Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

First Batman Comics

WBLer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WBLer

Hey so which comics would you guys recommend to someone who loved watching batman as a little kid and loves all the new movies, and batman in general, but has never really read any of the comics? I have tried to research which comics to start on, but it is such a tangled mess of different universes and and storylines and alternate characters that I get completely lost. Which comic line would you recommend I start with? And just by the way, as of now, not having read any of the comics, I think I'm mostly into the original, Bruce Wayne, parents died, protect gotham, Joker type batman. Just not original like the way old fashioned cheesy way. Basically I'm not sure I'd be ready for all the alternate universes and realities and branching storylines yet. I'd also like to know what you think about some of these newer batman comics for beginners. Thanks in advance to all replies! :)

P.S.

The dccomics website says that they recommend starting out with Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls. What do you guys think about this?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Twentyfive

The Long Halloween.

Dark Knight Returns (I hate that one though)

Killing Joke for sure

but THE most important Batman book is Year One. Never skip that one for any other bat book.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By sj_esposito

@WBLer said:

Hey so which comics would you guys recommend to someone who loved watching batman as a little kid and loves all the new movies, and batman in general, but has never really read any of the comics? I have tried to research which comics to start on, but it is such a tangled mess of different universes and and storylines and alternate characters that I get completely lost. Which comic line would you recommend I start with? And just by the way, as of now, not having read any of the comics, I think I'm mostly into the original, Bruce Wayne, parents died, protect gotham, Joker type batman. Just not original like the way old fashioned cheesy way. Basically I'm not sure I'd be ready for all the alternate universes and realities and branching storylines yet. I'd also like to know what you think about some of these newer batman comics for beginners. Thanks in advance to all replies! :)

P.S.

The dccomics website says that they recommend starting out with Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls. What do you guys think about this?

I suppose you could start with The Court of Owls--this is really the whole reason why DC did the whole 'New 52' thing to begin with--however, I think any new fan would be better served reading the origin stories that all of us seasoned Batfans covet so much: Year One and then The Long Halloween. If anyone tells you to start with The Dark Knight Returns, ignore them; the story has its merits--though I think its overrated--but its not the place to start. Once you get through Year One and The Long Halloween, move on to Dark Victory, follow that with The Man Who Laughs and The Killing Joke.

Those 4 that I've stated above are generally accepted as classics and must-reads. After reading them, you'll have a clear understanding of Batman, Gotham City, Bruce Wayne, Joker, the other rogues, etc.. Enjoy!

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By renamed040924

First things first: DON'T start with The Dark Knight Returns. That's basically a story about an aged Bruce Wayne kicking ass in the future, basically the complete opposite of what you're looking for.

Year One I agree, is the first one to check out.

Long Halloween is also super, if you like Two-Face.

After Long Halloween, Dark Victory is your book.

Then finally, the man himself; Joker. The Man Who Laughs and The Killing Joke in that order.

Basically, everything Esposito said.

Everything listed so far can be found in a collection at any comicbook store. If you like, you can jump into the monthly single issues as well once you get adjusted.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Zomboid

For new readers I always suggest the following, in this order:

Year One

Long Halloween

Dark Victory

The Killing Joke

That list gives a good start and taste for early Bruce Wayne stories, and they're all spectacular books.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Twentyfive said:

The Long Halloween.

Dark Knight Returns (I hate that one though)

Killing Joke for sure

but THE most important Batman book is Year One. Never skip that one for any other bat book.

This. But if you are continuing Year One with the Long Halloween, it's best to finish the "Year one Trilogy" with Dark Victory.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

I suggest starting with Year One, then going into The Court of Owls Story Arc, that's excellent.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a3a4af65feb1
    deactivated-5a3a4af65feb1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest The Batman Chronicles Vol. 1. It has the first Batman from Detective Comics issue 27 to issue 38, or at least I think. The problem with this book is that there is a bunch of others.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Cavemold

After year one I would say The man who laughs is pretty important !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.