Getting Into New 52: Which Bat Book(s) Do I Need to Read?

#1 Posted by TranceQuina (1 posts) - - Show Bio

God, there are so many. And I'm a stickler for canon so I'm wondering which books I actually need to keep up with in order to answer the question, "What's going on with Batman?"

How can Batman, Dark Knight, Batman and Robin and Detective Comics all be happening side by side? Is one book somehow more important than the rest in a way that I'm not seeing? Which of these books is everyone here following and why? All I really want to do is keep up with the timeline here.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

#2 Posted by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

So I follow any appearance Batman (Bruce) makes. So I buy it all because there is no story that is more important than others. However this is one book that is spearheading the events and affecting other titles and that is Batman by Scott Snyder.

Batman - the most popular, and amazingly written started out with the court of the owls storyline, and now is in the death in the family (the return of the joker) story line. Both big and both had crossovers into the other titles

Dark Knight - Started out awful but definitely had the most cameos from other DC, since Hurwitz took over who has a background in horror, it has become a more villain themed book, more gory and violent but the writing quality is actually really good now.

Batman and Robin - started out strong playing on the dynamics of father and son, started to get weaker after the first arc though the Death in the Family tie in is AWESOME

Detective Comics - Like Dark Knight it started out pretty bad too, but once the team switched it is now one of the best books and the stories are more interesting.

Batman Inc. - It's Grant Morrison, and he likes to write big and fantastical. always enjoyable, but definitely not the typical batman comic.

So I say if you can afford it, and want the fullest circle of Batman, read them all! Especially now since the teams on each of the books are great (and each of them have awesome artists that really make the comics glow). Though the main book spearheading the events is Batman.

#3 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Before venturing into New 52 Batman mythis. Read all of these first: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/page-1.html Im still at page one :D

#4 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Batman
  • Batman and Robin
  • Detective Comics (I would start with issue #13 it's a jumping on point with a new creative team)
  • Batman Inc. (Only if you have been following Grant Morrison's epic run on Batman, since this is his conclusion)
  • Batgirl (Hit or miss for a lot of people, but it's one of my favorites and it s an agreeably solid book)
  • Nightwing
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws
  • Talon (It's showing some great potential but were only 3 issues in, which should be great for you since you don't have too many back issues to track down. It's issues #0, #1, and #2 BTW.)

Now the only ones I didn't mention are:

• Dark Knight (Heard it's pretty lackluster, but I also heard it's picking up in quality lately. Haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it)
  • Teen Titans (It barely counts, but since Tim Drake is the leader I guess it counts. If you are a Batman fan...stay away from this)
  • Batwing (Haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it)
  • Batwoman (Haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it, I heard it's pretty great though)
  • Legends of the Dark Knight (Haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it)
  • Odyssey (Haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it)
  • Arkham Unhinged (Haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it)
  • Batman Beyond Unlimited (Haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it, it looks really interesting though, loved the show)
  • World's Finest (This is really only half a bat book because it's a book about the Earth 2 Huntress and Power Girl. Huntress is the daughter of Batman and Catwoman. Damian makes a cameo in issues #6, and #7. Honestly this is a really poor book. Skip at all costs.)
#5 Posted by longbowhunter (7283 posts) - - Show Bio

I would recommend Batman and Talon. Batman Inc. is great, but you'd have a lot of catching up to do. Nightwing and Batman & Robin are kinda hit or miss. Detective has been ok, but if you throw down $4 make it count and buy Scott Snyder's Batman.

#6 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio

All that really is needed (objectively) to experience the "New 52 Batman", is, Batman - as all the big events (Night of the Owls, Death of the Family) is there.

Subjectively, of course, up to you. Myself, I usually read at least 2-3, sometimes 4, Bat-Titles a month, with Batman and Batgirl at least a must.

And many times, I pick up issues based on favorite characters, as each title features different heroes, different villains:

Batman: all titles with BATMAN attached to it, plus Justice League and Detective Comics

Robin: Batman & Robin, Batman Incorporated, often in Batman

Batgirl: Batgirl, Birds of Prey, sometimes in Batman

Nightwing: Nightwing, sometimes in Batman

Red Robin: Teen Titans, sometimes in Batman

Catwoman: Catwoman

Batwoman: Batwoman

Red Hood: Red Hood & the Outlaws, sometimes in Batman

Batwing: Batwing, often in Batman Incorporated

Talon: Talon

Joker: just about all Bat-Verse Titles (except Batman Incorporated, Dark Knight, & Catwoman now)

Penguin: Detective Comics, often in other titles

Riddler: Coming Soon: Batman

Two-Face: Coming Soon: Batman

Scarecrow: the Dark Knight

Mad Hatter: Coming Soon: the Dark Knight

Talia: Batman Incorporated

Ra's Al Ghul: Batman Incorporated

Poison Ivy: Just Recently Seen: Detective Comics

Clayface I : Just Recently Seen: Detective Comics

Harley Quinn: Suicide Squad

#7 Edited by SmashBrawler (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I only recommend Batman, Detective Comics (issue 13 onward) and Nightwing. I don't recommend Batman Incorporated for new readers.

