Dick Grayson shouldn't be the next Batman.

• 83 results
#1 Edited by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would you choose to pick up the cowl in Gotham?  and why?

I would choose Jason Todd. He does the things he has to do in order to get the job done. Bruce could've learned a thing or two from him. Maybe he wouldn't have had his back broken, or maybe he wouldn't have *died*, AND CAME BACK, or maybe he wouldn't have let Joker kill his only friend. Dick is too much like Bruce. Except he lacks the discipline Bruce had. So who would you choose? And Why?

#2 Posted by karrob (4267 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have picked Dick. He is everything Bruce (less money and brains) is but smart enough to know that a one man war will get you nowhere. Dick has the experience, knowledge and respect to get aid from places Bruce never could. Jason is good but mentally unbalanced...would you want a mentally unbalanced (anti) hero running around...He might take out his anger and frustration on the wrong people.

#3 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know who i would pick but i will never be Jason Todd. he is pure evil. worst then Joker. He knows right from wrong or at least had someone show him the right path. he turned his back on Bruce and the right path. 
#4 Posted by RightScar (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian should be the next Batman.You should only be allowed to be Batman if you are a biological son of the original...I don't mean now either.Obviously he's still a kid but the mantle of Batman should be passed down through blood relatives.

#5 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Todd could never be Batman, he's just not suitable for the mantle.

#6 Posted by daredevil21134 (9086 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Todd is fine as the Red Hood
#7 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
"Jason Todd is fine as the Red Hood "

This. They just need to change his uniform back.
#8 Posted by StarKiller809 (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like thinking about a day where Bruce Wayne is no longer Batman, so I never do, but I am going to. 

I think that Dick Grayson is probably the best choise for Batman. He is the first Robin so he has learn more things then the other Robins because he has had more experience. I do like Jason Todd and I want to see him back in the Bat Family, I don't think he is able to be Batman.
#9 Posted by The Umbra Sorcerer (8032 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
"Jason Todd is fine as the Red Hood "
This. They just need to change his uniform back. "
Double This. 
#10 Posted by DEGRAAF (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked Jasons variation of the Bat mantle but i ultimately would choose Dick Grayson. I like Bruces Batman and think it is good when it comes to instilling fear in the enemy. Dick just isnt as scary because he talks more, he smiles, and he works well with others.  

If you want someone almost identical to Bruce, Tim would be the closest at this point. He has the ability to instill fear, and is a great detective. He lacks in fighting skill compared to Bruce and Dick but there are still few with more skill in the DCU then the Bat family and where he lacks in fighting skill he makes up for in planning. 

Damien will eventually become the closest resemblance to Bruce when it comes to batman, he is already a skilled fighter/assassin, he is learning patience and detective skills now. 

If i could choose i would have Bruce, Dick and Tim all be in the mantle of Batman at the same time. That trio is a good fight for anyone.
#11 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rudyftw:

Cool story bro.
#12 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL@ Bruce's only friend.  

#13 Posted by johnny_spam (2028 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick was the best choice Jason is unstable and violent Tim would fit to comfortably meaning less story telling drama Dick had to become Batman through obligation and slowly found his way and was a different Batman it was for the best he became Batman.

#14 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rudyftw:  Why do fans not older enough to truly know why Todd was voted to Die think he is more deserving then Dick to wear the cowl next?
#15 Posted by Lukewaffe (4 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silkcuts:  Exactly! 
Dick Grayson is an absolute boss, the person who has literally been trained the longest by Bruce to take up the mantle. He deserves it completely
#16 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lukewaffe said:
" @Silkcuts:  Exactly! Dick Grayson is an absolute boss, the person who has literally been trained the longest by Bruce to take up the mantle. He deserves it completely "

co- signed
#17 Posted by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio
@RightScar: @RightScar said:
" Damian should be the next Batman.You should only be allowed to be Batman if you are a biological son of the original...I don't mean now either.Obviously he's still a kid but the mantle of Batman should be passed down through blood relatives. "
If not Todd, Then i'd pick Damian too... gotta keep it in the family
#18 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio

if I couldn't pick Dick Grayson then right now I would choose Tim Drake...maybe if we some more character growth out of Damian in the future then I might pick him but as for right now he's to immature and not disciplined enough

#19 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

If you think about it, Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian all reflect different aspects of Bruce's personality. Dick has the fighting prowess, Jason has the ruthlessness, Tim has the superb detective skills, and Damian has the scariness. Personally, I don't think Bruce can be replaced by anyone.

