Does Batman need a reboot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins was a good way to portray a more realistic Batman. Especially the dark atmosphere contributed an important part. Despite all these favorable sites, this Batman version has some flaws. When it comes to comics, it's not always advisable to discuss about reality. Many say: Come on, it's a comic. Brain off and enjoy. This objection is justified and understandable.

However, there are things that can not be ignored so easily. It is about the well-known laws of physics … (please don´t punish me for this "strange" word. I know, the laws of physics don´t always have a place in the world of comics). However, allow me a few thoughts.

Batman´s wings

Physics students David Marshall, Tom Hands, Ian Griffiths and Gareth Douglas penned a research paper entitled “Trajectory of a falling Batman” which examines the wingspan, height of descent and velocity representative of Batman’s cape during one of his flights, before proceeding to expose fatal flaws.

Apparently, Batman’s cape could support a 1,150 foot glide off a 492-foot tall tower, but his velocity would peak somewhere around 68 mph before leveling off at 50 mph, resulting in a new superhero called “Splatman”. http://nerdapproved.com/news/physics-students-claim-batmans-cape-wouldnt-stop-him-from-falling-like-a-rock/

Batman's wings are indeed suitable to slide from A to B, but B is located on the ground or slightly higher on a skyscraper wall. The biggest problem is speed. When Batman jumps off a high building in depth, he accelerates. He can not throttle the speed. To prevent a hard impact, Batman would have movable wings.

Flying fox

Now we need to enter into the realm of science fiction. Yes, science fiction has nothing to do with reality as well, but fiction can be easily combined with science. Fiction does not automatically mean impossible. It's more about logic within fiction that blends better with reality.

How about a suit with artificial muscles? The suit would have two bat wings and could be controlled with Batman's brain. Needless to say, the artificial muscles would be strong enough for a flight. Thus, Batman would be able to control the direction of flight and the flight speed. Here are two pictures in which something similar is seen.

The wings could have long claws with which Batman would be able to fight and climb. By the flying qualities he might even attack from the air, like an eagle (see the vampire from Underworld Evolution). He might even have boots with movable claws. With whom he could climbing and hanging upside down. In addition, he could use it in combat. That would be a whole new dimension.

The rope

Batman uses small gadgets with which it can fire a grappling hook. In these gadgets is a winch that pulls the rope down and Batman up. So the theory goes. But unfortunately, these gadgets belong to the realm of myth. Even if it were possible to shoot the rope up, nothing could generate the force to draw up a human body. There is a device that can do this. But it is big and slow. If the rope would consist of an artificial muscle (such as the suit and the bat wings), then the muscle could suddenly stretch and then contract. Sounds far-fetched, but it works. However, why does Batman need the rope if he can fly? Well, if he has no place to fly or if he wants to appear silently, then he could need the rope.

Story

The background story and the plot of Batman Begins is good. However, the whole story could be made even sinister and more mysterious. I imagine Batman as Mothman, as a kind of phantom that appears out of nowhere and just as quickly disappears. No one knows exactly what or who he is. Many conspiracy theories have grown up around him. Some say it's the famous Mothman, other think it is a being half human and half bat. Strangely, he attacked only criminal people.

Background Story

Batman's father owns the World Group Wayne Enterprises. One day his greatest rival sends his henchmen. They invade the entire family, they pour them with a flammable liquid and set them on fire. Only the little Bruce survives with serious injuries. The butler of the family learns of the attack, and taking care of the boy. Since he is a doctor, he can help him. He buried his parents and declard him dead. The boy is a bit distorted and ekes out his existence in a massive cave beneath the estate of his parents. However, the Bulter has ensured that Bruce gets support from other people. Bruce is growing up and is now an educated young man who has only one goal in mind: justice. He hires a new butler. He does not know who he is, he can not see his face, and must follow all orders. Only in the course of time, he may learn step by step, who Bruce really is. Bruce has invented artificial muscles, from which he built a suit. The helmet has ears with which he can perceive distant sounds. He also has a night vision device with which he can see in the dark and a wave machine, with which he can see even when no light is present. A voice changer ensures that he sounds scary. His face is not visible, not even parts of it. His gloves have retractable claws that support him in climbing and fighting. The artificial muscles makes him twice to three times stronger, which is a great Support for jumps.

Sinister and terrifying.

Like a phantom.

What do you think?

PS: Sorry, if my english is faulty. I'm german.

#2 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

They should reinvent the Hulk.

#3 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@tacos_kickass: Yes, you're absolutely right. Once I made a tobic about Hulk. But this is about Batman. So, what is your opinion?

#4 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2407 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I think Batman is fine just the way he is.

#5 Posted by Black_Claw (3039 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Batman doesn't need anymore reboots, for now.

#6 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, you're German? Nice English.

