Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Does Batman Always Win? Batman vs. Daredevil

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Place your bets because it's time for the hero from Hell's Kitchen to throwdown with Gotham City's protector. We all know Bruce Wayne's resources and brilliant mind makes him a more than formidable character when throwing down against a character he knows, but what if he bumps into someone he has no knowledge of and what if he isn't in Gotham to utilize his resources? That's exactly the point of this monthly segment -- to analyze how The Dark Knight would fare in a random encounter against a character from a different universe. This month, we're having Batman bump into the Man Without Fear: Daredevil.

No Caption Provided

To make sure the segment is neutral, the matches will always be a random encounter (this means neither has knowledge on the other or prep time) and in a generic, unpopulated city setting at night (NOT Gotham). They'll start roughly 50 feet apart, have their standard gear and they will be in character. Naturally, they have the objective to defeat the other character. Just like over in the Battles Forums, the winner will be declared based on who I think will take the most victories in this scenario if it played out 10 times with these settings. Additionally, it's worth noting that this segment is treating all Pre-New 52 Batman feats as canon (New Earth, of course).

Will Daredevil's agility and reflexes lead him to victory... or will Batman take the win? Read on to find out what I think!

Fighting Skill

Both of these characters have the skill to humiliate a staggering amount of humans in real life. That said, one clearly has more knowledge than the other. Daredevil underwent intense training and has a unique style which draws from boxing, ninjitsu, judo and much more. It's an incredibly effective method, allowing him to hang with (to some degree) talented characters such as Iron Fist, Punisher, Captain America and Taskmaster. Additionally, he has an advanced knowledge on pressure points. This precise set of attacks has reduced Hammerhead to tears, and allowed him to take down powerhouses like Absorbing Man and Mr. Hyde. He might not be a master of every style, but decades of comics with his encounters have proven that his mesh of various styles absolutely works.

No Caption Provided

While Daredevil has gone toe-to-toe with some of the best Marvel has to offer, I personally do not believe he has what it takes to win a firm majority over some of the more fordmiable characters listed above. In this case, Daredevil is now going against one of the best from the DC universe. Now, Batman clearly isn't the best in hand-to-hand in his world, but the man is a master of 127 different forms and, just like Daredevil, has decades of encounters proving why he's one of the best. It's fair to say Batman knows pretty much everything Murdock does and then some. Batman has more knowledge in this regard, and while both have hugely impressive feats (Matt giving Danny a good fight, Bruce hanging with Lady Shiva), I'm giving Wayne the edge in this regard due to a wealthier amount of knowledge and moves at his disposal. That said, it's by no means a landslide in this regard -- not at all, in fact. I firmly believe Matt absolutely has what it takes to give Bruce an excellent hand-to-hand encounter, just not take the victory most of the time.

Edge: Batman

Equipment/Powers

This boils down to Batman's gear versus Daredevil's radar. As always discussed in this segment, Batman's gear is a ginormous factor. While smoke pellets and batarangs would prove ineffective here, just about everything else can be a game changer if it connects. Electric attacks, cyro pellets, gas... all of these can hinder Murdock and leave him open for a solid strike to the noggin. Although, what could spell particularly big trouble for Marvel's hero is if Batman decides to utilize a sonic device. As you likely know, that's a key weakness for Murdock and using that could drop Matt's defense and then it's game over, man! Game over!

No Caption Provided

Yes, Batman's cowl and belt is packing tons of tech, but Daredevil's radar is a key factor as well. Not only will it allow him to see through smoke or dance around batarangs with ease, it'll let him keep track of the Dark Knight -- and that's huge if Wayne tries to focus on stealth. As for why Murdock can evade batarangs with ease, it's because his radar has enhanced his senses and the guy has become a regular bullet timer. Not only can he dance around gunfire, he's also swatted away bullets on numerous occasions. His superb agility and reflexes compliment his fighting style very well, making him a tough combatant for almost any street leveler. However, the variety at Batman's disposal is something that cannot be overlooked, especially when one option can almost immediately shutdown the match.

