Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Doctor Doom is closest Marvel Counterpart to Batman

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By adamrolls

It just dawned on me that Dr. Doom is the closest marvel counterpart to to Batman. So I know this needs some explanation. So here's why.

1. Both are geniuses
    2. Both are determined to the point of obsession
    3. Both always have contingency plan after contingency plan ( planning I think is both of these characters main "power")
    4. Both have names and presence that strikes fear in those who encounter them
    5. Both have have taken on gods fearlessly ( Beyonder, and Darkeseid)
    6. Both use gadgets and inventions to even the playing ground
    7. So although planning and strategizing ,I believe is both their main power, both are masters of their of peripheral Arts that aide them in their cause( Batman martial arts and Doctor Doom Sorcery)
    8. Both are somewhat regal
    9. Both rule in Machevelian fashion
    Now to solidify my point... What about other popular choices for batman marvel counterparts? why not consider them the closest?
    1. Punisher- I gotta admit I've always thought of him as a very close counterpart due to family dying and obssessive vengeance seeking and all. But although frank does present some flashes of cleverness, The most constant I've seen him approach villains is straight up attack attack attack. And if that fails attack some more. He is too straight forward. Too reliant on fire power
    2. Daredevil-  Too goody. Not regal. I don't think he has much presence in the marvel universe. He is a blue collar street level hero
    3. Captain America.   When it comes to martial arts and fitness steve and bruce are def counterparts. Cap definitely has a presence and has taken on cosmic threats kinda like bruce. But the presence that Cap gives is not fear or dread like batman its more like hope and goodness...Kinda like superman
    4. Iron Man- both are millionaires. Both are geniuses. But Tony's genius is not in planning its in making more powerful and efficient suits.
    Let me know if you think of other connections...or of if you think this theory is unsound
    MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrShway88

Legit

Mediumguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mediumguy

Good points all around.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FatihBATMAN

good point

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By batshrine

You forget that Dr. Doom, doesn't utilize the shadows like Batman does. So yes both are scary to heroes and villains alike, but Batman relies on the darkness while Dr. Doom doesn't. He also has no secret identity, Batman does. And Batman has a family, Dr. Doom does not. It seems the one thing that you have found similar is their ability to plan things out, and you can say he is Batman's rival in creating awesome plans, but I wouldn't say counterpart.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alexander505

I totally agree with you ;)

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By adamrolls
    @batshrine: Batman does use the Shadows/stealth heavily to infiltrate, spy, and get drop on bad guys but isn't that a result of his strategy? Doom does do a a lot infiltrating and spying himself through technology and  occasionally sorcery for the same end.
    Its true batman does have a secret identity. But Batman is Bruce's true idenitity. I mean when you think of spiderman having time off he is on a date or working at the bugle. Superman on his day off he is having a picnic with Lois or finishing some deadline at the Daily planet. When Batman is not prowling the streets Bruce is in the batcave obsessing over a cold case.  Batman's secret identity as Bruce Wayne only serves to fund Batman. It wouldnt surprise me if Doom ever masqueraded as another person to serve his purpose
    I assume by family you mean the Batman family (Robin, Nightwing etc.) because his parents are dead. Well,  "family" is used loosely sometimes Bats rerefers to them as his soldiers. His soldiers and he is the leader. Kinda like Dr. Doom and the terrible trio.
    Their ability to plan is one of the main things they have in common and its what makes both of these characters so awesome. I think its what defines them.
    batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batshrine

Honestly I would put Ra's more at Dr. Doom's equivalence. The only difference is Ra's is trying to save the world while Dr. Doom (as far as I know, I may be wrong) is cookie cutter villain want to take over the world type. Which might make Lex more his equivalent. I mean Lex is a super genius, determined to the point of obsession, plan like crazy, and fits all those other criteria.

Oh and lets not forget they are both EVIL.

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adamrolls

But the aim is to assert Doom as closest marvel counterpart to Batman. Not which DC counterpart for Doom. (BTW that list would be Batman, Luthor, and Darkseid for me)

So Ra's is an eco terrorist who is addicted to the lazarus pits. He is far too dependent on his entourage to take care of him and do his bidding. He isnt too big on contingency plans either. 

Luthor is close to doom. Luthor is a master planner. But I've always thought of luthor as a counterpart to batman within that universe

Its true that Doom is depicted as a villain due to being a megalomaniac bent on control...But Batman has a tendency towards this as well ( In Kingdome come Bats turns gotham into a police state run by his BatRobot army)

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Cap10nate

Both were motivated by the loss of their parents. The soul of Doom's mother is held by a demon and he studied sorcery as a way to free her. Doom does have a family too (all his DoomBots).

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

Huh. I was gonna come in and scold you for being wrong, but your points all make very good sense. Good job, sir.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By batshrine

@adamrolls: Eh lets not put kingdom come in this discussion, non-canon and too far extreme. Many canon references show that Batman wouldn't ever cross that line.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.