Did anyone think Rachel Dawes was a better love interest than

• 56 results
#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Selina Kyle?

I actually did.

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12467 posts) - - Show Bio

Rachel Dawes was the worst. I was so happy when she died. Ugh.

Moderator Online
#3 Edited by havoc1201 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

especially when they casted Maggie Gyllihall, its sad when her brother could play a more attractive woman and love interest then her, sorry Maggie

#4 Posted by wessaari (622 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya, I really didn't like her character, and really didn't like how Maggie played her. She was so whiny and complained and was going to screw over Bruce, its just messed up. I did thing that her death was the best thing that could happen to her, not in a mean way but it was unexpected and motivated the characters and drove the plot in a darker place

#5 Posted by srk12 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

No way. Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle was all kinds of awesome. I actually think Katie Holmes did a decent job with Rachel in Batman Begins even though the character was still bland but Maggie Gyllenhall's version was annoying. I was quite happy when she got blown up.

#6 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

Selina Kyle?

I actually did.

Yeah much better.

Catwoman just felt totally forced in the movie. Not to mention she owned BAtman 3 times, yet he was absolutely fine with it.

Rachel Dawes is probably the best Bruce Wayne love interest after Pre-Morrison Talia

#7 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehh Not really. Batman's had better and more interesting love interests.

#8 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Just thinking about this was any of the love interests any bit interesting at all because I don't find any of them memorable in either the burton/ shumacher or Nolan films. In fact the real memorable ones are animated.

#9 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

Selina Kyle?

I actually did.

She felt useless. I'm annoyed that Nolan chose to include her in the first place

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@srk12 said:

No way. Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle was all kinds of awesome. I actually think Katie Holmes did a decent job with Rachel in Batman Begins even though the character was still bland but Maggie Gyllenhall's version was annoying. I was quite happy when she got blown up.

Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle was god awful. Michelle Pfiffer crushed her.
#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#12 Posted by srk12 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I am not comparing the two Catwoman's. They were far too different to compare. I think Anne Hathaway was awesome in TDKR and Michelle Pfeiffer was wonderful in Returns but I much prefer the version in TDKR. Pfeiffer's version was just too out there for me.

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

No.

These.

Rachel was awful in Begins, but decent in The Dark Knight, and her death served a purpose. But Selina crushed her. So much chemistry with Bats.

#14 Posted by conradoaccorsi (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Please,Catwoman is totally better.

#15 Posted by John Valentine (16306 posts) - - Show Bio

No, just no.

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@srk12 said:

@Vance Astro: I am not comparing the two Catwoman's. They were far too different to compare. I think Anne Hathaway was awesome in TDKR and Michelle Pfeiffer was wonderful in Returns but I much prefer the version in TDKR. Pfeiffer's version was just too out there for me.

I know you aren't. I am. Anne Hathaway basically played herself in a Batman film, there was nothing "Selina Kyle" about her.
#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@ApatheticAvenger said:

Huh, couldn't disagree with you more.

Care to Elaborate?
#20 Posted by Kairan1979 (16712 posts) - - Show Bio
@Suprman said:

Ehh Not really. Batman's had better and more interesting love interests.

Exactly. Even Doc Chase Meridian in Batman Forever was more interesting.
#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12586 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@srk12 said:

I know you aren't. I am. Anne Hathaway basically played herself in a Batman film, there was nothing "Selina Kyle" about her.

this. Pfeifers was hotter too

#22 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked her in Batman Begins as she appeared smart, quick-thinking, and had courage to stand up against crime even if it meant losing her life. But in The Dark Knight she just came off as a hypocrite; in BB she tells Bruce she'll wait for him, but in TDK she basically takes back what she says because, apparently, waiting a few months to a year is waaaaay too long to wait for someone you appeared to have loved...

I also liked Katie Holmes more than Maggie Gyllenhaal

#23 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I've always liked her but maybe that's because I didn't start reading comics til two years ago. I didn't really like Rachel in The Dark Knight but love her in Batman Begins. Her and Selina are my two favorite women for Bruce.