Mentality

Look, I think we can be blunt with this one. Matt's certainly an intelligent dude and he's definitely done some out of the box tactics with his enemies (distracting Bullseye with a decoy in DD #181, for example), but he's simply not Bruce's equal when it comes to being a tactician or raw intellect. Batman's often considered the world's greatest detective for a reason, folks.

No Caption Provided

While I don't acknowledge most crossovers as canon (unless otherwise stated, of course), it is worth noting that after some observation, Batman was able to detect that Daredevil's other senses are heightened base on subtle head movements and his flaring nostrils. Now, I'm not saying that'll happen every time or even most of the time, but in the event the Detective can find that out, it's safe to say he'll test the theory out with a sonic to end their little bout. Both are absolutely smart fighters, but I can say without any reservation that Batman takes it here.

Physicals

People tend to underrate The Man Without Fear's physicals because he's outclassed by Captain America in this regard (who is enhanced human, as stated by Brubaker). However, the agile hero is no slouch in this regard. He's swung around a 400 lbs barbell like a bo-staff and even tipped over an occupied limo.

No Caption Provided

While Batman has superior strength feats (like temporarily holding up a 1,000 lbs wall) and even endurance feats (see 'Knightfall'), it is Daredevil's reflexes which make me inclined to give him the nod in this regard. As stated above in Equipment/Powers, Daredevil's radar means his reflexes are fast enough to block and even deflect bullets. He's done this on plenty of occasions and often at the very last second. This, in combination with his topnotch agility, means I'm cool with giving him a small nod here. Yes, Batman does indeed have him bested in raw strength and endurance (not to mention he has peak human agility/reflexes, too), but it is DD's reflexes that greatly benefit his combat capabilities, after all.

Edge: Daredevil

Verdict

If you've been reading along in the feature, then my answer should be pretty obvious by now. While Daredevil is undoubtedly skilled and could maybe take advantage with a solid ricochet billy club toss or two, I can say with complete confidence that Batman should take a majority in this scenario. It'll be a hand-to-hand brawl worth paying to see, but at the end of the day, Batman is more indeed skilled and has more weaponry at his disposal to turn the tide. In the end, I think Batman wins via knockout 8/10. The Dark Knight takes a heavy majority, but Daredevil definitely goes down swinging and makes it quite entertaining.

No Caption Provided

Want more Batman battles?

Daredevil was selected due to overwhelming demand to see the character used in this segment. Next month, though, I'm going to be selfish and use a character (or characters) I've wanted to include for quite some time. In the meantime, what do you think of this one? Do you agree or disagree with the outcome? Speak your mind below!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ andTwitter pagein hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zeeguy91

First. And, yeah, I agree. The only real edges that Matt has against Bruce would be his radar sense and his agility. However, Bruce has a much deeper knowledge of hand to hand combat, a sharper mind, and more and better weapons at his disposal. Batman should win this.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Aprils fool! You are not getting me.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman

It's about time. What took you so long?

Take this long to give the Viners what they want and you'll be locked in the ComicVine dungeons until the next blue moon. :p

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh BTW crossovers is canon, however they are rarely in continuity. Yeah there is a difference.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

No Caption Provided

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Totally Agreed.

@k4tzm4n : Anyway you can do a "Batman vs Wolverine" or "Batman vs Taskmaster"

I am looking forward for that :)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

Totally agreed with the outcome Gregg. Batman's advantages in combat skill, equipment and mentality, he should outweigh DD's reflex and radar sense advantages quite handily. And are you doing TMNT next month? Hellz yeah! :)

Shadowmyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman vs iron fist

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#9 TDK_1997  Online

Totally agree.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I would've agreed that Batman would've won,but after reading Daredevil's powers and everything,Batman would have a hard enough time even trying to touch him.

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlickyMike88

I'm getting annoyed by this Batman always wins bullshit:P. Wonder woman would beat the crap out of him, there I said it .

