Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Do You Care that Batman: Arkham City Has No Multiplayer?

• 138 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided
    Even though the release of Rocksteady Studios' Batman: Arkham City is slated for release on September 30th, 201, the people at Rocksteady Studios seem to be consistently throwing teasers to keep us hooked and excited about the game. Yet the long wait to this fall probably means a lot of people have a lot of questions about what they can expect from the sequel to the successful video game. In a recent IGN interview, the director of Batman: Arkham City, Sefton Hill was asked a series of questions about the upcoming game, including the roles of both Catwoman and Hugo Strange as well as the decision to make Batman: Arkham City a single player game- which caught a lot of people off guard. So many games that have been released recently include a multiplayer mode, and why not? I mean, what's better than playing your favorite video game? Playing your favorite video game online with all your friends, of course. One of the best features on the X-Box 360 and the Playstation 3 is the ability to play some of your favorite video-games online with your friends on a bigger scale. The first Batman: Arkham Asylum video game was a single player experience, where the player walked through the story as Batman the detective, and it looks like the sequel will as well- at least according to Sefton Hill. 
     == TEASER == 

There have been a number of rumors circulating about a multiplayer mode in Batman: Arkham City so let me start by saying, once and for all, that Batman: Arkham City is a "single-player only" experience. Our thought process behind this was fairly simple: when we investigated adding multiplayer we asked, "If we use all of the energy that is required to create multiplayer and instead focus this on the single player, would that deliver a better overall game?" With the game now coming to the final stages, I can honestly say it would not have been possible to deliver Arkham City the way we wanted to if we'd have added multiplayer. 

No Caption Provided
    It is sort of difficult to imagine Batman: Arkham Asylum directly incorporating a multiplayer mode because the story line is so rich —but that doesn't mean that you can't have multiplayer, right? Take Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, for example. Ezio's story line is one of the richest video game stories I have ever seen —and I am no gaming expert by any means, but I'm sure a lot of you would agree. Yet, even with that rich story, game developers still managed to tack on multiplayer to AC:B, allowing gamers to play with their friends. So would the exclusion of multiplayer in Batman: Arkham City deter fans from actually purchasing the game? I'm gonna go with no. For many fans, Batman: Arkham City is a game they are looking forward to because the first game had an incredible story. Written by Paul Dini, the man responsible for Batman Detective and Batman The Animated Series; I have a very little doubt that Dini will fudge up Batman: Arkham City. Not only did Dini do a fantastic job with the first game, Batman: Arkham Asylum; but he has also made the decision to include more obscure characters like Dr. Hugo Strange in the game- a villain that is often overlooked even in the Batman comic book universe, but one that holds a phenomenal advantage over the rest of Batman's rogue's gallery due to his knowledge of Batman's true identity.
    No Caption Provided

We know Hugo Strange is going to be a completely new character to some players, but he was the perfect choice for the role of Warden of Arkham City. Hopefully the trailer at the end of last year has given you a few hints to his character and motivation. Strange makes the rules that all prisoners have to abide by. He enforces these rules with a zero tolerance policy through his Tyger security force, a force equally as fierce as the gangs the incarcerated criminal bosses have amassed. The walls and airspace are constantly patrolled by heavily armed Tyger guards who share Strange's contempt for criminals. The other dimension to Hugo Strange is that he knows Batman's true identity, which massively raises the stakes for Bruce Wayne. By entering Arkham City, Batman is vulnerable and exposed in a way that he has never been before. But don't worry if you've never even heard of Hugo Strange. Arkham City tells the story of the first time Batman has crossed swords with Strange, so you will know a lot more about him by the end of the evening.

I, like many of you, simply cannot wait for the release of Batman: Arkham City (and sort of wish it would come a bit sooner). What do you think? Will the fact that the upcoming game have no multiplayer mode affect the decision of whether or not to purchase? Are you looking forward to seeing more obscure villains in the game, like Dr. Hugo Strange for example?
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm really excited about the game, and am glad that they aren't tacking on a multiplayer mode. In the interview the guy even said that the single player would have suffered if they did include it, and I'm glad they stuck to their guns. 

guitarlicks4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By guitarlicks4

Nope, just gimme the game!

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ReverseNegative

I heard about it. It really pisses me off. I mean, come on developers, don't announce multiplayer until AFTER you have finished MAKING the multiplayer. Don't just say "Yeah, we'll make multiplayer," then realize "Oh, crap! We don't have any time left to MAKE the multiplayer that we ALREADY ANNOUNCED!" I really wouldn't care if they did or didn't have multiplayer, but just don't tell us there's gonna be multiplayer then just skip it in development. They did the same thing with Prototype.

Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crimson Eagle

I wanted multiplayer... but, if they say it will be better off without the multiplayer, then I trust them. Hope they won't fail me.
    Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ValendianKnight

Not at all. Not every game needs multiplayer, especially one so focused on delivering the ultimate Batman experience. It's all about the story for me, and if that would have needed to be sacrificed in any way just to add a multiplayer for all the COD babies than I'm glad they made the right decision. Can't wait!

Ontherun1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ontherun1994

Well I would have really liked to have multiplayer. Paying $60 for a game kinda warrants both a single player and multiplayer experience so I can continue playing after I finish the single player. But oh well, I'm still looking forward to the single player but now I may just rent the game.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By danhimself
    @ReverseNegative said:
    " I heard about it. It really pisses me off. I mean, come on developers, don't announce multiplayer until AFTER you have finished MAKING the multiplayer. Don't just say "Yeah, we'll make multiplayer," then realize "Oh, crap! We don't have any time left to MAKE the multiplayer that we ALREADY ANNOUNCED!" I really wouldn't care if they did or didn't have multiplayer, but just don't tell us there's gonna be multiplayer then just skip it in development. They did the same thing with Prototype. "
    they never made any announcement concerning multiplayer

I don't see how you could have multiplayer in a Batman game anyway...sure the characters are there to use if they wanted to but what type of game play would the multiplayer be?
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Nope, didn't want multiplayer, and glad I'm not getting it.

If you think paying 50-60 for  game should get you multiplayer I only have one thing to say to you: Fallout 3

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By jamdown

Just punched a hole in my wall
    comicbookguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By comicbookguy

i kinda prefer it without multiplayer because it would of just be tacked on like the bioshock multiplayer and no one would really want to play it after a week or two. It would just be there to try to generate more money and i feel would cheapen the overall game, and if that were to be the case that they did implement it the  fact is that it would take time and resources away from the development of the main game which is what people are buying the game for anyway. IMO mutliplayer should just stick to games that are specifcally designed around it such as the call of duty franchise or games where it makes sense to have it such as sport or racing games.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rmanthorp

I am more than happy that it doesn't have a multilayer mode, be it co-op competitive or something else altogether, I just want another epic Batman story!

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ComicCrazy

ITS GONNA BE GREAT
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Nope actually i prefer it, Batman should be alone. The Batman that we are seeing in the big media today is all alone shouldn't that Batman in games be the same?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

No, I do not care.
    I will just end up watching my brother play it anyway.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
    @jamdown: is that good or bad...
    mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mpgeist

I'm excited they won't compromise the quality of the game to fit it in. If they could have done great MP and great MP I wouldn't have been opposed.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By goldenkey

The thing I want done seems simple enough.  The boards that are replayable again after finding the riddlers question marks are a lot of fun.  But the bad guys keep walking around in the same course of action.  Have the A.I. better so it changes it up and it's not stale.  The game was great and being able to go back and do some of the boards again was great also.  A lot of them were a lot of fun.  Can't wait for this game to come out.  Gotta get.  But first.  Fight Night Champion
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By The Sadhu

Nah, don't care... game is still gonna rock anyway!
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By The Hobgoblin

I'm glad this game isn't multiplayer. I just care about my Kevin Conroy voiced Batman and his story.

Avatar image for nomadicxnightmare
    nomadicxnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the gameplay of Arkham Asylum (and from what I understand, Arkham City will be quite similar) I think adding a multiplayer mode would have been a seriously bad move, so I'm not at all disappointed. I like Co-op as much as the next guy, but a game focusing on a character like Batman in such a incredible story, multiplayer would prove more of a distraction. And really, who would Player 2 be anyway? Robin? I'll pass. Nightwing? Bah. Catwoman? That would probably derail much of the overall plot and I can just picture guys ogling her more then playing the game. :P
    dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dvorak

Co-Op could have been kind of cool, but I'm glad they focused in on single-player.

RigorMorty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RigorMorty

Co-Op would be awesome. like one person as batman and the other as either robin or nightwing, preferably nightwing.

stephaniebrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stephaniebrite

Multiplayer would have been fun, but I don't mind that Arkham City's only single-player. It will still be a fantastic game, and like @hydrabob said:

"Batman should be alone. The Batman that we are seeing in the big media today is all alone shouldn't that Batman in games be the same? "
    Even with all the Robins and other supporting characters, Batman's still a pretty solo figure.  
    Who knows, maybe in a future game we'll get a sort of bonus mode like in Time Splitters: Future Perfect that will let there be some multiplayer function? Would be cool, but lack of multiplayer doesn't detract from the game at all. I'm still stoked for it. 
    Jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jondan

Don't care about multiplayer for this game at all. 
    Kevin Conroy is doing the voice, and Paul Dini is doing the story. 
    That's plenty for me.

