Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Detective comics or Dark Knight any good?

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JoeEddie

I am already following Snyder/Capullo's work and I want to pick up another Bat title. Specifically, a book that is not influenced by Grant Morrison.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tomlikesfries

Layman is the new writer for Detective Comics. He wrote #13. It is pretty good.

Batman and Robin is also good, but issue #13 was disappointing.

Nightwing is also great, but just like Batman and Robin, issue #13 wasn't really good.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoeEddie

@tomlikesfries:

Thanks

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#4  Edited By tomlikesfries

@JoeEddie said:

@tomlikesfries:

Thanks

No problem

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8663c51cc2e
    deactivated-5a8663c51cc2e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

They probably all have different creative teams from when I tried them out but apart from the main Batman title, I think Batman and Robin was my favorite.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I Like B & R and Dark knight <3

Cyberkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cyberkiwi

None of the runs are any good. Detective was for me the worst of the two. 1 because it's the flagship series of the editor and it should NEVER be that bad, though the Penguin arc could have been much much better. As for the Dark Knight, it is a real good mess with One Face, and of course Bane who looks like a dummy out of some trash dimension... But it was predictable since excellent artists like Daniel and Finch are simply not good at writing.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeEddie

@Cyberkiwi:

Yeah, I hate the way Bane looks. Probably can blame the Arkham games for that

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoeEddie

Is there continuity between the different bat books?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmashBrawler

@JoeEddie said:

Is there continuity between the different bat books?

I guess so. Dollmaker has been referenced sometimes (more recently in Batman #13). Batman Inc. referenced the Nobody arc in Batman and Robin.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoeEddie

@SmashBrawler:

Thanks

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TDK_1997

Layman is now on Detective Comics and his debut issue was pretty good.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JakeN7

Batman and Robin is the best choice. Detective Comics just got a new creative writing team on issue #13 so that's a good jumping on point. Also, I don't care if you said "a book that is not influenced by Grant Morrison" because Batman Incorporated is fantastic so I'm recommending it anyways (I know a lot of people have a problem with Grant's style of writing but trust me, Batman Inc. is nothing like the psychological, time-leaping, WTF story you're probably expecting. Just try an issue.) Haven't read Dark Knight but I hear it's hit or miss. Nightwing #13 is also a great jumping on point and it's not as bad as most people say and Tom DeFalco is just writing like 2 issues while Kyle Higgins puts the finishing touches on his Death of the Family storyline. Batgirl is ridiculously well-written but is in the middle of the Death of the Family crossover/ at then end of the Knightfall story arc. I would get Batgirl #0 though, that book is fantastic. Also haven't read Batwoman, Catwoman or Batwing (but of course Batwing is about a character that Grant Morrison created...) but I hear they're all pretty good.

But yeah, I'd go with Batman and Robin. They started a new place-holder arc in preparation for Death of the Family in issue #13. I really enjoyed it but I did think the "zombie" premise was a bit silly. Kinda wish they'd just jump in the deep end of the pool and make the story 100% about Death of the Family instead of just having Damian have nightmares about it the first few panels. Also, Batman and Robin #13 references Batman Incorporated #1 so you should get that as well just so you can try it out (I promise you'll like it) and then read Batman and Robin #13.

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ValendianKnight

I couldn't get into The Dark Knight as much as I would have liked, but Detective Comics is great(though not as good as the main Batman title, of course).

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I would suggest getting into Batman and Robin or Nightwing. Both of those are very good. Layman's debut issue on Detective Comics was good, but its too early in his run to really judge the series quality. Since Hurwitz took over Dark Knight, its gotten significantly better, but it doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table. We're seeing the same old stories in Dark Knight (Scarecrow STILL getting Batman with fear gas, same old tricks) just written relatively well.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

Layman's debut issue was pretty cool,I guess it will be focusing on the criminal/underworld aspect of the Batman mythos.TDK seems more like a dark,psychological thriller.My sole problem with TDK is that it's devoting too much time to the current Scarecrow arc( does'nt look like it's doing much for Scarecrow creatively speaking) which I feel should have been over by now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.