Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Definitive Batman

Bat_Mite51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bat_Mite51

I was recently re-reading my copy of Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne by Grant Morrison, a story that I really enjoyed, and got to wondering: If you could pick one Batman story that you think really defines the character of Batman, what would it be? I thought The Return of Bruce Wayne did a pretty good job at showing what Batman could be at his most core concept. As Superman puts it "Surviving is what he does." But he was also a fighter, a defender of the weak. Throughout this story, he doesn't remember anything or know the people around him but stops at nothing to help those being bullied or threatened.

No Caption Provided
    So what do you think? If there was just one book that could define Batman in all his glory, what would it be and if you can give some of your reasons as to why?
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Bat_Mite51: hmm...that is a very tough question. what story defines Batman?

Off the top of my head I would say Cataclysm or Aftershock could be good answers (well, maybe not good, but its the first ones I think of which are adequate), because those connecting arcs show that Batman is connected to the city and to the people in that city. Its the city which makes him what he is. So, if the city is rough, then he gets rough.

And thats what I can think of right now. Maybe I'll think of something tommorow...

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

Return of Bruce Wayne no question.It's the ultimate love letter to Batman,nothing comes close IMO.

Bat_Mite51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bat_Mite51
    @The Poet: I do like that idea also, Batman being defined by Gotham City, its the place where he suffered and doesn't want anyone else to have to suffer. Scott Snyder has said that this run on Batman is gonna be about the relationship between Batman and Gotham City so I'm interested in seeing how that's gonna go.
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Nolans Films, hehehe....

Hard to say, i could say Grant Morrison does an amazing job, but for the the defenitive Batman is Chuck Jones Batman.

Avatar image for playstationfanboy
    PlaystationFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PlaystationFanboy

I wanna say No Man's Land. The fact that he stayed in Gotham just says it all. Also, when Bruce was explaining his defense on Gotham and then it showed highlights of him as Batman going along with his statements was a perfect touch.

Bat_Mite51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bat_Mite51

I did enjoy No Man's Land, it was Batman trying to rebuild the city he loves in a way. But I don't know if I want to say that Batman is Gotham City or vice versa. It is a big part of who he is, but like I was saying about the Return of Bruce Wayne, even when he didn't know who he was or where he was(although it was Gotham in its early stages) he was fighting off crime even though he had no idea who they were. Its a deeper connection than just Gotham City but rather he is a fighter of all crime.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RedOwl_1

Devil's advocate,looks like he is the only one in Gotham that really knows what justice is :'D

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Batman: R.I.P

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

....All-Star Batman & Robin....

battyfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By battyfan1

definitive batman.....hmmmmm......NML

anything written by morrison...

can it be shows as well......if yes.......the definitive batman/bruce is the BTAS batman......he is THE batman.....

DarqKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarqKnight

War games. I was extremely satisfied with it. And honorable mentions to The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and The Man Who Laughs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.