Greatest Batman Villain: Bane or Joker?

• 97 results
#1 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Who do you think is more of a threat, Bane or Joker? (Comics, not movies).

In my opinion, it's rather difficult to compare the two. Bane is more likely to directly harm Batman, seeing as he is physically superior to him. Joker doesn't solely focus on killing Batman: he hurts Batman's friends, associates, etc in order to damage him mentally as well. Who do you think is a better villain?

If you think there's another Batman villain that trounces these two, feel free to say so.

Again, I know there was a thread already made about Bane vs. Joker in respect to the movies, so I'd like to compare the comic characters.

#2 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18383 posts) - - Show Bio

hands down joker, he is the prefect batman villain, he is a yin to batmans yang , there is no doubt that joker is batmans greatest villain

#3 Posted by SoA (5145 posts) - - Show Bio

bane got put onto the back burner after knightfall , i like the character i like him more than the joker , but the joker and batman are timeless. bane tried to match batman as far as intellect and brute force , and did succeed in proving he was superior . but something happend where he just not as menacing as when he was first introduced. i would love to see him off the venom plotting to overthrow batman again , i want him to be something batman fears. would like to see intellect meets brawn vs the world's best detective.

the joker is a sadistic, psychotic killer who has been doin the cat and mouse game with batman since forever , while he is a classic and will always be #1 on batman's rogue gallery i do get tired of joker being the big threat. i feel his return in october is a bit too soon. but the guy is batman's arch-nemesis , so he will be showcased a lot more prominently.

#4 Posted by FatesGambler (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Ra's Al Ghul is better (or would it be worse?) then better than them

#5 Posted by Pwok21 (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

Ra's al Ghul.

No question.

#6 Posted by Alexander505 (2177 posts) - - Show Bio

Ra's al Ghul. I hope that Ra's is taken up in the comics, since it was little used by the authors, but he has enormous potential. And 'rich, powerful, dangerous. A sort of Dr. Doom's DC. In my humble opinion is the best Batman's nemesis, the Joker more.

#7 Posted by gats_botl (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker and bane are totally different characters. bane is a big physical presents and man handles the batman no problem.

the joker how ever is psychotic and enjoys the fact that he doesn't have to kill batman to get one over him.

Ra's al Ghul is a great character especially in the movie.

for me the joker is the best villain and i cant see anyone topping him

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is the greatest Batman villain period,but Bane is a bigger threat.

#9 Posted by nickzambuto (14469 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

bane got put onto the back burner after knightfall , i like the character i like him more than the joker , but the joker and batman are timeless. bane tried to match batman as far as intellect and brute force , and did succeed in proving he was superior . but something happend where he just not as menacing as when he was first introduced. i would love to see him off the venom plotting to overthrow batman again , i want him to be something batman fears. would like to see intellect meets brawn vs the world's best detective.

the joker is a sadistic, psychotic killer who has been doin the cat and mouse game with batman since forever , while he is a classic and will always be #1 on batman's rogue gallery i do get tired of joker being the big threat. i feel his return in october is a bit too soon. but the guy is batman's arch-nemesis , so he will be showcased a lot more prominently.

To soon? He hasn't appeared in over a year.

#10 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is the premier Batman villain.

#11 Posted by Pokeysteve (8558 posts) - - Show Bio

Against Batman personally, Bane easy. Overall though, Joker.

#12 Posted by The_Tree (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker's better, although I prefer Doctor Hurt and Ra's al Ghul over him.

#13 Posted by FearTheLiving (3874 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't even think this would be a question. Joker hands down.

#14 Posted by SoA (5145 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: yes because the court of owls have been terrozing for that time. throw someone else in then put joker lol

#15 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane isn't even a villain anymore. He's been trying to overcome his inner demons for years now. He even told Bruce that he hopes to one day become worthy of the mantle of the Bat.

