Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23637 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Grayson's run as Batman

TheCrimson87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After new 52 I decided to start reading comics for the first time. I chose Nightwing. That might seem like a weird choice but I loved Robin as a kid. And reading about Grayson's evolution over the years was really interesting to me. But thats the problem. Ive only researched that stuff and not actually read any of the material. Im really interested in going back and reading some old stuff relating to the character, but Im most interested in his run as Batman.

As someone new to comics I find myself kind of overwhelmed as to where I should start. Im thinking Battle for the Cowl, but Im guessing theres stuff leading up to the event that I would want to read. If an expert could throw out an issue number of where I should start, that would be super helpful. Im also wondering about series. Im guessing I would need to read both Batman and B&R to get the most of it right? But is there anything beyond that worth looking into?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Classic Nightwing:

• New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
    • Nightwing: Year One
    • Chuck Dixon's run on Nightwing vol 1

If you're only interested in Dick's stint as Batman, then you can just start with Battle for the Cowl and continue on with Morrison's Batman & Robin.

xcell777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xcell777

I'd recommend Chuck Dixon (Nightwing #1–70) and Peter Tomasi (Nightwing #140-153) runs on Nightwing as the best on the title story wise.

Key issues leading into Grayson's run as Batman:

Nightwing #152-153

Also, check out another awesome Grayson as Batman story arc written by Scott Snyder called The Black Mirror which takes place in Detective Comics #871-881.

In addition, the current Grayson run is well written and very fun to read in which Grayson is now working undercover as a secret agent.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to read about his beginnings as Robin Batman: The Gauntlet and Robin Year One are also quite good.

And if you want to read about him as Batman, the story arc after battle for the cowl was actually his second stint as Batman the first was in the Batman: Prodigal story arc at the end of Knightfall.

TheCrimson87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys. Thats beyond helpful. Now all I have to do is dig in :)

ManofBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick Grayson is also Batman in Batman:The Black Mirror.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.