#24 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Dawes was just god awful uninteresting. I wish they killed her off earlier and introduced Selina in TDK since it was based on Long Halloween. This way we could have seen her again in TDKR.

#25 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

In Batman Begins, I'd say they were about even. Both Rachel in BB and Selina in TDKR felt to me as if they were mostly there to fill a role, but I would give Rachel the edge because of The Dark Knight simply because the writers actually had a more interesting (I'll stop short from saying unique) dynamic between her and Bruce.@War Killer said:

I liked her in Batman Begins as she appeared smart, quick-thinking, and had courage to stand up against crime even if it meant losing her life. But in The Dark Knight she just came off as a hypocrite; in BB she tells Bruce she'll wait for him, but in TDK she basically takes back what she says because, apparently, waiting a few months to a year is waaaaay too long to wait for someone you appeared to have loved... I also liked Katie Holmes more than Maggie Gyllenhaal

I'm not with you on Holmes, but you bring up a good point about Rachel being unable to wait for a couple months. On the other hand, have you ever met a girl? They go pretty quickly from "I love you," to "I never want to see you again."

#26 Posted by JakeN7 (11060 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

Selina Kyle?

I actually did.

Please hand in your Bat-Fandom card...NOW!

I'll admit that the relationship of Rachel Dawes was more important in the Batman Nolanverse because it was constantly shoved down our throats. But, Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was a much better, more rounded, attractive, and consistent character who showed lots of development throughout the movie. Also, Catwoman in the context of comics is pretty much Bruce's soulmate.

#27 Posted by JakeN7 (11060 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@srk12 said:

Really!? I didn't get that all...

Both me and my mom don't really like Anne Hathaway that much and we absolutely loved her portrayal of Catwoman. I thought she was perfect and encapsulated Selina's personality perfectly. Hell, if you just compare Anne's Selina to her Fontaine, then you can see the range of her acting skills. I thought everything about her was "Selina Kyle." Maybe you've been reading too much of Ann Nocenti's New 52 Catwoman and forgot what Selina is truly like, because at this point I'm getting the impression that you thought Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was worse than Halle Berry's "Catwoman."

#28 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@BatWatch said:

@War Killer said:

I liked her in Batman Begins as she appeared smart, quick-thinking, and had courage to stand up against crime even if it meant losing her life. But in The Dark Knight she just came off as a hypocrite; in BB she tells Bruce she'll wait for him, but in TDK she basically takes back what she says because, apparently, waiting a few months to a year is waaaaay too long to wait for someone you appeared to have loved... I also liked Katie Holmes more than Maggie Gyllenhaal

I'm not with you on Holmes, but you bring up a good point about Rachel being unable to wait for a couple months. On the other hand, have you ever met a girl? They go pretty quickly from "I love you," to "I never want to see you again."

If we were talking about a 14 year old girl in high school I could probably agree with you. But her feelings for Bruce weren't just some crush, this is a guy whom she's known since they were kids, who grew up together and probably know each other better than most would. She was one of the few that Bruce actually revealed his identity as Batman too, thus confirming their close friendship even more. But it was a bit selfish to go from "I love you and will wait for you" to "yeah, that stuff I said about waiting for you? Yeeeaaah, I found someone else sooo..yeah, forget what I said." Just came off a bit odd  in my opinion.

But overall, I do feel Batman has better love interest than her, so it's not that big of a deal in whole scheme of things.
#29 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really buy any of the love interests for Bruce Wayne, they were all incredibly forced, especially Rachel. At least with Kyle there's potential at the end.

#30 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@JakeN7 said:

Really!? I didn't get that all...

Both me and my mom don't really like Anne Hathaway that much and we absolutely loved her portrayal of Catwoman. I thought she was perfect and encapsulated Selina's personality perfectly. Hell, if you just compare Anne's Selina to her Fontaine, then you can see the range of her acting skills. I thought everything about her was "Selina Kyle." Maybe you've been reading too much of Ann Nocenti's New 52 Catwoman and forgot what Selina is truly like, because at this point I'm getting the impression that you thought Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was worse than Halle Berry's "Catwoman."

