Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Frank Miller Does It Again.

• 65 results
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

“When people come out with movies about characters I’ve worked on, I always hate them,” he said. “I have my own ideas about what the characters are like. I mean, I can’t watch a Batman movie. I’ve seen pieces of them, but I generally think, No, that’s not him. And I walk out of the theater before it’s over.”

Crazy Steve?

Also did he watched The Spirit movie, he directed that one?

Yes, that includes Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight series. Indeed, “it includes all of them.”

“I’m not condemning what he does. I don’t even understand it, except that he seems to think he owns the title Dark Knight,” Miller laughed. “He’s about 20 years too late for that. It’s been used.”

Wow, so no one else can use The Dark Knight name?

"Batman and Superman are dead opposites. I love Superman. Do I love Batman more? They're not people. They're only lines on paper."

No Caption Provided

He must be trolling everybody.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't really be mad at him. He basically defined the batman we've had for the last 25 years before new 52 and it sounds like he's joking for some one that. I can excuse whatever he says there because of all he's done. He doesn't like batman movies because they don't give an accurate depiction of him from comics. One of the best batman writers ever is allowed to say that, although he should realize TDK trilogy doesn't try to be comic Batman

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Can't really be mad at him. He basically defined the batman we've had for the last 25 years before new 52 and it sounds like he's joking for some one that. I can excuse whatever he says there because of all he's done. He doesn't like batman movies because they don't give an accurate depiction of him from comics. One of the best batman writers ever is allowed to say that, although he should realize TDK trilogy doesn't try to be comic Batman

Its sound exactly like Alan Moore and the whole, my baby was taking by a gypsie thing.

I cant believe they arent trolling me.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@jayc1324 said:

Um no that's not the point,he's saying "its not MY Batman,even though it uses TDK name" he's bonkers at this point. He's also indirectly implying that he created Batman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: 1. He could be joking

2. So? He did kind of "create" the bronze age batman. Year one. The dark knight returns. Set the tone for that entire era. The batman we had before new 52 started came from his stories and ideas.

Also the statement you out in quotes is a true statement.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@entropy_aegis: 1. He could be joking

2. So? He did kind of "create" the bronze age batman. Year one. The dark knight returns. Set the tone for that entire era. The batman we had before new 52 started came from his stories and ideas.

1. Not really.

2. Um O'Neal wrote BA Batman,Frank created Post-Crisis Batman and lets be honest his work was experimental,it was the others who perfected it. Had he been allowed,Frank would have destroyed Batman just as fast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I don't see how stories like TDKR and year one would have destroyed batman. I said Frank Miller "created" and inspired everything about BA batman, not that he wrote him. But what was written probably would have been different without miller. I really don't find anything he said to be wrong.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy is insane.

Beata

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonez_

Frank Miller, oh how you've changed.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis

@jayc1324 said:

@entropy_aegis: I don't see how stories like TDKR and year one would have destroyed batman. I said Frank Miller "created" and inspired everything about BA batman, not that he wrote him. But what was written probably would have been different without miller. I really don't find anything he said to be wrong.

How about TDKSA and All-Star? he's wrong because he's giving the impression that IF YOU MAKE A BATMAN MOVIE,YOU BETTER ADHERE TO HIS VISION.

How could Miller create BA Batman?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

A person cannot be mad at him when we know more than well what he's like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: So he's cocky and arrogant. So what. His version was quite a good version anyway. TDKSA was a joke on purpose and so was all star. No one should take those seriously, or as a testament to his skill

And year one.

No reason to get so upset at him over one little thing he said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I guess writing TDKR and year one makes you insane...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Wolverine008
    No Caption Provided

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@jayc1324 said:

This.Miller is Legend

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So basically, he says what most comic fans here seem to say: "It's not like my interpretation of the character, therefore it's crap."

At least, he said that it was subjective unlike some people here...

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most surprising thing I read here is that Miller's likes Superman, genuinely surprised about that

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“I’m not condemning what he does. I don’t even understand it, except that he seems to think he owns the title Dark Knight,” Miller laughed. “He’s about 20 years too late for that. It’s been used.”

What?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@playswithsquirrels: He's saying that he owns the title "the dark knight" because he titled the best batman story ever with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I know what he meant, it was just a ridiculous statement.

JonnytheWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By JonnytheWolf

@playswithsquirrels: I don't think it's too ridiculous if it wasn't used before that. It's a very specific phrase that has now become synonymous with Batman. If Miller coined that phrase then he has a right to being put off if Nolan is claiming it's his ( though I don't know if that has even happened).

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
    TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@playswithsquirrels: I don't think it's too ridiculous if it wasn't used before that. It's a very specific phrase that has now become synonymous with Batman. If Miller coined that phrase then he has a right to being put off if Nolan is claiming it's his ( though I don't know if that has even happened).

Nolan never say it, its just that people knows more Nolan work that Miller work, for the same The Dark Knight end with people thinking on Nolan.

@jayc1324 said:

But I guess writing TDKR and year one makes you insane...

No, but how he acts and what he says does.

He said pretty much that kids should join the army, the left wing controls comics books and several thins that make you think he is insane.

Beside his feud with Alan Moore on politics.

Did you rememeber he try to use Batman to face the Islam, not terrorism in general.

Everybody’s been too damn polite about this nonsense:

The “Occupy” movement, whether displaying itself on Wall Street or in the streets of Oakland (which has, with unspeakable cowardice, embraced it) is anything but an exercise of our blessed First Amendment. “Occupy” is nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness. These clowns can do nothing but harm America.

“Occupy” is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly-expressed attempt at anarchy, to the extent that the “movement” – HAH! Some “movement”, except if the word “bowel” is attached - is anything more than an ugly fashion statement by a bunch of iPhone, iPad wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves.

This is no popular uprising. This is garbage. And goodness knows they’re spewing their garbage – both politically and physically – every which way they can find.

Wake up, pond scum. America is at war against a ruthless enemy.

Maybe, between bouts of self-pity and all the other tasty tidbits of narcissism you’ve been served up in your sheltered, comfy little worlds, you’ve heard terms like al-Qaeda and Islamicism.

And this enemy of mine — not of yours, apparently - must be getting a dark chuckle, if not an outright horselaugh - out of your vain, childish, self-destructive spectacle.

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas’ basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft.

Or better yet, enlist for the real thing. Maybe our military could whip some of you into shape.

They might not let you babies keep your iPhones, though. Try to soldier on.

@maccyd said:

So basically, he says what most comic fans here seem to say: "It's not like my interpretation of the character, therefore it's crap."

At least, he said that it was subjective unlike some people here...

Not only about Batman, he said all the characters he worked on.

This means he has this problem with Hugh Jackman Wolverine.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Basically confirms what I've always thought

Frank Miller is kind of a douchebag

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Why do these writers (Moore and Miller) hate so much when they see their work is so revered that it ends up becoming so synonymous with the character they worked on, that it gets adapted into film where you obviously have a great many artists working on the same idea? If someone makes a movie out of something I write I'd be happy to see my work is so appreciated instead of being a pompous jerk.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Why do these writers (Moore and Miller) hate so much when they see their work is so revered that it ends up becoming so synonymous with the character they worked on, that it gets adapted into film where you obviously have a great many artists working on the same idea? If someone makes a movie out of something I write I'd be happy to see my work is so appreciated instead of being a pompous jerk.

This

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh Frank how i wish you would return to how you where before you went crazy

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@sog7dc said:

Well in the case of Moore, he specifically made the stories for comics and the movies completely miss the point.

BB

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By entropy_aegis

@jayc1324 said:

@entropy_aegis: So he's cocky and arrogant. So what. His version was quite a good version anyway. TDKSA was a joke on purpose and so was all star. No one should take those seriously, or as a testament to his skill

And year one.

No TDKSA was not a joke and neither was All-Star,where are you getting this from? TDKSA was marketed as the sequel to TDKR,do you consider TDKR to be a joke? and he's been writing like this for years,yes that's exactly his skill these days.

He's saying stupid crap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: the superman and wonder woman thing in TDKSA was a joke.

All star was filled with funny stuff on purpose. Miller does all that ridiculous stuff on purpose.

When he's not messing around he writes amazingly.

Avatar image for tenebrous_guile
    Tenebrous_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tenebrous_Guile

Frank Miller is a troglodyte who's fallen so far from his peak that there are cracks on the floor. He posts islamophobic trash as published fiction, his idea of women is downright medieval, and his all star batman and robin line was a character assassinating joke.

He's not worth your time or your money.

