Destiny?

#1 Posted by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

So I noticed lots of writers love adding to Batman's pre history (I'm thinking Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder lol), all making it seem like Bruce was destined to be Batman. So my question is do you prefer to think that Batman was an accident or was it destiny?

Personally I prefer to think that it was an accident that created Batman, and Batman's whole drive is to stop more of those accidents. Plus I feel like making his ancestors Bat people, or his parents secretly awful people or crime fighters or whatever is all conspiracy theory and it ruins the essence of Batman for me. What do you think?

#2 Posted by BatFan41487 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Total accident. If you go with destined then it seems like all that hard work to be batman was for nothing. Just my opinion.

#3 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I prefer the creation as an accident too. I like to think that Bruce would have continued to live a fat, happy existence if not for his parents getting gunned down.

#4 Posted by MrShway88 (669 posts) - - Show Bio

Accident is better for the character.

#5 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18404 posts) - - Show Bio

Accident/chance.

What are peoples thoughts on when he was in Wayne Manor and a Bat flew through the window and that is where he got the inspiration to name himself Batman?

#6 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm....as ive read Year One, I think it was an accident that happened to be aligned with his toubles if one can explain it that way.

#7 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio
@Reignmaker said:
Yeah, I prefer the creation as an accident too. I like to think that Bruce would have continued to live a fat, happy existence if not for his parents getting gunned down.
#8 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, how can an accident give you the idea to become a Bat, and fight crime, all at the same time? some sort of coincidence must have happened in order for Bruce to snap and think, "yeah imma dress up as a bat"

#9 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

Accident. I think it's better that way for the character as a whole. That there really was no meaning behind his parent's murder, no master plan, no great design. It speaks to the dark heart of Gotham City, a place where any random person can suffer and be brought low. And it speaks to the strength of Bruce's character that he was able to pull something from that tragedy.

#10 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14954 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

Ok, how can an accident give you the idea to become a Bat, and fight crime, all at the same time? some sort of coincidence must have happened in order for Bruce to snap and think, "yeah imma dress up as a bat"

I think it was a little bit of both. That scene is so epic imo.

#11 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14954 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller can be a genius when he wants to.

#12 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine:

I'm going with accident mostly because I think destiny is hogwash. X.x

#13 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

How is that scene epic? :)

#14 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The way Morrison has written it, it's not destined that Bruce become Batman. It's not preordained, however, what happened was that as Bruce became Batman, something else was born. Batman is an immortal and timeless entity. Bruce was always going to be Batman, because he became Batman.  

The Bat flew through the window because in Bruce it found a kindred spirit. Whether the Bat was truly a physical creature or not is, as is often the case, up to one's interpretation of the scene. Did the Bat break the window? Or did the Batman break through Bruce's soul and psyche to consume him?

#15 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14954 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN: I don't know, I just like it.

#16 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14954 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: intresting analysis.

#17 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

The way Morrison has written it, it's not destined that Bruce become Batman. It's not preordained, however, what happened was that as Bruce became Batman, something else was born. Batman is an immortal and timeless entity. Bruce was always going to be Batman, because he became Batman. The Bat flew through the window because in Bruce it found a kindred spirit. Whether the Bat was truly a physical creature or not is, as is often the case, up to one's interpretation of the scene. Did the Bat break the window? Or did the Batman break through Bruce's soul and psyche to consume him?

wow...never thought of it that way..

#18 Posted by SupBatz (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

Personally I prefer to think that it was an accident that created Batman, and Batman's whole drive is to stop more of those accidents. Plus I feel like making his ancestors Bat people, or his parents secretly awful people or crime fighters or whatever is all conspiracy theory and it ruins the essence of Batman for me. What do you think?

Couldn't have said it better.

#19 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

agreed

#20 Posted by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

The way Morrison has written it, it's not destined that Bruce become Batman. It's not preordained, however, what happened was that as Bruce became Batman, something else was born. Batman is an immortal and timeless entity. Bruce was always going to be Batman, because he became Batman. The Bat flew through the window because in Bruce it found a kindred spirit. Whether the Bat was truly a physical creature or not is, as is often the case, up to one's interpretation of the scene. Did the Bat break the window? Or did the Batman break through Bruce's soul and psyche to consume him?

Doesn't that sound like destiny to you? Idk I just can't vibe with that concept. I believe that the Bat that flew into his window is just like in Nolanverse how Bruce fell into the well, both incidences were of fear and thats what inspired his MO. And both were accidents.

#21 Posted by JasonTodd13 (423 posts) - - Show Bio

cant it be both?

#22 Posted by redhoodnet (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Well.. If you look at Flashpoint... then any Wayne could have become Batman... so maybe it is the destiny of a Wayne to become Batman but not just Bruce.

#23 Posted by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@JasonTodd13: I'd say on a philosophical level it totally can be. But by adding more and more to Bruce's prehistory it takes away any concept of it being an accident.

Think about it like this, I am a fat kid that grew up and started working out and now I have a six pack. Could be destiny, could not be.

But then you add more to my back story so now I am a a fat kid but all previous generations of mine had perfect six packs. And there is a modeling agency that follows my family and if they slightly infiltrate their lives to ensure another generation of six packs. Plus out of no where my long lost brother (who I didn't know I had) came back, also with a six pack, and became my personal trainer to help me achieve my goal. And one day I was doing homework and I find out that my ancient ancestor was greek and invented the world's love for abdominal muscles. Oh and did I mention I have a pet chimpanzee, also with a six pack?

Now it almost seems like my whole life was orchestrated around me getting a six pack. And when it gets to that point it feels more ridiculous and takes away the whole point of Batman. To avenge those wronged by crime, all due to a random guy who shot his parents in an alley.

#24 Posted by JasonTodd13 (423 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: yeah, it sounds like to me its more dstiny than accident.

#25 Posted by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really like the whole "bat crashes through a window, sudden inspiration" thing. I prefer the version where Bruce falls down a well on the Wayne estate and disturbs a group of bats, which then proceed to scare the crap out of him. Seems more natural than "AND THEN A BAT FLEW THROUGH THE WINDOW BECAUSE WE NEEDED IT TO FOR STORY PURPOSES."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.