Maybe it's just me but I hear people say the same thing about Bale with Batman. "He captured Bruce Wayne perfectly, the only issue is when he's Batman trying to mask his voice" and I completely disagree. When I see Bale as Bruce Wayne and Hathaway as Selina Kyle I just see Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway playing a part. Heath Ledger as the Joker, that's how you BECOME a character. When I go see comic adaptation films, that's what I want to see. When I went to see Wolverine, I wanted to see WOLVERINE, not Hugh Jackman with claws. That's what I get out of Bale and Hathaway, it's just them with costumes on. I've read quite a bit of Catwoman took. I read most of Volume 2, I read Brubaker's entire run, I even read some of the Golden Age stuff back when she used to wear a cat mask and a cape. Nothing I saw from Anne Hathaway was identical IMO.

#31 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: I've seen plenty of adult women play the old, "I love you forever." Two months later, "I never want to see you again," nonsense. A lot of people, both male and female, never really mature past adolescence anyway. I was mostly joking though.

Good point about this being a long term friendship first though. That kind of changes things.

#32 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

She was horribly cast! What he said!

#33 Posted by firecracker22 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Maggie was way better than Holmes. It was a low bar, but still. And even though I like Maggie as Rachel...I didn't think she had good chemistry with Bale. But, maybe that was for the better though, since in the end she chose Dent over Bruce. I think Selina was better, and it pretty much entirely rests on the chemistry Hathaway had with Bale. They worked really well onscreen, and I think that translated. She actually seemed to care about Bruce by the end, where Rachel seemed to always have something to hate or a gripe against Bruce in both films.

#34 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6436 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. She did well.

#35 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@srk12 said:

Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle was god awful. Michelle Pfiffer crushed her.

LOL. No.

#36 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Holmes and Bale had chemistry. I liked the relationship they had in Batman Begins, she was one of the few that knew Bruce from a child and didn't care about his money. Something just seemed right. Hated her in TDK, even though I loved TDKR. The relationship didn't work, it was all going so fast with him and Selina Kyle, there wasn't any chemistry. It just felt forced, it went from flirting to a relationship pretty fast. What Bruce saw in her was never really explained well. Just my two cents, but Holmes/Bale worked well.

#37 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

I think i know why cus we see them grow up together in BB, and have some sort of relationship, and in our subconsciousness we know they grow up together, so in TDKR Selina and Bruce establish something fast...you know, for movie purposes, so thats why it maybe felt too fast for you.

#38 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2692 posts) - - Show Bio

no not at all, you might be the only person who thinks so :)

#39 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

WORD!!!

#40 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Selina more than Rachel though..

#41 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

I think i know why cus we see them grow up together in BB, and have some sort of relationship, and in our subconsciousness we know they grow up together, so in TDKR Selina and Bruce establish something fast...you know, for movie purposes, so thats why it maybe felt too fast for you.

Yeah this was it. I just felt Selina and Bruce didn't work, she betrayed him like two times and he's still saying ''there's good in you''.

#42 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

Yeah this was it. I just felt Selina and Bruce didn't work, she betrayed him like two times and he's still saying ''there's good in you''.

yeah...alas at the end...there was good in her hehe

#43 Edited by ashraf_wayne (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Meridian was wayyyyy better. Glad Nolan killed her off.

#44 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5951 posts) - - Show Bio

She was ok

#45 Edited by Bruxae (12661 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#46 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

They were both bad. Dawes less so.

#48 Posted by Black_Claw (2918 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw Rachel. I was possibly the only person in the theater that cheered when Joker killed her.

#49 Edited by Amaryllis (73 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: Agree. The only chemistry he had in TDKR was with Talia. Catwoman was just the only one left so it was forced.

#50 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: Agree. The only chemistry he had in TDKR was with Talia. Catwoman was just the only one left so it was forced.

I still can't even figure out why he kept trusting her. She betrayed him at every turn, and never once showed any sign of being a good person (to Batman). He just kept trusting her and got lucky when she happened to come back at the end.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.