Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Forever Evil #5-Spoilers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

This issue was great until Johns got his hands on Batman again. Just like in rebirth he makes batman a petulant child. totally out of character writing and just a bad portrayal. Idk if Johns doesnt like Batman or if he just doesnt comprehend who the character is but this is just awful.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sinestro_GL

Batman's been through a lot. JL is 'killed', Dick is captured, World is under siege, and suddenly Lex is a good guy. Bruce is simultaneously thinking FML and WTF.

I can understand if he's out of character.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl:

the thing that makes him awesome though is that bruce is the guy that is a stategist supreme and always calm under pressure. his pragmatism is one of THE biggest parts of his character.....but johns strips that away everytime he writes him

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Its a mystery, he needs to be relieved from writing anything concerning Batman. Or Bats has to be removed from the story John's writing cause its not working out.

Avatar image for patrickborkland
    patrickborkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a HUGE fan of batman, but honestly it was only in there for a small "Ha" moment and not to be taken seriously, it's not a big deal. Like someone said above, the world is taken over, the JL is presumed dead and Nightwing is captured, he's got a lot on his plate right now, Batman or not that's a lot for anyone. Plus, like I said, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I'm a HUGE fan of batman, but honestly it was only in there for a small "Ha" moment and not to be taken seriously, it's not a big deal. Like someone said above, the world is taken over, the JL is presumed dead and Nightwing is captured, he's got a lot on his plate right now, Batman or not that's a lot for anyone. Plus, like I said, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously

Everything is serious, THIS IS COMIC BOOKS!!!!

Avatar image for patrickborkland
    patrickborkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: haha well I do agree what you said about Johns handling Batman's character.... It's like he's got no respect for the guy

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When catwoman said the line about the villains being in charge i wanted to smash about 400 brand new flat screen tvs

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queencorp15: you angry as I cause im thinking the same thing

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickborkland said:

Everything is serious, THIS IS COMIC BOOKS!!!!

its all opinion and perspective. I just view johns' character assassination....I kid....johns' characterization of bruce is almost always 100% off

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis

The joke has gotten old and played out,it's simply not funny any more.Why the heck isn't Sinestro on the receiving end of these jokes? It's always Batman.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TDK_1997

I cannot take that moment seriously because simply even if Batman still thinks that the League is dead,the world has been taken over by an evil Justice League counterpats from another Earth and that Dick is in big danger he would still act right even though inside he would be really pissed,annoyed and sad about the situation and he would never had such a dialogue with Luthor.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: @entropy_aegis: @tdk_1997: Johns got another issue to mock Batman lol. I imagine something like Lex giving orders and then Bats ruining their mission cause he doesn't agree with Lex.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@bigcimmerian: I think two things can happen:1.Batman being led by Luthor and he will whine like a baby the whole time or 2.He will ruin their mission or if something goes wrong he would say ''Told ya,I had to be the leader.I am the best of all of the leaders.''

Dzeytoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dzeytoun

As others have said, it's only a small moment and understandable considering the situation. Plus, let's look at what's been going on in Batman's own life. Within the timeframe of the DCnU, it's been less than a year since Damian's death. So he has lost his biological son, had a reconciliation with another estranged "son" (whatever Jason is in the New 52) and then promptly had a massive break with him, and now his oldest (and favorite) "child" is in the hands of murderous thugs. In addition, in Bruce's own estimation said "child's" life is now ruined due to his unmasking and Bruce regards all this as his fault.

So, yeah, I can see how he wouldn't be hitting on all cylinders at the moment.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dzeytoun:

But the thing about batman, his superpower if you will, is that he is never shaken. That he is always firing on all cylinders. Like with the white Martians, during RIP. During DOTF I could go on for days. Batman does not behave that way as he did in FE #5.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bigcimmerian

@dzeytoun said:

As others have said, it's only a small moment and understandable considering the situation. Plus, let's look at what's been going on in Batman's own life. Within the timeframe of the DCnU, it's been less than a year since Damian's death. So he has lost his biological son, had a reconciliation with another estranged "son" (whatever Jason is in the New 52) and then promptly had a massive break with him, and now his oldest (and favorite) "child" is in the hands of murderous thugs. In addition, in Bruce's own estimation said "child's" life is now ruined due to his unmasking and Bruce regards all this as his fault.

