Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Does it Hold Up? Batman (1989)

• 141 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

In Context

The year, as you probably gathered, was 1989. THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS had come out, THE KILLING JOKE had come out, and a plucky young director by the name of Tim Burton was ready to make America forget the name Adam West. Funny story: West actually wanted to star in the film and would let his thoughts on not being contacted known very, very publicly. The ‘80s are an interesting decade for film, especially moving into the ‘90s, and at this point “gothic” was very in. We hadn’t gotten The Crow yet, so I don’t mean the more industrial movement that would arise in the 90s, but angular, dark settings were very en-vogue. Burton’s Gotham looks almost like a combination of dark, Victorian architecture with a very modern cloak over it. This was two years before Doug Moench and Kelley Jones would turn Gotham into a Victorian hellscape in their Red Raintrilogy, so seeing this vision was still novel, particularly for non-comic readers, who likely didn’t know the Dark Knight could get this...well dark.

No Caption Provided

Critics were divided, with the best example being the legendary, late-great Siskel and Ebert, the latter of whom thought the film was too dour and depressing while the former loved how it gave us a mature, grownup look at a pair of comic book characters. The writer’s strike at the time of the film’s inception also dealt some blows to comics fans’ expectations, with Burton himself writing in Joker/Jack Napier as the Wayne parents’ murderer as well as having Alfred, apropos of very little, let Vicki Vale in to the Batcave, so even back then this grim, gritty and altogether serious film was far from universally beloved.

Modern Viewing

No Caption Provided

I’m not going to lie: I went into this particular movie not expecting much. I’d liked it when I’d first seen it, but I was ready for it to not hold up terribly well, but quite the opposite happened: I’d actually say I enjoyed it more now than when I first saw it. The opening has an incredible sense of visual language, setting up Gotham with just about everything you need to know in the first few minutes. It’s during a mugging that totally-isn’t-the Wayne family that we get our first look at Michael Keaton as the Batman (as he’s frequently referred to as), and ya know what? Here we are almost 30 years later and it still largely works! Yeah, it’s a little corny at this point, but if you let yourself get immersed in the setting, which is not difficult, it’s actually very, very effective. Particularly the voice, which Keaton nails to a tee. Being a “six foot tall bat” however...not so much.

He also plays Bruce Wayne extremely well, both in terms of realistically changing his voice and actually portraying Wayne as visibly unhinged. He’s not ranting and raving to the stars, but he’s got a lot of tics, both subtle and not-so-subtle, that let both viewers and characters know that he’s not a mentally well man. His interactions and introductions to Vicki and her cohort are some of the most interesting of Bruce Wayne that we’ve seen before and some might say since. Keaton uses him as more than a cypher and tool for Batman, but as a wholly separate character.

No Caption Provided

Now we come to what some would consider the main event: Jack Nicholson (who receives top billing) as the Joker. Looking back it’s an odd choice, but not anywhere NEAR as odd as Keaton. By this time Nicholson had already played a host of mentally unstable, visually arresting characters from his first role in the original Little Shop of Horrors to, of course, The Shining. We actually get a shocking amount of Jack Napier before the chemical bath that would give him his startling transformation. Along with an appearance from B-movie icon Jack Palance as his (former) boss and a girlfriend who becomes a sort of proto-Harley Quinn in retrospect, this is a performance I vastly underestimated. I remember liking it when I saw it, but also thinking it was definitely “Jack Nicholson plays the Joker” like so many of his roles. This time around that is still true, and while he doesn’t disappear into the role, he does play it up and inhabit it. The part echoes a much darker, more malevolent Cesar Romero, complete with an array of deadly pranks and over-the-top ploys. Nicholson is also legitimately hilarious in a few scenes, especially the infomercial-like parody in which he deploys one of his plots.

