Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Does Batman rogues gallery need an upgrade?

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It is evident from many sources including comics(Batman Eternal,DOF) that batman can take out most of his rogues gallery by himself so do you guys think that Batman rogues gallery needs upgrade?

blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By blackhawk000111
    No Caption Provided

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they are already giving him much trouble, especially Riddler, Joker and Bane. Other's are practically fodder by now.

blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they are already giving him much trouble, especially Riddler, Joker and Bane. Other's are practically fodder by now.

What about Ra's al ghul?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Boynerdgeek

You can argue that Batman and Spider-man have the best rogues gallery in comics, besides many classic Batman villains not appear yet in New 52

blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Snyder treatment bring their A games personally I want a good Bane and Ra's al ghul story

Batking200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would enjoy that

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Well, some more feats for most of them, wouldn't hurt.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I think they're fine for Bruce as is. Any hero can take down their rogues gallery. Maybe if they jumped around more often, like say, Joker attacks Superman or Parasite comes for Batman, that would be better.

The only time I think there should be a substantial shift in Rogues is for their to be a substantial shift in tactics. Like, if Terry were to takeover. His Batsuit makes him physically more powerful than most, (or should,) he can fly, his Batmobile can fly, etc. The villains are fine for their current hero. The hero should be what makes their bad guys up their game. The only way Bruce could change and have it make sense is if he started using robotic suits like Tony Stark on a regular. Outside of that, I can't think of anything else.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Batman has one of the most interesting Rouges Gallery in comics. All such classic villains.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

You can argue that Batman and Spider-man have the best rogues gallery in comics, besides many classic Batman villains not appear yet in New 52

Yet, but many of them, are almost featless...the reason why you see Bane, Deathstroke, Lady Shiva, The Joker, etc, on the battle threads, its because they actually have performed some feats, with some consistency, which makes it possible for someone to make a case for them, beating A or B...but on the other hand, i've never seen Hugo Strange, or Two-face, on the battle threads...i've only seen Hush there once or twice, and it was mostly people calling his feats PIS...which wouldn't happen, if his feats were consistent.

Sure, if character A, doesn't have the means to beat character B, then he shouldn't do it, but if he does it consistently, and on the right circunstances, he gains relevancy, i mean, it doesn't need to be straight up, it doesn't need to be pretty either...but it doesn need to happen, otherwise the villains start to be seen as more like jokes than threats.

For exemple, a few days ago, i was debating for a character that i enjoyed alot in Snyder's court of the owls, The Gotham Ripper (Felix Harmon) against Spider-Man (yeah, imagine that...)...and i really wantted to point out some actual feats, besides bursting through stuff, but i couldn't because there wasn't anything...besides, whopping on Talon (Calvin Rose) for a while, (who also isn't that much impressive) a fight that Harmon ended up losing anyway, and the locomotive feat.

In my opinion, in order to be relevant, a character needs feats, cannon-fodder its cannon-fodder = irrelevant.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

The threats of most of Batman's villains isn't physical. Almost all of them, once Batman gets his hands on them he usually beats them up without much trouble. The difficulty is finding them and stopping whatever city wide threat they have planned in time. The villains' psychology is what makes them interesting, not they physical threat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessarily. Riddler and Joker have been great so far. Clayface had his own little arc. The Court of Owls wore Batman out. Talia and Ra's and the Heretic took him to the edge. His villains are fine. Of course he can beat them, but they give him a good fight and story, and sometimes he actually doesn't win, like with Joker, or the Heretic.

One of my issues with his villains though is how they are used. Like why have two-face kill himself?

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, Batman has some of the best PLOT villains in comics, i think they're fine the way the are now.

fattytravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say that the existing villains need an 'upgrade' but I WOULD really like to see some new, well developed villains added to the gallery. I think I seen somewhere that post Endgame Snyder is going to be introducing a few new villains, which is great since he's batting for a thousand in that regard so far, as far as I'm concerned.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Killer Moth should be upgraded back to "badass"

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Killer Moth should be upgraded back to "badass"

Agreed. I like Killer Moth, he has potential.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I agree with this. It would also be good if Batman stopped taking on multiple members of his rogues gallery with ease, it makes them seem incompetent.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Not necessarily. Riddler and Joker have been great so far. Clayface had his own little arc. The Court of Owls wore Batman out. Talia and Ra's and the Heretic took him to the edge. His villains are fine. Of course he can beat them, but they give him a good fight and story, and sometimes he actually doesn't win, like with Joker, or the Heretic.

One of my issues with his villains though is how they are used. Like why have two-face kill himself?

I don't think these baddies you mentioned are what the OP had in mind. People like Two-Face, Scarecrow, the guy with the puppets, Dr. Pyg, Sasz, Catwoman, etc. I just don't know how any of these guys can pose any threat to Batman. They were a threat back when all Batman had was a batarang and a rope to swing from buildings, but Batman's feats, skills, and tech has improved so drastically, that he pretty much needs super villains to pose any threat to him.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc said:

I agree with this. It would also be good if Batman stopped taking on multiple members of his rogues gallery with ease, it makes them seem incompetent.

I don't know about that. I'd say the same thing in Batman's case. If guys like Two-Face and Scarecrow give him trouble in a fight, it would certainly make Batman seem incompetent. It just makes so much more sense to have Batman handle most of his rogues with ease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla: I agree. Not to mention that batman has built up an immunity for scarecrow's fear gas.

No villain is as irrelevant as penguin though. I'm not sure how he has made it this far.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It doesn't matter how much you upgrade them. Batgod still solos.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@batzilla: True but I'm not talking about the likes of Two-Face and Scarecrow, it would be wrong for them to give him trouble in hand-to-hand. This is the kind of thing I mean:

Clayface, Victor Zsasz and Mr. Freeze are the type of villain that I'd hope would cause some trouble in a random encounter. Getting taken down in one move means that, if you wanted to have a solo story with either of the characters, it would have to be questioned why are they proving more trouble on there own. It's not that Bruce beating them doesn't make any sense, but there must be a way of making Batman struggle a bit more.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More characters need an upgrade MMH, Shazam & Flash to specific

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd personally prefer newer villains.

Still, I wouldn't say Batman's villains are that badly in need of an upgrade. He's much better off than, say, Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four who both outgrew their core villains years ago.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@batzilla: I agree. Not to mention that batman has built up an immunity for scarecrow's fear gas.

No villain is as irrelevant as penguin though. I'm not sure how he has made it this far.

lol yeah so true, I can't believe I forgot to mention him in my list of irrelevant villains. He's next to useless, at least as far as going up against Batman

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riddler and Joker had upgrades and year they should be upgraded if Batman gets an upgrade or at least new villains should be created to challenge him.

blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By blackhawk000111

At this stage I want batman to have a power house villain.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats probably why they need an upgrade. The ones you mentioned are fine.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any villain can be a major threat, it's just how writers perceive them.

PotatoLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The point of Batman's villains is to challenge him mentally, not physically. As long as they continue to do that they don't necessarily need to change. However, I wholeheartedly support the addition of new villains so long as they are well developed and intriguing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do believe Bane should be able to beat him in a fight occasionally, and Ra's should be more formidable in a fight too.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There are so many other obscure or not well known Batman villains that writers can use instead of making new ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4
    deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, we try our best, dammit! That bastard's really hard to kill!

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just want more bane vs batman story lines :(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.