#16 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

hands down joker, he is the prefect batman villain, he is a yin to batmans yang , there is no doubt that joker is batmans greatest villain

#17 Posted by cjc1303 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

It has to be the Joker. There is no way that Bane can be. Bane has tried to become a hero/better person. The Joker is simply as The Dark Knight version said an Agent of Chaos. The Joker always finds his way out of Arkham and people will always get killed at such a high rate because of him. Joker is a sadistic person and truly just cares about harming people and the game he can make out of it.

#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingofMadCows said:

Bane isn't even a villain anymore. He's been trying to overcome his inner demons for years now. He even told Bruce that he hopes to one day become worthy of the mantle of the Bat.

He never said that,he respects Batman but he does'nt want to be Batman.

#19 Posted by awol89 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker, definitely. The apparent murder of Jason Todd did more damage to Batman's psyche than anything Bane dished out.

#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Joker is the greatest Batman villain period,but Bane is a bigger threat.

This.

#21 Posted by timelord786 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is my choice he does not just hurt the Batman he tortures him. And the best thing is that half the time he does not even know his own next move and makes it a million times more difficult for batman to figure out what he is planning.

#22 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think Bane is the greater villain simply because he defeated Batman in combat. He broke Batman physically and if it weren't for Shondra Kinsolving he would have broken his spirit too. The Joker may have damaged Batman emotionally over the years but he has never come close to defeating Batman

#23 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21 said:

Ra's al Ghul.

No question.

#24 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is Batman's arch-enemy, hands down. Bane is a much bigger challenge to him, though.

#25 Posted by ComicStooge (13790 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Pwok21 said:

Ra's al Ghul.

No question.

#26 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

(Facepalm) 

Seriously?  

Joker, obviously.  
People really need to think before starting threads.

#27 Posted by SupBatz (1819 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, let's look at it this way. Who would I rather be on the bad side of? Bane of Joker.....Definitely Bane. If I were on the Joker's bad side, I'd probably be better of just killing myself.

Bane may be formidable but the Joker is a completely ruthless monster. He can do much more damage than Bane. And he is obviously Batman's arch-enemy.

#28 Posted by Liara (421 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker. He is the most psychotic villain I know, and I always enjoy his appearances.

#29 Posted by BlackPookie (640 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower: I prefer HUSH or Rha's

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is the greatest villain.

#31 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

bane was just a thug in the movie. joker the man.

#32 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker said:

bane was just a thug in the movie. joker the man.

So is Deathstroke,guess Joker>Deathstroke too.

#33 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@awol89 said:

Joker, definitely. The apparent murder of Jason Todd did more damage to Batman's psyche than anything Bane dished out.

Bane had a chance to finish Drake though,he chose not to.

#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (51221 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is the more iconic villain, but I clearly prefer Bane.

Staff Online
#35 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane cried when Talia revealed the truth in TDKR. LOL, I thought he was supposed to be tough? Hardy's voice also sounded stupid. The Movie Bane was a letdown, Joker ALL THE WAY.

#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (51221 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23: How does having emotion make someone not tough? I could have sworn smacking Batman around and killing people with one arm would suffice for the "yeah, he's tough" category.

Also, OP says it's comics, not movies ;)

Staff Online
#37 Edited by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@comicdude23: How does having emotion make someone not tough? I could have sworn smacking Batman around and killing people with one arm would suffice for the "yeah, he's tough" category.

Also, OP says it's comics, not movies ;)

Lol I was joking I even wrote in my review of TDKR that I loved Hardy's Bane, just seeing what would happen if I wrote like a hardcore TDK fan-boy. If it's Comics then I still say Joker even though Bane broke The Bat.

#38 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingofMadCows: What? Really? Where (and when) did this happen? I'd love to see a non-canon arc where he's trying to take the mantle. But that's just me. Nevertheless, Bane (as an enemy) or Joker? Come on, it's obvious that Joker was meant to be his arch-nemesis.

#39 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18629 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Did you like Banes voice in the movie?

I did I was actually surprised how much I liked it,as it was a complete surprise as I don't think the trailers sounded that good.

#40 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18629 posts) - - Show Bio

Batmans greatest villain? Well it is the Joker,but that doesn't make Bane less great.