I’ll be the first person to admit I was wrong, and in this case I was. This movie holds UP! From the minimalist combat (in which Batman does play possum perhaps one too many times) to the presence of surprisingly apt Prince songs alongside the Danny Elfman score, this is a movie that exudes the ‘80s, but isn’t nearly as dated as it could be owing to the dark, timeless sets. Much like the much, and rightly, praised Dark Knight, this is a crime film before it’s a superhero one, though the climax definitely leaps toward the latter. The movie also broke new ground by hiring Keaton to play Wayne, as this was considered extremely unlikely casting at the time, a trend that continues even today. And while I, like so many, am torn on both Joker/Napier being the killer of the Waynes (not EVERYthing needs to be connected) and Alfred letting Vicki into the Batcave, within the world that they’ve established, it makes a certain sense. The movie may ultimately be style over substance, but the style is so striking and the substance still there enough to make it an extremely entertaining revisit.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Still my favorite Batman movie.

Also it's been a while since I've seen Mr. Schroeder make an article.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It is the greatest batman film ever made. Nicholsons joker is exeactly what i want from the character, the laughing, the lethal clown gear, the vivid colours and the awesome lines (see "never rub another mans rhubarb"). Keaton may not be quite as good at being the bat as bale, but he i vastly superior as Bruce Wayne. I will always love this movie.

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it still holds up, what a stupid question!!!!!

DrApplebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrApplebox

I love this movie and I still think Nicholson's Joker is the best live-action portrayal of the character thus far....but MAN did Burton screw up that backstory. Burton's sole inspiration was Killing Joke, and then he makes an origin that completely misses the entire point of Killing Joke.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Bierschneeman

Loved it... still watch it from time to time

AbramDaAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a great movie and for those who haven't watched this and batman returns is on netflix

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I watch this again last week. Still enjoyable.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
    victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally watched it a couple nights ago & yes it still holds up remarkably well.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This movie was so awesome! It was the best of the Batman movies from the 90's. I refuse to pick between this and Dark Knight for best Batman movie ever. Too close to call for me.

DorothyHull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DorothyHull

Six months ago I lost my job and after that I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a great website which literally saved me. I started working for them online and in a short time after I've started averaging 15k a month... The best thing was that cause I am not that computer savvy all I needed was some basic typing skills and internet access to start... This is where to start

►►►►WWW.PAYHOBBY.COM

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts! This is an interesting idea for a feature. Other movies I can see "holding up" to the ravages of time are Superman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Blade II. The amount of comic book movies that don't hold up are legion by comparison.

rich_trenholm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As great as it is, when I watched it again recently I was struck by how static it is - Tim Burton just didn't seem able to direct action then. Batman is probably the better story, but I don't think he really nailed the style until Batman Returns

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna lie, watched both Burton films last week and they don't hold up.

Always thought Returns was more enjoyable.

Avatar image for tearofthedragon
    TearoftheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:

It is the greatest batman film ever made. Nicholsons joker is exeactly what i want from the character, the laughing, the lethal clown gear, the vivid colours and the awesome lines (see "never rub another mans rhubarb"). Keaton may not be quite as good at being the bat as bale, but he i vastly superior as Bruce Wayne. I will always love this movie.

My own thoughts exactly.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this movie as a kid when I first saw it, still love it to this very day.

Avatar image for 1_redhoodfan927
    1_RedHoodfan927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is easily one my favourites alongside The Dark Knight, Under the Red Hood, Mask of the Phantasm and Adam West 1966 Batman.

My favourite quote

The Joker: "Jack, Jack is dead is my friend. You can call me Joker, and as you can you see I'm a lot happier."

