Help Me to Choose a Batman Graphic Novel

#1 Posted by Captain13 (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to buy one Batman graphic novel. Just one. But there's some rules that I want met.

1. It has to be a well written Batman story

2. No Robins

3. No crossovers

4. No superheroes other than Batman

5. No Catwoman

#2 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween is good. It may have a little bit of Catwoman, but she is not a large part in it

#3 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Year One would be another choice that fits.

#4 Posted by Captain13 (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: @fodigg:

Both good stories. I wonder if there are any more...

#5 Posted by NewKid (358 posts) - - Show Bio

both year one and long halloween have catwoman in though... i'm trying but i can't think of one that has everything you're asking for...

perhaps maybe the man who laughs? which is quite good, but not one of my faves.

#6 Posted by Jolt92 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder

#7 Posted by NewKid (358 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jolt92 said:

All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder

lollll

#8 Posted by noj (1061 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: A fairly recent one that is amazing is The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder. Only problem that you may have with it is that Dick Grayson is Batman in the book, but its the definitive Dick Grayson as Batman story. You may possibly see one of the robins for a couple of panels (I cant really remember) but the main focus is on Batman and Commisoner Gordon. Oracle is also there but she really isnt another superhero, so I think it still meets your criteria.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32232 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

@Captain13: A fairly recent one that is amazing is The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder. Only problem that you may have with it is that Dick Grayson is Batman in the book, but its the definitive Dick Grayson as Batman story. You may possibly see one of the robins for a couple of panels (I cant really remember) but the main focus is on Batman and Commisoner Gordon. Oracle is also there but she really isnt another superhero, so I think it still meets your criteria.

Tim Drake is in it.

#10 Posted by noj (1061 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: Oh and also Batman Gothic. I cant quite remember if it fits all your criteria off the top of my head, but its a great read

#11 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum fit the bill I believe.

#12 Posted by noj (1061 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: He may be in it for a bit, but he is far from the focus and is little more than a glorified cameo.

#13 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing Joke

The long Halloween

Batman Year One

With the second being rather enjoyable.

#14 Posted by Captain13 (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the responses, guys!

#15 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

Do the Batman: Black & White books have Robins in them?

#17 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

The Killing Joke is great. Batman: Under The Red Hood is really good as well, but only if you're okay with ex-Robins in the story.

#18 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though it violates assumption 5, I'd say go for 'The Long Halloween'

If not, just go for Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. <==though I do warn you, it's Grant Morrison.

#19 Posted by SpideySense (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.