Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Forgotten Batman Characters

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

So I just want to say I am big on Batman's family because they bring out so many interesting facets of Batman himself. But there are just some characters that authors (I feel) have been neglecting. And I am not talking about Black Bat or Spoiler, since it is obvious its DC that hates those characters and not in the writers' control.

But what about these characters?

Red Robin - Tim Drake has been an integral part of the Bat Family for the majority of the past 20 years, and if I can say I honestly think he loves Batman more than any other character besides maybe Alfred. So why is DC treating him as a peripheral character? Sure they are making him lead the Teen Titans but even then, its not a very good comic being written...

Nightrunner - One of the coolest (and for some weird reason, controversial) characters introduced for Batman Inc. Aaaand he has yet to really show up. He still exists in DCnU because they have showed him in Batman Inc #0, but besides that he has not shown up at all...While we have the white characters getting the focus (Wingman, the Hood, etc.)

The Huntress - So they just made her back to her original Origin pre-crisis kinda. She's Bruce's daughter from another universe. There is soooo much potential with that! She's been around for what 5 years now, and she is being treated to an aweful story and as if some character that hasn't ever associated with the Bat Family...

Azrael - So like it or not he has totally been a key figure and member of the Bat Family since Knightfall. But DC seems to have deleted him out of existance since they whited him out in Batwoman #2. So does that mean he is getting the same treatment as spoiler and black bat?

Renee Montoya - She did appear in Batwoman #2 as the Question...but is she dead?

The Creeper and the Outsiders - They were Batman's OG team, and I am sure Batman wouldn't ever give them up just like that. So ya some of them show up in Birds of Prey and Batman Inc. But will they get their own book again?

Can you think of any reasons why these characters are being mistreated? And any hope for them? Oh and any other characters do you feel can get better treatment from DC?

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CalebHara

I would say Prometheus, but he's now coming back to make the JL look bad again.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Loki9876

@CalebHara: Is prometheus coming back in JL? It's funny causeI said to someone I wanted this to happen.

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CalebHara

@Loki9876: well its not a guarantee, but in Prometheus "faces of Evil" Martian Manhunter dies and he is released from his mental prison, he kills numerous guards, and figures out that someone took up his mantle, he kills a bunch of people to get to him, kills him and then realizes near the end of the comic that with MMH's death, the Justice League would absolutely never see him coming. PROMETHEUS IS COMIN BACK BABY!!!!!!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmashBrawler

@CalebHara said:

@Loki9876: well its not a guarantee, but in Prometheus "faces of Evil" Martian Manhunter dies and he is released from his mental prison, he kills numerous guards, and figures out that someone took up his mantle, he kills a bunch of people to get to him, kills him and then realizes near the end of the comic that with MMH's death, the Justice League would absolutely never see him coming. PROMETHEUS IS COMIN BACK BABY!!!!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, because I'd like to see Prom return as well, but that special is quite old. What happens next is Cry for Justice, where Prometheus dies, and then Flashpoint probably erased him from existence.

However, that also erased his death from existence, so it would be great if someone bringed him back.

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CalebHara

@SmashBrawler said:

@CalebHara said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, because I'd like to see Prom return as well, but that special is quite old. What happens next is Cry for Justice, where Prometheus dies, and then Flashpoint probably erased him from existence.

However, that also erased his death from existence, so it would be great if someone bringed him back.

Well shit, i had no idea, he better come back in new 52 though, it would be really cool, as long as they don't screw him up

Looks like i have to step my fact game up

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrimsonCake

Baby Doll.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmashBrawler

@CalebHara said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@CalebHara said:

Well shit, i had no idea, he better come back in new 52 though, it would be really cool, as long as they don't screw him up

Looks like i have to step my fact game up

Those are the key words here.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Onemoreposter

I miss JPV.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By batshrine

@Onemoreposter: Agreed, but I also don't think they should bring him back. We have an Azrael, lets use him!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twentyfive

Whether or not you want her as the Question, Montoya is too good of a character to have been treated the way she was by the editors at DC.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onemoreposter

@batshrine said:

@Onemoreposter: Agreed, but I also don't think they should bring him back. We have an Azrael, lets use him!

Eh, I picked up a handful of issues from the Lane ongoing series when it first started. It felt forced. Morrison had established Lane not only as a villain, but as a particularly sadistic one, who would CONTINUE to be such a villain as we saw in Batman 666 ( I realize this was only a possible future, but it was a very real possibility, as further established in Batman Inc). Then, some other writer/creative team took the character and pretty much wiped everything about him and decided to make him "Azrael" with a heavy handed retcon to the Azrael mantel as well as Lanes overall disposition. Wasn't awful I guess. Wasn't great either.

For me it's JPV or bust. He was a great character with years of development and was popular enough to maintain an ongoing for 100 issues. If they don't use the opportunity of the recent reboot to bring him back then it is truly, a wasted opportunity.

Plus, if DC deems to keep Lane on the heroic side, there's no reason he can't still be around doing his own thing. However, with over a year with out word on the character, and other far more important characters yet to be seen as well, I think it's safe to say that Lane really isn't a priority for DC. I'd also argue that Valley has a larger and potentially more dedicated fan base. We even saw in Batman Arkham City, an Azrael FAR closer to the JPV version. He was Lane really in name only.

But we shall see what happens.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

apparently the outsiders will be returning in Katana's solo series so there's bittersweet news. and we dont even know who will be on the team.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Azrael is cool! hope to see more of him!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sinestro_GL

Condiment King?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightrunner was a cool idea, i mean he was way more interesting that El Bunker (Who is a plain character) and had bigger chances to get bigger and more tridimensional.

Still, people got insane because he has a religion that if you say it people will go insane.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By batshrine

@DeathpooltheT1000: The funny part is you'd think controversy would attract more readers? To be honest I am speculating the reason why Nightrunner isn't used much is cause Grant Morrison didn't create him, so therefore not gonna be used.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batshrine: Well comic book reader dont work like tv watchers, i mean Archie sold more with smart comic books that controversial ones and the problem of usin controversy as a selling plan, is that sooner or later it backfires.

God curse Grant Morrison.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By consolemaster001

@Twentyfive: Vic will always be the question

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Twentyfive

@consolemaster001: I agree. What I am saying is that Montoya is too good to have been scrapped like that.

I am in favor of Vic being the Question because (and there is no really non-sexist way to say this) it is a role better suited for a man. Just my opinion, though.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By batshrine

@Twentyfive: So I love Montoya, and Vic is obviously the preferred Question cause he is the original one! But ya you did sound sexist cause that statement was a sexist statement. I am sure you didn't mean to sound that way, so please elaborate?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Twentyfive

@batshrine: Well, the Question seems like a paranoid, obsessive type, and I don't think it quite fits for a character like Montoya to be like that. Just my opinion.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By batshrine

@Twentyfive: lol he wasn't really that way until JLU made him that way and modeled him off of Rorschach (which is ironic cause Rorschach is modeled off of the Question). And after all the things Montoya went through, she could easily evolve to becoming paranoid

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.