Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Geoff Johns doesn't hate Batman

• 81 results
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By entropy_aegis

@anjales said:

@entropy_aegis: No offense, but you're the one who's closing his eyes and pretending. The stuff you mentioned mean nothing. So he stripped Cold of his powers, does that mean he hates Cold? Because he seems to have made Cold a member of the Justice League and a key player in the defeat of the syndicate Please make an argument besides "he hates him cause I said so" to counter my actual arguments and examples regarding Batman, or else we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on. And I'm still waiting on that example.

I dont have to make any arguments,it's blatantly obvious,threads upon threads have been made with dozens of examples. Johns is a fanboy writer,it's not just that he hates Batman,he shows his ridiculous fanboyishness everywhere. Yes Johns does love Cold and too much I might add,but he's unwilling to accept any changes or developments others bring to the character,so what does he do? he strips it off and writes him the WAY HE WANTS TO WRITES him. He's convinced that only he can make it right. The same goes for Batman,Johns believes him to be useless slob and writes him like that.

You want an example,how about Batman struggling against Copperhead? or using a near depleted Sinestro ring?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Johns doesn't write or characterize Batman well........the feats doesn't matter when the character is written indifferently.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There is something more likely to explain his treatment of Batman.

Most lists of the top 100, top 25,top 10, top 5, or top 3 comic bok stories will either include Batman or have a story like Watchmen with at least six characters partially inspired by him. Alan Moore even admitted to using Rorchach and Nite Owl as Batman and Blue Beetle.

This means that most decent writers will either directly or indirectly write characters in a "Batman" way.

As Batman has been the most crossover heavy character in DC for sixty years, his character type and style are hard to escape.

He also has the best and most diverse rogues gallery in comics. The result is that making a good villain on his own will in some way touch on some popular Bat story that a huge chunk of the readers would have already read. It is the same for character development. Batman has no powers to develop and give beat wider applications to, the result was that writers needed to trade breadth of power for depth of character and dialog. Hence, why so many great comic book stories are Batman stories.

If Johns wrote Batman the way he is commonly portrayed in well liked stories, ALL the male characters would seem more like Batman than their classic interpretations.

I was not so much upset at how bad he writes Batman, but at how uninspired his fresh takes on iconic characters dems when read through a filter of classic comics of all companies. If Johns wrote Superman well in the Justice League ongoing, it would immediately draw comparisons with Morrison's take on the Original Superhero. And Johns current work would not hold up to AS Superman. (Morrison's past and present work does not compare well either to THE most well liked version of the man of steel)

Could we all do without the Batgod of Mark Waid...probably. But Geoff does not or has not shown the raw skill to give a strong or COHERENT version of Batman. To do so would require that he have the talent of the hall of fame writers in DC. And he had to get S Unchained and Batman's release postponed to prevent his biggest arc from being booted out of the top ten on Diamond.

Johns is not the best writer at DC right now. And it takes a LOT of writing skill to write stories for characters without the infinite potential of superhuman powers. And he has never really had much of that. Let the games begin

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@senglord said:

There is something more likely to explain his treatment of Batman.

Most lists of the top 100, top 25,top 10, top 5, or top 3 comic bok stories will either include Batman or have a story like Watchmen with at least six characters partially inspired by him. Alan Moore even admitted to using Rorchach and Nite Owl as Batman and Blue Beetle.

This means that most decent writers will either directly or indirectly write characters in a "Batman" way.

As Batman has been the most crossover heavy character in DC for sixty years, his character type and style are hard to escape.

He also has the best and most diverse rogues gallery in comics. The result is that making a good villain on his own will in some way touch on some popular Bat story that a huge chunk of the readers would have already read. It is the same for character development. Batman has no powers to develop and give beat wider applications to, the result was that writers needed to trade breadth of power for depth of character and dialog. Hence, why so many great comic book stories are Batman stories.

If Johns wrote Batman the way he is commonly portrayed in well liked stories, ALL the male characters would seem more like Batman than their classic interpretations.

I was not so much upset at how bad he writes Batman, but at how uninspired his fresh takes on iconic characters dems when read through a filter of classic comics of all companies. If Johns wrote Superman well in the Justice League ongoing, it would immediately draw comparisons with Morrison's take on the Original Superhero. And Johns current work would not hold up to AS Superman. (Morrison's past and present work does not compare well either to THE most well liked version of the man of steel)

Could we all do without the Batgod of Mark Waid...probably. But Geoff does not or has not shown the raw skill to give a strong or COHERENT version of Batman. To do so would require that he have the talent of the hall of fame writers in DC. And he had to get S Unchained and Batman's release postponed to prevent his biggest arc from being booted out of the top ten on Diamond.

Johns is not the best writer at DC right now. And it takes a LOT of writing skill to write stories for characters without the infinite potential of superhuman powers. And he has never really had much of that. Let the games begin

I thought Rorschach was based off The Question.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still can't believe people think that, just because he's not the concept of Batgod doesn't mean he hates Batman.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't believe people think that, just because he's not the concept of Batgod doesn't mean he hates Batman.

He hates Batman.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I don't think he hates Batman, I think he's indifferent towards the character and it shows in Geoff John's characterization of Batman in the Justice League comics.

Do I feel sympathy towards his fanbase, not at all because he's in a multitude of other comics and movies and games and shows where he is portrayed well. I'd rather feel for fans of characters like Vixen who have to witness their character just completely get tossed aside by DC editorial or fans of characters like Wally West who went from being one of the most popular heroes in comics (IGN had him at no. 8 all time) to a complete afterthought in the DCU, or fans of characters like Roy Harper or Starfire who after 3 years are still one-dimensional uninteresting shells that are trapped in the one book they are in and are incapable of having a larger impact on the DCU.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: He definitely was. But, I do remember the YouTube video when he describes Rorshach as being Batman with a huge death wish.

