Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Has he ever truly beaten Superman ?

• 151 results
    kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kgb725

i need to know

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By Pokeysteve

Can you be more specific on "beaten"? He's definitely gotten the better of him here and there but I don't know about straight up BEATEN.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

No. Not in the sense you're thinking of.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

Not really.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By reignmaker

Dark Knight Returns, Hush, and Tower of Babel.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By tupiaz

@Reignmaker: Well Batman got help in Dark Knight returns with an krytptonite arrow from Green Arrow and in Hush Superman was holding back and Batman used his kryptonite ring. How did it happened in Tower in Babel.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By havoc1201

@tupiaz said:

@Reignmaker: Well Batman got help in Dark Knight returns with an krytptonite arrow from Green Arrow and in Hush Superman was holding back and Batman used his kryptonite ring. How did it happened in Tower in Babel.

in Tower of Babel Taila used Batmans case files he created to take down the justice league if he ever had to and they used a Kryponite rock that batman manufactured that pretty much made supermans skin turn clear and made the sun poison him if i remember correctly, also in Hush Batman counted on Superman being the Boy scout and saving Lois no matter what spell he was under.

rolldestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rolldestroyer

im not sure if it's canon but Batman stopped a berserk Superman in Superman: The Trust, story by Chip Kidd and Alex Ross:

I got this from the batman capability webstite, this website is amazing, it has batman's best feats, if someone would like to check it out here's the link:

http://batmanfeats.blogspot.com/

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Well Baman has made better movies and cartoons, not only that he also makes more money.

Since beaten could mean many thing in many ways.

I am sure he has done it, in some way and some how.

InnerAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By InnerAssassin

No. In official canon stories he never has and that is how it should be. Miller is always trying to make Batman great.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MuyJingo

He never has in a straight up fight without help, without superman holding back. I think he could though.

http://www.comicvine.com/batman/29-1699/why-it-is-completely-plausible-that-batman-can-beat-superman/92-665109/

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onemoreposter

@kgb725: I'm going to chalk this up as a win for Bruce

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
    deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't think so.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By selinaky

@rolldestroyer: That's an awesome scene, I really like the friendship between Batman and Superman.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#15  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Well there is the Dark Knight Returns. Kinda.

OhItsThatGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OhItsThatGuy

I've seen John Stewart and Kilowog hand Superman his ass before, Twas hilarious.

Avatar image for amazingscrewonhead
    AmazingScrewOnHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he beat him the dark knight returns, He was counting on superman holding back and he gave him the slip, Batman has the brains so therefore he wins every time

I wish Batman killed him.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Stronger

@Reignmaker said:

Dark Knight Returns, Hush, and Tower of Babel.

Apart from Dark Knight Returns,all this is wrong.

In Hush he just slowed him down until Catwoman kidnapped Lois to get him to his senses.

In Tower of Babel,his plan was used by someone else to beat him.

Batman has and never will beat Superman in 1 vs 1,simply because he isn't meant to.

Batman is created for something else.

ajnesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone can beat anyone in the DC Universe. That's what the truth is. Technological character can probably just teleport Superman to a red sun planet or to a kryptonite asteroid. Zatana or other magic users could probably just say a word and turn him in to a frog or mouse or something else puny. Hell we even see Poison Ivy control superman and bats snaps him out of it. The batman Superman fight is always about Batman being worried that Superman could turn or be controlled. Because of this Batman probably has a just in case plan that is always in effect waiting for a strike. All DC characters are capable of defeating each other and Superman and batman will most likely be a 50/50 battle. Superman represents a superior being, great savior with great powers saving humanity as to where Batman represents humanity rising to the occasion and saving themselves. Love the topic Comic Vine!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

It really depends what you mean by "truly beaten."

ajnesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarecrows fear gas laced with kryptonite.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kriminal

the thing when batman beats superman, its with kryptonite, which makes him weaker than a human. I kinda think this is a huge problem with superman, that a rock makes him so vulnerable

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crazyAMRIT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kriminal said:

the thing when batman beats superman, its with kryptonite, which makes him weaker than a human. I kinda think this is a huge problem with superman, that a rock makes him so vulnerable

would you rather nothing made him vulnerable and he would be an unbeatable tank 24/7

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By sinestro_GL

Beaten? No.

Temporarily gained the advantage, and was able to convince Superman not to beat him up into a fine-powder? Many times.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Baman has made better movies and cartoons, not only that he also makes more money.

Since beaten could mean many thing in many ways.

I am sure he has done it, in some way and some how.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HE BEAT HIM IN THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN. NO EXCUSES THERE. Sorry for caps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: serious. He had help and tons or prep and planning but he beat him

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TekTheNinja

@amazingscrewonhead said:

Yes he beat him the dark knight returns, He was counting on superman holding back and he gave him the slip, Batman has the brains so therefore he wins every time

I wish Batman killed him.