#41 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: I don't remember the exact issue but I believe it was around the "Veritas Liberat" story.

#42 Posted by TDK_1997 (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker can hurt Batman more mentally and is his biggest villain while Bane can hurt him more physically.

#43 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker.. Bane can beat Bats physically but Joker messed him up so bad that the damage he caused lasted 8 years to solve. Bane's damage lasted just 5 months... Good try tho.

BTW the real villain of the movie was Talia not Bane... Bane was just a dog fallowing orders.

Joker was a dog at first but then he became the big villain once his plan unfolded.

#44 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12093 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker.

I mean, Bane has a better body and Ras has that cool freacking mustache and epic beard.

But he killed Jason, shot Barbara, almost killed Tim and made Dick almost kill him.

#45 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

The Joker.

I mean, Bane has a better body and Ras has that cool freacking mustache and epic beard.

But he killed Jason, shot Barbara, almost killed Tim and made Dick almost kill him.

Well the Joker has made everyone "almost" kill him,how is that an accomplishment?

Killing Jason and shooting Barbara is something any idiot could've done.@Band Lone said:

Joker.. Bane can beat Bats physically but Joker messed him up so bad that the damage he caused lasted 8 years to solve. Bane's damage lasted just 5 months... Good try tho.

BTW the real villain of the movie was Talia not Bane... Bane was just a dog fallowing orders.

Joker was a dog at first but then he became the big villain once his plan unfolded.

The real villain as you so eloquently put it only had like 5 minutes of screen time max,she was the side villain and Bane sure as heck did'nt follow her last order, and he did'nt save her inside that pit cause he was being ordered to.dDd'nt Miranda say he became a recluse cause of the failure of the nuclear project? plus there was no crime to fight sooo.

#46 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis, something any idiot could have done? LOL. Stupidest statement I have ever heard. If they could've done that then why didn't they already? Why didn't Bane do it? Why didn't Riddler do it?

#47 Edited by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@entropy_aegis, something any idiot could have done? LOL. Stupidest statement I have ever heard. If they could've done that then why didn't they already? Why didn't Bane do it? Why didn't Riddler do it?

Oh I dunno...maybe cause Bane did'nt exist then,do you even think before you post? and again please tell me what's so special about shooting Babs at her door step while she was drinking coffee? dont even get me started on the stupidity that was the Death in the family.

Bane could have killed Alfred but did'nt and his reasoning was

"It is not your underlings that I want it is YOU".

He could have killed Drake as well but Drakes loyalty and bravery impressed Bane.

Even a moron like Black Mask killed Steph.

#48 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis, then why didn't Penguin, Riddled, etc not kill Jason? Jason was a skilled fighter. Your exact words "Killing Jason and shooting Barbara is something any idiot could've done". Then why didn't a stupid thug just shoot Jason? Doesn't work like that. Maybe breaking Barbabra isn't so good but killing Jason was impressive. Not anyone could've done it. When it comes down to it, Bane COULD have but he DIDN'T. He broke Batman physically but Joker killing Jason had a big affect on Batman mentally. Bane is a good villain but he can never be Batman's arch nemmessis because Joker has done more damage. Sure Bane broke Batman physically but Batman recovered, it ruined Batman when Jason died.

#49 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

Sure Bane broke Batman physically but Batman recovered, it ruined Batman when Jason died.

And this is why, to this day, Batman is a empty, broken shell of a man who breaks downs into tears avery time Jason Todd is mentioned.

Oh, wait...

I also really love how you can simply write off breaking his freaking spine as having no effect whatsoever on Batman's mentality.

#50 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@comicdude23 said:

Sure Bane broke Batman physically but Batman recovered, it ruined Batman when Jason died.

And this is why, to this day, Batman is a empty, broken shell of a man who breaks downs into tears avery time Jason Todd is mentioned.

Oh, wait...

I also really love how you can simply write off breaking his freaking spine as having no effect whatsoever on Batman's mentality.

To write off EITHER is simply wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.