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rudyftw said:
" @RightScar: @RightScar said:
" Damian should be the next Batman.You should only be allowed to be Batman if you are a biological son of the original...I don't mean now either.Obviously he's still a kid but the mantle of Batman should be passed down through blood relatives. "
If not Todd, Then i'd pick Damian too... gotta keep it in the family "

Dick was the first one Bruce had.He enjoys the respect of almost everyone.The mantle of the bat is'nt some crown to be passed along with family.It has to earned.Dick has earned it,Tim more or less is on path of earning it while damian is acknowledging this very fact,accepting it and using it to earn the right.
#21 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lukewaffe said:
" @Silkcuts:  Exactly! Dick Grayson is an absolute boss, the person who has literally been trained the longest by Bruce to take up the mantle. He deserves it completely "

QFT.
#22 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:
Good thing there isn't a height requirement because Bruce towers over Dick. lol
#23 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:

" @entropy_aegis: Good thing there isn't a height requirement because Bruce towers over Dick. lol "

LOL.

I'll even go with Jean Paul Valley if not for Dick.A oneshot showing Jason would be interesting but nothing beyond that.    

#24 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:
I love Jason Todd, but I prefer him as Red Hood.
#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
" @entropy_aegis: I love Jason Todd, but I prefer him as Red Hood. "

I prefer to think of him as jason todd,not hood,nightwing,batman or whatever he became.All those identities were weak.
#26 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:
Yeah, that would be cool for him to establish his own identity instead of taking up someone else mantle.
#27 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@RightScar said:
"Damian should be the next Batman.You should only be allowed to be Batman if you are a biological son of the original...I don't mean now either.Obviously he's still a kid but the mantle of Batman should be passed down through blood relatives. "

Your a slippery one Vance.For a second i did'nt recognize you.
#28 Posted by JonesDeini (3616 posts) - - Show Bio
@karrob said:
" I would have picked Dick. He is everything Bruce (less money and brains) is but smart enough to know that a one man war will get you nowhere. Dick has the experience, knowledge and respect to get aid from places Bruce never could. Jason is good but mentally unbalanced...would you want a mentally unbalanced (anti) hero running around...He might take out his anger and frustration on the wrong people. "
that's it in a nutshell. I wouldn't trust Jason Todd to manage a damned Quick-E Mart, let alone oversee the protection of an entire city. At the end of the day we all know there's only one Batman and that's Bruce Wayne. I like Dick's Batman Stories but sooner or Later I want him to leave Gotham and get back to doing his own thing, possibly with a new Nightwing costume. 
#29 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini:
LOL @ Quick -E Mart.
#30 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53 said:
" @Lukewaffe said:
co- signed "
Thanks guys
^_^
#31 Posted by JonesDeini (3616 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @JonesDeini: LOL @ Quick -E Mart. "
Well it's no secret that I'm no fan of Jason Todd...to any extent. I prefer him in a box...underground...being eaten by worms. I generally avoid things he's in, which is why I'll definitely be kicking Batman And Robin out of my pull list as soon as Tomasi/Gleason rap up their arc. 

