different batman titles

#1 Posted by tentacle_man (17 posts) - - Show Bio

i live in europe and i started reading the german editions which came out monthly.

now i'm reading the german ones, which is courently about th ecourt of the owls

and i read the first 13 issues of detective comics in english, but what i never understood was the fact why there are so many differnt batman series'.

now my question:

what is the difference between all of them, especially between detective comics, batman, and the dark knight?

how can these three happen at the same time... i mean, batman is still a human, and his cases r really tough,

shouldnt he be concentrating on one case at the time?

i understand that people like to read more about the dark knight, than only one ongoing series, but what is the logical connection between the storys?

plz help me out people

thx, tentacle_man

#2 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably one story happens after the other

The reason they do this is because a lot of author want to write their own takes about batman and because dc loves money

#3 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2198 posts) - - Show Bio

1. There's nothing different between the Batman books other than the creative teams working on them. Each book is supposed to reflect a different kind of Batman story, with Batman being the superhero style book, Detective Comics being all about detective work, and Dark Knight being those creepy stories. Doesn't necessarily equal that in practice, though.

2. They're not happening at the same time. Batman stars in a bunch of books because he's popular, but that doesn't mean all of his adventures are happening at once. The timeline for Batman, and any superhero character for that matter, is typically worked out before or after each story ends, though some stories in all of the books are happening at the same time in the event of a crossover or are noted to be taking place before or after a specific story in another book. Rule of thumb is that most stories, though lasting several months, can pretty much happen over the course of a day or two while others can span weeks. So, Batman could be chasing Riddler over a span of two months, and while doing that, squeeze in time to fight Killer Croc or whatnot.

3. No, he shouldn't. Police detectives rarely focus on one case at a time, Batman is no different.

4. The connection is that Batman is a popular character and people like reading Batman stories, which is why he has a lot of books out in a single month.

#4 Posted by tentacle_man (17 posts) - - Show Bio

k ... thx, i understand. i read, a couple of issues of the new52 the dark knight, but didn't like it, different than detective comics. i thought it was a bit childish. i liked detective comics (most of them) but i didn#t like the storys to end unfinished. most of them did. anyway, thx for the answer

#5 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@tentacle_man said:

what is the difference between all of them, especially between detective comics, batman, and the dark knight?

Well, for starters they each have different creative teams of writer, inkers, and colorist. Tone and plot-wise they're also different.

shouldnt he be concentrating on one case at the time?

(chuckles) He's Batman. He can do anything. Also: its a comicbook, see comment below.

how can these three happen at the same time

Continuity is kind of an issue. Logically the stories can't all happen at the same time, but in comics he can be anywhere the story needs. You'll get used to it.

i understand that people like to read more about the dark knight, than only one ongoing series, but what is the logical connection between the storys?

Ocassionally one book will reference events in another. Its all canon. DC knows that Batman is incredibly popular and will almost always sell well, so they put out as many stories as possible.

#6 Edited by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

yea..its just deifferent stories... :D

not all in the SAME timeline

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.