Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Does Batman, really need to know 127 martial arts?

• 92 results
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By daredevil21134

@PowerHerc said:

No, they over did it with that one.

I agree

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Batnandez

@Red_Jack said:

@Batnandez: You make that assumption on aikido from watching UFC matches? News flash; most of those guys on UFC and MMA are brutish chumps. The two guys who had aikido training probably didn't know how to apply it to UFC and they probably weren't grizzly enough in themselves to go toe to toe with their opponents.

that's the silliest thing I've ever heard, and you're completely talking out pf your butt. You're saying Anderson SIlva is a brutish chump??? Aikido is useless period, imo batman doesn't do pointless crap all day like aikido

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Red_Jack

What a loser you're revealing yourself to be. I wont even argue back because I know I'm right and everyone else reading can tell that you're just a childish prick, now.

Judging by your petty attitude, I bet you couldn't even handle a martial art like Aikido. Considering it takes patience, dedication, focus and discipline; such strong traits in a human would be beyond you.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#54  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

He only uses like three LOL

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By batshrine

@evilvegeta74 said:

The real question is does he really know that many martial arts, because if he did could Bane have really broken his back? Then think about this could Bane have did this to Iron Fist from marvel comics, whom doesn't know 127 different martial arts? Then ask yourself is Batman's reume boosted up? I say hell yes. don't get mad at me batfans, this is just my opinion. With the whole strike this nerve thing going on in martial arts and you're crippled, ya gotta wonder right, nah I forget Bat's is undefeatable. Just an honest opinion!

Not getting mad, though I would recommend for you to re read Knightfall because Bane didn't get Batman at his best. In fact Bane orchestrated a plan to completely tire out the Dark Knight so he could be beat him. I wil remind you that Batman is human and he does get tired. So if you want me to be honest if Iron Fist was just as fatigued as Batman, and lets give him his chi fists just cause Batman does have more skills than Iron Fist (which you just admitted!) then yes I think Bane would've beaten Iron Fist as well.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By Hazlenaut

if he learns 127 martial arts for dealing with conflicts on earth, then how many would he learn in space. I am asking for Batman 1000000. When batman becomes roboticized or whatever origin they are going for Batman 1000000 it will be good know.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By JonSmith

Is it necessary? In the world Batman lives in? Yes, it is. Any flaws in his training are flaws in him. Flaws lead to doubts. Batman can't have doubts, so he masters techniques to perfect his combat style. So whether he's fighting an army of thugs or something like Killer Croc, he can take it down with skill where his strength or speed would be outmatched. He lives in a world where aliens fight in the sky, shattering skyscrapers. He stands alongside these aliens as a comrade, and in order to be the best there is that he is capable of standing alongside them, he must be physically and intellectually perfect. Otherwise, he's just a crazy person in a weird costume.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Same reason Superman over the years seemingly has had every power known to man no matter how useless (super ventriloquism really why would he need that?) he doesn't "need" to know all those forms of martial arts but it's apart of his character now.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I find people getting worked up over Batman knowing 127 styles of martial arts in a world with aliens with eye lasers, gods made flesh and robots warping reality amusing...

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Hazlenaut

Just to ask how many did he mastered? Knowing and mastering are two different things? bane spine break wounded some of his agility so are there few that he will have difficulty doing because of that.

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Red_Jack

I came across a comic just recently with Cassandra Cain in her very early stories. I can't remember which one it is, but Batman has this hologram of him teaching Batgirl the 127 styles. But he only mentions learning the core theory of each one.

I was surprised to see this included, since the only evidence I've seen of him mastering all 127 styles is from the bio page someone posted on here.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FatihBATMAN

yea i think it is in the DC Comics app, called Batman 101 and 201

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

How can any one tell ? it all looks the same O-O

tahmidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By tahmidk

he hasnt learned 127 martial arts. to fully learn it you  have to completly master it which would probably take bruce 6 months due to his time and resources and determination

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Eternal19

I think it fits his charecter because batman is supposed to be the peak of physical and mental perfection. Its just writers emphasizing that batman is supposed to be an example of human achievement. and people cmon its a comic book did you reallly expect everything batman does to be based in reality

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

No one on Earth could actually mastered 127 types of martial arts...you can learn all 127, but not master it...