In my mind there has always and will forever be one heir to Batman's legacy and that is...Terry Mcginnis. I feel this way because I just don't see Dick or Tim lingering under Bruce's shadow or control. Dick proved this years ago and Tim's truly come into his own as Red Robin and I feel this title best suits him as he journeys into manhood. I don't see Damien as a viable option and feel like he's just not going to pan out in the longterm. I feel like sooner or a later a writer who dislikes him as much as many fans does will off him. The way that Batman Beyond handled the splintering/drifting of the Bat Family was excellent and I think logically that's how things would end up. Bruce refusing to stop fighting the good fight until his body stops for him then being forced to give up the suit, but not control. In fact I could conceive Bruce using either magic or tech to retard or completing stop his aging so he can wage his jihad indefinitely. I mean he does know where Ra's keeps those handy, dandy Lazarus pits. Bruce is so Iconic that none of his proteges, talented and skilled as they are, can ever hope to replace him. Either in the eyes of real world fans or the people of the DCU. I do think it's a good look that DC's trying to pass on the mantle and make Batman a legitimate legacy character. That's one aspect of DC that I love, they're all about legacies. But it's nigh impossible to pass on the mantle of Batman or Supes. When I'm 50 my son will still be reading the adventures of Bruce Wayne, which is comforting but paradoxically disheartening. I mean my father had Hal Jordan and Barry Allen and I had Kyle Rayner and Wally West. I'd love for my son to have "his" Batman.  
#32 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
" @entropy_aegis said:
" @JonesDeini: LOL @ Quick -E Mart. "
Well it's no secret that I'm no fan of Jason Todd...to any extent. I prefer him in a box...underground...being eaten by worms. I generally avoid things he's in, which is why I'll definitely be kicking Batman And Robin out of my pull list as soon as Tomasi/Gleason rap up their arc. In my mind there has always and will forever be one heir to Batman's legacy and that is...Terry Mcginnis. I feel this way because I just don't see Dick or Tim lingering under Bruce's shadow or control. Dick proved this years ago and Tim's truly come into his own as Red Robin and I feel this title best suits him as he journeys into manhood. I don't see Damien as a viable option and feel like he's just not going to pan out in the longterm. I feel like sooner or a later a writer who dislikes him as much as many fans does will off him. The way that Batman Beyond handled the splintering/drifting of the Bat Family was excellent and I think logically that's how things would end up. Bruce refusing to stop fighting the good fight until his body stops for him then being forced to give up the suit, but not control. In fact I could conceive Bruce using either magic or tech to retard or completing stop his aging so he can wage his jihad indefinitely. I mean he does know where Ra's keeps those handy, dandy Lazarus pits. Bruce is so Iconic that none of his proteges, talented and skilled as they are, can ever hope to replace him. Either in the eyes of real world fans or the people of the DCU. I do think it's a good look that DC's trying to pass on the mantle and make Batman a legitimate legacy character. That's one aspect of DC that I love, they're all about legacies. But it's nigh impossible to pass on the mantle of Batman or Supes. When I'm 50 my son will still be reading the adventures of Bruce Wayne, which is comforting but paradoxically disheartening. I mean my father had Hal Jordan and Barry Allen and I had Kyle Rayner and Wally West. I'd love for my son to have "his" Batman.   "

Your right on batman and superman being irreplaceable,and that sadly has as much to do with the fans as it has to do with DC.Even now the resentment towards dick is shocking,especially since he's been in so many good books recently.I can see Damian working out ,they need a robin and we have others like Daken and Scar.
#33 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson should only be Batman when Bruce isn't around. Bruce is around, so Dick should go back to being Nightwing.

#34 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
"Dick Grayson should only be Batman when Bruce isn't around. Bruce is around, so Dick should go back to being Nightwing. "

LOL.
#35 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
"i liked Jasons variation of the Bat mantle but i ultimately would choose Dick Grayson. I like Bruces Batman and think it is good when it comes to instilling fear in the enemy. Dick just isnt as scary because he talks more, he smiles, and he works well with others.   If you want someone almost identical to Bruce, Tim would be the closest at this point. He has the ability to instill fear, and is a great detective. He lacks in fighting skill compared to Bruce and Dick but there are still few with more skill in the DCU then the Bat family and where he lacks in fighting skill he makes up for in planning.  Damien will eventually become the closest resemblance to Bruce when it comes to batman, he is already a skilled fighter/assassin, he is learning patience and detective skills now.   If i could choose i would have Bruce, Dick and Tim all be in the mantle of Batman at the same time. That trio is a good fight for anyone. "

I agree on most counts, but Batman #708 depicts Grayson coming into his own as a frightening "happy" Batman. Who else would halt a fight to let a thug land a free punch? Oh, and Tim has only displayed a novice ability to instill fear into his opponents, which he makes up for with impersonal planning. Name an instance where Tim, as Robin (red or otherwise) frightened an opponents out of his wits a la Batman.
#36 Posted by gridlock464 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

@silkcuts RE: Why do fans not older enough to truly know why Todd was voted to Die think he is more deserving then Dick to wear the cowl next?