The only important book at the moment is Batman.

#8 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it the only important one?

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33889 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: dude forget all the rest just read Batman

@FatihBATMAN: beacuse the writers have stated that Batman is the main book, the rest are secondary

#10 Posted by Maikky (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwomen, just everything about it is amazing .

The story, the characters and don't get me started on the art .

#11 Posted by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is definitely the one to get if you're only going to read one. I also read Detective comics( which is alot better these last few issues although I have enjoyed them all) and The Dark Knight which I've been reading since #9 and have been loving the Scarecrow arc...very creepy.

#12 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@TranceQuina said:

God, there are so many. And I'm a stickler for canon so I'm wondering which books I actually need to keep up with in order to answer the question, "What's going on with Batman?"

How can Batman, Dark Knight, Batman and Robin and Detective Comics all be happening side by side? Is one book somehow more important than the rest in a way that I'm not seeing? Which of these books is everyone here following and why? All I really want to do is keep up with the timeline here.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

read only BATMAN and you are covered!

The dark knight,Detective comics are bad at first but they become better later

Batman and robin has a great first arc but nothing good after that

Nightwing has its ups and downs

Batwoman was good at the beginning i dont know now

Batman inc is good but out of continuity

Batgirl is nothing great

Batwing is nothing great

Catwoman is bad

#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN: Batman is the main book, it's where the important stuff that may affect other books happens.

#14 Posted by entropy_aegis (15453 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@FatihBATMAN: Batman is the main book, it's where the important stuff that may affect other books happens.

And this is EXACTLY my problem with it personally.I'd rather the books deal with their own stories instead of hanging on to Batman's left overs.

#15 Posted by SmashBrawler (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@SmashBrawler said:

And this is EXACTLY my problem with it personally.I'd rather the books deal with their own stories instead of hanging on to Batman's left overs.

Same here.

#16 Posted by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@TranceQuina: Over all every book is an important book about Batman. IF it has Batman in it it is showing an aspect of his personality. Heck in Red Hood and the Outlaws which is only connected to Batman just cause Jason Todd used to be Robin. So it rarely has anything to do about Batman but there was an awesome memory in one of the issues that showed Batman valuing his time iwth Jason and spending the night wiht him taking care of him when he is sick. It is a special moment that gives you a glimpse on who Batman is and I found that equally important to him fighting a bunch of owl people.

So you have your choices of books, maybe try a comic from each of them, see what grabs your interests the most and stick with it!

#17 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

why not read them all like me?

#18 Posted by tomlikesfries (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman (Snyder is doing a fantastic work)

Talon (only two issues so far and both were awesome)

Batman and Robin (The first arc with Nobody was amazing, but the last 3 issues were pretty boring)

Nightwing

#19 Posted by SmashBrawler (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

Because not all of them are good and I don't have enough money?

#20 Edited by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

Money I understand, but not all of them are good?!?!...I love them all! Though Catwoman and World's Finest could use a boost in quality, as long as Batman shows up in some form or another I am happy

#21 Posted by SmashBrawler (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

Money I understand, but not all of them are good?!?!...I love them all! Though Catwoman and World's Finest could use a boost in quality, as long as Batman shows up in some form or another I am happy

OK, then. I like a lot other characters other than Batman and I have to pick stuff I like, which is mainly influenced by whether the titles have quality storytelling and art, or not. To me, and most people, not everything in the Batman line is good, there's plenty of rotten apples. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

#22 Posted by tupiaz (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

I'm sorry to say this but sometimes you lack the abilities or will to see the bigger picture. You are a batman fanboy and you knowledge seems to be very good. However if you want a new person to start read batman or want a person to follow Batman you don't say he/she has to read all books. That will only scare people off and don't even bother about Batman. You go with Batman since that is the book the main event is taking place other stories tie into this story. You don't have to have read every single Batman book since the forties to understand Batman. it also seems like you don't have the ability or will to recommend single stories that deals a lot with the Batman mythos nor the ability/will to see when a Batman story is bad. Sometimes it is better to put your subjective views aside (as much as possible) and take an objective one (as much as possible)

#23 Posted by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: @SmashBrawler: I'll address you both! First of all, I was teasing and I wouldn't ever pressure anyone to buy all the books. Yes I am a Batman fan boy (at the highest level too) and will read ANYTHING that contains Batman in it as long as Batman isn't killing or using guns. I also can recognize a bad story or bad art, which definitely deteriorates from my enjoyment. I mean when someone says what is the best Batman story out that I struggle to find an answer not cause there are so many good ones but there aren't many that are perfect. Hush is overhyped, I dislike many elements of the Killing Joke, and I am sick of deaths used as a publicity stunt.

