Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Help I want to start reading Batman

Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spider-man 2996

Please help me I want to start to read Batman but I am not sure where to start. will I start when Bruce comes back or some of the old stuff. please help. 
    N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @spider-man 2996 said:
    " Please help me I want to start to read Batman but I am not sure where to start. will I start when Bruce comes back or some of the old stuff. please help.  "
    well, you better be prepared to buy a lot of titles then lol.  I think you'll be pretty much find reading Batman: RIP and then going current.  Things are tricky right now, because it's hard to gauge which books are going to be the main titles.  It seems that Batman, Batman and Robin, and Detective Comics will be about Dick, while Batman INC and Dark Knight will be about Bruce.  Batman and Robin has been the main title, so that's a must.  You should probably also get Batman INC simply because it represents such a vast change for Bruce's character( and Morrison, the quintessential Batman writer, is writing it). Personally, I don't read Detective Comics because I don't think it's that important to read.  To give you an idea, I'll be reading Batman INC, Batman and Robin, and Dark Knight.  I much prefer Bruce to Dick, so I don't think I'll be reading the Batman title.  There are also some really good Bat-Family titles.  Red Robin, Batgirl, and Birds of Prey are all superb and I recommend them all.  
    Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dark Walker

I read all the Batbooks, but unless you want to do a lot of catch up like N7_Normandy mentioned. I'd wait until Bruce returns for a jumping on point, the comics should be starting new arcs then after this lengthy "death" and resurrection of Bruce.  Grant Morrison is a good writer by omg there is so much woven into what he's been doing, you'd have to go back years to know whats all going on. 

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @Dark Walker said:
    " I read all the Batbooks, but unless you want to do a lot of catch up like N7_Normandy mentioned. I'd wait until Bruce returns for a jumping on point, the comics should be starting new arcs then after this lengthy "death" and resurrection of Bruce.  Grant Morrison is a good writer by omg there is so much woven into what he's been doing, you'd have to go back years to know whats all going on.  "
    not with the new series though; he should be able to understand Morrison as he jumps onto Batman INC.  Do you read all of the Bat-Family books as well, like Birds of Prey, Red Robn, and Batgirl? 

Also, what have you thought about the Batman books lately?  Personally, the only stuff I've enjoyed is Morrison's work and the Bat-Family titles.  Everything else has been pretty mediocre in my opinion
    MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MuadDiab

if you're just beginning I recommend Year 1, the Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Hush (yes it'll be good to know all the characters) and move onto Grant Morrisson's run beginning with Batman and Son

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @MuadDiab said:
    " if you're just beginning I recommend Year 1, the Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Hush (yes it'll be good to know all the characters) and move onto Grant Morrisson's run beginning with Batman and Son "
    it's really hard to start that far back; he'll be shelling out a ton of cash.  It's best to just read RIP and then go current.  If he wants, he can pick up some older trades as he goes along, to give him more background.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By ReverseNegative

Batman and Son and Batman Hush are awesome. Look into them.

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Dark Walker
    @N7_Normandy said:
    Do you read all of the Bat-Family books as well, like Birds of Prey, Red Robn, and Batgirl?  Also, what have you thought about the Batman books lately?  Personally, the only stuff I've enjoyed is Morrison's work and the Bat-Family titles.  Everything else has been pretty mediocre in my opinion "
    Yep, and Azrael though its been out of the bat loop lately, which I really enjoyed the recent story arc.

I've been reading for years, and I've liked some of Grant Morrison's past work like when he reboot JLA.  I wasn't really too keen on this whole R.I.P thing, even more so when he was "killed" by Darkseid...and sent back through time.  That hasn't sat well with me, but that's because I really don't like all that stuff with Batman.  The Black Glove and Joker stuff was good, but to soil all that with Final Crisis, kind of cheapened it for me.  The Return of Bruce Wayne has been interesting but again not my bag of tea since now Bruce is leaving his mark throughout time.  The title I really enjoy the most is Red Robin, that's been one hell of a ride, what Tim did to Ra's was epic in my opinion.  He took on the Demon and didn't lose his head, lol.  I had a hard time getting into Batman and Robin, mostly has to do with the artwork which most of it has been distracting me from the story.  I've enjoyed Batgirl and Birds of Prey, the latter I wasn't into with the original run but I've gotten into it and like how its going so far. 
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By roadbuster
    @spider-man 2996 said:
    " Please help me I want to start to read Batman but I am not sure where to start. will I start when Bruce comes back or some of the old stuff. please help.  "
    What are your goals and your budget?  Is your emphasis getting into continuity so you can read an ongoing or is it to know classic Batman stories / history?  Or do you not care about continuity and just want great stories?  How familiar are you with Batman in general? 

