Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Does Bane's "respect" seem a bit thin?

Lasiurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lasiurus

Clearly I have an issue with this guy. However that's not what I'm here for. See Bane has on more than one occassion said that he respects Batman. Such as Bane telling someone that he wouldn't break their back, because he did it to Batman, and it would sully a great warrior's reputation to be grouped with them. The problem is considering what happened in Knightfall, with Bane attacking a worn out Batman. It seems like the, he respects Batman thing is just a bit weak.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

He has quite a bit of respect for Batman. He respects his physical abilities and his intellect. In Knightfall, he was testing him and he wore him down because he was watching him, to find his weaknesses. He respected him because he knew he was the big man in Gotham and Bane knew he had to defeat Batman to show the thugs who was in charge. He took down Batman because he knew he was the ultimate test of his physical, intellectual, and leadership abilities.

Lasiurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lasiurus

@G_Money_Christmas: I'm halfway seeing what you're telling me, but Bane still took on a weakened Batman, while Bane had help and was pumped on venom.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By batshrine

Lets be real here and define respect? Because I am pretty sure since preschool I was taught that respect included not attacking each other...

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmashBrawler

Bane has a warrior-like respect for Batman. He knew Batman was a formidable opponent and that's why he weakened him and attacked him in his own home. Of course, he was quite relentless, but let's not forget that Bane was high on Venom at the time. It makes sense that he had a newfound respect for Batman after getting rid of his addiction.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrShway88

Bane has "prison respect" for Batman.

Mediumguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mediumguy

@MrShway88 said:

That's as good a classification as it's gonna get.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeEddie
    No Caption Provided
    RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By RoboShark

@MrShway88 said:

haa

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis

It's how villains respect heroes.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Bruxae

He respects batmans abilities without neccessarily agreeing with his morals, whats not to understand?

He attacked a worn out Batman because its not about proving himself stronger with muscle or skill, but with your mind aswell, all your capabilities against his.. You dont see Obama strapping on the boxing gloves to go after Saddam Hussein, no he sends the troops, its about winning in the end not "my dad can beat up your dad".

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By reignmaker

@Lasiurus: What makes you think that respect means he's going to fight fair?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#13  Edited By BatWatch

I think Bane does have a sort of respect for Bruce, but as others have said, it is a warrior's type of respect. He respects him as a wrothy adversary and perhaps even as a superior combatant, but that does not mean that Bane will go easy on him.

I do think that Bane's greatness in defeating Batman is a little overblown when you consider that he really used a rather simply advantage plus a plot-convenient revelation for uncovering Bruce's secret identity.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Martian

@MrShway88 said:

LOL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.