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Great breakdown, Katzman. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Let's see Batman vs. Taskmaster next.

ssbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ssbm

this was really good i think it would be a little closer though more like 7/10 maybe but oh well next i would love to see batman Vs iron fist

Kid_Vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally!! WHOOOO!

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice! agree!

thejman250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thejman250

I'm getting annoyed by this Batman always wins bullshit:P. Wonder woman would beat the crap out of him, there I said it .

- Are you really getting annoyed, even though it's near impossible to compare to characters from two different universes on a factual basis?

- You have to use your opinion in these matters, unless there are cannon crossovers and they are still cannon. Even then, it will take more than one encounter and your opinion comes into play here.

- People may agree with the TC, but it's not necessarily a fact either way, it's just his/her analysis that we may or may not agree with. Thus, i suggest that you don't get too upset over it.

- Just my two cents though.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MuyJingo

Now that I think of it Nightwing vs Daredevil could be a really interesting match.

Good article, although I think physicality should have been a tie. If Batman can negate Murdock's sonar, then his strength gives him the advantage.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

No fair, you can clearly see Batman is sporting a kryptonite ring.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Agreed.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

No fair, you can clearly see Batman is sporting a kryptonite ring.

I can only do so much with MS Paint.

Totally Agreed.

@k4tzm4n : Anyway you can do a "Batman vs Wolverine" or "Batman vs Taskmaster"

I am looking forward for that :)

I already did vs. Wolverine and there's a link in the article for it ;)

@lvenger said:

Totally agreed with the outcome Gregg. Batman's advantages in combat skill, equipment and mentality, he should outweigh DD's reflex and radar sense advantages quite handily. And are you doing TMNT next month? Hellz yeah! :)

TMNT is certainly a possibility...

Great breakdown, Katzman. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Let's see Batman vs. Taskmaster next.

Thank you.

There's so much more to the feature than the lighthearted name...

@ssbm said:

this was really good i think it would be a little closer though more like 7/10 maybe but oh well next i would love to see batman Vs iron fist

Thank you.

@dernman said:

It's about time. What took you so long?

Take this long to give the Viners what they want and you'll be locked in the ComicVine dungeons until the next blue moon. :p

GASP!

@muyjingo said:

Now that I think of it Nightwing vs Daredevil could be a really interesting match.

Good article, although I think physicality should have been a tie. If Batman can negate Murdock's sonar, then his strength gives him the advantage.

Thanks.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nooo!

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this one was kind of obvious from the get go but I still think people sell daredevil short just because hes not what many people would consider an A list character. I think an interesting comparison would be how well DD holds up against elektra and how well batman fairs against lady shiva. DD might not win but I would say the final total would be more like 7/10

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even thought Daredevil is my favorite character, I knew going into Bruce would take him out. Sorry I didn't have confidence in you Matt : /

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#24 vance_astro  Moderator

Batman beating Daredevil 8/10 times? Doubt it...

silentecko711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil is one of my all time favorite characters but unfortunately I would have to say Batman has it At some point during the fight Batman is GOING to deduce that Daredevil is blind and relying on his enhanced senses and I'm sure Batman has some kind of sonic weapon on his person at all time even if he wasn't prepared for this battle :/

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Batman beating Daredevil 8/10 times? Doubt it...

Well, why don't you say what ratio you would give it in this scenario?

EnSabac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EnSabac

You should have Daredevils batons listed under equipment/powers. You also seemed to steam roll Daredevils fighting style, I believe that he would be on par with Batman.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vance_astro  Moderator

I think an interesting comparison would be how well DD holds up against elektra and how well batman fairs against lady shiva.

What's interesting about that comparison?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@ensabac said:

You should have Daredevils batons listed under equipment/powers. You also seemed to steam roll Daredevils fighting style, I believe that he would be on par with Batman.

He's not. His feats nor his level of training prove that.

