Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Frank Miller vs Bruce Timm: The Ideal Batman

• 78 results
    ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Frank Miller vs Bruce Timm: The Ideal Batman (74 votes)

Frank Miller 18%
    Bruce Timm 85%

Which of these writers truly gave us the perfect interpretation of the Dark Knight?

or

• 
    HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy: I actually liked the Batman shown in the Justice League cartoons more than the one in TAS

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#52 frozen  Moderator

The only reason Timm is winning is because of nostalgia.

Miller's Batman in addition to the new DC Animated movies are much better portrayals than DCAU Batman.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bruce Timm

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@frozen said:

Miller's Batman in addition to the new DC Animated movies are much better portrayals than DCAU Batman.

Yeah but like I said Timm doesn't have ASBAR Or DKSA to his name.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55 frozen  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: True, but I simply ignore Miller from DSKA onwards. Nothing he writes or says can be taken seriously.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The Timm version is the perfect Batman but Miller's is much more entertaining due to its variations.

BB

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: People also call it Diniverse, because you know, he was the writer.

Dini didn't write most of the episodes of original BTAS, JL/JLU. Don't know why everyone thinks that. Timm was the man in charge of DCAU and only his art style was used in DCAU so it's rightfully Timmverse.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By silent_bomber

@frozen said:
    The Dark Knight Returns practically brought Batman back to #1.

This isn't actually true, Dark Knight Returns was a critical darling, but it did next to nothing for sales.

In an interview Alan Grant stated that he and John Wagner were brought onto Detective Comics in 1988 to try to save it because it was selling under the break even point at the time, they were not paid much but they could make extra royalties based on sales.

John Wagner left their partnership because sales were so low that they were getting paid next to nothing in royalties anyway, then a little under a year later the Tim Burton movie came out and according to Grant sales literally multiplied by more than a factor of 8.

Alan Grant was raking in the cash but John Wagner was kicking himself because he'd left!

Avatar image for perchance2dream
    Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: agreed. And his work with Tony S. Daniel was ace. No one else can draw Batman as consistently good imo. (Except the Neal Adams/Jim Aparo dream team, and their work on Brave and the Bold. Their art was fantastic, for the time, but suffered from limited technology-- as is obvious in the whole black/blue cape and cowl.)

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't think this is really a fair comparison. From what I understand Miller never intended The Dark Knight Returns to be any sort of cannon, so he wasn't portraying what he thought should be the ideal Batman. He had the chance to have some creative freedom with the character and he took it. That being said, I liked Miller's interpretation, but only as an Elseworlds version of the character. Timmverse for the win!

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rogueshadow  Moderator

Miller, it's not even close.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
    deactivated-5a60370ee1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: That's an excuse. Nostalgia doesn't play a part in it, maybe for some, but not all. If that was the case, then I'd like '89's Batman the most. The new Batman movies aren't that great either, excluding Under The Red Hood.

Timm simply because he had a lot of great writers, and Dini's Joker was by far the best onscreen Joker and was a huge amalgamation of all the comic-book Jokers. Batman was well written in almost all of the episodes, especially Perchance to Dream. Batman was nearly perfect in the some of the episodes, and was just like Batman from the eighties and nineties.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ganon15

Explain yourself

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
    deactivated-5a60370ee1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight Returns shouldn't be used as evidence for bringing back "grittiness and maturity", Denny O'Neil done that a little over a decade before Miller did. Timm's Batman is an amalgamation of all the ages of Batman, which includes what Miller done. Timm's Batman is the ideal representation of Batman in that regard.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 rogueshadow  Moderator

@ganon15 said:

@rogueshadow said:

Explain yourself

The Batman of Miller is simply a darker, richer and more complex character in my opinion, DCAU Bats was limited due to the fact it was primarily for children.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By dernman  Online

@cattlebattle said:

Bruce Timm, easy.

This

I may have had couple problems with particular things but Timm/Dini had me glued to the tv.

