's up to you, but it might be a heavy load to read right through every volume instead of pacing it out.

---

So basically, if you want to keep a rigid outline of your reading order, here's the order I'd recommend;

• Batman, Vol 1 - 2
    • Batman & Robin, Vol 1 - 2
    • Batgirl, Vol 1 - 2
    • Nightwing, Vol 1 - 2
    • Death of the Family
    • Batman & Robin, Vol 4 - 7
    • Batman, Vol 4 - 6
    • Batgirl, Vol 4 - 5 (where the title ends)
    • Nightwing, Vol 4 - 5 (where the title ends)
    • Batman Eternal
    • Batman, Vol 7

Here's how I'd outline it - but then again, there's no need to be rigid with this as long as you have what's underlined in their place.

---

In regards to the extended DC universe, here's a few books I'd strongly recommend;

• Justice League
    • Green Lantern
    • Green Arrow, Vol 4 - 5 (the previous volumes are both unnecessary, and terrible)
    • Earth 2 (alternate earth where classic characters like Jay Garrick is the Flash, and Alan Scott is Green Lantern etc - and Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all died during Darkseid's invasion)

---

Hope this helped!

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97: Alright, the order you gave me of the books is what I'll read. Seeing how Death of The Family occurs in Volume 3 of every series, in what order should I read each Volume 3? Like should I read Batgirl Volume 3 Before Nightwing Volume 3, or read Batman Volume 3 before ever other Volume 3? Last question, I swear! Also, I'll look into the other books you recommended, thanks so much!

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanrh23: No problem at all, I'm happy to help!

For Death of the Family, how that crossover works is that each book has it's own plot which leads to a common final issue for them all - it shows each character's side of the story up until that big finale. Meaning that there's no absolute right way to read this. The one I'd recommend you read first however is Batman, and then read the rest in whatever order you please. In ways it's the 'main' part of the story, so it'd probably be best to read it first.

---

When Nightwing's title ends, this is roughly where Forever Evil begins. This is the first of the New 52's line-wide events, and I'd strongly advise that before reading it you read Justice League, along with Justice League of America's two volumes (the first ties into Trinity War, and the second being a tie-in to Forever Evil). The event takes place following volume 4 of Justice League, and happens in sync with volume 5. It's generally looked at as one of the best events DC has had in years, and is up for debate with Court of Owls as being the best storyline of the New 52. So it's definitely worth reading!

Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, sounds good. Thanks a lot!

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SCOLTON97
    Batmanrh23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have another question, although it's not really about any reading order or anything, but are the volumes of Earth 2 and Earth 2: World's End worth reading at all?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.