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By SupBatz

I still love both of Burton's films. I respect how unafraid they are to approach the world and characters of Batman from a much different angle. His movies are like a distorted, uber-gothic look at the already gothic Gotham. Definitely a ton of fun to watch.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was absolutely mesmerized by this film as a kid. Bought the Blu ray set a couple years ago and watched Batman and returns. Still loved them both. I would still say the Datk knight trilogy is better, but both films held up very well. The bat suit is a little dated, it's so rubber looking, but overall it works. Keaton is great in the role. Nicholson is fantastic. He and Ledger were both amazing. Huge shoes to fill for Leto.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I think it holds up very nicely. (Though I still think that Joker was underwhelming)

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still a good batman film but Mask of the Phantasm always be my favorite when I saw that movie and that is what made me really like comic book super heroes. About 4 years later i am enjoying the Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo run.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's okay. I like actors performances but movie never really gripped my focus.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't watched it in a long time but loved this movie as a kid. I'm planning on watching all the Batman movies including MotP and also Batman forever and Batman and Robin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I re-watched it on October, and it didn't hold up that well for me. And I think it's funny that people thought this movie was really dark 25 years ago.

I still have my reasons for liking Returns though (*coughMichellePfeifferasCatwomancough*).

Avatar image for 1_redhoodfan927
    1_RedHoodfan927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Don't watch Batman and Robin it is terrible. It's the worst Batman film ever made. Even The Dark Knight Rises, the very first Batman movie in 1943 and 1949 Batman and Robin are way better.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RustyRoy

@1_redhoodfan927: TDKR was very good IMO and I liked B&R as a kid and I'll try to enjoy it thinking it as a parody.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By Pokeysteve

Still the best Batman movie. He's intelligent and he can fight.

The best Joker too. Unpredictable, crazy and will kill you just cause.

The one thing Burton's universe has over every other Batman both animated and live action, is Gotham. It is its own character.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

@cdw101 said:

Of course it still holds up, what a stupid question!!!!!

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Without a doubt,this version of batman can never be touched. This movie started it all long b4 batman begins

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Still the best Batman movie. He's intelligent and he can fight.

The best Joker too. Unpredictable, crazy and will kill you just cause.

The one thing Burton's universe has over every other Batman both animated and live action, is Gotham. It is its own character.

YES!

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman returns is the best batman movie ever followed by this then the darkknight then batman forever then begins the other too are hardly watchable begins is the only movie of the bale triliogy where he did a good job as batman but in Darkknight returns i only watch because the joker took most the screen time and he was so damn good in that movie.

batman forever i enjoy i can't quite say why but i do for some reason i remember watching it and the cable guy back to back as a kid and just being like dude don't let the riddler install your cable he will suck your brain out.

but yes the burton movies still hold up i watch them all the time.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Nice to see so many positive comments about this one. The only big problem (for me, that is) is Batman blowing people up and apparently it's no big deal for him.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Once I watched the Dark Knight, Nicolson's Joker became as intolerable as the Adam West version of the character.

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rewatched it a few months back, and it is still one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

'tis great.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Its horridly campy and boring. Might as well watch a cartoon if you're going to be that over the top.

The design of Gotham was pure comedy and not in a good way.

Nostalgia is by far the driving force for anyone who talks positively or not (and don't be mistaken that you have to be old to be nostalgic)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still holds up surprisingly well. Keaton's Bruce Wayne is really awful and uninteresting compared to Bales. Even though this is one of my favorites i'd say Batman Begins is the best Batman movie (and the best Bruce Wayne movie). With that said, of the campier Batman films, I prefer Kilmer's Wayne to Keaton's (sue me).

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gracetrack

@fallschirmjager said:

Nostalgia is by far the driving force for anyone who talks positively or not (and don't be mistaken that you have to be old to be nostalgic)

Not at all. This film holds up very well, nostolgia or no. Maybe it just isn't your cup of tea, ever think of it that way?

In a lot of cases, it's simply that kids these days have been too spoiled by all the high-octane, action-packed thrillers of today to fully appreciate the slower-paced, more deliberate classics in film.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By GC8

I love Heath Ledger's Joker, but he went a little too far with the psycho and not far enough with the funny - what made Joker so great in the comics is he'd point a gun at a henchman and after the guy pleaded for his life, he'd pull the trigger and a flag would come out with the word 'BANG!' on it. Everybody would laugh. Then Joker would pull the trigger again and the flag would shoot out spearing the guy through the heart and everyone would get dead silent. The Nicholson version of Joker came much closer to this. If they could split the difference between the two portrayals I'd be very happy.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Batman 89 is crap.

