Denny O'Neal and Neal Adams Batman Comics

#1 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

i heardthese two men have made good Batman comics. is it true? I was thinking of picking them up and want to know if its worth the buy. I heard this is the two men who brought back Batman to being dark and grity from the silver age era, and also had him traveling all around the world fightingcrime and not just in Gotham City.

#2 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

This was the team that created Ra’s Al Ghul and Talia and yes, they did rescue Batman from an era of campiness influenced by the televsion series. The material was amazing, but by todays standards, it is a little dated. I did read it at the time when I was a small child and I have no doubt that that they are the reason that Batman is my favorite hero.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Their stories are still kinda cheesy by today's standards. It's an interesting flashback into older story-telling, but don't expect War & Peace... they were very good for their time.

#4 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't this the time Batman was a globe trotter thoughfighting crime all over the world like in the brave and the bold?

#5 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Smiths: Not so much. He followed Ra's around the globe for a variety of reasons.

#6 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than what was being produced at that time,the decent one's have been recollected in a tpb called Tales of the Demon.

#7 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Would love for the next Batman film series to be based off of the O'Neal and Adams Batman comics.

#8 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

O'Niel and Adams run (about# 234 - #250 something) included a classic Two-face tale in #234, the introduction of Ra's Al Ghul in # 244 (I think) and the return of the homicidal Joker in #251. A brilliant run for its time and remember this was before the re-introduction of the darker side of the dark knight, which didn't happen until almost a decade later.

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

The creative duo of O'Neil and Adams was ahead of their time in terms of both writing and drawing.

The stories they made were truly great and hold up even today. I definitely recommend their work on Batman.

#10 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a huge fan of Denny O'Neil. But he's important mainly because he's credited for having brought Batman out of the campy sixties and made him into a dark figure of the night again. He also lays the groundwork for Santa Prisca and Venom (the steroid Bane uses) in Legends of the Dark Knight: Shaman and Legends of the Dark Knight: Venom, respectively, and he created Talia and Ra's Al Ghul and is mainly responsible for Azrael. By today's standards, his writing is rather flat. And in my opinion, if you're looking for a good, pre-Crisis Batman story, I would point you to Steve Englehart's Batman: Strange Apparitions instead. But he's definitely one of the key writers in Batman's history and is worth a look, if just for that.

#11 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

If you are looking for stories where Batman is traveling around the world, then the past and future Batman Inc stories might be your best bet.

#12 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

I'm not a huge fan of Denny O'Neil. But he's important mainly because he's credited for having brought Batman out of the campy sixties and made him into a dark figure of the night again. He also lays the groundwork for Santa Prisca and Venom (the steroid Bane uses) in Legends of the Dark Knight: Shaman and Legends of the Dark Knight: Venom, respectively, and he created Talia and Ra's Al Ghul and is mainly responsible for Azrael. By today's standards, his writing is rather flat. And in my opinion, if you're looking for a good, pre-Crisis Batman story, I would point you to Steve Englehart's Batman: Strange Apparitions instead. But he's definitely one of the key writers in Batman's history and is worth a look, if just for that.

Is'nt that the same story where Hugo used that mist machine?

#13 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Yep. That part of the story was a little silly. But I think what really sold it for me was the depiction of Joker.

#14 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

@entropy_aegis: Yep. That part of the story was a little silly. But I think what really sold it for me was the depiction of Joker.

I guess I'll read it again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.