With respect to budget, if you're after the classics, you ought to find most in either your local library or major bookstore branch (Barnes & Noble / Borders / Walden / etc)... and when you find keepers definitely buy them from your local comic book store (you can almost always haggle down trade prices, especially if buying in bulk) or discount online store. 

If you're goal is getting into current continuity that's a more narrow question and depends on how much time and money you're willing to spend.  However many of the recommendations in the thread above are solid in terms of paring down the titles.  If you're totally at a loss, check out the previews on the official DC website, pick an artist / writer / plot / character that you like and try it out.  Currently, I'm not buying any Batman titles (although I'm reading what my girlfriend's purchases) the only one that's sticking with me is Batman and Robin but even that's pretty esoteric (the Road Home books told a complete clear concise story even if mixed execution) relying on a lot of recently created or revived lore.  Like some are saying above, I'd probably wait for Bruce's formal return to start an on-going.
    Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11  Edited By spider-man 2996

@Mainline said:

" @spider-man 2996 said:
    What are your goals and your budget?  Is your emphasis getting into continuity so you can read an ongoing or is it to know classic Batman stories / history?  Or do you not care about continuity and just want great stories?  How familiar are you with Batman in general?  With respect to budget, if you're after the classics, you ought to find most in either your local library or major bookstore branch (Barnes & Noble / Borders / Walden / etc)... and when you find keepers definitely buy them from your local comic book store (you can almost always haggle down trade prices, especially if buying in bulk) or discount online store.  If you're goal is getting into current continuity that's a more narrow question and depends on how much time and money you're willing to spend.  However many of the recommendations in the thread above are solid in terms of paring down the titles.  If you're totally at a loss, check out the previews on the official DC website, pick an artist / writer / plot / character that you like and try it out.  Currently, I'm not buying any Batman titles (although I'm reading what my girlfriend's purchases) the only one that's sticking with me is Batman and Robin but even that's pretty esoteric (the Road Home books told a complete clear concise story even if mixed execution) relying on a lot of recently created or revived lore.  Like some are saying above, I'd probably wait for Bruce's formal return to start an on-going. "

I just want to get straight into the continuity. Should I read R.I.P and Batman and Robin from the start or should I start Batman and Robin when the new writer takes over ? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

You can get the entire Morrison run for a decent price if you buy from Books A Million online. They have special deals all the time and free shipping.
    OnlyWonderBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OnlyWonderBoy
    @N7_Normandy said:
    " @MuadDiab said:
    " if you're just beginning I recommend Year 1, the Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Hush (yes it'll be good to know all the characters) and move onto Grant Morrisson's run beginning with Batman and Son "
    it's really hard to start that far back; he'll be shelling out a ton of cash.  It's best to just read RIP and then go current.  If he wants, he can pick up some older trades as he goes along, to give him more background. "
    Or he could just barrow them from his public library if they have them. That's what I did.
    N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @onlywonderboy said:
    " @N7_Normandy said:
    " @MuadDiab said:
    it's really hard to start that far back; he'll be shelling out a ton of cash.  It's best to just read RIP and then go current.  If he wants, he can pick up some older trades as he goes along, to give him more background. "
    Or he could just barrow them from his public library if they have them. That's what I did. "
    your library has comics and graphic novels?  Mine certainly doesn't.
    OnlyWonderBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OnlyWonderBoy
    @N7_Normandy: Yep, guess it just depends on where you live. I live around Cleveland and they have a huge multi-library network so they have a large selection of everything. I was able to find pretty much any Batman trade paper back I wanted.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.