Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Favorite Comic Runs RESULTS: Jeph Loeb's THE LONG HALLOWEEN vs. HUSH

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Holiday Killer or the foe striking at Batman from the shadows? Jeph Loeb worked with Tim Sale to create THE LONG HALLOWEEN and he collaborated with Jim Lee to produce HUSH. Both are mysteries that every Batman fan should experience at least once, and, this week, we asked you all to think about these two storylines. Which do you prefer and why? Are you not a fan of either story? Or perhaps you can't choose and love both of them? The crowd has given it a proper amount of thought and decided to grant a narrow lead to...

HUSH.

No Caption Provided

This was a very close race. Loeb and Lee's tale received 40% of the votes, and the writer's work with Sale earned a respectable 37%. 17% said they love both and only 1% admitted they aren't a fan of either option. 6% shamefully confessed they have't read either story. What gives? If you're a Batman fan, you should make it a goal to read these.

At the end of the day, both are of these are detective stories which manage to implement a whole lot of characters from Batman's world in a very entertaining manner. THE LONG HALLOWEEN is more focused on Gotham's crime element and Two-Face/James Gordon, while HUSH has a greater variety of cameos and is absolutely loaded with action. They have more than a few parallels, but some key differences in the narrative -- and not to mention the artwork -- allow them to feel like very different experiences. And the best part of all? Both are very new reader friendly, too.

Let's see what some Viners have to say about the two options.

mak13131313

"Tough decision. Both are great stories but, I choose Hush for the art."

GraniteSoldier

"Hush is better for me. I like the Hush villain, and I like that it wove a tale taking Batman for a mystery from Gotham to Metropolis and back again. It is not without it's flaws, and it is by no means a "revolutionary" piece for the Batman story, but it is more fun to read and feels like a true Batman-style detective story. The dynamic between Bruce and Selina was great, and Hush has better art in my opinion. It's not my favorite Bat-story, but of these two it is my more favorite."

No Caption Provided

LyraFay

"I like both of them, Long Halloween is fantastic and true Batman the world's greatest detective story with glorious twists and turns. Hush on the other hand was a great first time read (it was the first one I ever read.) But it also shows the familiar Batman that appears in media (good or bad depending on your point of view.) But both have the great interactions between characters and art."

Overlander

"I loved Hush. The story was phenomenally paced, full of interesting turns, great character moments, and spectacular Jim Lee art. It was the whole modern comics package."

No Caption Provided

McBig

"Wow this is by far the hardest one. Both are so amazing but Long Halloween was the first Batman story I ever read and love it so much because of the Harvey Dent stuff."

herrweis

"Without a doubt the long Halloween. Hush was all about Jim lee's art. Tlh was a good mystery and Tim sales art complimented the story rather than overshadow it."

No Caption Provided

manwithoutshame

"Long Halloween for me. It's Tim Sale's defining work, Batman lurking in the shadows where he belongs, unraveling a mystery with no shortage of suspects. I've read it time and again and always enjoyed it. It's not perfect, with most of the shortcomings being due on Loeb's end, but even he elevates his game for the greatness that is the Long Halloween.

Hush on the other hand, is a flashy cameo-fest with a bunch of rain, gnashed teeth, pectoral muscles, and yawn-inducing plot twists."

Reignmaker

"I vote Halloween.

I read the Long Halloween first (and I believe it came out first). Many of Loeb's subsequent Batman stories sort of followed the same mystery template where a confused Batman is rotating from villain to villain as he slowly unravels the truth. It was more magical for me the first time around so I put Halloween at the top. Hush also felt like more of a platform to showcase Jim Lee's art than tell an intricate story. You can also see the ending coming a mile away, whereas the last few pages of Halloween genuinely surprised me."

No Caption Provided

That's it for this week, Viners! Be sure to check the homepage on Monday for a brand new edition of this segment. In the meantime, go ahead and tell us your favorite moment from these stories. If it's a big spoiler, please be sure to use the appropriate spoiler tags! Do you want to suggest a future match-up for this segment? Tell us below or via twitter.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MuyJingo

Twist!

Really didn't expect Hush to take the lead.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    No Caption Provided

_Linea_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Siriusly?

Outsethero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Loading Video...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Great stories.
    Dark Victory too.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually wanted Long Halloween to win. I thought it was a better story overall.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jphu8414

Very close results, these are both two great stories so I'm not surprised

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By DrellAssassin

Love both stories, but I can't stand Sale's art, especially compared to Jim Lee's. Hush gets the win for me.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Netshyster

Goes to show you that people just don't have any taste.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PunyParker

Why?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 k4tzm4n  Moderator

And insulting everyone that doesn't share your opinion is tasteful? ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush is the best.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I'll have to read Hush, then

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I think this should go to show that these are two great Batman stories, rather than hating on the results or people who voted differently. There's no denying Batman has had many of the greatest stories in comics.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this should go to show that these are two great Batman stories, rather than hating on the results or people who voted differently. There's no denying Batman has had many of the greatest stories in comics.

