Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Grey Batsuit For Next Film?

• 70 results
    Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hi everyone.

Does anyone else hope that the next time we see Batman on the big screen, he'll be wearing a grey Batsuit?

The suit's been black in all of the films, but I can't find a black suit appearance anywhere in my comic book collection. I don't understand why they'd make the decision to change the look of a hugely iconic character in such a way, seven times. It just seems like a good idea to make a character look as much like the source material as possible.

Anyone think it's better to make it black?, or would you rather see it be grey, like I do?

Sorry if anyone's already posted something like this before.

Scarlotte.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By batshrine

He adopted the full black in the Troika story line. And idk if it counts but every time he is in his cowl mode body wrapped by cowl) it looks like he is in all black, which is much harder to pull off in the movie version. But ya you are right, he's not really in all black ever. Usually there is some grey or blue as well. Could also be because its hard to draw black outfits (or maybe its easier, im not really an artist)

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By gotwillpower

I'd like for Batman to don the grey suit, but how would they make it look good? Marvel's movies always edge towards comic accuracy, especially with Spider-man. But, I didn't really care for anyone's appearances (except Iron-Man) in Marvel's movies. In comparison, I thought the Nolan bat-suit was pretty cool. I mean, the costume wasn't well designed, but it looked good when it counted. I don't know if anyone could make a grey, unarmored suit look good. They either have to be super-ripped or use armor.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

In a live adaptation I can't really see the suit being grey.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By havoc1201

he started wearing all black in the comics after he returns from getting his back broken by baine.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Onemoreposter

@havoc1201: Not quite. When he comes back at the end of Knights End to put down JPV he's wearing his classic grey and black duds. It's not until the end of the following story arc, Prodigal (where Grayson replaces Wayne as Batman while Bruce takes a vacation), that Batman shows up up in the all black suit.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JonSmith

@gotwillpower said:

I'd like for Batman to don the grey suit, but how would they make it look good?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By longbowhunter

As much as I loved Nolan's Batman I'm really hoping to see a slightly more comic book-y take on the character next time. Gray suit and all.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By havoc1201

@onemoreposter your right i was just stating a brief time reference of when he started wearing the all Black but yes it was after he came back for good and he told Tim that he was re-tooling the operation.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gotwillpower

@JonSmith: That's probably the best way to do it. That way, all the people that have played the video game know what's going on. Still, it seems like a stretch for them to use that costume in the movie. I think they would sooner use an even more armored version of the New 52 costume.

redhoodnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By redhoodnet

As long as the underwear is gone I feel the grey suit would work just fine.

I would prefer a new look non-black suit for a new movie.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCowman

@JonSmith said:

I'd love it if they used this style of costume for the next movie. They could even make the cape and cowl black if they really needed to.

And I'm sick of people whining about the underwear on super-suits. Hey, y'know what looks really stupid? A mask with a pointy nose and stupid bat-ears on the top.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MuyJingo

@TheCowman said:

@JonSmith said:

I'd love it if they used this style of costume for the next movie. They could even make the cape and cowl black if they really needed to.

And I'm sick of people whining about the underwear on super-suits. Hey, y'know what looks really stupid? A mask with a pointy nose and stupid bat-ears on the top.

The cape and cowl are black.....

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

I'd love to see the tights. The armor never made sense to me.

If Batman's whole shtick is stealth, how on earth would he get around in bulky armor? The tights are just logical.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MuyJingo

I want to see something that looks like tights, but is an advanced armor mesh...akin to Morrison's Batman

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By danhimself

@MuyJingo said:

@TheCowman said:

@JonSmith said:

The cape and cowl are black.....

they're blue in those pics

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MuyJingo

@danhimself: I don't think so. They are a shade of black. Photoshop sees it as black with the eyedropper tool...for what that's worth.

AB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AB93
    No Caption Provided

Thought this costume would be almost perfect.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gotwillpower

@AB93: I would really really really like his eyes to be white, instead of actual eyes. Even if they have to use CGI the whole way through to do it, I could care less. The most important thing for me is a good cowl with white eyes.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By evilvegeta74

I'm for the gray!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

As long as looks good, i'm cool with it.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Batman has worn a Black suit in comics. After the Prodigal storyline (the first time Dick Grayson stood in for Batman) he returned wearing a black costume.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Current comic version of the suit, please. Do we sign here?

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Wouldn't gray (and gray and blue in particular) make less sense in "real life". In the comic, Batman wears those colors to help contrast him against the backgrounds. It's the same reason Venom isn't typically drawn as a solid black, but rather a bluish or purplish. Things that look good on a page don't necessarily translate as well to film.

In real life if a man were wanting to blend into shadows would he choose gray or black?

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PaperDemon

I want it grey, but it is unknown whether they would pull that off or not.

batfan1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By batfan1939

@Crash_Recovery: He would choose dark blue. Black would actually silhouette him in any situation light enough to see him in the first place.

I'd like him to wear a suit closer to Nite Owl's in Watchmen:

It implies cloth, but is much more protective:

I also wouldn't mind something like Cap's Avengers costume:

It is cloth, but obviously has armor under it.

Finally, I would design a sort of kevlar-looking suit (mine would be dark grey).