I don't care if this is 6 months olds. F*CK YOU!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: Oh yeah the caps weren't serious, but shouldn't it count even if he had help?

Also in the dark knight returns he won too. He made supes bloody and bruised. He could've done more and beat him more convincingly if he didnt plan to die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: Well superman sure as heck didnt win that fight in the dark knight returns. He was trying there right? He was weakened though. I didnt read the sequel I'm just going off summaries for that one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: Alright that doesn't seem like much of a fight. But I'm still counting the dark knight returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: My reasoning is only that if batman hadnt faked his death he would've continued to beat on superman and by the time Clark would've realized he needed to fight back or get seriously hurt or die, he would be too weak or hurt. But ok, we'll just disagree.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@mitran: My reasoning is only that if batman hadnt faked his death he would've continued to beat on superman and by the time Clark would've realized he needed to fight back or get seriously hurt or die, he would be too weak or hurt. But ok, we'll just disagree.

Your reasoning makes sense, but I would just suggest that maybe the kryptonite gas was coming out of his system. Remember, logically he would have inhaled some and then exhaled it. Also his body can eventually process it out (otherwise any time someone has poisoned him with kryptonite he would die anyway). It's only a temporary effect. My theory is that the heart attack was timed by Bruce (since he was the ultimate Batgod in that story) to kick in around the time Superman would have started recovering from the kryptonite. However I do count it as a Batman "win" still as at the time the fight "ended" Bruce was in a position of power over Clark and ultimately he wasn't trying to kill Clark - he was trying to show the government that they couldn't stop him, even with their Superman weapon, if he didn't want to be beaten - so his plan was executed perfectly. And Clark did fight a little (Bruce had three broken ribs for example) - just not in the sense of actually trying to win or even really wanting to hurt Bruce... he just wanted the fight to stop so they could talk.

At any rate - it was non-canon. In terms of the OP it's only ever happened in non-canon stories (and only 3 times at that, TDKR, TDKSA and Armageddon 2001). Hush and Tower of Babel - I can't even understand why people bring these up. 1 wasn't even Bruce (I know it was his plan, but he's never actually used it). And in the other, Clark was on the verge of killing Bruce, and got distracted and was able to break Ivy's control because of the threat to Lois - Batman never beat him - he merely "survived", and that was WITH the k-ring. How does anyone ever consider this as Batman "beating" Superman in a fight? If someone can answer this for me - I'm all ears.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman: I'd count Tower of Babel if batman actually did it. As for Hush, I wouldn't say he beat him in a fight more so as he just got the job done. The job was to get rid of ivys control of him and survive the encounter. Not really beating him. Even batman acknowledges he could've died easily. So I kinda agree with you there.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@wishiwassuperman: I'd count Tower of Babel if batman actually did it. As for Hush, I wouldn't say he beat him in a fight more so as he just got the job done. The job was to get rid of ivys control of him and survive the encounter. Not really beating him. Even batman acknowledges he could've died easily. So I kinda agree with you there.

Yeah for sure. Had Batman enacted the plan - it would count for him, and I accept it as an argument for how Batman could potentially beat Superman. The Hush one annoys me since when it comes to "Batman Vs Superman" it's ALWAYS brought up and he didn't at any point get close to beating Superman in a VS sense.... Sorry - just find it annoying.... I enjoy debating this stuff and accept that Batman can beat Superman under the right scenario (it's fiction after all - anything is possible) - I just hate illogical arguments.

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Is there a story where superman has truly beaten batman to the point where the fight is over? Interruptions don't count.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why do people consider hush a win for batman? All it really showed was that batman could get maybe four punches in and then come close to breaking his hand against superman's skin? In fact batman actually admits that superman would beat him. The only reason it end is because lois is put in danger. Plus The dark knight returns fight is not really a win. The fight stops when batman fakes his death. In the end without the kryptonite arrow from green arrow superman would of killed batman. He broke three of batman's ribs just by slamming is hand into his chest. But the majority of people say its a win. But anyway theres been no cannon fight between the two with batman wining. Most of the time it's superman either stopping or holding back which allows batman to escape.

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: There certainly is a canon fight where Batman wins. Superman/Batman #59 , in fact I believe in this issue Superman's powers are growing out of control exponentially and Bats takes him down

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would consider the confrontation in Red Son a win for Batman until Wonder Women intervened, even then a heavy price was paid by Superman and Wonder Woman. Batman did recieve help reguarding the plan but the actual execution was entirely up to him.

BATDUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BEAT DOSE'NT MEAN KILL

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dbatdog

I would say Batman had beaten Sups but I think subconsciously Clark wants to be beaten by Bruce....well lets face it, Sups can just throw him into space :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.