I think that you could change Batman a little bit and it would be fine, but its the same thing with Batman Zero Year (coming out this summer). Snyder says it's going to be different from Year One, and on one hand that will be nice, but on the other hand everyone already sees Year One as the definitive Batman origin, so why change it?

#8 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is smarter than those students.

Also no those movies were good just Rises sucked. Nolan needs to do like they did with Superman 3 and 4 write it out on continuity and make JL with Bale and Cavil and everything would be fine.

#9 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I think striving for realism with Batman can be a fruitless venture.

Besides the fact that Super humans, Aliens, time travel, etc exists in Batman's reality, there's also a whole lot of every day logic that Batman totally flies in the face of.

Suspension of disbelief is essential in reading any "tights and cape" comic. But that doesn't mean it still isn't fun.

#10 Edited by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

Batman Begins was a good way to portray a more realistic Batman. Especially the dark atmosphere contributed an important part. Despite all these favorable sites, this Batman version has some flaws. When it comes to comics, it's not always advisable to discuss about reality. Many say: Come on, it's a comic. Brain off and enjoy. This objection is justified and understandable.

However, there are things that can not be ignored so easily. It is about the well-known laws of physics … (please don´t punish me for this "strange" word. I know, the laws of physics don´t always have a place in the world of comics). However, allow me a few thoughts.

Batman´s wings

Physics students David Marshall, Tom Hands, Ian Griffiths and Gareth Douglas penned a research paper entitled “Trajectory of a falling Batman” which examines the wingspan, height of descent and velocity representative of Batman’s cape during one of his flights, before proceeding to expose fatal flaws.

Apparently, Batman’s cape could support a 1,150 foot glide off a 492-foot tall tower, but his velocity would peak somewhere around 68 mph before leveling off at 50 mph, resulting in a new superhero called “Splatman”. http://nerdapproved.com/news/physics-students-claim-batmans-cape-wouldnt-stop-him-from-falling-like-a-rock/

Batman's wings are indeed suitable to slide from A to B, but B is located on the ground or slightly higher on a skyscraper wall. The biggest problem is speed. When Batman jumps off a high building in depth, he accelerates. He can not throttle the speed. To prevent a hard impact, Batman would have movable wings.

Flying fox

Now we need to enter into the realm of science fiction. Yes, science fiction has nothing to do with reality as well, but fiction can be easily combined with science. Fiction does not automatically mean impossible. It's more about logic within fiction that blends better with reality.

How about a suit with artificial muscles? The suit would have two bat wings and could be controlled with Batman's brain. Needless to say, the artificial muscles would be strong enough for a flight. Thus, Batman would be able to control the direction of flight and the flight speed. Here are two pictures in which something similar is seen.

The wings could have long claws with which Batman would be able to fight and climb. By the flying qualities he might even attack from the air, like an eagle (see the vampire from Underworld Evolution). He might even have boots with movable claws. With whom he could climbing and hanging upside down. In addition, he could use it in combat. That would be a whole new dimension.

The rope

Batman uses small gadgets with which it can fire a grappling hook. In these gadgets is a winch that pulls the rope down and Batman up. So the theory goes. But unfortunately, these gadgets belong to the realm of myth. Even if it were possible to shoot the rope up, nothing could generate the force to draw up a human body. There is a device that can do this. But it is big and slow. If the rope would consist of an artificial muscle (such as the suit and the bat wings), then the muscle could suddenly stretch and then contract. Sounds far-fetched, but it works. However, why does Batman need the rope if he can fly? Well, if he has no place to fly or if he wants to appear silently, then he could need the rope.

Story

The background story and the plot of Batman Begins is good. However, the whole story could be made even sinister and more mysterious. I imagine Batman as Mothman, as a kind of phantom that appears out of nowhere and just as quickly disappears. No one knows exactly what or who he is. Many conspiracy theories have grown up around him. Some say it's the famous Mothman, other think it is a being half human and half bat. Strangely, he attacked only criminal people.

Background Story

Batman's father owns the World Group Wayne Enterprises. One day his greatest rival sends his henchmen. They invade the entire family, they pour them with a flammable liquid and set them on fire. Only the little Bruce survives with serious injuries. The butler of the family learns of the attack, and taking care of the boy. Since he is a doctor, he can help him. He buried his parents and declard him dead. The boy is a bit distorted and ekes out his existence in a massive cave beneath the estate of his parents. However, the Bulter has ensured that Bruce gets support from other people. Bruce is growing up and is now an educated young man who has only one goal in mind: justice. He hires a new butler. He does not know who he is, he can not see his face, and must follow all orders. Only in the course of time, he may learn step by step, who Bruce really is. Bruce has invented artificial muscles, from which he built a suit. The helmet has ears with which he can perceive distant sounds. He also has a night vision device with which he can see in the dark and a wave machine, with which he can see even when no light is present. A voice changer ensures that he sounds scary. His face is not visible, not even parts of it. His gloves have retractable claws that support him in climbing and fighting. The artificial muscles makes him twice to three times stronger, which is a great Support for jumps.

