Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Do you want to read stories about lesser villains?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

This is really a two-point question:

First, as the title says, are you interested in reading stories about less notorious villains? People often complain that the Joker is so drastically overused and that he always needs to be included in every significant Batman story etc. But I often wonder if people would actually buy a significant arc if the villain was less commonly used. Lets say that Scott Snyder decided that his next Batman arc would focus on Lock-Up as the primary antagonist. Or Calendar Man. Or the Ratcatcher. Or Humpty Dumpty. Would you be interested?

Secondly, what minor villains do you think deserve to gain greater notoriety? Who are the villains that have potential to be top- or mid-tier villains but have yet to cross the threshold?

For me, I'd like to see a modern comic book arc focusing on Anarky, Lock-Up, and/or Nocturna (who was the inspiration for this thread because she will be the antagonist in an upcoming arc of Batwoman).

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think comics should alternate between well known and lesser known villains, just so the well known ones don't get overused and boring, and the lesser knowns get some attention, and the chance to become well known themselves. It could be a good way for creators to show more creativity too, not having as obvious ideas to rely on.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@supbatz: Less notorious villain : Only if the story's good.I can take mediocre stories with great villians.Not the opposite though

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By kidchipotle

I would love to read stories involving minor villains. I get so sick of the jokers, two-faces, and Ra's'. I wanna see Condiment Man and Calendar Man in a long term story arc!

Hawq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hawq

If the writing is done well, why not? I personally would like to see them take on some of the more silly villains and re-invent them. Villains like Egghead, Condiment King, Killer Moth, etc. They aren't really being used anyways, so why not take them and mold them into a character you can actually include in an arc? People don't have much of an attachment to those characters, so they likely won't mind if you change them around a bit to get a villain that will actually work. I think it would be a really cool thing to see, and if done well, would make things interesting. After all, villains like Doctor Double X have some interesting aspects to emphasize on, it's just the silly aspects that need to be changed. I also think Maxie Zeus could make for an awesome villain in the comics.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm in for the long haul with Syder's Batman. I don't care what villain he uses. That being said, I'm a pretty big fan of obscure villains. Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Secret Six are two of my all time favorite team books. Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts was amazing as is Superior Foes. I'm all about some C list villains.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordoftheNorth

that would be nice the guy has three titles but the writers seem to only want to use the same villians over and over again

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

that would be nice the guy has three titles but the writers seem to only want to use the same villians over and over again

burgerkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By burgerkong

I couldn't agree more, it serves two good purpose:

1. It will make the readers interested because it introduces the B or C list villains seldom used which will be something new, hence New 52.

2. It will challenge our good ol' writers on telling an epic story using these obscure villains.

In addition, to make it also interesting why not let the villains from other titles to jump over, hawkman villains like the gentleman ghost, blockbuster or lion-mane (now a batwing villain).

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lifeofvibe

yes i would like to read more about talia or LADY SHIVA

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis

Yes I wanna see Deadshot and Zeiss again.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but some villains get forgotten for a reason.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like more stories with B category type villains, one of my favourites for example is Man Bat. He is fairly well known but not as popular, obviously, as Joker, Penguin, etc.

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Azrael_Online

like many others have said in this thread, just make the stories good and these lesser know/used villains will seem interesting and eventually they might actually develop to have the kind of popularity that well knowns have. Want a good example, look at Deathstroke.

Avatar image for ramiaquizzlinger
    RamiaQuizzlinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RamiaQuizzlinger

I think comics should alternate between well known and lesser known villains, just so the well known ones don't get overused and boring, and the lesser knowns get some attention, and the chance to become well known themselves. It could be a good way for creators to show more creativity too, not having as obvious ideas to rely on.

Alternating would be great!

As far as the specific villains, Man-Bat would be a no from me. I like Calendar Man, though, he seems so silly until you actually focus on what he's DONE. Same thing with Dollmaker. Baby-Doll, Egghead, and even False Face would bring a nice change of pace too, especially if they were updated (somewhat) to match the current story style.

One of the saddest things is that the people reading the New 52 who are new to comics might never find out about these villains if they don't get at least one issue.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I think Anarky should be explored more (the more I think about he would've been a better villain for Rises than Bane especially with continuing the Joker's chaos....). He's interesting considering, he thinks that he is "right," for Gotham and Batman isn't. On top of that he represents what Gotham is some ways, a distopian city lost in anarchy and corruption.

Also Man-Bat, he's basically is the monster that is living inside Batman and he's a good movie monster too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.