Details Revealed for DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #1

Posted by G-Man (32704 posts) - - Show Bio

We've been seeing the release of the "New 52" annuals. We saw the announcement before that Mr. Freeze would be appearing in BATMAN ANNUAL #1 so who might we expect to see in DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #1?

Today DC has revealed that Black Mask (seen in DETECTIVE COMICS #9 last week) will be featured in the annual.

The annual will be written by Tony Salvador Daniel and feature art by Romano Molenaar and Sandu Florea. Black Mask was thought to be dead and during the mayhem of the Night of the Owls crossover...let's just say certain developments occurred with Roman Sionis.

DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #1 goes on sale August 29.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes ! The annual is coming soon. I love that artwork!!

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33091 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a shame Detective Comics is crap

#3 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11390 posts) - - Show Bio

I might pick this up. I dunno. I haven't been a fan of DC since issue 3 [dropped it after that].....has it gotten any better?

#4 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does DC let Tony Daniels continue to write one of their premiere titles?

He is a talented artist, but not a great writer. Even if he has more time to work on Detective after giving up Hawkman, I doubt that the quality of the comic will improve.

DC, you did a great job in turning over Batman: The Dark Knight to Gregg Hurwitz, please follow suit and find a better writer for Detective.

#5 Posted by Red_Robin212 (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this will explain where he got his mind control abilities

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33091 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth said:

Why does DC let Tony Daniels continue to write one of their premiere titles?

He is a talented artist, but not a great writer. Even if he has more time to work on Detective after giving up Hawkman, I doubt that the quality of the comic will improve.

DC, you did a great job in turning over Batman: The Dark Knight to Gregg Hurwitz, please follow suit and find a better writer for Detective.

In my opinion this book should be turned in to a Pulp/Noir crime anthology starring characters like Batman, The Question, Sandman and the Crimson Avenger and should be written by Brian Azzarelo
#7 Posted by stormtrance1618 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

too bad detective comics has sucked

#8 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

damn, I was hoping it was Eggman, or King Tutt.

#9 Posted by mickeymayhew (211 posts) - - Show Bio

nice cover, but as it's Daniel writing I won't get too worked up
#10 Posted by Red_Robin212 (89 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:I'd really like that, It'd be something different

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33091 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red_Robin212 said:

@Red_Robin212 said:

yea theres already like 4 straight up Batman super hero books, this should be something different
#12 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

With Roman possibly coming back, this just cannot be cool enough! And of course it goes without saying that I'm totally awaiting Freeze's return.

#13 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

So wait could anyone please tell me how many Annuals there are gonna be and for which titles if they know?

#14 Posted by movieartman (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:

the most recent issue that ties in to Night of the Owls is fantastic

#15 Posted by movieartman (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

to thoose hating on Daniels Detective comics the most recent issue that ties in to Night of the Owls is fantastic Read it

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33091 posts) - - Show Bio
@movieartman said:

@spiderbat87:

one issue out of nine is not a redeeming factor 
#17 Posted by mattwing87 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: So will Batman Dark Knight be getting better? The first story arc made no sense and had no conclusion. I will read the Night of the Owls tie in and see if gets better with the new writer and the Scarecrow story that is supposed to happen after Night of the Owls

#18 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@mattwing87 said:

@jsphsmth: So will Batman Dark Knight be getting better? The first story arc made no sense and had no conclusion. I will read the Night of the Owls tie in and see if gets better with the new writer and the Scarecrow story that is supposed to happen after Night of the Owls

Presumably yes. As noted by jsphsmth, the Dark Knight is getting a new writer named Gregg Hurwitz, who recently did an amazing stint on a Penguin miniseries not long ago. I mean, Penguin, not really the place I thought I'd be saying "whoa" and yet I was. So yes, it seems like they're throwing a real scripting talent on the book...

#19 Posted by IronHerc (93 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

that's why there's batman instead ^_^

#20 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

whackk....whackk...wacckkk!

#21 Edited by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

In my opinion this book should be turned in to a Pulp/Noir crime anthology starring characters like Batman, The Question, Sandman and the Crimson Avenger and should be written by Brian Azzarelo

YES

maybe include green arrow and martian manhunter sometimes like the old 50/60s detective comics

#22 Posted by Red_Robin212 (89 posts) - - Show Bio

@elayem98: And I bet it'd better than Current "Green Arrow", Dear christ that comic is terrible

#23 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Robin212 said:

@elayem98: And I bet it'd better than Current "Green Arrow", Dear christ that comic is terrible

Detective Comics may not be great, but it's STILL better than Green Arrow already.

#24 Edited by Red_Robin212 (89 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Mighty Monarch: Maybe I should have said "It'll be better than Current "Green Arrow, That comic is terrible"

That makes more sense

#25 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@movieartman said:

@spiderbat87:

one issue out of nine is not a redeeming factor

issue 1 was good to so it's 2/9

#26 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

#27 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Robin212: No your sentence was fine, I just meant Green Arrow is REALLY bad, and Detective Comics is currently better than current Green Arrow.

#28 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti: So far there will be 3 annuals in May (5 week month): Teen Titans Annual (The Culling Part 1) came out last week. Batman Annual (featuring Mr. Freeze) and Animal Man Annual (featuring past battle between Red, Green and Rot) is coming out on the 5th Wednesday (May 30)

#29 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman. enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 Posted by BatWatch (2612 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never felt like Black Mask was much of a villain. He was good during War Games, but beyond that...meh.

Black Mask is one of the few Batman villains that could benefit from a reboot. I hope they are able to give him a more distinctive feel because he has been fairly generic to me.

#31 Posted by The Stegman (24045 posts) - - Show Bio
@PsychoKnights:  

I've never felt like Black Mask was much of a villain. He was good during War Games, but beyond that...meh.

Black Mask is one of the few Batman villains that could benefit from a reboot. I hope they are able to give him a more distinctive feel because he has been fairly generic to me.

I actually love Black Mask...I find him funny, especially how he was portrayed in Under the Red Hood, true he's a bit of a generic mobster, but hey, he's fun nonetheless. 

#32 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the last issue of Tec was good.

#33 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

good to see him back!

#34 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Why doesn't Tim Drake become protagonist of Tec and have Fabian Nicieza write him again...just saying.

#35 Posted by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

So getting this

#36 Posted by RalfvdH (649 posts) - - Show Bio

A My friend Romano is doing the art.... Well at least I know the art will be good... :)

Win for Dutch artists!!! :)

#37 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't wait!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.