Sinister and terrifying.

Like a phantom.

What do you think?

PS: Sorry, if my english is faulty. I'm german.

- No. Nolan's movies are trash regardless.

- I honestly don't think that any other attempts at a Batman movie should be made as i've seen enough drivel for a lifetime.

#11 Posted by mhanuroth (208 posts) - - Show Bio

oh you are the one that wanted to do a terrible reboot of superman and now batman

#12 Posted by consolemaster001 (6026 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh...not you again.

#13 Posted by Akindoodle (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

@mhanuroth: @consolemaster001: leave him alone you guys. It's not like he's completely bashing the current versions; he's hypothesizing. Give him an answer; yes or no and reasons. Don't come to a forum just to express exasperation or disdain

#14 Posted by consolemaster001 (6026 posts) - - Show Bio

@mhanuroth: @consolemaster001: leave him alone you guys. It's not like he's completely bashing the current versions; he's hypothesizing. Give him an answer; yes or no and reasons. Don't come to a forum just to express exasperation or disdain

Ok then....NO

#15 Posted by Akindoodle (1031 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by consolemaster001 (6026 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Akindoodle (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: Ah, I see. I say no as well. Too much character development and 70 years' worth of history to completely disregard

#18 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

half of DC didnt needed a reboot

#19 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Nolan's movies were awesome.Probably the best comic adaption movies ever.

#20 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@stronger: Except for the too modern Gotham City, the tumbler (no Batmobile), the motorcycle (that was even difficult for the stuntman to control, because of the uncomfortable lying posture), the unspectacular cave and Batman's strange voice. Aside from these small flaws and in comparison to the previous films, Nolan´s work has been the best comic book adaptation, that´s right.

What do you think about the artificial, maneuverable bat wings?

#21 Edited by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@stronger: Except for the too modern Gotham City, the tumbler (no Batmobile), the motorcycle (that was even difficult for the stuntman to control, because of the uncomfortable lying posture), the unspectacular cave and Batman's strange voice. Aside from these small flaws and in comparison to the previous films, Nolan´s work has been the best comic book adaptation, that´s right.

What do you think about the artificial, maneuverable bat wings?

Well you know,these films were more realistic.

They couldn't make the batmobile look like it really is,so they made it look like a tank.

I found them OK.

#22 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the Batman origin still makes sense. Lots of people are still getting robbed/killed every day. Batman also does not need Iron Man level powers since most of the enemies of Batman are just weirdos who have no super powers and can't fly and most of the villains don't know any kung fu. With the current technology, it is secret identities which are now less believable and we are now seeing more and more superheroes who have no secret identities. Sidekicks are also obsolete and maybe future Batman reboots will erase all of the sidekicks.

#23 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@stronger: Misunderstanding: I meant my bat wings from the suit with the artificial muscles. As for the Batmobile: it should not look like in the comics, but at least it could have been a kind of car.

#24 Edited by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@stronger: Misunderstanding: I meant my bat wings from the suit with the artificial muscles. As for the Batmobile: it should not look like in the comics, but at least it could have been a kind of car.

I found them pretty cool actually.

#25 Posted by consolemaster001 (6026 posts) - - Show Bio

@stronger said:

@zardu said:

I found them pretty cool actually.

The batmobile was like a tank

#26 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: Right ... it was interesting, but inappropriate. I would rather see a car that turned into a Batmobile (such as the car in Men in Black).

#27 Posted by gettogaara (164 posts) - - Show Bio

I can understand expecting realistic emotions and relationships in comics but the gadgets? Come on man, there's way crazier things going on in DC lol.

#28 Posted by ccraft (5490 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: German? No wonder your out to destroy Batman! lol jk

Yeah you point out good flaws in Nolans Batman movie, but in comics every thing is high tech and could be possible. Like how you pointed out that there is a sort of grapple gun but is too slow and too big. But in the future people find a way to make things faster and more smaller.

#29 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: Outrageousness :-)

It is always a pleasure to see how fans try to save the impossibilities of their superheroes by any ways :-)

Yes, in the comics always everything works. Or in other words: it is shown as if it does so. Well, I prefer the realistic things. And if some ideas doesn´t work, then one can come up with something. Creativity, you know? :-)

#30 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@tacos_kickass said:

They should reinvent the Hulk.

They gave "HULK" armor ....

#31 Posted by ccraft (5490 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: I just don't see your logic in having every gadget have some sort of muscle to make it work, its more realistic to believe that technology is more advanced in the DC universe than it is today. Even more so, technology advancements are on a steady rise than it has ever been.