@JonesDeini RE: Well it's no secret that I'm no fan of Jason Todd...to any extent. I prefer him in a box...underground...being eaten by worms. I generally avoid things he's in,

I agree whole heartily!!!

I dislike using the word hate, it is a strong word & people throw it around way too easily… having said that I hate Jason Todd! I hated HOW he became Robin, and I was happy when he was gone. I like how Tim proved he was worthy of being his protégé by deducing his secret identity.  Dick paid his dues… He is his own man and I feel he brings a lot to the table as Batman. In my heart he’ll always be Nightwing but as long as they are running with this Batman Inc idea is in good hands with Dick as Batman 2.0    

#37 Edited by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:  DICK can't be Batman, i'm pretty sure Bruce himself said that he didn't want Dick as Batman, In Battle For The Cowl... So Stop with Dick haha
#38 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rudyftw said:
"@entropy_aegis:  DICK can't be Batman, i'm pretty sure Bruce himself said that he didn't want Dick as Batman, In Battle For The Cowl... So Stop with Dick haha "

Jason can't be Batman either so you can stop with that HAHA,and Dick became Batman all the way back in the silverage under Bill Fingers pen,he also served a short stint during Prodigal.

Bane acknowledged it in Secret Six as well,Bruce is the ONLY true Batman.Dick is a damn good Fill in. 

#39 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @Rudyftw said:
"@entropy_aegis:  DICK can't be Batman, i'm pretty sure Bruce himself said that he didn't want Dick as Batman, In Battle For The Cowl... So Stop with Dick haha "

Jason can't be Batman either so you can stop with that HAHA,and Dick became Batman all the way back in the silverage under Bill Fingers pen,he also served a short stint during Prodigal.

Bane acknowledged it in Secret Six as well,Bruce is the ONLY true Batman.Dick is a damn good Fill in. 

"
This.
#40 Posted by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:  I know Todd can't be BATMAN .. I was trollin .. BUT seriously dude, Dick can't EVER be a perma Batman...

If not Damian, then Terry for sure... Dick makes a kick-ass NightWing i'll give him that, but Batman has to be a dark character, he just doesn't resemble bruce as much as the other characters... hes just too damn skippy.
#41 Posted by SmoothJammin (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is being written fine as Batman, theirs no reason for all the hating. If you're interested in the pensive inquisitive side of him, go read Detective Comics where he's all business tracking down killers and working complex cases with the GCPD.

If you want to see some serious male bonding, read Batman and Robin. This is the light hearted version that we all know and love who plays a role model to Damian with a colorful supporting cast. Pete Tomasi really has a handle on his character here.

His Batman title isn't too shabby either, reads just like a good action thriller flick. Expect a charming young daredevil batman who protects Gotham from organized crime and makes off with the girl every now and then.

JLA is alright too, his characterization needs a little work here but he serves the team well as a strong leader and I like it. Things are really starting to pick up with the new eclipso arc..

.. my point being, Dick Grayson is not a one dimensional hero, he's multifaceted and has layers, which makes him cooler than the rest of the Batman family. He's that guy you want to have a beer with. Bruce will never be happy as Bats and will die alone miserably, knowing full well that his mission was never completed and that he won't reach his nirvana. Dick will live proudly no matter what because in a world of tragedy he can continue to smile & embrace life for what it is. He'll live out his dreams, conscious of the fact that their will always be risks but that ultimately he has friends he can turn to when the going gets tough. Sure, no one can replace Bruce Wayne the person but theres also a price to be paid for calling yourself The Batman.

#42 Posted by brc2000 (1680 posts) - - Show Bio

If he had to be replaced, I'd stick with Dick, but I'd rather Bruce keep it for as long as I still read comics. I know that Jason is now flavor of the whatever probably thanks to Under the Red Hood, but he would be the absolute worst choice, and is not someone who I'd read a Batman book for. I love Batman's villains and there's no point if he's just going to kill them off. Keep Jason as the Red Hood.

#43 Posted by Evpraksiya (260 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't pick Dick, he merits his own name. He made some mistakes but doesn't deserve to live in the shadow of the Bat. Even if being an hero is about modesty. Their personalities are too different. Tim would be good. 

#44 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmoothJammin said:
"

Dick is being written fine as Batman, theirs no reason for all the hating. If you're interested in the pensive inquisitive side of him, go read Detective Comics where he's all business tracking down killers and working complex cases with the GCPD.

