Does anyone love Loeb's Batman?

#1 Edited by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

I was reading The Long Halloween, the art was a bit off but the story was great. Loeb is messy when it comes to Supergirl and Rulk but with Batman he's cool.

#2 Posted by Spectre108 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

I definetly love Loeb's Batman. It's his work in Marvel and Supergirl that's atrocious.

#3 Edited by entropy_aegis (14270 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Hush back when it came out,now not so much.Funnily this seems to be the case for many people.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57765 posts) - - Show Bio

No.
BB

#5 Edited by MasterDetective (799 posts) - - Show Bio

The long halloween was absolute cr*p because it has the WORST version of Batman EVER

I mean, look:

1) the so called "great detective" deduced the wrong culprit at the end, and this culprit escaped the law as a result

2) HELL, he even asks the Riddler to solve the case for him!!!!

3) Even Calendar Man deduced the truth behind the murders while being locked in a cell. Batman, are you a genius investigator or an idiot clone of inspector Clouseau?

HUSH is even worse.

#6 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. The Long Halloween and Dark Victory were amazing and easily my favorite Batman stories. Sadly Jeph Loeb though is no longer the writer he used to be and has morphed into an idiot businessman.

#7 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely like his Batman a lot. I have not read Hush in awhile. I'm sure I am a lot more critical now thank I was when I originally read it, but I suspect I would love it once more.

#8 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween and Dark Victory definitely rank very highly for me

#9 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween and Dark Victory are 2 of my favorite Batman stories ever, I really like the art in them too actually, especially the way Batman and Catwoman are drawn.

#10 Posted by neale7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Dark Victory is his best batman work. Hush is very overrated. I never used to think so, but i find it just more appealing to flick through. I think it gets so much hype because of the return of jason todd and jim lee's art.

#11 Posted by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why people hat on loeb, hes an a-hole but at the end of the day most of his runs are good.

#12 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the Long Halloween. I didn't enjoy Dark Victory as much, but it was still good. Hush was good as well. I haven't read anything else that he's worked on. 

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Hush is good if you're new in comics but if you have some experience you see it as a summary of the batman mythos.But still great

#14 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read the Long Halloween. I heard Haunted Knight and Dark Victory sucked, and since my level of Batman interest is at a low, I could not care less about any Batman stories.

The Long Halloween is awesome as hell, and should have been the story that DC is making the two part animated movie, not that pile of trash DKR. Leob in the 90's was nice, with stories like Blue, For All Seasons, and Long Halloween.

#15 Edited by mrtrickster (2307 posts) - - Show Bio

let's be honest, Lobe's batman was great

#16 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@entropy_aegis: Hush is good if you're new in comics but if you have some experience you see it as a summary of the batman mythos. But still great.

This. Though was I the only one that was enraged by the needless killing of poor Howard? Long Halloween and Dark Victory are both amazing and I would place both of them in my top ten Batman stories. Hush is overrated but still a fun story.

#17 Posted by entropy_aegis (14270 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrtrickster said:

No it really was'nt unless you're just a fan of cheesy Godfather meets mindless mystery meets misused characters.I'll throw Loeb a bone and say he wrote a fantastic Selina Kyle but that's about it.

TLH,Hush and DV will always be considered Loeb's best work not cause they were great but because he managed to trick fans in to believing so.

#18 Edited by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

im currently reading through TLH! and its very very good, agree that the art is a bit off... Looking forward to Dark Victory!

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.All of Loeb's Batman stories were great and they became iconic for the character.He is a great writer for Batman.

#20 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective: The reason I liked the Long Halloween was because it was a mystery during the whole story. the reader had to figure it out as well as batman. But I agree that it was stupid that Batman didn't figure it out.

#21 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@entropy_aegis: Hush is good if you're new in comics but if you have some experience you see it as a summary of the batman mythos.But still great

I agree with this. Hush was the first Batman story I ever read and it got me into reading Batman comics. Nowadays, It's not the best batman story I've ever read but it's by no means the worst. I like the crime drama in Long Halloween and I think Loeb wrote Harvey Dent REALLY well.

#22 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Loeb is an extremely fun writer. He does not do anything to particularly push forward the medium, and his Batman stories, with the moderate exception of the long Halloween, do not expand on the Batman mythos, but he is very talented at creating a good yarn.