Yes.

Double yes.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tupiaz

@punyparker said:

@netshyster said:

Why?

Because Hush is the most unreliable and unrealistic character in superhero comic history. I believe it is more realistic Superman will reveal him self tomorrow than we will see a Hush character.

@amazingwebhead said:

You don't really have to. It doesn't add anything to the Batman mythos (even though it tries) it is a good popcorn comic with the action and the art but nothing more than that.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted the Long Halloween, and am happy to see they were close. The only thing I'm upset about is that 1%. What's your deal?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@punyparker said:

@netshyster said:

Why?

Because Hush is the most unreliable and unrealistic character in Superhero comic history. I believe it is more realistic Superman will reveal him self tomorrow than we will see a Hush character.

I like Hush and his personal relationship to Bruce.
    I guess we disagree.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@k4tzm4n said:

@netshyster said:

And insulting everyone that doesn't share your opinion is tasteful? ;)

Exactly. And thanks for mentioning me!

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Hush is fantastic. I have, sadly, yet to read The Long Halloween.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Cool my comment was on there!! :) Thanks Greg!!

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@punyparker said:

@netshyster said:

Why?

Because Hush is the most unreliable and unrealistic character in Superhero comic history. I believe it is more realistic Superman will reveal him self tomorrow than we will see a Hush character.

I like Hush and his personal relationship to Bruce.

I guess we disagree.

What relationship? Mind blowing unrealistic jealousy? The relationship is as hollow and cheesy as they get in comics. There is no depth, no real or believable emotions. I really have a hard time to see what there is to get here.

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TLH: Much better story, hush has a nice showcase of batman's supporting characters but they all eventually just felt like unnecessary cameos. TLH has a much better writing

Hush: TLH art takes some time to get used to, hush art is mind blowingly awesome, jim lee brought his A game to this book

Ranoiaetep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

need to say that long halloween is a way better story comparing to hush. but jim lee's art make hush is more acceptable to others. honestly i don't know which one to vote

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I voted the Long Halloween, and am happy to see they were close. The only thing I'm upset about is that 1%. What's your deal?

Because they're both horrible >:(
    BB

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MasterDetective

Jesus freakin' christ, I wish eternal woe in the fiery pits of hell to all those who voted for long haloween for humanity's sake.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By infantfinite128

@masterdetective said:

Jesus freakin' christ, I wish eternal woe in the fiery pits of hell to all those who voted for long haloween for humanity's sake.

But they lost. I know that's a joke, but it's pretty extreme, man.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

What relationship? Mind blowing unrealistic jealousy? The relationship is as hollow and cheesy as they get in comics. There is no depth, no real or believable emotions. I really have a hard time to see what there is to get here.

He's a phyco,and his jealousy is ,at least, illogical.
    That's what i like.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I loved reading the comments in the voting thread for this one. Alternating comments saying that these are the greatest and worst Batman stories ever told. Very few other books have this dichotomy of opinions. Fun to read people reaction to them.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: Well, I hear it has a competent Riddler. That's reason enough or me.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By Pokeysteve

Hush won that poll a few months back so this was no surprise. I bet Long Halloween got a lot of votes from people who simply didn't want Hush to win.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tupiaz

@tupiaz: Well, I hear it has a competent Riddler. That's reason enough or me.

Riddler in the story is great sadly he has a to small role to make of for the overall story and the character Hush.

@tupiaz said:

He's a phyco,and his jealousy is ,at least, illogical.

That's what i like.

A psychopat is not illogical they just don't have empathy. There is a huge difference.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know you've alrrady had Thor and Spiderman but J. Michael Straczynski's Spiderman vs Thor maybe ? To be honest I haven't read hid Thor it seems to be praised generally.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: Well I've still never actually read anything with Hush in it. Whether everyone thinks he's a good villain or not, I'd still like to do that!

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Honestly I've only read Hush and I enjoyed it. So I don't feel Knowledgable enough to give an opinion.

clayscarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read Hush first and loved it. It was pretty early in my comics days, though. I recently read Long Halloween after reading a lot of great runs in other series and it was just PAINFUL for me. The art didn't impress me, I thought it was a very limited color palette. As for the story, I thought it was actually pretty predictable. Hush isn't perfect, and I haven't read anything else with him in it, so maybe the character is ruined later down the line, but that story was awesome. And the art is just breathtaking. Sure, it's a popcorn comic, but it's still fun and really well executed.

BlackPookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.