Learn all 127 doesn't mean you can defeat anyone, even a man who mastered 1 type of martial art can beat a man who learn all 127 martial art in shallow way.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ThanosIsMad

A lot of styles in real life overlap anyway. So realistically, no, he doesn't need to know 127 different styles. He could, however, distill the basics of 127 different styles into his own fighting style, sort of like Bat Kun Do, which is a lot more plausible.

ultimatejones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ultimatejones

its totally possible for batman to master 127 martial arts, I've mastered 130

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By Rumble Man

127 is not all of them anyways

unless dc writers decide to retcon that and put them all in without depicting every single one -___-

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why its a big deal? I mean his gadgets don't make sense either? Or how about his knowledge prowess, I mean he has also mastered subjects like chemistry, physics, forensics, escape artistry, is fluent in 8+ languages, is an AMAZING pilot, and driver. But everyone seems to think that physical prowess is the unbelievable part...

I mean lets put it this way to make it realistic, he spent every second of every day dedicated to training, and making sure he is well equipped to fighting crime. With such a level of focus, anything is achievable in a human scale. It's not like he got telekinesis or super strength from intense training, he just mastered the art form.

And he is still far more believable than any other non super powered hero out there. How do you explain to me that any of the Robins or Batgirls (Cassandra and Damian as]side) are able to handle their own without the same level of dedication. Or how about Wild Cat, an old boxer...Or the Arrow family who's gadgets make even less sense than the Bat family's.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

of course he does. how will fanboys even have a chance of convincing people batman can beat wolverine? at least let them have this. they're self-esteem needs it.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time for a Bruce Lee quote.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

Someone who practices 10,000 different kicks only one time each may (theoretically) have a wide range of knowledge but his execution of each kick will be sloppy and ineffective secondary to lack of serious practice and study of the correct use of each one.

Someone who practices 1 kick 10,000 times, on the other hand, will have a great mastery of that kick and its usage and will know all of the ways to execute that kick to defeat his opponent.

To be one of the top ten martial artist in the world dont mean you need to know many styles or always win, it means you understand martial arts how they work and for the same what do so you could walk away, Bruce Lee many times walk away of fights or fool people, Batman is smart enough to dodge fights and know the less he fights he more time he will be Batman.

Martial Arts are about getting better, Batman is about getting better, Kung Fu means getting better through hard work and practice, amazingly is the word that people use as Martial Arts, Batman is a Martial Artist because he looks to push himself to the limits and get better, he use science, Bruce Lee used science too, Batman knows psychology, Bruce Lee study psychology too, both of them walk the path of Martial Arts in the same way a modern way to be the best they can be, sure not for the same reasons, but still follow the same path.

No he dont, because know many styles dont mean you are good, it means you know many styles.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He can have as many goddamn martial arts as he wants because he's the goddamn Batman.

QFT

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course he does. how will fanboys even have a chance of convincing people batman can beat wolverine? at least let them have this. they're self-esteem needs it.

Using his gadgets?

I don't see why its a big deal? I mean his gadgets don't make sense either? Or how about his knowledge prowess, I mean he has also mastered subjects like chemistry, physics, forensics, escape artistry, is fluent in 8+ languages, is an AMAZING pilot, and driver. But everyone seems to think that physical prowess is the unbelievable part...

I mean lets put it this way to make it realistic, he spent every second of every day dedicated to training, and making sure he is well equipped to fighting crime. With such a level of focus, anything is achievable in a human scale. It's not like he got telekinesis or super strength from intense training, he just mastered the art form.

And he is still far more believable than any other non super powered hero out there. How do you explain to me that any of the Robins or Batgirls (Cassandra and Damian as]side) are able to handle their own without the same level of dedication. Or how about Wild Cat, an old boxer...Or the Arrow family who's gadgets make even less sense than the Bat family's.

Becuase Martial Arts means he has to train his own mind too, not only that, train many styles mean he never actually trains enough to master it.

Is better to train enough to be a master in 1 styles, that train millions of styles and suck at all of them.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer said:

Using his gadgets?

@batshrine said:

Becuase Martial Arts means he has to train his own mind too, not only that, train many styles mean he never actually trains enough to master it.

