Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Greg Capullo's Art

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gotwillpower

What's your opinion on Greg Capullo's art in Batman? I ask this because it's different from all of the other art interpretations of Batman in the New 52. The others--well, besides Batman and Robin--tend to portray Batman's features more realistically, while Capullo makes it a little bit more "cartoony."

I think it's great! There's a review of one Batman issue from Stadium Comics on Youtube where they comment that it is reminiscent of Batman TAS. I can't say that I dislike Jim Lee's art, but I really tire of the art from Detective Comics and Batman: The Dark Knight.

I'd love to know what you think!

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By selinaky

@gotwillpower: I love Greg Capullo's artwork, it's quickly become among my favourites. I never really saw it as 'cartoony', but now you mention it, I see what you mean. I really like the way he draws Batman, there's something refreshing about his style.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gotwillpower

@Selinaky: I know what you mean, I didn't think of it as cartoony either until I heard it from someone else.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Suprman

When I heard over a year ago that Capullo was doing the art for Batman in the new 52 I got excited because I really like his work. I love the work he's doing on Batman.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By lorex

I think the first book I read with his art was issue 16 or 17 of Spawn way back when. I did not think it was too cartoony then and it is not now. His artistic style is sharp but still gritty enough for a title like Batman. 
    I don't think his style would work quite as well on Avengers or Justice League but its a great fit on Batman. Its good to see him get praise for the quality of his work which has has maintained for some time now.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SupBatz

For the most part I really love his art. It's got a lot of character to it and maybe it is a bit cartoony but it still works very well for Batman. The only realy complaint I have was that I didn't like the character designs for all of the villains used in issue 1 of Batman. Nor the decision to give Mr. Freeze that little bit of hair in Batman annual. But I don't know who was responsible for all of that and I'm mainly just nitpicking now - Capullo's art is great.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

I love Capullo's art. I first took notice of it in Haunt, and when I heard he was going to move onto Batman, I just knew he would be a perfect fit. My only complaints with him so far are how he draws Dick's head and Sinestro's hair.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TDK_1997

I love Capullo's art and the way he draws Batman,it's fantastic.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gotwillpower

@lorex said:

I did not think it was too cartoony then and it is not now.

@SupBatz said:

It's got a lot of character to it and maybe it is a bit cartoony but it still works very well for Batman.

Maybe I'm using the wrong adjective to describe it. Personally I don't know anything about art, so it's hard for me to even try to analyze it. I don't mean that the characters are disproportionate, but there's something unique about the way Capullo draws. I just can't put my finger on it.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eternal19

I like it. I read batman 12 and i realized how much more i prefered Capullo's art

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11  Edited By BatWatch

I think his art is a tad more cartoonish than the others, but not by much. It is still a fairly realistic looking Batman.

I do really enjoy Capullo's style.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By RedOwl_1

I love it, it's different indeed but still, in someway very fitting

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Love it..it's a perfect style for Batman. It does remind me, a tad, of the BAS Batman.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twentyfive

S'awesome. Away from Batman, a friend showed me a picture with a bunch of characters, and I like his version of Cyborg.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KnightRise

His faces tend to look sexy and smug; like they're seranading the reader for an evening of fireside, whitehot, passionate, love making.

But I like him. Something about it, hopefully not the seranading, just clicks with these kind of stories.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Joelislegend

LOVE his art. Batman will suck when he leaves.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.