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

The first game had such a good single player storyline and I'm glad they decided to spend their time developing an even better storyline for Arkham City. Some games you buy for the multiplayer; this game isn't one of them

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@stephaniebrite:  i know i started pre-ordering it in October
    Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By Sir Duke

Thank God there's no multiplayer!  Now they can focus on making the best damn single player they can.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @danhimself said:
    " @ReverseNegative said:
    " I heard about it. It really pisses me off. I mean, come on developers, don't announce multiplayer until AFTER you have finished MAKING the multiplayer. Don't just say "Yeah, we'll make multiplayer," then realize "Oh, crap! We don't have any time left to MAKE the multiplayer that we ALREADY ANNOUNCED!" I really wouldn't care if they did or didn't have multiplayer, but just don't tell us there's gonna be multiplayer then just skip it in development. They did the same thing with Prototype. "
    they never made any announcement concerning multiplayer   I don't see how you could have multiplayer in a Batman game anyway...sure the characters are there to use if they wanted to but what type of game play would the multiplayer be? "
    Yeah, they did. They mentioned something about co-op, I think.
    WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WizardShazam

I would probably like the game less if they did add a multiplayer mode.

antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By antiterra

GREAT NEWS! I'm glad Rocksteady are focusing on what matters most in a Batman game: presenting a good story, recreating an authentic world and replicating the experience of "being Batman" as well as possible.

I prefer story-driven games, so not having multiplayer is usually good news for me: it means that the devs focused all of their resources on crafting a solid single-played campaign instead of wasting them on tacked-on, unbalanced MP à la Dead Space 2, Bioshock and any number of games that nobody plays online after the first month anyway.

Anything that isn't built and designed from the ground up with MP in mind shouldn't bother with it at all - but of course, publishers love having it as an extra bullet point on the back of the case and using it as a way to combat used game sales (see EA's lovely "Project Ten Dollar").

It's truly a sad state of affairs that so many gamers today will pass on brilliant games because they don't have MP, but gladly spend their money on rehashed tripe like the yearly COD installments.

HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HarlequinKiss

I'm kinda sad about it, I wanted to play it with my brother :< 

BUT STILL TOTALLY STOKED AND I CAN'T WAAAAAAAAIT :DDDD

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I could certainly say I could care less if this has multiplayer or not. As long as the single player is as good or more so than the first game. Multiplayer on this would just feel weird. You'd just have a bunch of people running around as Batman. Only thing I could think of that could be interesting would be Co-op missions where sone person plays Batman and another plays Catwoman to work to some goal, but that would mean Catwoman would have to play drastically different.

September is just too far away, damn it!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By danhimself
    @ReverseNegative said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @ReverseNegative said:
    they never made any announcement concerning multiplayer   I don't see how you could have multiplayer in a Batman game anyway...sure the characters are there to use if they wanted to but what type of game play would the multiplayer be? "
    Yeah, they did. They mentioned something about co-op, I think. "
    rumor
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a single player, so I this doesn't affect me in any negative way.  For once in my life, my heart goes out to those of you dating or in the throws of matrimony. ~_^

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Silver Knight75

How would've multi-player worked? being Catwoman or Nightwing?

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sexy_merc

Multi-player is a bad idea for this game, so no, I don't care.

HumanTorch101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HumanTorch101

I was gonna buy this game no matter what but I love that Sefton said why spend time on MP when we can make the SP that much better?  Can't wait to play this game since the first one was so great.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheMess1428

Hopefully we can get a trilogy out of this...

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

Multiplayer would've stopped me from buying the game. So I guess it does matter to me.

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By undeadpool

Multiplayer wouldn't have been a make or break for me, and I really liked Assassin Creed: Brotherhood's multiplayer, but I'm glad they're going in this direction instead.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

No because Batman Arkham Asylum was not multiplayer and I still loved it. 

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By nefarious

Nope.

RYNO9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RYNO9881

no challenge rooms. I liked those

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mumbles

don't care either about multiplayer. just don't delay the game.

ENGLENTINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1004

#46  Edited By ENGLENTINE

Couldn't care less. Really, I still play through the story of the first game. Even though I am reaching double digits on the play through.
    Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cybexx

I'm glad they decided to focus all their resources on single player, they are already making a bigger game, also adding multiplayer could have been too much to handle.

That said I wouldn't mind some seperate co-op campaign in a future game. Question is who would he pair up with? Robin? Catwomen? Killer Croc?

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
    DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Crimson Eagle said:
    " I wanted multiplayer... but, if they say it will be better off without the multiplayer, then I trust them. Hope they won't fail me. "
    HermanMarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HermanMarte

happy it doesn't have it, some games just don't need it

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By SpidermanWins

Just make a playable Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.