How and why would making Batman a man bat be more realistic!? lol

#32 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@zardu: I just don't see your logic in having every gadget have some sort of muscle to make it work, its more realistic to believe that technology is more advanced in the DC universe than it is today.Even more so, technology advancements are on a steady rise than it has ever been.

How and why would making Batman a man bat be more realistic!? lol

If some things are not made more realistic (Bat wings, e.g.) then Batman falls flat on his face. That should be worth a change :-)

#33 Posted by AkaBoAli (44 posts) - - Show Bio

No! Being that Batman is one of the most successful characters in comics right now and the flagship character for DC, the last thing that he needs right now is a reboot!

#34 Posted by ccraft (5490 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: lol nah, he just needs a parachute

#35 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: Parachute? Man, uncool :-)

#36 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11984 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mythbusters made the Batman rope gadget with normal technology, they even talk it should way more easy with military technology.

Also, it sound like Darkman meets Dracula.

The next thing you are goping to say is that he should be a Klingon.

#37 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Edited by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Although Batman needs some kind of revamp in the Justice League, I don't seem why entirely? Just seems like Geoff Johns doesn't know how to grasp Batman and write about him like Morrison and Snyder does. Maybe make him into Grant Morrison's "Batgod" again..that would be cool..

#39 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11984 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@deathpoolthet1000: And how can the rope gadget slow the flight?

Why every single Superhero need to be a flying one?

Cant we lets Batman be Batman, i mean Nolan try his best to make him human and people got pissed off, Burton made him a psychopath and people got pissed off, Adam West made him happpy and people got pissed off, the thing is that people have a bizarre idea about show the Batman is and for that reason people hates what is done to them, because in their mind is another guys it never was.

He is, was and always will be a normal human that fights crime with his skills and maybe the best quote of Nolan franchise to describe Batman: The will is everything, his will to act and do the right thing even when it sucks.

People can blame him for decisions made for him, but he gets the freacking blame from Burton, Schumacher,Donner and all the directors before him, not thinking in continuity, i mean without the continuity Marvel movies would be pretty damn boring.

Also, lets Batman be a normal human, Marvel let Tony Stark be a normal human, looks that the fact people like Iroman movies more that the rest of Marvel movies, without him, Avenger would made way less money.

This whole, but is a comic thing is boring, they need to have a human part so we care about them and like them, Batman got more popular that the rest of superheroes thanks to the fact many writters care more of his human part that the costume part.

Nolan made him human and people reaction to that was the fact he by himself and without 3d can make over 1 billion dollars.

Batman was a normal human, The Joker was a normal human(For people that dont remember the original Joker was exactly as Heath Ledger version), heck why people hates normal humans?, i mean if people wanted Godalike character, Superman would be more popular that Batman, Sentry would be more popular that Ironman, Wolverine and Spiderman.

The Superman reboot is going to be about a human Superman, where tha part Man cares more that the Super one, people gets pissed off.

#40 Posted by TheHulk (834 posts) - - Show Bio

NO! HE DOES NOT NEED ONE YET! Wait a while, then reboot him again.

#41 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Oh, sorry, I made ​​a mistake: I meant the cape (I thought of robe). I'm German.

The point is not that he has to fly. The point is that Batman "falls" down too fast. He can do what he want, it´s impossible for him too slow the speed. He would crash on the street like an egg.

For this reason there are two possibilities:

1. Parachute

2. Artificial bat wings

Superman was raised on Earth and learned in his youth that he is an alien. He believes he is a human, and he feels like a human. So, it is logical that he is shown more humanlike. A hero with no personality is boring and one-dimensional.

#42 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11984 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Oh, sorry, I made ​​a mistake: I meant the cape (I thought of robe). I'm German.

The point is not that he has to fly. The point is that Batman "falls" down too fast. He can do what he want, it´s impossible for him too slow the speed. He would crash on the street like an egg.

For this reason there are two possibilities:

1. Parachute

2. Artificial bat wings

Superman was raised on Earth and learned in his youth that he is an alien. He believes he is a human, and he feels like a human. So, it is logical that he is shown more humanlike. A hero with no personality is boring and one-dimensional.

There is many ways to explain why Batman moves at a weair speed, it could be the fact the electric cape that Lucius made could change the speed of the fall in some way.

Still, most of Superman comic books forget about Superman being a normal man and people gets crazy when you like him more like the Kansas farmboy, that the Godalike character, looks of how bad people react to human superheroes in this forum.

#43 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Imagine, today you would find out that you are an alien. Would you behave like an alien? I know what you mean. But I find it illogical.

#44 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (11984 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: No and that is the point, Superman is more human that alien and there is no point of him being an alien.

I liked Nolan Batman for the fact it was human and acted like a human.

#45 Posted by PaperDemon (617 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan's batman was fine. No reboot needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.