@k4tzm4n said:

Because I realized after I wrote it that I was only basing my opinion on hand to hand combat and not taking Batman's equipment into account.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By detective38

The elektra/shiva comparison is interesting because it shows that daredevil can hang with elektra just about as well as batman can hang with shiva. Since both the females would widely be considered to of the most deadly street level females in their respective universes it illustrates that DD has fighting skills that are nearly on par with batman

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ensabac said:

I mention how the batons can play a critical role in the verdict. As for fighting style, sorry man, but there's literally nothing to justify the two being on par when it comes to fighting style. I'm not sure saying how he has what it takes to give him an excellent fight in hand-to-hand is "steam rolling" him, either. DD's certainly good (as elaborated on above), but Batman's simply better in that regard.

@ensabac said:

He's not. His feats nor his level of training prove that.

@k4tzm4n said:

Because I realized after I wrote it that I was only basing my opinion on hand to hand combat and not taking Batman's equipment into account.

Ah, gotcha.

maurdakar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, and he is also unchanging. That's why he's so boring.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k4tzm4n  Moderator

You might not be happy with the outcome... but do you agree with it? ;)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 owie  Moderator

Agreed on all major points. The utility belt gives him the biggest edge, especially with sonics, which I do think he'd go for eventually.

EnSabac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EnSabac

I agree with the final outcome of the fight, since Batman could easily use a sonic grenade to disable Daredevils radar and other abilities.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cmaprice
    QuantomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By QuantomMan

Man Ive waiting for this combat analysis for a while now. That was very fair. Thanks again! Can't wait for the next installment!

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No mention of the Billy Club? Not to mention that if Batman carried all that gear all the time, he would be slowed down by 200 lbs of equipment. So realistic he gadgets would be a impairment.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xanthiss said:

No mention of the Billy Club? Not to mention that if Batman carried all that gear all the time, he would be slowed down by 200 lbs of equipment. So realistic he gadgets would be a impairment.

See the verdict. As for the latter, that's clearly not the case since it has never been a factor.

@quantomman said:

Man Ive waiting for this combat analysis for a while now. That was very fair. Thanks again! Can't wait for the next installment!

You're very welcome and thanks!

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightwing vs. Daredevil would be a better fight. They both use billy clubs, one's an acrobat, the other a sort of master gymnast...

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#42 god_spawn  Moderator

I think we should like, totally have Batman vs Namor. Namor's never like even one shotted Captain America and Bats like, kicks the Spectre and makes Darkseid bleed.

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is rather a tough call because both of them are the great fighters. This is probably going to be a close-call, however I chose Batman over Daredevil.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole "Batman wins against everyone" notion is ,flawed as it only applies to his class, so he categorically cannot always win. I don't think you gave Daredevil enough credit. You'd probably say that Spider-man loses to him as well.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@k4tzm4n said:

@daredevil21134 said:

You might not be happy with the outcome... but do you agree with it? ;)

Yes I do bro

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good match up...I go with Batman for the win

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lordrequiem said:

The whole "Batman wins against everyone" notion is ,flawed as it only applies to his class, so he categorically cannot always win. I don't think you gave Daredevil enough credit. You'd probably say that Spider-man loses to him as well.

1) The title is a joke, nothing more, nothing less. I obviously do not believe Batman beats everyone.

2) If you've been following the segment (links provided in the OP, too), you'd see I believe Batman loses to Wolverine and Black Panther. Following that set of logic, it's safe to say I think Spider-Man defeats Batman, too. In fact, I've flat-out rejected requests to use him because I think the physical gap makes it too unfair.

3) If you think I'm selling Daredevil short, go ahead and prove it. You're more than welcome to make your own argument and expand your thoughts in the comments, but I feel I've given both characters proper justice in each regard, and based on the responses thus far, many agree.

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Walzo

@tupiaz said:

Oh BTW crossovers is canon, however they are rarely in continuity. Yeah there is a difference.

No, they aren't.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Stronger

@k4tzm4n: I don't think Daredevil is physically superior to Batman.

Anyway,Batman outclasses him in every aspect IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.