#23 Posted by DarKnightNoir (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween is more than the sum of it's parts. The main thing to keep in mind is that it's still early in Batman's career. That's the time when he's making mistakes and having a hard time, sort of like how we got to see Dick Grayson struggle as Batman recently. Bruce isn't Bat-God level in YEAR TWO (which is when Long Halloween takes place as far as I know). Dark Victory might as well be a companion to The Long Halloween, I enjoy both. It's also hard to deny that Hush is a fun blockbuster of a comic book. The Catwoman dynamic really made the book for me, personally, and I thought the use of Riddler made a great resolution.

not everyone feels that way. Fair.

#24 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

TLH,Hush and DV will always be considered Loeb's best work not cause they were great but because he managed to trick fans in to believing so.

Basically this. I love the feel and atmosphere of his of batman, but ultimately none of them actually make any sense. A good murder mystery should give you all the pieces needed to solve the puzzle but still throw you off and keep you guessing until the end, so that when the killer is revealed you'll go "Of course! It's so obvious now!" Not only do Loeb's mysteries not give you all the pieces, most of the time they're flat out impossible.

It's to Loeb's credit that he can actually write such horrendously bad mysteries and still throw enough dust into the readers eyes that they (me included) don't notice it.

#25 Posted by Joelislegend (215 posts) - - Show Bio

The arc of Superman/Batman "The Supergirl from Krypton" was pretty cool. The fight scenes with Darkseid were kickass and Michael Turner did the art.

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is one of my favourite Batman stories.

#27 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Basically this. I love the feel and atmosphere of his of batman, but ultimately none of them actually make any sense. A good murder mystery should give you all the pieces needed to solve the puzzle but still throw you off and keep you guessing until the end, so that when the killer is revealed you'll go "Of course! It's so obvious now!" Not only do Loeb's mysteries not give you all the pieces, most of the time they're flat out impossible.

It's to Loeb's credit that he can actually write such horrendously bad mysteries and still throw enough dust into the readers eyes that they (me included) don't notice it.

Very much agree with both these dudes (Aegis and Phantom).

For a long time I had not read any comics and then one day a friend lent me The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Batman year One and Hush. My friend worked in a comic shop and now I'm guessing he liked Jeph Loeb and Frank Miller.

I soaked up those comics and thought they were absolutely amazing.

Lately, I have been reading a massive chronology of almost all Batman comics and I have read these comics again.

I've gotta admit, I still quite like these comics but I really really do not rate Jeph Loeb highly. I actually consider him quite shit and really did not like what he did in Hush reading it a second time around.

Now, a lot of Batman fans know that there are quite a few people who know Batman is Bruce Wayne.

I always liked how exclusive the list is

His team, Leslie Thompkins, Superman, one or two of Bruce Waynes lovers discovered his secret. J'onn and Aquaman know. I think a couple of other JLA peeps know too.

His enemies that know are Ra's Al Ghul, Bane and in a certain way, Hugo Strange.

The comic Hush pissed me off because almost every Tom, Dick and Harry suddenly knew the secret. Suddenly, Catwoman, Riddler and Thomas Elliot also know his secret.

The way some of the characters were written I didn't like either. Clayface made no sense. Joker was supposed to be at the Slab. Cassandra Cain made no appearance. Huntress was just ...there! In fact, compared to other long story arcs, I found Hush to be a very messy, confusing and rushed story.

#28 Posted by Mediumguy (166 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@mrtrickster said:

No it really was'nt unless you're just a fan of cheesy Godfather meets mindless mystery meets misused characters.I'll throw Loeb a bone and say he wrote a fantastic Selina Kyle but that's about it.

True about Catwoman, and at least Loeb evened up the relationship with catwoman knowing who Batman is.

#29 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

I like most of his Batman work but my favourite is Hush

#30 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Hush is are great graphic novels. Long Halloween and Dark Victory are in many Top Ten Batman Graphic Novel lists. I do question Batman's intelligence on how blind he was to the actual killer, but I don't think Calender Man knew who it was was, he was merely taunting Batman. The art work of Tim Sale takes a while to get used to and appreciate. I love how the characters are written and how tragic the whole thing is as it comes together. Everyone loses in that comic.

#31 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I do. Yeller Daredevil too.

#32 Posted by Mistermorriss (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

I was reading The Long Halloween, the art was a bit off but the story was great. Loeb is messy when it comes to Supergirl and Rulk but with Batman he's cool.

The art is sensational. Tim Sale is a master.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.