Frank Miller while I give him credit for his influence on making Batman darker in the main stream his Batman work leaves much to be desired.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: That's silly. Of course the show's primary target was children, but that just sounds like you're discrediting what the writers have accomplished with Batman in the DCAU. They had a clear vision for the character, ran with it, and continued to build upon it. Batman had hundreds of episodes to develop.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: That's silly. Of course the show's primary target was children, but that just sounds like you're discrediting what the writers have accomplished with Batman in the DCAU. They had a clear vision for the character, ran with it, and continued to build upon it. Batman had hundreds of episodes to develop.

No Caption Provided

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Burton

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

For me it is Timm.

I don't get this Morrison Hype, his Batman Comics are confusing and extrem hard to follow (and in my opinion didn't make much sense).

I take it you didn't start from the beginning? Morrison's run is all pretty much one huge overarcing storyline. It is complex, but when you start at beginning it isn't at all hard to follow imo. You sort of have to read the full story to appreciate what he was trying to do :P

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Aahz

@perchance2dream: No I read it completely from the beginning (or at least everything that was published in the Comics of the Batman family members, I don't read cross overs with the JLA members) and in my opinion RIP and this Black Glove and time travel stuff are a complete mess.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: if you read Final Crisis along woth the TPB "Time and the Batman" the time travel would make a lot more sense. As for the Black Glove, it seemed pretty straightforward to me: "super-secret, comic-book-villain-styled evil society tries to defeat Batman because they're evil." I thought that was more or less all that needed understanding. Lol

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Timmverse Batman is a much worked character because he had over 100+ episodes and paper stories to expend his personnality. Because he was ment for a children's show, he is a litte less dark and more humane than some other versions.

Miller made him very dark and spitfule. A less lovable one to my opinion. But authors went on with this Batman and made him evolve to a much friendlier Batman as Grant Morisson did in Batman Inc.

For me, I had more fun watching TAS than reading TDKR. And Miller work on Batman isn't perferct that's why people only talk about YO and TDKR, the other ones seems to have been forgotten.

Some of the best Batman stories I've read come from the Timmverse in The Batman Adventure v2.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@frozen said:

No, not for me at least. I was reading (or, more accurately, attempting to read) the Dark Knight Returns at the same time I was watching the Animated Series. I loved Timm's Bruce, I couldn't get through DKR.

To be fair, I really don't like dark stories too much, so that could be part of it.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is sad to see how Miller gets so much praise for something he didnt do.

Dennis ONeil, Mike W. Barr, Bob Haney, etc that in their own bring back tons of thins before Miller did anything.

He was part of the natural evolution of Batman as a character, a very important part, but not the most important and not the turning point.

The darker Silver Age were the reason why we got this Bronze Age.

So, yes Miller and Moore could do what they did thanks to the people before them, they didnt started a revolution, they were the poster boys.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Timm, not even a contest.

Avatar image for thesilentripper
    TheSilentRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait , so how does Paul Dini fits here?

He counts as Bruce Timm Team?

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Neither is the ideal Batman, but I generally enjoy Timm's animated series more than Miller's writing.

Though, if we compare the actual characters, Miller's Batman's forceful, no-holds-barred personality is much more entertaining. Timm's Batman could occasionally be quite bland.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zearing said:

@frozen said:

No, not for me at least. I was reading (or, more accurately, attempting to read) the Dark Knight Returns at the same time I was watching the Animated Series. I loved Timm's Bruce, I couldn't get through DKR.

To be fair, I really don't like dark stories too much, so that could be part of it.

To also be fair, Timm doesn't have anything close to as bad as All Star Batman and Robin and Dark Knight Strikes again. Saying he's only winning due to nostalgia is silly.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison's take by far. He was the most nuanced, and didn't fall into the "DARKNESS NO PARENTS" caricature that Miller's Batman, and eventually Timm's Batman became.

DrDebaucherous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miller's Batman is multifaceted, evolves past his traumas, takes in kids, just generally does Batman shit.

Timm's Batman was a conscious deconstruction of the character at first, though I'll concede that JLU puts a nice bow on the character arc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.