If you want to see some serious male bonding, read Batman and Robin. This is the light hearted version that we all know and love who plays a role model to Damian with a colorful supporting cast. Pete Tomasi really has a handle on his character here.

His Batman title isn't too shabby either, reads just like a good action thriller flick. Expect a charming young daredevil batman who protects Gotham from organized crime and makes off with the girl every now and then.

JLA is alright too, his characterization needs a little work here but he serves the team well as a strong leader and I like it. Things are really starting to pick up with the new eclipso arc..

.. my point being, Dick Grayson is not a one dimensional hero, he's multifaceted and has layers, which makes him cooler than the rest of the Batman family. He's that guy you want to have a beer with. Bruce will never be happy as Bats and will die alone miserably, knowing full well that his mission was never completed and that he won't reach his nirvana. Dick will live proudly no matter what because in a world of tragedy he can continue to smile & embrace life for what it is. He'll live out his dreams, conscious of the fact that their will always be risks but that ultimately he has friends he can turn to when the going gets tough. Sure, no one can replace Bruce Wayne the person but theres also a price to be paid for calling yourself The Batman.

"
You were fine until the last paragraph, and then, yeh.... Suffice it to say I disagree vehemently with the entire last paragraph.
#45 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rudyftw said:
" @entropy_aegis:  I know Todd can't be BATMAN .. I was trollin .. BUT seriously dude, Dick can't EVER be a perma Batman... If not Damian, then Terry for sure... Dick makes a kick-ass NightWing i'll give him that, but Batman has to be a dark character, he just doesn't resemble bruce as much as the other characters... hes just too damn skippy. "
Terry's a terrible Batman. He's a great superhero, but he's not the Batman. Hell, the whole point of Batman Beyond was that Terry wasn't Batman, he was just using the name. Bruce will always be Batman, even when he's old and dying, his legacy lives on, and that Bruce and Batman are one and the same. Hence the whole Bruce "in Terry's ear" thing.
#46 Posted by SmoothJammin (2329 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:
How is Dick a flat character? He has waaaaay more range than emo Tim/ sadistic Jason and even Bruce sometimes. Batman is interesting because of his intelligence, take that away and he's as textbook as they come. He devotes his life to being the legendary batman, unfortunately it doesn't leave much time for having a social life as opposed to Dick, who loves what he does and is pretty good with balancing the light & dark. But I digress, just my opinions after all.
#47 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmoothJammin: I never said Dick was a flat character. He's a great character. Bruce, however, is the greatest character.
#48 Edited by SmoothJammin (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:
So then how can you disagree with me entire statement lol

If Batman 1000000 was proof of anything it was that the future ain't gettin any better..

Dick is aware that he can't save every life. He realizes that helping others is the only way he knows how to live, but this doesn't limit him like it does Bruce who eats sleeps and breathes justice.

It bugs me that some people are so blinded by the overhyped Batman, they can't accept his deficiencies and rule out anyone who theatens to budge his status in the DCU. I'm willing to bet that if Bruce Wayne blatantly farted in a room, some die hard bat fan would say it was them.

#49 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmoothJammin said:
"

@FadeToBlackBolt:
So then how can you disagree with me entire statement lol

If Batman 1000000 was proof of anything it was that the future ain't gettin any better..

Dick is aware that he can't save every life. He realizes that helping others is the only way he knows how to live, but this doesn't limit him like it does Bruce who eats sleeps and breathes justice.

It bugs me that some people are so blinded by the overhyped Batman, they can't accept his deficiencies and rule out anyone who theatens to budge his status in the DCU. I'm willing to bet that if Bruce Wayne blatantly farted in a room, some die hard bat fan would take say it was them.

"
I disagreed with your statement in saying that as Dick is layered he's the coolest Bat family member, when Bruce is far more layered.

I'm not blinded by anything. Batman is the greatest character of all time, as far as I'm concerned, and I have evidence to back that up. I've never cared if people like Dick more, you can hate Batman and love Grayson, but there's still no denying that Bruce is the better character.

Bruce 'ineffectiveness' is a meta-problem and the fault of the society, not Bruce's.
#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (13588 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke is better than both HAHA.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.