Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Does Batman deserve top-billing for Dawn of Justice?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

Some have complained that Batman has top-billing now, the attention will be on Batman, etc, however I have no idea why people interpret this as unfair or bad, objectively, we can see a few things:

1. Batman is the #1 superhero in Video Games (Arkham Games)
    2. Batman is #1 in ComicBook sales and often beats Superman/Wonder Woman sales combined
    3. Batman's popularity was wide-spread with The Dark Knight Trilogy

Based on this, Batman is W.B's ticket to $1 billion. W.B's had hopes for MOS to cross the $1 billion mark, but a Superman movie just can't cut it anymore --- so, is there anything wrong with using a more popular character who has served DC better than Superman has in recent years?

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't really understand how Batman having his name come first (alphabetically) automatically gives him top billing. If anything, Henry Cavill's Superman will be front and center, seeing as how he began this whole universe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was prepared to go on a rant when I clicked this thread, but you said everything very nicely in the OP. Basically, Batman is more popular and more batman equals more money

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same thing with the Batman/Superman comics. Superman's name was first for decades, now its batman.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow, people are complaining because of this?

Let's call it Robin and Batman, then, and do a bunch of other things to bring Batman down...

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is not a MOS sequel!!! It became obvious over time.this is a prequel to a justice league and a batman vs superman movie. Therefore batman having top billing doesn't matter. And superman vs batman sounds weird

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys In Tights: The Film.

That's a better title, right?

Or even better, why is no one outraged that Wonder Woman's name isn't top billed? Or Luthor's name?

It doesn't matter what it's called, it's still going to be Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman on the big screen together. Even the die hard Bat haters are going to watch it. :)

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Fallschirmjager

John Campea on AMC Movie Talk (awesome youtube show, watch it) said as - he has a background as a lawyer- it makes sense because in a court case, the accuser is listed first. In this case, Batman has a problem with Superman and is coming after him.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should've been called World's Finest anyways.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hungry_sharky: I doubt most people would realize that means we'll get Batman and Superman, though.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Personally, I don't think Video Games have anything to do with it. It's not like Superman has a video game out, anyway. Or any other hero, really. It's all Arkham and Lego Batman. By default, yeah, he's going to be the most popular since he's the only one out there, really.

That aside, I have to say, my answer is no. I mean, if he's so popular does Batman really need his name first? I would think Superman would be the one in need of the push since it's his film that's starting of DCs' shared universe. He's considered the first of his kind (superheroes,) by most people. Plus, it just seems like an excuse to put Batman at the forefront, as usual. It begs the question, is Batman the most popular because he's pushed that hard or is he pushed so hard because he's popular.

I suppose the most basic explanation for why anyone would question the move is because to the general public this is really Man of Steel II. Why is Batman getting top billing when it's not even his sequel, and we just finished his latest trilogy not too long ago?

With that said, I personally feel that Batman vs. Superman actually rolls off the tongue better than Superman vs. Batman. So It's really not a big deal to me either way, but I don't really think Batman "deserved" top billing.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

It's neither deserved nor undeserved. Top billing means absolutely nothing. It's not like people read fractions of movie titles.

@frozen said:

2. Batman is #1 in ComicBook sales and often beats Superman/Wonder Woman sales combined

Based on this, Batman is W.B's ticket to $1 billion. W.B's had hopes for MOS to cross the $1 billion mark, but a Superman movie just can't cut it anymore --- so, is there anything wrong with using a more popular character who has served DC better than Superman has in recent years?

The unlikely counterpoint to this is that people might get tired of having Batman relentlessly thrown in their faces for the last ten years.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#13 frozen  Moderator

@pokeysteve: Have you ever just thought that Batman is getting ''thrown'' at people because more people are actually buying his stuff more than other heroes? Why should DC relax someone who makes them more money than Superman and Wonder Woman combined?

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman's name isn't even in the title. It should've been called "Trinity".

But I get the feeling Batman is overrated. He's a good superhero. But EVERYONE loves him and thinks he's the best. And he's over exposed. You just get sick of hearing about him all the time. I have the same feeling about Marvel Comics in general. I blame the fact that people are more interested in movies, and don't know anything about everything else Marvel and DC does. Marvel is more popular than DC because of their movies, and Batman is the most popular DC character because of Dark Knight.

So if a hero doesn't appear in a top rated movie, he doesn't stand a chance of getting much recognition in the mainstream. The only exception is Deadpool who somehow obtained meme status, and its quite annoying to have a Marvel character shoved in my face everywhere, especially one I can't stand.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hungry_sharky said:

It should've been called World's Finest anyways.

Yeah, but that name is confusing because isnt telling you Batman is in the movie.

Even when the Poster has a giant Batman logo.

Also taking that Batman past trilogy say screw Batman in the name, The Dark Knight sounds cooler anyway and Superman is called Man of Steel.

The reason is Batman makes more money and WB only trust in Batman.

Arrow sell you the illusion Batman is in the show in some way and i am not going to talk about Arrow being Batman Begins again.

And i dont blame them for this, The Dark Knight Rises made over 1 billion so did The Dark Knight, without any 3D.

MOS failed to make the 700 millions it need to make, it made 668, 045, 518.

Without the 3D this number is way smaller.

@pokeysteve said:

It's neither deserved nor undeserved. Top billing means absolutely nothing. It's not like people read fractions of movie titles.

@frozen said:

The unlikely counterpoint to this is that people might get tired of having Batman relentlessly thrown in their faces for the last ten years.

Dont say it, for some reason people believe that type of comment are Batman hate.

Even when you point, DC fails to make other character bigger for the fact they only believe in Batman.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: The common public didn't know who The Avengers were from the name either. But it showed them off in the trailers, so it was kind of obvious.

The Avengers then went to gross well over a billion dollars.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SilverPool

Just because his name is first doesn't mean he has top billing. It's called Batman V. Superman because Batman is taking issue with Superman, it's titled in the style of a court issue.

That annoying pu**y from AMC movie talk explained it pretty well.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Y'all just be happy that Blooperman and Blunder Woman are showing up

Ask yourselves what they did to deserve that

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hungry_sharky: Not really the same thing. Marvel made it abundantly clear that they going to team up their heroes. Pretty sure at the end of Thor it even said "Thor will return in The Avengers." You at least had a vague idea of what Avengers was going to be.

DC/WB never really made it clear up until the announcement that Batman would be co-starring with Superman in the second film they were really gonna get behind. It didn't say anything like "Superman will return in World's Finest." In fact, even if they did, World's Finest to the average person could mean any number of things. Why specifically Batman and Superman?

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's batman, of course he does

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@frozen said:

@pokeysteve: Have you ever just thought that Batman is getting ''thrown'' at people because more people are actually buying his stuff more than other heroes? Why should DC relax someone who makes them more money than Superman and Wonder Woman combined?

They do the same thing with singles on the radio. If I hear "Happy" one more time I'm gonna be on the news.

@pokeysteve said:

Dont say it, for some reason people believe that type of comment are Batman hate.

Even when you point, DC fails to make other character bigger for the fact they only believe in Batman.

Both of those are sadly true. I guess after Green Lantern who can blame them right.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: Green Lantern didnt show to much faith in the character, his movie was terribly generic, used a famous "star" and it decide to go under the Transformers formula.

Besides the script was generic 90s, so it was an outdated script too.

It was a failure in the making.

I mean Nolan didnt start that well, then they had a little faith in the guy, he made over 3 billion bucks for WB.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.