But I also do want you guys to check my posts on this thread. The first post I made was my analysis of the main Batman books, I didn't even mention the outlier ones. And within it I recommended to the new reader if they wanted just the main story to read Batman. Then later I also post as another recommendation to counter the people say get everything, to sample different books and find the ones you like and stick with them because I strongly believe just because Batman is spearheading the crossovers the other titles still have equal merit in telling Batman stories.

So Tupiaz I guess you are in correct for me struggling to recommend "core" readings but thats mainly cause I don't believe there are any core readings. Other than an origin story to get where the character is coming from, every contribution to Batman to me is just as important as the next. Now you would never see me recommend a book like Batman: Fortunate Son (which sucked) to someone who is new as well. So just because I express that I enjoy seeing Batman showing up all over the place, don't assume I am ignorant of other people's feelings or thoughts, just sharing my own.

Now with my previous posts directed to the OP, did I say anything in correct or unhelpful? And if so I would appreciate the feedback on that.

#24 Posted by SmashBrawler (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: OK...? I don't know how is this is directed at me, since I never brought up any of those points but whatever, I guess.

#25 Posted by tupiaz (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

.Now with my previous posts directed to the OP, did I say anything in correct or unhelpful? And if so I would appreciate the feedback on that.

it is mainly this I disagree with.

So Tupiaz I guess you are in correct for me struggling to recommend "core" readings but thats mainly cause I don't believe there are any core readings. Other than an origin story to get where the character is coming from, every contribution to Batman to me is just as important as the next.

For instance I feel Hush (even though I find it over hyped and rated) and The Long Halloween tells more about the Batman mythos than for instance Monster Men or Mad Monk.

#26 Posted by laagamer (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got into comics myself, primarily Batman titles.

Try Death of the Family arc. It starts with "New 52 Detective Comics 12" then goes to "Batman 13-15". Also the "Nightwing 15 & 16" tie-in as well.

Haven't had a chance to read it but I heard the Court of Owls story arc before this one was fairly good. It seemed fairly gritty and action packed.

#27 Edited by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

No it's not

@tomlikesfries said:

Talon (only two issues so far and both were awesome)

Actually 3 (#0, #1, #2)

#28 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7 said:

@Squalleon said:

No it's not

It gets good reviews and has a big fanbase....so probably you dont like it :-)

#29 Edited by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@JakeN7 said:

@Squalleon said:

No it's not

It gets good reviews and has a big fanbase....so probably you dont like it :-)

NO! Dude you don't understand! I love Batman Inc. I have all of Grant Morrison's run in various collected editions. I have all 6 (counting #0) issues of the New 52 series. I can't wait to see the conclusion of a story that's been in the works for over 6 years!

What I meant by that was that it actually isn't out of continuity. It's completely in continuity and the events of it are even referenced in multiple other Bat books (the hit out on Damian for example.) The only thing that might be considered non-canon is the dystopian future in which Batman (Damian) takes place. But I'm pretty sure that is just a possible future for Gotham that Bruce is trying to prevent, witch was alluded to back in issue #666 (Pre-Flashpoint.)

Yeah sorry about that, should have been more clear as to what I meant :)

There. Fixed my original post

#30 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/page-1.html

Nice link

#31 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

Nice link

Thanks, i love that site, im still at page one, there are up to page 5 or 6 i believe including with new 52, and im taking my sweet time reading every comic thats listed there, before i venture into new 52 :D

#32 Posted by CalebHara (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, Court of Owls in a phenomenal read and i was very impressed with it. I would recommend it more than any of the other new 52 comics a the moment.

#33 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

@JoeEddie said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

Nice link

Thanks, i love that site, im still at page one, there are up to page 5 or 6 i believe including with new 52, and im taking my sweet time reading every comic thats listed there, before i venture into new 52 :D

Lol. It is going to take you forever to get to the New 52. I have been buying all of the classic Bat stories from Amazon and following Snyder's Batman.

#34 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea totally i know, forever :D which classics have you bought?

#35 Edited by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

Yea totally i know, forever :D which classics have you bought?

Venom, Man Who Laughs, Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Year One, Knightfall volume 1-3. That is all that I can think of right now. I am currently reading Under the Red Hood which probably is not considered a classic, but I am enjoying it.. I want to pick up either Batman: Prey or Batman: Birth of the Demon next.

#36 Posted by Whoishe (3 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honset you should really read the old Death in the family to understand the new comics out. I'm having money trouble with getting the comics too, but reading forms or spoliers from friends helps to understand where the story is at.

To help with the reading order of all the new 52 comics based around this storyline look at this image below.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.