Despite Keaton's Batman being intelligent, he was a cold blooded killer who had no trouble in blowing people up. There was almost zero emphasis on the no-kill rule and this did not sit well with me. He could not fight very well either. I got the impression that he could walk, but that's all he could do --- he was so stiff and immobile; and getting his ass handed to him by that henchman in the climax was painful to watch.

Jack Nicholson was good. Much better than Keaton. The problem with Joker killing Bruce's parents is that it cheapened the dynamic relationship between Batman and Joker and what could have been great, quickly turned into a generic revenge cliche. The gadgets in the film are corny.

I don't think Burton really cared for developing character. The look of Gotham was great. He did great with that but that was about it. It was too Gothic for it's own good, and the Golden Age influence really hurt the film.

I have no doubt this film was good for it's time. But in my personal opinion, it is definitely outdated. And on that note, I don't think it was necessarily intended to withstand the test of time.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MuyJingo

@frozen said:

Batman 89 is crap.

Despite Keaton's Batman being intelligent, he was a cold blooded killer who had no trouble in blowing people up. There was almost zero emphasis on the no-kill rule and this did not sit well with me. He could not fight very well either. I got the impression that he could walk, but that's all he could do --- he was so stiff and immobile; and getting his ass handed to him by that henchman in the climax was painful to watch.

Ha, we agree!

I also find it frustrating that he a)murders Joker and b)Joker is responsible for killing his parents, instead of a random act of violence. It takes a *lot* away from the origin.

I think it's valid as one of the many different takes on the character, is is truer in some ways to the very first incarnations than the modern incarnation, but it is so far removed from the post-crisis Batman that I know and love that I can never take it seriously.

Also, this article should have had a poll attached, even if the titular question is rhetorical.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the best parts of the film is the visual aesthetic and the epic music by Danny Elfman.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's not awful, but it definitely has a weird vibe like "Batman: The Musical" without the music..

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 frozen  Moderator

@muyjingo: Indeed we do agree for once :P

I found it very frustrating that The Joker murdered his parents. It was wrong on so many levels; general crime should be the motivation for Batman but the idea that his arch-nemesis 'created' him cheapens the dynamic. Batman/Joker's relationship became a generic revenge cliche. And Joker dying...in the first Batman movie doesn't sit well with me. I also hated Burton's Gordon.

It's one of the many takes on Batman, but I definitely think it's the case of being modelled after the Golden Age version. To me, that was a mistake --- the early Post-Crisis Batman had such deeper and more interesting characterization than the early Golden Age version, it was a missed opportunity to not take any influence from the Post-Crisis Batman.

I've read 1980s-era Batman comics, and whenever I contrast them with Burton's Batman I can't find any notable similarities in characterization.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't think the movie is bad, is really suffers from more than a few problems (owing to Burton and Nicholson's influence on the production, I'm sure). The addition of Joker being responsible for the death of the Waynes really changes up the entire crux of Batman's focus and origin. One of the big things about him, is that he never ever will get closure on the death of his parents. Even in Batman Begins, while Joe Chill did serve time, Bruce never got the revenge he wanted. Because of this, his quest is never really ending, with him always trying to make up for one little boy losing his parents. In the Burton Batman, after the death of the Joker, a lot of his motivation is simply gone. He found the man that murdered his parents, fought him, saved the girl, and killed him. His story really ends there. Now, if Batman Returns had expanded on this, and given him new reason to be invested in the identity of Batman, it might be a different story, but we never see that in the sequel. He's just Batman, another day on the job.