But..but he's the BATMAN!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dzeytoun said:

I dont understand why you guys are bringing up Damian,Jason etc. Johns himself has given no hint of this whatsoever.

Dzeytoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@dzeytoun:

But the thing about batman, his superpower if you will, is that he is never shaken. That he is always firing on all cylinders. Like with the white Martians, during RIP. During DOTF I could go on for days. Batman does not behave that way as he did in FE #5.

Except at the end of Batman Inc., when he picks up a sword and goes to fight Talia, forgetting that she has probably developed new poisons since last they tangled, only being saved by the intervention of a Spyral Agent. And that was written by Morrison, scarcely an enemy of Batman. Or how he then spent the next several issues of the Bat books going crazy in various creative ways. And the main story of that was written by Tomasi, once again scarcely an enemy of the character. Or how he seems to miss that, gee, the members of his family might kinda want to know that the Joker might know their identities, even if Batman himself thinks it's all probably not true. And that was Snyder, the main Batman writer, who has said that Batman needs to learn things about the mistakes he made during that arc. All of that within the past year or so. No, Batman has never, ever had any such "superpower." He is only human, which is the most interesting part of his character. He has no superpowers. He is not a god. He is better than most at most things, but has flaws and is perfectly capable of making mistakes. And no, it isn't just Johns who sees him that way.

Dzeytoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dzeytoun said:

I dont understand why you guys are bringing up Damian,Jason etc. Johns himself has given no hint of this whatsoever.

If continuity and a shared universe have any meaning at all, then events that have taken place within the past year are perfectly relevant. If they don't, well, then any discussion of characterization is useless, sense there is no character without continuity.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dzeytoun said:

@sog7dc said:

@dzeytoun:

Except at the end of Batman Inc., when he picks up a sword and goes to fight Talia, forgetting that she has probably developed new poisons since last they tangled, only being saved by the intervention of a Spyral Agent. And that was written by Morrison, scarcely an enemy of Batman. Or how he then spent the next several issues of the Bat books going crazy in various creative ways. And the main story of that was written by Tomasi, once again scarcely an enemy of the character. Or how he seems to miss that, gee, the members of his family might kinda want to know that the Joker might know their identities, even if Batman himself thinks it's all probably not true. And that was Snyder, the main Batman writer, who has said that Batman needs to learn things about the mistakes he made during that arc. All of that within the past year or so. No, Batman has never, ever had any such "superpower." He is only human, which is the most interesting part of his character. He has no superpowers. He is not a god. He is better than most at most things, but has flaws and is perfectly capable of making mistakes. And no, it isn't just Johns who sees him that way.

I don't think you undertoo what I meant....I didn't mean he actually has a superpower I meat his greatest asset is that he is always in control of his emotion and he is always prepared. even when he stood against darkseid at least twice,

the group of white martians that had the entire jl beat, or when morrison wrote about the black hand and batman was ready for that and when batman went up against hush he was prepared (in the way of not being overwhelmed) or when batman wouldn’t even crack when he was drugged and tortured for days in COO I could go on and on. my issue with what johns did is that he took what is supposed to be one of the most brilliant, strategically tuned and pragmatic minds and made him a whiny kid. aa guy as smart as bruce would yell at a room full of people who all have the ability to snap him like a twig and say “im in charge. you do what I say” that is bad characterization of batman…..its like joker doing something for money….its just bad…..that’s my opinion yes but this whole thread is obviously subjective

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dzeytoun said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@dzeytoun said:

If continuity and a shared universe have any meaning at all, then events that have taken place within the past year are perfectly relevant. If they don't, well, then any discussion of characterization is useless, sense there is no character without continuity.

You think Johns gives a damn about continuity?

@dzeytoun said:

@sog7dc said:

@dzeytoun:

And last I checked everyone disliked that arc in Batman and Robin due to Bruce being horribly OOC but Tomasi was atleast trying to make a point,his Batman isn't like that usually, Johns Batman sucks every single time. I also cant believe you just compared this with INC,Bruce didn't act like a moron,Talia simply outsmarted him and in a genuinely impressive way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.