An aspect of Batman that flies over most mediocre writers heads.

And Johns always seemed a mediocre writer in the vein of Scott Lobdell tbh.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm the #1 batman hater.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

i'm the #1 batman hater.

You cant be #1 there are too many Bat-haters in CV.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#62  Edited By Endanger

So what if he hates Batman....is it required for every DC writer to love Batman??

If he hates Aquaman would any of you give a shit?

As long as the stories are good it's all I care about.

Bruce Timm portrayed Wonder Woman and Superman like crap in the JL cartoons but the show was entertaining regardless...didn't stop me from watching.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chewforce seems strong here. looks like the church of chew grew here on the vine. hahahahahha

blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endanger said:

So what if he hates Batman....is it required for every DC writer to love Batman??

Bruce Timm portrayed Wonder Woman and Superman like crap in the JL cartoons but the show was entertaining regardless...didn't stop me from watching.

ITS NOT OK FOR WRITERS TO HATE THE SAME CHARACTER HE IS WRITING.HE SHOULD NOT BE WRITING THEM IF HE HATE THEM INSTEAD OF DOWNPLAYING THEM.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endanger said:

No,but Johns has been writing in fanboy mode for years,and it's not professional,notice how the current crop of GL writers are hell bent on removing his contributions,Johns has inspired writers to only write characters they love and openly display their fanboyism. From what I understand even Azzarello is only writing Futures End because he wanted to use Batman Beyond,now I like Futures End and Azz's story is IMO by far the best,he is also free to write who ever he wants to write but this mentality is the creation of Johns.

Yes,if a writer abuses Aquaman I would absolutely hate it.

Stories aren't good either,his JL sucks,Johns only displays real energy when he's writing events,the last 6 months have been filler,he doesn't care and it shows.

He didn't.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

i'm the #1 batman hater.

i know i'm #1, because i've never seen or heard of a batman hater other than me. until then, i say i hate batman the most.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

@thorson said:

@blackhawk000111 said:

@thorson said:

i'm the #1 batman hater.

i know i'm #1, because i've never seen or heard of a batman hater other than me. until then, i say i hate batman the most.

Why? Because he's popular?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving all the alchemists on here. I mean, why turn lead into gold when you can turn molehills into mountains!

Da dum dum tsk

blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

@blackhawk000111 said:

@thorson said:

i'm the #1 batman hater.

You must be living in cave.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He can't write Batman for sh!t.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

@blackhawk000111 said:

@thorson said:

i'm the #1 batman hater.

You must be living in cave.

not at all...i'm pretty active.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Just because Johns doesn't write the character in the way that some readers are more accustomed to doesn't mean he hates Batman.

Everyone knows that Batman is a jerk...an awesome hero, but a jerk nonetheless. So Johns picks up on that. It's not a revolutionary portrayal of the character by any means.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because Johns doesn't write the character in the way that some readers are more accustomed to doesn't mean he hates Batman.

Everyone knows that Batman is a jerk...an awesome hero, but a jerk nonetheless. So Johns picks up on that. It's not a revolutionary portrayal of the character by any means.

Rucka's Batman was the epitome of Batdouche, I dont see people hating on Rucka...I wonder why?

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, he does, Johns doesn't understand Batman at all and portray him as a douchebag. The Geoff's Batman is completely out of character.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some Batfanboys just don't like Batman being portrayed anything other than an unstoppable Bat god/.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Nope, he does, Johns doesn't understand Batman at all and portray him as a douchebag. The Geoff's Batman is completely out of character.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some Batfanboys just don't like Batman being portrayed anything other than an unstoppable Bat god/.

Not true.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@jaken7 said:

I'll post this for a third time. Have yet to be sufficiently countered.

There's also this key piece of dialogue from Forever Evil:

"You know, Batman's not so scary in the light. I mean, ever."

Oh, and this dialogue exchange from JL #30 is just a classic:

BATMAN: (referring to Lex Luthor) "He's an insect. But bats EAT insects." <--- Yes, he literally made Batman say that.

FLASH: "How long have you been waiting to say that? And do you have a little black book with badass Bat-comebacks in it? Never mind. I just checked."

Let's not forget that in Forever Evil, Batman needed to be saved from Copperhead...TWICE!

Oh, and the more Johns writes him, the more transparent he becomes. Take this user "ImTheDamnBatman" for example.

First, he made this thread where he thought all the Geoff Johns hate was silly, and that Johns wasn't biased about Batman at all:http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/why-do-people-say-geoff-johns-hates-batman-1535217/

Then 4 months later, the same user creates this thread where he completely bashes Johns for his mediocre portrayal of Batman:http://www.comicvine.com/batman/4005-1699/forums/so-i-finally-got-around-to-reading-forever-evil-1569527/

I would challenge anyone who doesn't believe Johns hates Batman to look at everything I just posted, and then tell me there isn't at least a precedent that's been set.

Exacly.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geoff Johns hates Batman(insert period here)

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rustyroy said:

@deathstroke52 said:

Not true.

Yes true, notice how I said "some" and not "all" I know quite a few people that do not like people Batman if he is not written as nearly unstoppable.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some people read too much into stuff....

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Gracetrack

Don't know if he hates him or loves him. What I do know is that he doesn't write him very well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.