There's also more than a few plotholes and story telling missteps. We have his henchman just suddenly going from typical mobsters to crazy goofy purple clad goons in a bout a night. I'm sure Jack is a pretty charismatic guy, but I don't really understand the motivation these guys have. They're working for the mob, doing mob things, making money, and then they're just all about random acts of violence and murder without any sign of profit. (Even the underpants gnomes know you need profit.) That movie's Joker was established to be pretty brilliant, but we never learn (ironically) "where he gets those wonderful toys." After his transformation into Joker, Napier just shows up with crazy gadgets, death trap parade floats, and giant anti air pistols. There just isn't any buildup to him having these things. It's like they got to the part in the script where he becomes Joker, and they just go, "well, he has this stuff. Done."

Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy the movie, but it just doesn't quite hold up as well as I remember when I was a kid. Over all, though, I really enjoy Keaton in the role, as he brings an odd quirkiness to both Bruce and Batman that not a lot of other actors have. Nicholson does a dang fine job as Joker (not quite my favorite, but it's up there), and I really like some of the side characters, like Knox and Eckhardt. The visuals are also simply amazing, and rightfully influence years of Batman.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 frozen  Moderator

Something I found somewhat interesting and confusing is that the film technically takes place in 1989 (the year on Napier's wanted poster and Prince music) yet the front-page Newspapers of the time are actually events from 1947. So technically 1947 events/style is ''occurring'' in 1989; hence why the mob looked 1940's style and what-not.

Very odd choice, I think it worked much better for TAS tbh.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@muyjingo: Indeed we do agree for once :P

I found it very frustrating that The Joker murdered his parents. It was wrong on so many levels; general crime should be the motivation for Batman but the idea that his arch-nemesis 'created' him cheapens the dynamic. Batman/Joker's relationship became a generic revenge cliche. And Joker dying...in the first Batman movie doesn't sit well with me. I also hated Burton's Gordon.

It's one of the many takes on Batman, but I definitely think it's the case of being modelled after the Golden Age version. To me, that was a mistake --- the early Post-Crisis Batman had such deeper and more interesting characterization than the early Golden Age version, it was a missed opportunity to not take any influence from the Post-Crisis Batman.

I've read 1980s-era Batman comics, and whenever I contrast them with Burton's Batman I can't find any notable similarities in characterization.

I agree completely. Not to take this thread off topic, but it would seem you are more forgiving of the Nolan Batman killing/letting people die. Why is that, if you wouldn't mind elaborating? I find both incarnations equally bad in this regard, perhaps the Burton Batman being a little bit worse.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie gets more love than the Nolan films do, that's for sure...

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Batman 89 is crap.

Despite Keaton's Batman being intelligent, he was a cold blooded killer who had no trouble in blowing people up. There was almost zero emphasis on the no-kill rule and this did not sit well with me.He could not fight very well either. I got the impression that he could walk, but that's all he could do --- he was so stiff and immobile; and getting his butt handed to him by that henchman in the climax was painful to watch.

Jack Nicholson was good. Much better than Keaton. The problem with Joker killing Bruce's parents is that it cheapened the dynamic relationship between Batman and Joker and what could have been great, quickly turned into a generic revenge cliche. The gadgets in the film are corny.

I don't think Burton really cared for developing character. The look of Gotham was great. He did great with that but that was about it. It was too Gothic for it's own good,and the Golden Age influence really hurt the film.

Fair enough.

However, most of the reasons you noted for calling the movie "crap" seem to have more to do with you personally not liking the interpretation of the characters, places, items, plot points, and relationships as compared to the comics, rather than the actual quality of the cinematography, acting, script, soundtrack, etc. For example, Corey says that he may not have really liked that Joker killed Bruce's parents (plot point, relationship dynamic), or Alfred letting Vicki into the batcave, but within the context of that world and the story that Burton was trying to tell, those things made sense.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jack Nicholson was a brilliant Joker, I liked him better than Heath Ledger TBH.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.