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FatihBATMAN

im cool with almost all the suits hes ben wearing, the only suit I didnt like was the Nolan movies suit, IMO th cowl was too round and too close around his mouth

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By nappystr8

My biggest problem with the Batman film franchise as a whole is that the batsuit has never looked quite right. I'd be glad to get rid of the rubber altogether and go with a classic suit even. But I undetstand the rubber suit is familiar to the general public at this point, and heavily armored Batman is now the norm in the comics too, so I can let that go. But my fellow members showing off the Arkham Asylum game costume are absolutely right in thinking that that gray suit (and all its rubbery armor glory) would translate very well to the films.

batfan1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By batfan1939

Working through Pain outfit (which I like):

No Caption Provided
    FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@nappystr8 said:

My biggest problem with the Batman film franchise as a whole is that the batsuit has never looked quite right.

This! you are right mister.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@gotwillpower: They show eyes in the film so the actor doesn't have to act using only his mouth. It's not strictly aesthetic, it's for a better performance.

PsychoJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PsychoJack

@AB93 said:

No Caption Provided

Now that's badass

Though another all black suit with major details from the Dark Knight suit would be pretty cool. Hell maybe a black suit with blue outlines like in The Batman.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Crash_Recovery said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Wouldn't gray (and gray and blue in particular) make less sense in "real life". In the comic, Batman wears those colors to help contrast him against the backgrounds. It's the same reason Venom isn't typically drawn as a solid black, but rather a bluish or purplish. Things that look good on a page don't necessarily translate as well to film.

In real life if a man were wanting to blend into shadows would he choose gray or black?

I thought the black cape would help him blend in to the shadows, he can wrap himself in it.

Zyrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zyrok

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

I thought the black cape would help him blend in to the shadows, he can wrap himself in it.

Actually, dark blue and grey blend themselves better in the shadows than black, because there is always a bit of light, and the dark blue/dark grey absorb that bit.

Ninjas tended to use dark blue.

Or so I have read.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Zyrok said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

Actually, dark blue and grey blend themselves better in the shadows than black, because there is always a bit of light, and the dark blue/dark grey absorb that bit.

Or so I have read.

Good point. I think I heard on Q.I. that Ninjas wore blue, so it's probably true.

Edited. Yep, found the clip:

Zyrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zyrok

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Zyrok said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

Or so I have read.

Good point. I think I heard on Q.I. that Ninjas wore blue, so it's probably true.

Edited. Yep, found the clip:

Great clip. I guess that part about black not blending better in shadows is a bit of real life being stranger than fiction, and most movie goers would assume that black blends better in the dark and not grey/blue. Probabaly why Batman tends to use so much black in the movies.

But I too hope that this trend changes with the next movie.

Honestly, like someone said, I want to see a more 'comic book-y' Batman film. And other thing I really missed from the Nolan films was Batman being a true ninja, he only does that in Begins (that is my favorite Batman movie.)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Zyrok: Yeah, comic book-y would be better. I've heard people say that films should be more realistic than comics, but I think being more accurate to the comics might be better than trying to being too realistic about it.

thatbamaguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thatbamaguy

I just want white eyes... they could say it was some kind of HUD system if they want to put a reason behind it.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
    Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: They used a Grey Suit in the first Batman movie....

No Caption Provided

Seriously though, I'd like to see a Grey Batsuit

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Captain_Yesterday:I wasn't sure whether to count that as I thought it was just a T.V. Movie.

I wonder if there are people out there that only know Batman as wearing black Batsuits. I suppose it's possible there are people who've only seen the films(^apart from that one^).

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
    Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: It was based on the TV show, but the first Batman movie released in theaters.

I knew what you meant though, was just being a smartass :)

I'm sure there are people who only know Batman as wearing black Batsuits. My parents and heck even my Grandmother have seen the Batman movies, and they sure as heck have never read a comic.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By roboadmiral

I'd like a grey suit, but it could be tricky to do. I loved the Nolan Batman suit, but I don't know that it would suit the tone of a more superhero-y movie. It was very militaristic, you could barely see the bat-symbol. The right material would be tough. I think someone mentioned Captain America's suit from the Avengers, which I think would be a good starting point. Not tights, which tend not to work on screen, and not rubber pseudo-armor, which only really works in black. Although the cape, cowl, gloves, and boots definitely need to be black, not dark blue.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@roboadmiral said:

the cape, cowl, gloves, and boots definitely need to be black, not dark blue.

and the rest of it greyish?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SupBatz

@thatbamaguy said:

I just want white eyes... they could say it was some kind of HUD system if they want to put a reason behind it.

If they could find a way to pull it off without making it look ridiculous I would love to see the white eyes as well.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FatihBATMAN

oh yea white eyes in a real movie, I can see why they didnt include it in the nolan movies, because it was maybe too unrealistic...

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By roboadmiral

@FatihBATMAN: Aye.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Loki9876

@AB93 said:

No Caption Provided

awesome I want it in grey but whitout the pants a bit like the arkham games but whitout the pants.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Alexander505

I would like to see a suit like the suit saw in Arkham City. Would be perfect.

thatbamaguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thatbamaguy

@Alexander505: I do love that suit.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.