Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Death of The Family Reading Order? Please help.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By renamed040924

I'm looking to finally pick up Death of The Family and actually read it for myself. Looking on Amazon though, I'm a bit confused.

There are two collections of the story. The Joker: Death of the Family, and Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family. I know that before the actual event, there were a bunch of issues detailing Joker's encounters with the other members of the Bat Family. I'm thinking that the former book is about that, then the latter is the actual Death of The Family book where he confronts Batman. Is that correct, or do I have it wrong? If so, are both of them worth reading? Or just the main story?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is correct.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv said:

@jayc1324 said:

That is correct.

Thanks.

So would y'all say the side stories are worth reading?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really now? Do you feel this way about the whole story too? I know many fans weren't pleased with Death of The Family, but I enjoy the whole "Joker is sorta in love with Batman" angle, so I thought I would like the story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: No I love Death of the Family. If you like the joker being in love with Batman, then you will love this story just as I did. The way Batman reacts to everything and the way Scott Snyder presents it all is amazing. Death of the family is awesome. The side stories however are just OK. You can if you want to but you don't really need to read them.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nickzambuto: A few months back I basically asked the same question regarding the side stories. And the general consensus was that they weren't recommended reading. After reading the story itself I will say the story itself offers more than enough weight without having to go read the side stories.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Thanks for the info. In the end curiosity got the better of me and I ordered them both. Here's hoping it wasn't a waste of money.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: The only side story that was good was the Batman and Robin Tie-In. The others were meh.

In the end though, it's a good thing you ordered both.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mrdecepticonleader: Thanks for the info. In the end curiosity got the better of me and I ordered them both. Here's hoping it wasn't a waste of money.

Cool.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By renamed040924

@_mongul said:

@nickzambuto: The only side story that was good was the Batman and Robin Tie-In. The others were meh.

In the end though, it's a good thing you ordered both.

Makes a more complete story right?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.