@jayc1324 said:

All star was filled with funny stuff on purpose. Miller does all that ridiculous stuff on purpose.

Prove it.

Also

He made this racist piece of trash.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Prove it,the stuff wasn't funny,it was so bad it just made you laugh,there's a difference between that and actual comedy.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Oh, man.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank Miller is a troglodyte who's fallen so far from his peak that there are cracks on the floor. He posts islamophobic trash as published fiction, his idea of women is downright medieval, and his all star batman and robin line was a character assassinating joke.

@jayc1324 said:

Prove it.

Also

That isnt a joke.

Maybe, between bouts of self-pity and all the other tasty tidbits of narcissism you’ve been served up in your sheltered, comfy little worlds, you’ve heard terms like al-Qaeda and Islamicism.

And this enemy of mine — not of yours, apparently - must be getting a dark chuckle, if not an outright horselaugh - out of your vain, childish, self-destructive spectacle.

3000 of my neighbors were murdered. My country was, utterly unprovoked, savagely attacked. I wish all those responsible for the Atrocity of 9/11 to burn in hell.

I’m too old to serve my country in any other way. Otherwise, I’d gladly be pulling the trigger myself.

Burn in hell?, oh Frank old chump, you say there is no god, how could some one burn in hell?

Tenebrous_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tenebrous_Guile

@tenebrous_guile said:

@jayc1324 said:

Prove it.

Also

That isnt a joke.

3000 of my neighbors were murdered. My country was, utterly unprovoked, savagely attacked. I wish all those responsible for the Atrocity of 9/11 to burn in hell.

I’m too old to serve my country in any other way. Otherwise, I’d gladly be pulling the trigger myself.

Burn in hell?, oh Frank old chump, you say there is no god, how could some one burn in hell?

Are you commending it or condemning it?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got the Frank Miller Daredevil Omnibus the other day.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenebrous_guile: I just post quotes that show his Islamophobia.

To show he isnt joking.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jayc1324 said:

And year one.

No TDKSA was not a joke and neither was All-Star,where are you getting this from? TDKSA was marketed as the sequel to TDKR,do you consider TDKR to be a joke? and he's been writing like this for years,yes that's exactly his skill these days.

He's saying stupid crap.

The only straight up Miller Batman story is Year One. Everything has satire in them in them, even DKR.

BB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenebrous_guile: @entropy_aegis: Superman and wonder woman's relationship was a joke. He made it so ridiculous to show people how stupid it is.

Everything that happened in all star was a joke. Batman painting the room yellow, all the goddamn batman stuff, its funny.

His stories like to make fun of stuff a lot, just try to enjoy them.

Tenebrous_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@tenebrous_guile: @entropy_aegis: Superman and wonder woman's relationship was a joke. He made it so ridiculous to show people how stupid it is.

Everything that happened in all star was a joke. Batman painting the room yellow, all the goddamn batman stuff, its funny.

His stories like to make fun of stuff a lot, just try to enjoy them.

Give me quotes, interviews, *any* evidence to show that this is the case.

And please, try to explain his blatant racism up there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenebrous_guile: he himself said that's why he did it.

I didn't read that racist story you mentioned. What's wrong with it?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Yup, All-Star was meant to be Batman's paranoia taken to an extreme. He thought taking it up to 10 wouldn't stand out in comics, so he took it up to 12. It's basically a caricature of Batman.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Besides the fact its racist,its poorly made, islamophobic and its everything that is wrong with right wing tea party conservatives.

Nothing.

Tenebrous_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

He said she said, quotes, now.

How about everything?

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#48  Edited By Nerd Of A Hero

Uh-huh. It's just his ego speaking out and can't except the fact that the characters - like Batman and so many other characters - that he previously worked could actually be told by other writers and artist with newer stories and/or building more characterization involving that character within that world and/or mythos. Case in point : Nolan's Batman, Superman, Spider-man, and even the recent RoboCop film. Just pay no attention to him.

Edit#

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Did he seriously say that he likes Superman?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenebrous_guile: its not he said she said, its what frank miller said. I'm not gonna go researching the internet to find quotes but TFKSA was entirely a social commentary, satire, a joke. 9/11 had just happened when he was writing it and then in the book and showed how america responds to tragedy and destruction and stuff like that, even in TDKR a lot of it reflects America and how it truly is. If you can't see that then you don't understand frank millers work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.