Is better to train enough to be a master in 1 styles, that train millions of styles and suck at all of them.

Yes, but its best to train millons of styles and master them all :-P.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@thetimestreamer said:

Using his gadgets?

@batshrine said:

Yes, but its best to train millons of styles and master them all :-P.

Nop, to much knowledge means you will have millions of way to stop one thing and many thing in your mind, then you will react slowly to the attack, because even if your mind is not the one that attack, your body will try to do millions of things at the same time.

Also many of the Batman skills arent that amazing, they look hard, but are by far more easy that they look like.

Also, is truth that Batman has way les PIS that the rest of characters, i mean many guys at the moment the put a suit they get good at being a hero, just for the fact they use a suit.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

But is he a master at them all ? i mean this is one of the reasons i could never take Batman serious as a character .

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But is he a master at them all ? i mean this is one of the reasons i could never take Batman serious as a character .

That what they say, DC has no idea of hoiw martial arts work and what they are.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

Well yeah

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

colinbiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't be silly, I rember that he knows 128.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't be silly, I rember that he knows 128.

Wrong, he knows 129 and a half

Usha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like why does he need to know that many? I can't really think of any reason, as to why he would have to know that many to take on the bad guys he fights. I could understand a few, but 127 just doesn't seem right it just looks like one of those things where you know said character has it but they don't really need it given what they already know.

Well If we assume that 127 are all the existing martial arts in the world, knowing them all gives him an adventage. Because if he fights an enemie with a specific fighting technics, he will know them too, and know wich other martial art to use to defeat him.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

I prefer to think that Bruce, probably by the time he is in his mid-late thirties, has a sound familiarity with 127 martial arts. Being a master in each one is ludicrous, over the twenty years he's been training, he is probably a true master of half a dozen or so, an expert in a few more, proficient in many and has a theoretical and practical knowledge of the key tenets, strengths and weaknesses of the rest. Then he collates all of this knowledge and selects approaches, moves and philosophies from each style to craft his own individual style.

The way that martial art forms blend into one another, it's not impossible to have a sound knowledge of the base form of many fighting practices so that he's never totally caught off guard by an individual's general style.

In the Nolan films, post-League of Shadows, Bruce primarily uses of Keysi, which is an amalgam of many forms like Jeet Kun Do, Macado BJJ etc but also seeks to move beyond form into a fundamental and primal fighting style. I like that concept, there is a historical underpinning to what he does, but ultimately, everything Batman does is one move; the winning move.

This is just the opinion of an enthusiast who did some Judo when he was little for a while and some Karate as a teen; I'm no expert.

Usha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Usha

^Exactly. I see Batman using the right move in any given situation. Whatever style the opponent possesses, whatever defense or strike is thrown, Batman should/would use the best move to counter that. He's molded all martial arts into one and uses the right technique at the right moment because all martial arts has some flaws.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kung Fu Bat style !!!

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in reality, if someone could possibly learn 127 martial arts systems it would take them about 145 years.

so lets say he could counter the time it takes to learn and some how learn 145 years of martial arts training in 10 years. would it make him a better fighter? No it wouldn't. why wouldn't it? simply because having to much Data to sift through would slow his reaction time down. once you learn to much every knew piece of data you add to your knowledge means that the brain has 1 more piece of data to pass over at the appropriate time and as such you become slower to react.

there is a reason Mixed martial artists focus on only a handful of different styles ranging from a mix of boxing, kickboxing, and grappling.its because the more you learn the more information you have to process. so its important to only learn a useful amount of martial arts. the only way Bruce Wayne would be able to properly use that many martial arts systems is if his brain was hundreds of times more efficient at transference of information. and if it was that much better it would still be unnecessary for him to learn 127 martial arts systems as his brain would already be so efficient that he most likely wouldn't have even needed to learn martial arts. he would just need to train his body to be physically capable and than spar and would be able to fight even the best of martial artists

RNKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A peak human needs it

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

127? Seeing as that line dropped more than a decade ago, I'm pretty sure it's 150+ martial arts at this point, considering Batman is ranked as one of the top 5 fighters in DC. Hell, I'm pretty sure there were other comics that gave even higher numbers, like 200.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.